51 minutes ago, Gamst said:

I'm a GP and the common theme with patients over Xmas is that they think they picked COVID up from a school.

My partner works at a GP (not as a GP though) and her feedback is the same. My friend spent most of summer in and out of pubs, doing as he pleased, ended up catching covid when his wife brought it home from school in November. 

The data even showed this, as soon as schools and uni went back in september the number of cases spiked yet we pissed about with putting curfews on pubs. How it's taken us this long to realise schools are a major source of the spread is beyond me. 30 kids and adults in a small room where it's impossible to social distance, of course it's going to be rampant. 

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaddyrovers

• Gav

• den

• RoverDom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

False dichotomy alert. I don't quite see how the two are related. I mean it's not an either or is it? Given the furlough and mortgage schemes (both excellent btw) are already in place before Cumm

Have spent a couple of days thinking what to write on here as I am utterly bewildered as to what this so called government is up to regarding schools. Firstly, before Christmas my school had seve

All I can say is it's a nice bonus as a key worker that my son arrived today instead of his due date of 22nd December. Work have very generously offered me extended Pat Leave for 3 weeks full pay as o

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Tradesmen not needed for relative inconveniences. Our boiler packed in last March, flooded the kitchen. Neither me nor wife are handy but we cleaned it up, coped with water from the kettle for a little while, got a new boiler fitted in June.

That'll be grand in winter.... 

1 minute ago, RoverDom said:

That'll be grand in winter.... 

I know horrible, but you find ways to cope if you're desperate. With that being said, I expect these extreme examples wouldn't come to pass and you'd be able to get a new boiler.

Just now, Mike E said:

I know horrible, but you find ways to cope if you're desperate. With that being said, I expect these extreme examples wouldn't come to pass and you'd be able to get a new boiler.

I would yeah but I think my nana would die off if her boiler packed in and she's who the lockdown is meant to be protecting. 

Agree though, it would never get to that extreme in this country. 

I think the safety worries about these vaccines are pretty baseless. The only thing I know about vaccines are that some are live, some aren’t. If they aren’t live such as the Flu vaccine, they can’t grow in the body. I said that recently on this site. You can’t get Flu from a Flu vaccine because it can’t grow in the body.

I also personally have a great deal of trust in the scientists who develop these. 

Here’s what I found on the Oxford site....

The ChAdOx1 vaccine is a chimpanzee adenovirus vaccine vector. This is a harmless, weakened adenovirus that usually causes the common cold in chimpanzees. ChAdOx1 was chosen as the most suitable vaccine technology for a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine as it has been shown to generate a strong immune response from one dose in other vaccines. It has been genetically changed so that it is impossible for it to grow in humans. This also makes it safer to give to children, the elderly and anyone with a pre-existing condition such as diabetes. Chimpanzee adenoviral vectors are a very well-studied vaccine type, having been used safely in thousands of subjects.

https://www.research.ox.ac.uk/Article/2020-07-19-the-oxford-covid-19-vaccine

My position on this is that people are in far more danger of losing their lives or of suffering long lasting serious fire effects by not taking the vaccine, than they are by taking it.

Do the right thing guys. Protect yourself and protect others. Take the vaccine.

Looks like cumbria in the same boat as what @lsp82 mentioned "The County Council cannot instruct schools not to reopen. That is a decision for the governors of each school on the advice of their head teacher ...... I therefore give an assurance that any school in Cumbria that decides that at the present time they are only able to extend direct provision to vulnerable children and the children of key workers, and that they cannot open the school fully in line with government instruction, will have the full support and backing of Cumbria County Council."

The director of public health I believe is thinking along the same lines. 

With schools, local authorities unions, public health teams effectively revolting is this the governments way of trying to wash their hands of it "its not us who closed the schools and caused you child care problems". Personally think it's quite damning of the government if they lose control over a sector. 

1 hour ago, philipl said:
Please #StayHomeStaySafe. The graph shows the age distribution of patients with Covid in our beds yesterday. Admitted patients = extremely sick patients. No-one is partying at tonight. Please comply with all Covid restrictions.

I think I read that the median age this time around for Covid patients admitted to hospital was 61

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Wuhan looked pretty free to me, thousands gathered in the city to watch fireworks while you and I were forced to watch them at home.

The pharmacy question is a ignorant of the times. Pharmacies operate extremely good delivery services, and any immediate drugs not prescribed can be ordered almost immediately through your GP if urgent enough. All other general medicine can be found at any supermarket.

Tradesmen not needed for relative inconveniences. Our boiler packed in last March, flooded the kitchen. Neither me nor wife are handy but we cleaned it up, coped with water from the kettle for a little while, got a new boiler fitted in June.

You find ways to cope.

Your questions seem to be about convenience rather than actual necessity.

Re the boiler Mike, Mrs Shoelaces would have killed me if our boiler had have been out of action for more than a week. Having said that the weather last spring was particularly mild so the central heating possibly wasn't needed.

Wuhan looked pretty free to me, thousands gathered in the city to watch fireworks while you and I were forced to watch them at home.

Wouldnt know what happened in Wuhan. 

Always watch the New Year fireworks on tv keeping nice and warm indoors. Why get cold? 

