I'm hoping the plumber fixing my bathroom is coming back tomorrow to finish the job as I currently have no water in my bathroom. We avoided any contact with him by going out in the garden while he worked in the house today and I went round wiping door handles and doors hd might have touched. Cant live for the next however many months with no chance of a shower . Hes only got one more days work to finish it so here's hoping.i feel bad having him in to work but plumbing is a bit important if you're meant to wash things often

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaddyrovers

• Gav

• den

• philipl

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

False dichotomy alert. I don't quite see how the two are related. I mean it's not an either or is it? Given the furlough and mortgage schemes (both excellent btw) are already in place before Cumm

Have spent a couple of days thinking what to write on here as I am utterly bewildered as to what this so called government is up to regarding schools. Firstly, before Christmas my school had seve

All I can say is it's a nice bonus as a key worker that my son arrived today instead of his due date of 22nd December. Work have very generously offered me extended Pat Leave for 3 weeks full pay as o

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, den said:

Not that much has actually changed. Tomorrow people will go to work, do a bit of shopping, go for a walk just as today. The tone has definitely changed and more shops have to close. Anything else different?

I guess the ambiguity has been cleared up, and any even small gathering of people can not be targeted and dispersed.

Should stop the scenes from last weekend being repeated.

I've not really got any science behind it but I would say 60-70% of people will follow the law whatever it is. So people in that category who were maybe out and about will now stay home.

From a data perspective things are working to some extent. Train passengers for exams are down 80%.

6 hours ago, Amo said:

I raise you this https://www.businessinsider.com/video-tour-coronavirus-icu-ward-bergamo-italy-worst-apocalyptic-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

Sure the gentleman means well, but he doesn't have a scooby doo what's going on. His maths (30 a day) are laa laa land. Italy is seeing 600+ a day and the ICUs are totally overwhelmed. That's a statement of fact that no niche videos unearthed from the corners of the internet can refute.

For yourself Amo I would step back and consider if it is reasonable to think that the WHO, the leadership of every national government, the world's media from Fox to the Guardian , healthcare foundations and the frontline medical staff of every major health service are all co-ordinated in an enormous labrythian conspiracy. Or is it more likely that this is actually a huge health emergency?

5 hours ago, 47er said:

That really does come across as "unfortunate" to be polite. At some point Doctors may have to make a choice of who lives and who dies.

They will probably look at the oldest first. Let's hope its not your Grandparent or parent eh RB?

Such is the hard mentality regarding this issue I fully expected any note of dissent to be met with some sort of nasty insuation about my family.

My parents actually died many years ago. My father actually fought in the second World War when he was very young and would have been 100 this year. I suspect he would have been appalled about how easily people have given up the freedoms he and his generation fought so hard to secure indeed not only that, people have been actually clamouring for it and condemning others for attempting to carry on with their every day lives.

I do have a 93 year old Aunt for whom I took shopping round this morning. Until a week ago she was extremely active and considers the orders given to the elderly slightly cruel. Let's face it, the development of a vaccine will take some considerable time and she doesn't know whether she will now make it through this crisis and I suspect she would rather carry on as normal and take her chances. Like all of the older generation though she will take it stoically and carry on either way, unlike the younger generations who seem crippled by fear they might contract a virus which in the vast majority of cases is unpleasant but not overly serious and which is in effect a more contagious variant of flu but flu nonetheless.

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I suspect he would have been appalled about how easily people have given up the freedoms he and his generation fought so hard to secure indeed not only that, people have been actually clamouring for it and condemning others for attempting to carry on with their every day lives.

The giving up of those freedoms is only temporary, not permanent and is a necessity to save lives, both old and young. To put it rather simply, if you carry on with your every day life, you run the risk of killing both yourself and others.

Dr Katie Sanderson on radio 4 this morning is asking everyone to stop and think this morning, read the guidance, follow the advice and don’t allow any further infections to happen from this moment on. Katie works on the NHS front line, knows staff in their 30’s in intensive care and has had to speak to families who’s relatives will die from the virus, she doesn’t want to see any further cases due to people not taking this seriously. 

As for Mike Ashley refusing to close Sports Direct, I’d arrest him, simple as that, lock him up, idiot.

Edited by Gav
4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Such is the hard mentality regarding this issue I fully expected any note of dissent to be met with some sort of nasty insuation about my family

There is no nasty insinuation about your family, that is totally unfair. In view of what you've said better wording might have been "those closest to you". It is very sad to lose your parents early, I was lucky that they lived to 87 and 96. I think about them everyday.

However its a general point that I'm making, applicable to anyone, not personal to you.

Its easy to theorise but when it comes to decision time, it is a horrible dilemma to be in. Every life is valuable and to write off old people as a group is to devalue the contribution to society they still make. I'm not saying you are doing that but there are people who feel that way.

When there are not enough ventilators to go round, someone will make that decision, I just thought you sounded heartless which I am sure you are not.

