• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaddyrovers

• Gav

• den

• RoverDom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

False dichotomy alert. I don't quite see how the two are related. I mean it's not an either or is it? Given the furlough and mortgage schemes (both excellent btw) are already in place before Cumm

Have spent a couple of days thinking what to write on here as I am utterly bewildered as to what this so called government is up to regarding schools. Firstly, before Christmas my school had seve

All I can say is it's a nice bonus as a key worker that my son arrived today instead of his due date of 22nd December. Work have very generously offered me extended Pat Leave for 3 weeks full pay as o

Posted Images

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

2017/2018 winter 50,100 died of flu in the UK. The average every year is 17,000....

20,000 deaths will be just another normal year.

If we hit 20,000 deaths shutting everything down, what would we hit if we didn't shut down and had the same social circumstances of 2017/2018 ?

Also why are nurses, doctors and carehome staff saying they've never seen anything like this if it happened just 2 years ago? Why can't I see any of them coming out and saying "it's just like 2018"?

Edited by Hasta
3 minutes ago, den said:

We are currently Conducting 1500 test a day. Just a bit short of Hancocks aim of 100,000 a day by end of April.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-national-coronavirus-testing-centre-only-conducting-1500-tests-a-day-11971991

We are conducting far more than 1500 tests a day, and have been for some time. 

1 minute ago, Hasta said:

We are conducting far more than 1500 tests a day, and have been for some time. 

I don’t know, this is Sky’s article tonight. How do you know it’s wrong Hasta?

7 minutes ago, den said:

I don’t know, this is Sky’s article tonight. How do you know it’s wrong Hasta?

Because it quotes "the new testing centre" as doing only 1500 tests, not the entire country.  We already know we are over the 10,000 mark from previous reports.

The article straight away says that when the new testing centre is up to speed it is meant to be able to do 25,000 tests a day. The remaining tests will come from other testing centres.

Personally I doubt we will consistently get the 100,000 test a day figure.  But in your eagerness to post more bad news and anti-government rhetoric, you've not even read that properly Den. 

Edited by Hasta
6 hours ago, 47er said:

Like the 100000 tests a week by the end of April will turn out to be.

Hancock is an absolute disgrace. 

12 minutes ago, den said:

We are currently Conducting 1500 test a day. Just a bit short of Hancocks aim of 100,000 a day by end of April.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-national-coronavirus-testing-centre-only-conducting-1500-tests-a-day-11971991

I think you are wrong. 

He will definitely hit his target.

He wouldn't have said it otherwise. It's politician playbook page 1 - set a target that is measurable and achievable,  and then when you hit it, you can say: "See, I did what I said I would!"

Glossing over the fact that it would still be about a month too late. 

I mean, he's left himself so much wiggle room. "By the end of April.." Basically leaves him with 2.5 weeks to plan, build,  ramp things up in advance. And then, as long as he does 100k on 30th April, the box is ticked. (Might have only done 30k on the 28th) 

This article from BBC on it is decent:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-52234061

Gotta say, this bit surprised me a bit:

More significant may be higher health spending:

• Germany spent €4,271 (£3,744) per person on healthcare (11.1% of gross domestic product - the value of goods and services produced in the country) in 2016
  • The UK spent €3,566 per person on healthcare (9.7% of GDP) in 2016
  • The EU average is 9.9% of GDP
11 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Because it quotes "the new testing centre" as doing only 1500 tests, not the entire country.  We already know we are over the 10,000 mark from previous reports.

The article straight away says that when the new testing centre is up to speed it is meant to be able to do 25,000 tests a day. The remaining tests will come from other testing centres.

Personally I doubt we will consistently get the 100,000 test a day figure.  But in your eagerness to post more bad news and anti-government rhetoric, you've not even read that properly Den. 

Ah, fair enough. I should have known the correct number because Priti Patel gave it to us at today’s press conference.

She said it was  "Three hundred thousand and thirty four, nine hundred and seventy four thousand tests carried out across the UK"

Good job Diane Abbott didn’t say that.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

It'd be nice if Patel could get though a death toll announcement without smirking. Vile woman.

She's had a month to get ready for this and she managed to get through half an hour without telling us anything we didn't know apart from mangling a very long number. I found myself wishing that big box she was stood on was really a trap door and somebody would open it so I wouldn't have to listen to her any more. She'd be out of her depth on Blackburn council. 

3 hours ago, Silas said:

think you are wrong. 

He will definitely hit his target.

We'll see eh? He'll be desperate to get close.

He needs a win badly after his huge insult to NHS workers.

3 hours ago, Silas said:

More significant may be higher health spending:

• Germany spent €4,271 (£3,744) per person on healthcare (11.1% of gross domestic product - the value of goods and services produced in the country) in 2016
  • The UK spent €3,566 per person on healthcare (9.7% of GDP) in 2016
  • The EU average is 9.9% of GDP

Doesn't surprise me.

Edited by 47er

Patel is a feeble excuse for a secretary of state. Too aware of her own failings to even risk an appearance before a select committee, she is wheeled out on the quiet Saturday evening run and even makes a hash of that.

Doctors and nurses don’t “feel” there is a PPE supply problem - it’s a fact. It’s a pandemic- so yes the stuff will be in heavy demand. The government has got to do better on supply. A proper apology rather than this mealy mouthed rubbish is in order.

https://www.ft.com/content/77be85ed-aaa6-44be-8fb4-c268f064faf7

8 hours ago, den said:

Malta has hit over 1,000 tests a day.

Germany is doing over 500,000 tests a day.

Now. 

100,000 per day at the end of April is a pathetic target which is wholly inadequate for the job needed.

If Britain wants to come out of lock down safely, the target should be 10 million tests a day.

Edited by philipl

The UK locked down too late and didn't have enough testing capacity to determine the scale of the outbreak or isolate cases. This should not be a controversial thing to say.

Government should apologise.

Just listened to the recording of Hancock saying they’d have to investigate whether NHS staff that died ACTUALLY contracted Coronovirus through their work.

He’s worse than an insurance company going through the fine print for their get-out clause.

Abysmal excuse for a human being.

They all are. And as for Thicki Patel. No wonder they buried her out of harm's way for a month.