There was an article on PM tonight about a number of people who are reporting that their persistent long covid complaints got a lot better a few days after having the Pfizer vaccine. Still anecdotal but a professor has heard enough reports to suggest it needs investigating.

I've spent the day calling patients at my wife's old surgery to some in for vaccinating later this week. I've been working on those under 60 with underlying medical conditions and we've got down to 54 year olds already. As we get to younger people it gets harder to catch them on the phone, either home or mobile, which is understandable as many will be working or out exercising on days like today. Out of 130 calls I only had two refusals, both because they thought the vaccines had been rushed through too quickly. Quite a few either had already been to a mass centre or have just booked. 

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaddyrovers

• Gav

• den

• RoverDom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

False dichotomy alert. I don't quite see how the two are related. I mean it's not an either or is it? Given the furlough and mortgage schemes (both excellent btw) are already in place before Cumm

Have spent a couple of days thinking what to write on here as I am utterly bewildered as to what this so called government is up to regarding schools. Firstly, before Christmas my school had seve

All I can say is it's a nice bonus as a key worker that my son arrived today instead of his due date of 22nd December. Work have very generously offered me extended Pat Leave for 3 weeks full pay as o

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, only2garners said:

There was an article on PM tonight about a number of people who are reporting that their persistent long covid complaints got a lot better a few days after having the Pfizer vaccine. Still anecdotal but a professor has heard enough reports to suggest it needs investigating.

I've spent the day calling patients at my wife's old surgery to some in for vaccinating later this week. I've been working on those under 60 with underlying medical conditions and we've got down to 54 year olds already. As we get to younger people it gets harder to catch them on the phone, either home or mobile, which is understandable as many will be working or out exercising on days like today. Out of 130 calls I only had two refusals, both because they thought the vaccines had been rushed through too quickly. Quite a few either had already been to a mass centre or have just booked. 

Do you offer the vaccines again later to the refuseniks or just cross them off the list permanently? 

I don't know what the official policy is Jim - above my pay grade as a volunteer clerk. I suspect though they will be contacted again. I don't think either were hard anti-vaxxers, just a bit nervous and they may both come back themselves.

In truth I reckon I could have got one of them to come except that he couldn't make the time I had available on this Saturday anyway. I'm sure my wife would! I've already seen her in action with one of her long term patients.

26 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I've spent the day calling patients at my wife's old surgery to some in for vaccinating later this week. 

You should both be very proud of your efforts o2g, I know you’re not doing it for the praise, but it’s a fantastic effort from you the Mrs and thousands of others. 

Several members of my family have been at the coal face since January 2020, hopefully you’re all on the home straight now.

Superb effort.

Edited by Gav
14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Do you offer the vaccines again later to the refuseniks or just cross them off the list permanently? 

At my missus surgery the ones that out right refuse and say that they'll never have it get marked down as such and told to ring if they change their mind. I'm not sure if they'll be contacted way into the future but they'll be way down the list. Those that either cant make it or are uncertain just get contacted next time they get a delivery slot. 

In truth I've done bugger all Gav. I've had 4 half days driving a nurse around for housebound vaccinations, today booking appointments and this Thursday as a marshall. The wife's done a bit more than me but still a handful of days in total.

I've probably spent more time on the Fans Forum (for I'm sure no praise at all!).

Just now, RoverDom said:

At my missus surgery the ones that out right refuse and say that they'll never have it get marked down as such and told to ring if they change their mind. I'm not sure if they'll be contacted way into the future but they'll be way down the list. Those that either cant make it or are uncertain just get contacted next time they get a delivery slot. 

I was speaking to a refusenik the other day who changed her mind and was reluctantly put back on the list for a phone call only after some persuasion. 

8 minutes ago, only2garners said:

In truth I've done bugger all Gav. I've had 4 half days driving a nurse around for housebound vaccinations, today booking appointments and this Thursday as a marshall. The wife's done a bit more than me but still a handful of days in total.

I've probably spent more time on the Fans Forum (for I'm sure no praise at all!).

You’re playing a small part in the national effort 👍

Is my mate Tris still on FF?

Just had my first Oxford/astra zeneca jab at the cathedral. Very well organised. Bag search for some, new mask provided then asked a few questions before moving along an orderly que to one of the 8 bays. I counted 12 people ahead of me so was in and out and didn't have to wait 15 minutes. Was told by time I get to car 15 minutes would be up. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/03/covid-deaths-high-in-countries-with-more-overweight-people-says-report?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

"The biggest factor in the death toll is age, says the report, but being overweight comes second. It is already known to increase people’s risk when they contract infectious diseases such as flu"

didnt a tory MP get quite a lot of criticism for saying that we've got a high death toll due to an aging and obese population. 

Far from the only factor but highlights that as a country we need to get in better shape. 

10 hours ago, RoverDom said:

didnt a tory MP get quite a lot of criticism for saying that we've got a high death toll due to an aging and obese population. 

He, quite rightly, got criticism for only mentioning those 2 factors on 2 grounds:

1) He didn't't seem to feel that government had a role here

2) he didn't acknowledge the role government had played in the years prior to the pandemic which made the country more vulnerable. He mentioned those 2 factors only.

This country is grossly obese. I don’t have much time for it frankly because I think personal responsibility comes into it. Obese children is the worst because it isn’t their fault.