Pictures this morning of people crammed together again on the London Underground. They’re probably mostly gig economy workers who have no choice but to work but it does show the advice to social distance or stay at home totally unenforceable 

7 minutes ago, dave birch said:

Any comment on how you could quote a comment from Chaddy that had been deleted/hidden?

Gosh, its obviously a conspiracy against the Right! 

I'm in with the Mods?

God votes Labour?

I'm a serial hacker?

Or, more likely---- its a glitch! Its happened before, a matter of timing I'd say!

Edited by 47er

Good try by Mike Ashley today. Horrible little man who exploits working people but he does have a point. If cycle shops can stay open why not firms that supply the clothing that people wear to stay fit? 

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Sorry, I can't see what I've said that is so terrible. People die all the time, that's an unfortunate but inevitable fact of life, but people seem unable to accept the fact that you can't save absolutely everyone all the time. If the elderly and vulnerable are completely shielded and isolated there's nothing more that can be done.

In my opinion future history will tell us that the over the top measures adopted by the World's Governments were infinitely more damaging to the quality of life and personal freedoms of ourselves and future generations than anything the virus could have done.

It's not just old and sick people who are dying from this. Even if it was ,your tone is far too Dominic Cummins esque for my liking. 

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I raise you this https://www.businessinsider.com/video-tour-coronavirus-icu-ward-bergamo-italy-worst-apocalyptic-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

Sure the gentleman means well, but he doesn't have a scooby doo what's going on. His maths (30 a day) are laa laa land. Italy is seeing 600+ a day and the ICUs are totally overwhelmed. That's a statement of fact that no niche videos unearthed from the corners of the internet can refute.

For yourself Amo I would step back and consider if it is reasonable to think that the WHO, the leadership of every national government, the world's media from Fox to the Guardian , healthcare foundations and the frontline medical staff of every major health service are all co-ordinated in an enormous labrythian conspiracy. Or is it more likely that this is actually a huge health emergency?

Quarantining everyone and closing down all businesses will collapse the economy and bring the country to its knees. Not the virus.

Better to risk more people getting sick and keep the country going than struggle in vain to stop it spreading. 

Doesn't matter to the elites, they will be okay whatever happens. As usual, it's Joe Public who will suffer. 

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Such is the hard mentality regarding this issue I fully expected any note of dissent to be met with some sort of nasty insuation about my family.

My parents actually died many years ago. My father actually fought in the second World War when he was very young and would have been 100 this year. I suspect he would have been appalled about how easily people have given up the freedoms he and his generation fought so hard to secure indeed not only that, people have been actually clamouring for it and condemning others for attempting to carry on with their every day lives.

I do have a 93 year old Aunt for whom I took shopping round this morning. Until a week ago she was extremely active and considers the orders given to the elderly slightly cruel. Let's face it, the development of a vaccine will take some considerable time and she doesn't know whether she will now make it through this crisis and I suspect she would rather carry on as normal and take her chances. Like all of the older generation though she will take it stoically and carry on either way, unlike the younger generations who seem crippled by fear they might contract a virus which in the vast majority of cases is unpleasant but not overly serious and which is in effect a more contagious variant of flu but flu nonetheless.

Have you read about the effects of this? It's not anything like the flu. It's a virus that attacks the resperitory system by making copies of itself, leading to pneumonia and the inability to breath. 

Where are you getting it's like the flu from? 

9 minutes ago, gumboots said:

As a matter of interest, has anyone had a government text telling them not to go out?

Wife had one but not me. Oddly, it’s me that has the medical condition, not her.

Edited by den
6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Where do you get the idea this is Flu Rev? These deaths are on top of Flu deaths but you reckon we shouldn’t do anything about it? We shouldn’t  try to prevent people from dieing until a vaccine can be produced? 

Strange one.

After weeks of calling it the "China virus", the airhead president is shocked to find the US rednecks have been taking him at his word and abusing Asian Americans

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52013361

Let'a look on the bright side. By November we might be over the worst of this crisis and this twerp will be out of the White House. 

Just now, gumboots said:

I'm only curious because I got one and wondered if it was a random hit or targeted. I have no health probs that I know of, certainly none of the ones they listed

I got one from Uk.Gov - telling me not to go out and follow the guidelines set out by PM and NHS.

This isn’t one of the 1.5m text to the vulnerable, I have no health problems. It’s simply a government/NHS text.

10 hours ago, gumboots said:

I'm hoping the plumber fixing my bathroom is coming back tomorrow to finish the job as I currently have no water in my bathroom. We avoided any contact with him by going out in the garden while he worked in the house today and I went round wiping door handles and doors hd might have touched. Cant live for the next however many months with no chance of a shower . Hes only got one more days work to finish it so here's hoping.i feel bad having him in to work but plumbing is a bit important if you're meant to wash things often

Michael Gove covered that exact question on the Today programme this morning. He was asked whether a plumber could go to someone's house for emergency work and said yes, as long as you observe social distancing. Having no water in a part of your house would be an emergency for me. So if he argues tell him that Gove said it's OK!