16 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Look what is in the freezer and buy survival rations? Someone put a stop to this blokes strange ramblings. It’s just bullshit.

It's ok I've still got plenty of survival rations left after preparing for last weeks end of the world brexit scenario. I wonder how the world will end next week? 

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaddyrovers

• Gav

• den

• RoverDom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

False dichotomy alert. I don't quite see how the two are related. I mean it's not an either or is it? Given the furlough and mortgage schemes (both excellent btw) are already in place before Cumm

Have spent a couple of days thinking what to write on here as I am utterly bewildered as to what this so called government is up to regarding schools. Firstly, before Christmas my school had seve

All I can say is it's a nice bonus as a key worker that my son arrived today instead of his due date of 22nd December. Work have very generously offered me extended Pat Leave for 3 weeks full pay as o

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Woking from home again today

Welcome to my world ive been in the office once since last March, its fantastic. The one major positive to come out of this pandemic is that I will hopefully never return to an office on a regular basis. 

Just now, RoverDom said:

Welcome to my world ive been in the office once since last March, its fantastic. The one major positive to come out of this pandemic is that I will hopefully never return to an office on a regular basis. 

Whilst I enjoy the commute-less mornings and evenings, I just can’t teach KS2/KS3/KS4 music from home properly, 80% of the kids I teach have no access to instruments at home.

I haven’t taught privately since March either because I used to go to peoples homes. 

Getting to point where I’m going to have to get a job at Asda!

We've already been told that we'll be expected to work at minimum 40% of the time from home, when office working is again viable in the future. Realistically a lot of people in our company likely won't ever return to working full time at the office. 

1 minute ago, JBiz said:

Whilst I enjoy the commute-less mornings and evenings, I just can’t teach KS2/KS3/KS4 music from home properly, 80% of the kids I teach have no access to instruments at home.

I haven’t taught privately since March either because I used to go to peoples homes. 

Getting to point where I’m going to have to get a job at Asda!

Ah I hadnt realised you were a teacher! Hope things pick up for you soon. 

1 minute ago, RoverDom said:

Ah I hadnt realised you were a teacher! Hope things pick up for you soon. 

I’m relatively lucky in some respects but I feel bad for the 1.6m people who started self employment in 2019 because they STILL aren’t eligible for the SEISS grant.

I’ve been saying for a few days that there were questions to be answered about vaccinations. I think a few folk thought it was just more moaning about this government, but it wasn’t.

Have we got the staff to disperse these vaccinations and can the vaccinations be supplied in enough numbers to get this programme flying are reasonable questions. Nor are they political questions - not yet anyway.

Its just a fact that the rate of vaccinating so far is nowhere close to what we were lead to believe would be the case. Johnson addressed what he hoped would happen last night but there was a lot of caveats with it.

One question I put days ago is, if India have 50m doses of the Oxford vaccine in stock, why haven’t we?

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

0 out of 10 for lack of attention in class.

Posted this 3 days ago on why our vaccine manufacturing capability is inadequate

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/indian-drugmaker-races-ahead-of-uk-in-providing-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-lgmd3pvqp

3 minutes ago, den said:

I’ve been saying for a few days that there were questions to be answered about vaccinations. I think a few folk thought it was just more moaning about this government, but it wasn’t.

Have we got the staff to disperse these vaccinations and can the vaccinations be supplied in enough numbers to get this programme flying are reasonable questions. Nor are they political questions - not yet anyway.

Its just a fact that the rate of vaccinating so far is nowhere close to what we were lead to believe would be the case. Johnson addressed what he hoped would happen last night but there was a lot of caveats with it.

One question I put days ago is, if India have 50m doses of the Oxford vaccine in stock, why haven’t we?

Jim posted above. 

Years of neglect from successive governments with no appetite for on-shore life sciences manufacturing. 

India produces them. Stands to reason they have 50m. 