The pharmacy question is a ignorant of the times. Pharmacies operate extremely good delivery services, and any immediate drugs not prescribed can be ordered almost immediately through your GP if urgent enough. All other general medicine can be found at any supermarket.

But not ideal if you work nights as you would normally sleeping at delivery time. 

You dont need to tell how to order through GP as I been using this method for ages. I'm an expert. 

That's good in the current temperature when we freezing temperatures. Families need to keep warm. Have hot baths. How would elderly cope in sitting in the cold. 

If I had the same problem that you had I would ring up a plumber to fix the problem within hours/ a day. No point putting off getting it sorted. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Wouldnt know what happened in Wuhan. 

Always watch the New Year fireworks on tv keeping nice and warm indoors. Why get cold? 

But not ideal if you work nights as you would normally sleeping at delivery time. 

You dont need to tell how to order through GP as I been using this method for ages. I'm an expert. 

That's good in the current temperature when we freezing temperatures. Families need to keep warm. Have hot baths. How would elderly cope in sitting in the cold. 

If I had the same problem that you had I would ring up a plumber to fix the problem within hours/ a day. No point putting off getting it sorted. 

I can't remember the last time I had a hot bath. Not eco friendly

Also saw this post from the owner of a bar and restaurant on facebook. Apologies for the long copy and paste but thought it made some good points. 

"As I walk into the supermarket with 30 other people at the same time, I think about my bar and restaurant which used to  allow parties of 6 in total from 1 household and meticulously spaced out reservations ensuring guests that aren’t from the same party do not arrive at the same time. 

As I take a trolley, that has had just the handle sanitised, I think about my bar and restaurant which invested hundreds of pounds on ink and paper to print disposable menus to ensure no two guests touch the same menu. 

As I walk over to the produce aisle with 15-20 other people around me, I’m reminded of the strict “no mingling / no walking around the bar and restaurant other than to use the washroom or enter/exit policy we have in place and the distancing between tables which cut our capacity. 

As I watch the woman next to me pick up apples with her hand, check them over closely and then put them back on the open pile and repeats this until she finds the perfect apples — the same thing that all other people that day who want an apple will then do and then put those apples into their mouths, I think about the two step sanitation process in place at my bar and restaurant for all cutlery and dishes and glassware in between every single guest, and the sanitation of every surface guests touch (tables, chairs, salt and pepper shakers, etc).

As I watch the man in the next aisle over ignore or not notice the directional arrows on the ground, I think about my bar and restaurant and the constant redirecting our staff did of guests - by locking certain doors, blocking areas off and the work my team does to simply not allow guests to walk where they are not supposed to. 

As I walk down the cereal aisle, I see a person with their mask off so they can talk on the phone, and I’m reminded of my bar and restaurant where our masking policy has lost us so much business as we did not allow guests who did not cover their nose mouth and chin while not sitting at their designated seat as per the by-law in place for our region. 

As I check out at the till, I use my debit card to pay and see the plastic film covering the terminal. It was not sanitised after the person before me used it. I am reminded of the sanitiser used on the debit terminals in between each guest every time at my bar and restaurant.

As I stand at a crowded exit trying to leave, I’m reminded of the detailed contact tracing in place at my bar and restaurant that records the name, phone number, table number, arrival and exit time, as well as the server and section the guest sat in that is in place at my bar and restaurant - not one of those pieces of information was taken from any customer here.

Bars and Restaurants are being targeted as the “source” of Covid infections because we are one of the ONLY industries required to provide contact tracing. Someone with Covid could have gone to ASDA, TESCO, B&Q, RETAIL SHOPS & any other shop/ supermarket etc yet it’s the bars and restaurants that took their detailed information that will be forced to close and deemed responsible for the infection. 

You want to blame restaurants for the spread after thousands of pounds investing in equipment, training and stricter policies than ANYWHERE ELSE?!"

We are CLOSED 
Hospitality is on its knees 🥲

#savehospitality

On 03/01/2021 at 05:33, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

They are having to make u-turns most likely on the latest advise of medical professionals.This is potentially going to be a shit storm much worse than they dared fear.The pressure they must be under to get this right must be off the scale.

The constant criticism by some on here is total bollocks and unhelpful.

You're doing your best to put lipstick on a pig, I'll give you that.

7 hours ago, den said:

Starmer calling for national lockdown within 24 hrs.

So there you are Gav, you now know where the hell the opposition is.

Edited by 47er
1 hour ago, gumboots said:

I can't remember the last time I had a hot bath. Not eco friendly

Well well. 

After working in cold working environment nothing like a nice warm bath to warm my body up. 

50 minutes ago, 47er said:

So there you are Gav, you now know where the hell the opposition is.

Starmer adopting a policy that would put many of his potential voters out of work.  Just after Christmas too when these very people will be finding it tough financially. 

He's playing games and I'm not defending this bunch of incompetent fools in charge either.

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

Starmer adopting a policy that would put many of his potential voters out of work.  Just after Christmas too when these very people will be finding it tough financially. 

He's playing games and I'm not defending this bunch of incompetent fools in charge either.

Perhaps he's trying to save lives? After all, you can't work if you're dead.