• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaddyrovers

• Gav

• den

• philipl

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

False dichotomy alert. I don't quite see how the two are related. I mean it's not an either or is it? Given the furlough and mortgage schemes (both excellent btw) are already in place before Cumm

Have spent a couple of days thinking what to write on here as I am utterly bewildered as to what this so called government is up to regarding schools. Firstly, before Christmas my school had seve

All I can say is it's a nice bonus as a key worker that my son arrived today instead of his due date of 22nd December. Work have very generously offered me extended Pat Leave for 3 weeks full pay as o

Posted Images

Just now, gumboots said:

My 4 year old grandson went to school today having spent the whole Christmas holiday isolating, first because he was hoping to see us and his other grandparents at Christmas. Then he developed Covid which meant he couldn't see us or go anywhere till today when his quarantine ended and he could go to school. So he goes today, gets all excited about it because hes 4 and school is cool with his mates. Then hes not going again until February. Tell me again. How do you explain that to a 4 year old. Just because your stepdaughter's school had an inset day doesnt mean everyone did. Primary schools were told to get back to school. It's the right decision but totally and absolutely mismanaged as is normal with the lying incompetents in government. Stop trying to defend the indefensible. This lot have yet again made a stupid, avoidable mess of a simple and straightforward situation.

By telling the 4 year old the truth and how coronavirus works and why its important schools to close to protect NHS and people with illness and Vulnerable staff

Schools could have staff training day today. 

No one is defending anyone. I posted yesterday that Secondary Schools should be closed for January apart from Year 11 and 13 students plus children of key workers and Vulnerable. did you miss that post yesterday. 

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

what are going on about now Mike? 

Honestly, chaddy, you just don't get how you come across sometimes. That's all I'll say lest I ban myself for a few hours.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

By telling the 4 year old the truth and how coronavirus works and why its important schools to close to protect NHS and people with illness and Vulnerable staff

No one is defending anyone. I posted yesterday that Secondary Schools should be closed for January apart from Year 11 and 13 students plus children of key workers and Vulnerable. did you miss that post yesterday. 

So sanctimonious....you were the one spreading it early on and now your preaching.  

People like you know everything about everything 

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

So sanctimonious....you were the one spreading it early on and now your preaching.  

People like you know everything about everything 

I spreading nothing Sparks. 

wrong again!!!

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Oh yes because 4 year olds really have the capacity to understand all of this in a rational and intellectual way. I mean, let's be honest everyone knows thats not how 4 year olds think - parents, education professionals, psychologists. To offer such advice is living in a fantasy land. A 4 year old gets upset over a lost pencil but will understand the long term need for a lockdown. The only reason to pretend this is the case is to not criticise the Tories. It's pure and utter fabrication. 

Then there's the comment as lots have been on inset days. What about all those who weren't? Does that take away from a change of plan within 24 hours? Is it professional to change it within 24 hours of a new term? How does this match with the perfectly safe comments? What about all the prep teachers have done? 

I think am still on ignore but would appreciate a requote so he is challenged on his absolutely illogical comments. 

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

haven't alot of schools had a staff training day today? 

Haven't most people been staying at home for past weeks anyway? 

Three million primary school pupils were in school today to potentially spread the virus.

We were told yesterday schools are safe, we were told this morning schools are safe...what's changed in TWELVE HOURS.

1 minute ago, Blue blood said:

Oh yes because 4 year olds really have the capacity to understand all of this in a rational and intellectual way. I mean, let's be honest everyone knows thats not how 4 year olds think - parents, education professionals, psychologists. To offer such advice is living in a fantasy land. A 4 year old gets upset over a lost pencil but will understand the long term need for a lockdown. The only reason to pretend this is the case is to not criticise the Tories. It's pure and utter fabrication. 

Then there's the comment as lots have been on inset days. What about all those who weren't? Does that take away from a change of plan within 24 hours? Is it professional to change it within 24 hours of a new term? How does this match with the perfectly safe comments? What about all the prep teachers have done? 

I think am still on ignore but would appreciate a requote so he is challenged on his absolutely illogical comments

Good post. Happy to oblige

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes some schools had an INSET day today, which 99% used to plan and prepare lessons for the coming week or 2. As the Govt told them schools were open this planning would have been done with the understanding of F to F teaching. Now to close schools tomorrow and expect schools to instantly go to online learning as well as F to F teaching is just ridiculous.as was shown last time. Online learning lessons are in a lot of cases completely different to F to F lessons. So teachers now have from 8pm till 8am tomorrow morning to completely replan lessons. Heads now have to work on the logistics of online learning before the morning. You really have no idea Chaddy and use the fact your daughter goes to a school to post as though you are an expert. My wife works as a solicitor but I wouldn't dream of acting as an authority on the law..

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Yes, you gave it to the poor foreign delivery driver and then went to Cheltenham. Super spreader extraordinaire.....

Still banging about Cheltenham after 10 months. 