With any luck a combination of Brexit and Covid-19 starts to change how we view a “global” world. It certainly shouldnt include cheap offshore production in poor countries.

38 minutes ago, Mike E said:

This might be unreasonable (possiblythick, even), but in 1947, New York vaccinated 5m people against Polio in one week.

Have we not got better at vaccine logistics as a society in almost 75 years?

Mike - there are two key reasons why we can't vaccinate at that rate for this virus. One, we need to keep social distancing and two, everyone has to stay behind for 15 minutes afterwards in case of an adverse reaction. In New York everyone is close together and then they could just line up with their sleeve rolled up for a production line.

On top of that I suspect it's inevitable that there will be glitches in the supply of vaccines. But I'm still confident that the rate of vaccinations will go pretty rapidly in the next week or two.

Blackburn Hospital is really struggling at the minute there were 290 patients in hospital with Covid yesterday and 80 in A&E where currently 40% off all who attend A&E end up being covid positive.

The way the school closures have been treated is a disgrace as early as yesterday dinner I was telling my 6 year old that he was going back to school and could see his friends as schools were safe then we have to tell him that he cant go back cant see his friends as there has been a change of mind in the last couple of hours.  He understands the dangers of the virus with his mum being a nurse but we don't want to send him to school as he can only go the days she will be working he will have no routine wont know if he is coming or going and wouldn't see any of his friends.

1 hour ago, den said:

Well the government has publically committed to delivering 14M vaccines in seven weeks... so they must be pretty sure they can get at least near that number. 

My guess is delivering the vaccine is a lot less complicated than a lot of the things they have ballsed up (supplying PPE, providing testing capacity etc) plus we have been preparing for this moment for a lot longer. So I think the risk around hitting the number must be pretty low. They will be desperate to claim this as a win.

If they are being too optmistic again they are mad. But then again I guess they are mad as they have shown time and time again by creating targets they can't hit.

But gut feel is they will manage it.

I'm also fairly positive that the vaccination programme will be delivered at or near the plans. To date the other balls-ups have been where the tories have given contracts to their mates and to consultancy companies rather than to the people who actually know how to do it - see PPE production and track and trace systems. People who knew how to make PPE were ignored. Local authorities who have been running track and trace systems for years were sidelined.

This time most of the work has been given to GPs, who have a track record of delivering mass vaccinations. This is bigger and more complicated but the people who know what to do are being given the resources to do it. The one area where it could break down will be vaccine supplies

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

Mike - there are two key reasons why we can't vaccinate at that rate for this virus. One, we need to keep social distancing and two, everyone has to stay behind for 15 minutes afterwards in case of an adverse reaction. In New York everyone is close together and then they could just line up with their sleeve rolled up for a production line.

On top of that I suspect it's inevitable that there will be glitches in the supply of vaccines. But I'm still confident that the rate of vaccinations will go pretty rapidly in the next week or two.

Further to this I have just caught up with last weeks edition of How to Vaccinate the World on Radio 4. Tyrone and I have both encouraged people to listen to this excellent series a few times. Last week Tim Harford interviewed Bill Gates and it's an excellent background piece explaining the challenges of developing vaccines and the failings of governments around the world to prepare for an inevitable pandemic.

2 hours ago, RoverDom said:

It's ok I've still got plenty of survival rations left after preparing for last weeks end of the world brexit scenario. I wonder how the world will end next week? 

Can I suggest that you, and everybody else for that matter, read the first 4 or 5 pages of this thread? Posts made in January/February last year.

Its absolutely mind-boggling to see how naive we were. How its a mystifying disease in a far-off province in China, how we don't expect it to worry us much and how gradually it comes closer.

"a case has been reported in Preston"( or words to that effect) is one big piece of news!

Then it starts to affect us personally---football going to be cancelled, Cheltenham racing goes ahead, local surgeries only taking emergencies, no loo paper in the supermarket and so on.

It really is quite fascinating.

