1 minute ago, Gav said:

Due to a global shortage of PPE equipment NHS staff are being asked to use it sparingly and rightly so, back office staff who don't come into contact with patients should not be wearing masks and gloves at the expense of nurses on the front line, makes perfect sense whilst stocks are low.

Totally disagree it's front line staff who don't have enough and are told to use if sparingly. Also they don't have the right quality or amount of the stuff. 

And as for.carers outside of the NHS they have it even worse. 

• Replies 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaddyrovers

• Gav

• den

• RoverDom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

False dichotomy alert. I don't quite see how the two are related. I mean it's not an either or is it? Given the furlough and mortgage schemes (both excellent btw) are already in place before Cumm

Have spent a couple of days thinking what to write on here as I am utterly bewildered as to what this so called government is up to regarding schools. Firstly, before Christmas my school had seve

as you know i dont post on here anymore but i will this once just to wish everyone the best and hope everyone stays safe and comes thru at the other side  of this sad mess.  i would also like to

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Gav said:

Due to a global shortage of PPE equipment NHS staff are being asked to use it sparingly and rightly so, back office staff who don't come into contact with patients should not be wearing masks and gloves at the expense of nurses on the front line, makes perfect sense whilst stocks are low.

Deflection tactics Gav. The shortage is because we got there too late.

Edited by den
  • Moderation Lead
13 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

It’s strange we haven’t seen boris in hospital 

Were you expecting him to post a selfie from his hospital bed on Twitter?

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Inglorious basturk said:

Did I say that ? No I didn’t. don’t be an arse 

Of course not. But why on earth would pictures of him in hospital be made available to the public? 

1 minute ago, den said:

Deflection tactics Gav. The shortage is because we got there too late.

The UK has been working on this since early Jan, we didn't have our first case until the end of Jan, so that statement simply isn't true den.

PPE is in short supply across the globe, we are not alone in struggling to source equipment thats why Burberry and our car industry have been commissioned to make visors and ventilator.

Tough times, I feel so sorry for all our front line staff and the thousands of people impacted by this virus, but not everything is the fault of the government.  

49 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Theoretically, shouldn't you always have yeast left?

Only if its fresh yeast. Ours is dried so I dont think it makes more or not easily. My son in law is trying making his own yeast from dates. Dont know how that is going

Not seen it posted elsewhere, but heard on the news last night that King Kenny has tested positive, although showing no signs at present.

At 69, he's now very close to that group deemed as high risk. Hope everything pans out ok. 

Get well soon Sir Kenny.

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Not only are the German Army donating ventilators, but Turkish forces are donating 100k hazmats 100k surgical masks, and 59k N95 masks.

Grateful ofc, but it looks like we're having to receive handouts from other countries because we didn't prepare in advance.

The UK's lack of preparedness for this was criminal negligence.

Even North Macedonia is way ahead of Britain in its readiness and quality of response.

15 minutes ago, dave birch said:

Must be a worldwide deflection Den.

It’s a deliberate attempt by the government to put the blame on NHS staff for equipment shortages. In the present climate where these people are risking their lives for others it’s a bloody insult. Heroes when it suits the government, wasteful and negligent when it doesn’t. 

So stop being obtuse.

12 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The procurement for new PPE is like the Wild West right now. My mum works in that sector - there are no ‘friends’ anymore.

Our Chinese guests for January (planned), February and March (unplanned) have five factories near Shanghai manufacturing PPE. 

Raw material costs are 30 times higher now than they were in January.

The UK's attempt to emergency procure has been trampled in the dust because until 31 January this would have been done by the EU. The virus came at the worst possible time to be switching from a proven system to a Brexited make it up as you go.

Apart from FEMA, Trump has dismantled all American procurement co-ordination and made America a spivs' paradise in sourcing PPE.

China got so alarmed they withdrew export licenses from 90% of factories making PPE last Thursday and every shipment is now individually checked.

The most famous case of "faulty" Chinese masks are 60 million in the Netherlands- whoever buying didn't realise there is a difference between N95 for medical use and N95 for industrial use and bought the cheaper industrial ones... However, mostly it was unlicensed unregulated Chinese factories making faulty goods and Chinese intermediaries price gouging which has brought China rightly into disrepute.

Does anyone really believe Hancocks claim that there is enough PPE to go round as long as nursing staff use it properly? Honestly?

no, there very obviously isn’t. I don’t believe him. He’s lieing.

on the one hand there’s a world wide shortage, on the other there’s enough to go round as long as nurses/doctors use it properly. Bullsh1t.

Edited by den

Apparently John Van Tam shut down robert peston at one of the press conferences this week (cant remember which day) but I didn't actually see that particular briefing. Does anyone have a link to it cos I'd quite like to see peston taken down a notch and I cant seem to find it on mr google. 

2 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

2017/2018 winter 50,100 died of flu in the UK. The average every year is 17,000....

20,000 deaths will be just another normal year.

I think you've missed the point. How many NHS workers caught the flu and died from patient contact in that year?

3 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

2017/2018 winter 50,100 died of flu in the UK. The average every year is 17,000....

This isn’t flu. These are 10,000 deaths on top of the flu deaths. We don’t get one or the other.

11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think you've missed the point. How many NHS workers caught the flu and died from patient contact in that year?

I imagine there is always a high number "on the sick". Working with sick people all day would tend to bring that hazard.

So I imagine a few. Do you have the number ?

32 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

20,000+17,000 won't be another normal year.

The year 50,100 died of flu the vaccination was wrong and was judged to be 40% effective. The vaccination for covid-19 is 0% effective as we don't have one.

50,100 in 2017/18 was the largest amount of influenza deaths since Winter 1975/76. Both were anomalies.

If anything, 2017/18 gives us a glimpse of what happens when a virus is allowed to run its course without intervention.

19 minutes ago, booth said:

20,000+17,000 won't be another normal year.

The year 50,100 died of flu the vaccination was wrong and was judged to be 40% effective. The vaccination for covid-19 is 0% effective as we don't have one.

50,100 in 2017/18 was the largest amount of influenza deaths since Winter 1975/76. Both were anomalies.

If anything, 2017/18 gives us a glimpse of what happens when a virus is allowed to run its course without intervention.

Did not know that. Great post.