Still trying to be proven right and still isn't! 

Just now, lsp82 said:

Yes some schools had an INSET day today, which 99% used to plan and prepare lessons for the coming week or 2. As the Govt told them schools were open this planning would have been done with the understanding of F to F teaching. Now to close schools tomorrow and expect schools to instantly go to online learning as well as F to F teaching is just ridiculous.as was shown last time. Online learning lessons are in a lot of cases completely different to F to F lessons. So teachers now have from 8pm till 8am tomorrow morning to completely replan lessons. Heads now have to work on the logistics of online learning before the morning. You really have no idea Chaddy and use the fact your daughter goes to a school to post as though you are an expert. My wife works as a solicitor but I wouldn't dream of acting as an authority on the law..

Literally, finished work at 4. Four hours later the plans are totally changed.

Boris Johnson and this government are the worst I have ever known. The level of incompetence is breathtaking. 

I make no apology for saying that anyone backing them or unable to see what they are doing is either thick or is benefitting from them in some way.

Just now, lsp82 said:

well secondary schools were close for 2 weeks to most pupils anyway and was doing online learning. 

I agree on online learning lessons being very different and not the same as face to face lessons. 

No one is trying to be expert but talking from our experiences and knowledge

Just now, imy9 said:

Literally, finished work at 4. Four hours later the plans are totally changed.

Boris Johnson and this government are the worst I have ever known. The level of incompetence is breathtaking. 

I make no apology for saying that anyone backing them or unable to see what they are doing is either thick or is benefitting from them in some way.

Thankfully I made decision not to open my schools today, but I will still be up past 2am sorting everything for tomorrow then in at school at 7am.

36 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

The lockdowns are highly effective and bring the infection rate down hugely.

Rate should drop off a cliff from tomorrow. Though higher transmissibility of the variants likely to slow it down.

See the curve from March from the ZOE symptom study. From 2M active infections to 500k in 20 days.

5eac252ee3c3fb73c508e679.jpeg

In fairness the first lockdown was more like house arrest, with very few places open, no support bubble concept, and people far more willing to comply as they had been told everything would be fine by the summer. Supermarkets were also only allowing small numbers of people in and forcing customers to queue - which as far as I'm aware isn't being implemented again. As you noted we also have a new, much more transmissible version of the virus that wasn't around back then.

Lockdown will help somewhat, but it isn't going to be as effective as it was in March. 

1 minute ago, lsp82 said:

Thankfully I made decision not to open my schools today, but I will still be up past 2am sorting everything for tomorrow then in at school at 7am.

You can only do so much mate. I'd try to get some sleep!

• Moderation Lead
24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who are these four year olds that you think have the intelligence and understanding of fully grown adults?

42 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

The lockdowns are highly effective and bring the infection rate down hugely.

Rate should drop off a cliff from tomorrow. Though higher transmissibility of the variants likely to slow it down.

See the curve from March from the ZOE symptom study. From 2M active infections to 500k in 20 days.

5eac252ee3c3fb73c508e679.jpeg

This isn’t the same lockdown as in March though. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well secondary schools were close for 2 weeks to most pupils anyway and was doing online learning. 

I agree on online learning lessons being very different and not the same as face to face lessons. 

Actually Chaddy, we were told to prepare for mass testing of pupils for next week...so no the schools are not closed, nor were they in the first lockdown. We have set up everything and apparently army personnel were going to test the pupils...let me know if you know where they are, we are still awaiting details...

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes but the entire problem is the lack of time to prepare. We all have done online learning over the past few months but changing from one to the other within 12 hours is just a joke. 

You have no experience of planning lessons creating resources or delivering lessson in either capacity. Nor do you have any experience in running a school, teaching children so your experience and knowledge is zero.

Tell me Chaddy with your experience and knowledge how to I enable 62 children with no access to a laptop to do online learning when the govt has only given me 4 laptops out of the 62 promised in June?? 

That's what I'll be working on tonight.

Edited by lsp82
1 minute ago, DE. said:

In fairness the first lockdown was more like house arrest, with very few places open, no support bubble concept, and people far more willing to comply as they had been told everything would be fine by the summer. Supermarkets were also only allowing small numbers of people in and forcing customers to queue - which as far as I'm aware isn't being implemented again. As you noted we also have a new, much more transmissible version of the virus that wasn't around back then.

Lockdown will help somewhat, but it isn't going to be as effective as it was in March. 

I think the first lockdown was a bit more novel as well. I remember my first trip to sainsburys, gave everyone a 10m wide birth  as soon as I got back to the car I'd pour about 5 litres of hand sanister over myself. People are a lot more desensitized to it now

Good luck with it all @lsp82 and @imy9. May the force be with you. 👍

Gotta say, having a 6 year old and recently seeing education in action, I have a newfound respect for the profession. 

I always thought it was a tough job mind, can't imagine the patience it requires even in a normal World. These last 9 month though, you must have been under some insane pressure with things constantly changing.