30 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Further to this I have just caught up with last weeks edition of How to Vaccinate the World on Radio 4. Tyrone and I have both encouraged people to listen to this excellent series a few times. Last week Tim Harford interviewed Bill Gates and it's an excellent background piece explaining the challenges of developing vaccines and the failings of governments around the world to prepare for an inevitable pandemic.

The whole series is worth a listen, very interesting. Larry Brilliant's Ted talk from 2007 is somewhat prophetic as well:

Sadly due to Covid seemingly originating in a very guarded country, early detection by the necessary agencies was probably impossible. 

3 hours ago, JBiz said:

I’m relatively lucky in some respects but I feel bad for the 1.6m people who started self employment in 2019 because they STILL aren’t eligible for the SEISS grant.

One in every 27 people of the population aged between 18 and 70 in the UK started self employment in 2019 ? 

I doubt that can be true.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/articles/coronavirusandselfemploymentintheuk/2020-04-24

Edited by Hasta
1 hour ago, 47er said:

Can I suggest that you, and everybody else for that matter, read the first 4 or 5 pages of this thread? Posts made in January/February last year.

Its absolutely mind-boggling to see how naive we were. How its a mystifying disease in a far-off province in China, how we don't expect it to worry us much and how gradually it comes closer.

"a case has been reported in Preston"( or words to that effect) is one big piece of news!

Then it starts to affect us personally---football going to be cancelled, Cheltenham racing goes ahead, local surgeries only taking emergencies, no loo paper in the supermarket and so on.

It really is quite fascinating.

That's absolutely fair but I think you possibly missed the now hidden posts that give this a bit of context. It's not be being flippant about the pandemic, I'm laid back but I understand this new situation is a cause for concern for many and we should all be doing what we can to reduce the impact within reason. 

What we were reacting to was completely unsubstantiated scaremongering for which no evidence was provided and nor could I find any evidence doing my own research of the specific claims made. I wont repeat the points made as I assume k-hod hid them for a reason but as per usual it was one step away from predicting the end of the world, this isn't out of character though as that's how this poster presents every news story originating from outside his country of residence. 

39 minutes ago, Hasta said:

One in every 27 people of the population aged between 18 and 70 in the UK started self employment in 2019 ? 

I doubt that can be true.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/articles/coronavirusandselfemploymentintheuk/2020-04-24

I may have misread the figures according to that - but they still estimate 5m people are in self employment (March 19) and 1.6m are not eligible for SEISS. So a percentage are new business, some have taxable profits over 50k - and some not eligible for other reasons.

I am one of them.

Edited by JBiz
3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Well the government has publically committed to delivering 14M vaccines in seven weeks... so they must be pretty sure they can get at least near that number. 

My guess is delivering the vaccine is a lot less complicated than a lot of the things they have ballsed up (supplying PPE, providing testing capacity etc) plus we have been preparing for this moment for a lot longer. So I think the risk around hitting the number must be pretty low. They will be desperate to claim this as a win.

If they are being too optmistic again they are mad. But then again I guess they are mad as they have shown time and time again by creating targets they can't hit.

But gut feel is they will manage it.

Hope you’re right JBN. but I’m not yet convinced.

This is a game changer for sure. Let’s pray also that this vaccine is effective for the SA version.

Edited by den
24 minutes ago, den said:

1 million people in Britain are infected with covid.

Stick that in yer pipe and smoke it 🙂

CNN and Sky calling 1 in 50 people infected. (1.1 million apparently)

Dunno which sounds worse.

Suppose there's about 50 people in a  Nando's/pub. So if everywhere was open if you imagine there would be at least 1 infected person in every venue it sounds pretty scary. 

WFHomers are fine but I feel sorry for those who have no option but to go into the workplace. This new strain is spreading like wildfire and there are many workplaces including schools that are not safe

Next crisis: absenteeism rife in the workplace as frightened workers stay away.