• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaddyrovers

• Gav

• den

• RoverDom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

False dichotomy alert. I don't quite see how the two are related. I mean it's not an either or is it? Given the furlough and mortgage schemes (both excellent btw) are already in place before Cumm

Have spent a couple of days thinking what to write on here as I am utterly bewildered as to what this so called government is up to regarding schools. Firstly, before Christmas my school had seve

as you know i dont post on here anymore but i will this once just to wish everyone the best and hope everyone stays safe and comes thru at the other side  of this sad mess.  i would also like to

Posted Images

Wearing a face mask if you haven’t got the virus is completely and utterly useless. In fact it’s worse than not wearing one, as it will quickly start to harbour germs if you wear it for a while. A mask is useful if you have the virus and want to stop others getting it but that’s all.

13 hours ago, philipl said:

Just saw newsnight on this. Very worrying from an American point of view.  Dr Trump will keep the virus away.......nothing to see here. ?

Over in Thailand at the moment. I think Thai staff at both Bangkok and Phuket airports have been told to wear masks. Plenty of folk in ‘downtown’ Bangkok wear masks anyway to combat traffic pollution but other than that, hardly anyone seems to be wearing one. 

The masks are really only any good on people already infected to stop it spreading. On anyone not yet infected, it just breeds more germs around your mouth and nose.

Proven preventative ideas:

Wash hands with proper soap (bars imo), dry hands with a tissue (then use said tissue to turn tap off/open door etc) and bin it. Cough or sneeze into crook of elbow (dab, as the kids say).

1 hour ago, den said:

coronavirus in Preston now.  

Where and who?  I presume it's the S type virus and not the L type?

Everyone getting their knickers in a twist. Seasonal flu causes far more damage.

Calm down everyone , all will be OK.

1 hour ago, bazza said:

Everyone getting their knickers in a twist. Seasonal flu causes far more damage.

https://www.lep.co.uk/health/dont-panic-message-lancashires-health-chiefs-after-first-coronavirus-cases-are-confirmed-south-ribble-2072315

not sure you’re right about seasonal Flu Bazza. Keep in mind also this isn’t Flu.

”rumour” is they live in Penwortham.

Edited by den
2 hours ago, bazza said:

Seasonal flu (by virtue of being seasonal) can be prepared for. New, quick-spreadimg diseases are very difficult to prepare for.

3.4% mortality thus far is high considering our technological and medical advantage over the 1919 Spanish Flu pandemic.

4 hours ago, den said:

coronavirus in Preston now.  

I'm glad that you posted a link after this post. Vinjay got a haranguing over his claims about coronavirus in Blackburn.

Although the risk is low this one is to be taken seriously. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/04/move-to-weekly-uk-coronavirus-updates-criticised-by-experts?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail

There is a map of UK incidences in that link. There is a concentration close to Blackburn but nothing in the town.

Johnson lies about meeting coronovirus patients then starves you of information.

Couldn't screw up more thoroughly...

Here are some facts:

The death rate is scary enough at between 100 and 300 times worse than flu but 20% who catch this virus fall seriously ill with some form of severe respiratory impairment leading to more permanent lung damage. X-rays show TB like shadows around the periphery of the lung then shards like broken glass and people die of yellowed honeycomb lungs.

On the other end of the spectrum 50% have symptoms so mild that they might not spot they have it of whom about 1% are genetically so configured they become superspreaders.

If you are a smoker or asthmatic this is seriously bad news because it is hitting people with pre-existing impairments pretty badly. 

It is also hitting the elderly disproportionately. Three times more likely to be fatal in over 60s, ten times over 70 and twenty times if you are over 80.

Then it is a question of when you catch it relative to the general population. The availability of hospital beds ventilators plus ICU will not cope irrespective of private health insurance.

In the US, the rate of fatalities are three times higher than in China. That probably either means China under reported or there is a particularly unpleasant mutation over there or American cases are being seriously under reported or undetected.

Not good...

Can always rely on Trump:

Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) tweeted at 4:39 am on Thu, Mar 05, 2020:
Trump to Hannity on WHO saying coronavirus death rate is 3.4%: "I think the 3.4% number is really a false number. Now this is just my hunch, but based on a lot of conversations ... personally, I'd say the number is way under 1%."

Astoundingly irresponsible. https://t.co/uC9c03zX31
(https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1235409660104015873?s=03)

Get the official Twitter app at https://twitter.com/download?s=13 

10 hours ago, den said:

”rumour” is they live in Penwortham.

For the avoidance of doubt it’s not me! We’re currently in New Zealand, hoping to be home in a couple of weeks but with some challenges re planes to overcome.

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Here is a well argued case that the actual death rate is closer to 5% because of lag effect between infection, falling ill and death.

https://towardsdatascience.com/why-the-coronavirus-mortality-rate-is-misleading-cc63f571b6a6

It also points out that currently the infection rate is 2.6 people per diagnosis.

Never mind Phil, we can self quarantine on £95 a week. I saw on the TV the other day that the UK has the lowest statutory sick pay in Europe bar one.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Never mind Phil, we can self quarantine on £95 a week. I saw on the TV the other day that the UK has the lowest statutory sick pay in Europe bar one.

Just spoken with someone who was in the emergency meeting with the PM and Cabinet members here yesterday.

Apparently the virus doesn't survive well outside the body in windy conditions (oxygen is toxic to the virus) and ambient temperatures above 26 degrees. This doesn't help you if someone coughs or sneezes into your face but does help kill it when it is present on surfaces which your hands can touch.

Chlorine disinfectant and not touching your face are the best ways of avoiding it. Apparently women are at a distinct advantage in not catching it as they have trained themselves to avoid face touching because of fear of smudging their make-up.

The long term weather forecast for Malta is for early hot weather this year so there is hope Malta and Cyprus can remain virus free...

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

For the avoidance of doubt it’s not me! We’re currently in New Zealand, hoping to be home in a couple of weeks but with some challenges re planes to overcome.

Good luck with the flights O2G. 

If I read anything more official that it’s in Penwortham, I’ll post it on here.