I equally dislike the notion that govt plays a role in obesity. The abundance of fatty sugary foods is there for all of us but only some choose to eat it to excess. I’m quite bad for cans of coke myself, but at the same time I keep myself active and enjoy a varied diet. Government cannot be to blame for everyone else’s lack of personal responsibility. They can tax sugar as much as they want but quite frankly if you are gorging on pizza and chips 6 nights a week then you aren’t acting in a responsible way.

The idea that good food is too expensive annoys me too. At university I ate chicken thighs, rice / pasta and broccoli 3/4 times a week because it was affordable and healthy. Cost me less than 2 quid a meal. Then we had people smashing 1.99 pot noodles because they were skint. Made no sense to me. More lazy than skint 

In my last morrisons shop, A bunch of 5 bananas is 75p where as a multi pack of 4 mars bars is £1.50. 

I was the same at uni, I ate for as cheaply as possible, it was always some combination of meat, veg, and pasta / rice so I also dont buy the idea that it's too expensive to eat healthy. 

A bit if personal responsibility over your own health is one way to protect the NHS. The media wasted a week wondering if boris had broken rules by doing a bike ride 7 miles from home. How about we encourage people like him to get in shape and not be a burden on the NHS instead? 

One of the biggest wastes of money this country has ever spent. Johnson promising us a 'world beating' test and trace system was just another lie and simply a chance for his cronies to make money.

COVID-19: Test and Trace barely used check-in data from pubs and restaurants - with thousands not warned of infection risk | Science & Tech News | Sky News

43 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

This country is grossly obese. I don’t have much time for it frankly because I think personal responsibility comes into it. Obese children is the worst because it isn’t their fault.

I equally dislike the notion that govt plays a role in obesity. The abundance of fatty sugary foods is there for all of us but only some choose to eat it to excess. I’m quite bad for cans of coke myself, but at the same time I keep myself active and enjoy a varied diet. Government cannot be to blame for everyone else’s lack of personal responsibility. They can tax sugar as much as they want but quite frankly if you are gorging on pizza and chips 6 nights a week then you aren’t acting in a responsible way.

The idea that good food is too expensive annoys me too. At university I ate chicken thighs, rice / pasta and broccoli 3/4 times a week because it was affordable and healthy. Cost me less than 2 quid a meal. Then we had people smashing 1.99 pot noodles because they were skint. Made no sense to me. More lazy than skint 

They was a poster on here who posted regular about the UK obesity problem. That poster was @Bazzanotsogreat

Yes the UK does have Obesity and it does come down to personal responsible as much as anything. 

I did a shopping list for a family of 4 who can have 5 evening meals for 20 pounds a week which contain a vegetables 4 nights out of 5 with a different meat option and Pizza on Friday night as treat for them. 

Since I gone working nights its been easy for me stop eating rubbish and gone for more fruit. I eat 3 or 4 pieces of fruit during a shift. Plus with my job including a lot of Physical work its is helping me losing weight. I got a short way of weight but a long way to my goal. My biggest problem is bread and over eating it. 

11 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

A bit if personal responsibility over your own health is one way to protect the NHS. The media wasted a week wondering if boris had broken rules by doing a bike ride 7 miles from home. How about we encourage people like him to get in shape and not be a burden on the NHS instead? 

is the media including TV, online and newspapers interest in promote own personal responsible of our health and buying the right items for your own diet and well being. 

The Government and NHS did launch an advertisement on keeping healthily and exercising. 

Better Health - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

(488) Better Health - Let's do this | NHS - YouTube

3 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Bozo didn't cycle 7 miles to the Olympic park - He was driven there for a photo op cycling around the park, which then backfired on him

12 hours ago, RoverDom said:

They have surplus of the stuff because their residents don’t want it and they are still blocking shipments?!? Wow 

5 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

They have surplus of the stuff because their residents don’t want it and they are still blocking shipments?!? Wow 

I assume to cover up their appalling procurement effort many months ago, which was much praised by phillip (who I havent seen around here for a while??) 

17 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

They was a poster on here who posted regular about the UK obesity problem. That poster was @Bazzanotsogreat

Yes the UK does have Obesity and it does come down to personal responsible as much as anything. 

I did a shopping list for a family of 4 who can have 5 evening meals for 20 pounds a week which contain a vegetables 4 nights out of 5 with a different meat option and Pizza on Friday night as treat for them. 

Since I gone working nights its been easy for me stop eating rubbish and gone for more fruit. I eat 3 or 4 pieces of fruit during a shift. Plus with my job including a lot of Physical work its is helping me losing weight. I got a short way of weight but a long way to my goal. My biggest problem is bread and over eating it. 

is the media including TV, online and newspapers interest in promote own personal responsible of our health and buying the right items for your own diet and well being. 

The Government and NHS did launch an advertisement on keeping healthily and exercising. 

Better Health - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

(488) Better Health - Let's do this | NHS - YouTube

When I was working in the Engineering industry I didn't need to go to the gym. The work kept me pretty fit and my weight down. Since I've retired I've had to watch what I eat. I've cut alcohol out completely but unfortunately I've replaced it with Mrs Shoelaces chocolate habit. I have a long ( 2 hours ) walk every day I can, that's most days.

Cyprus saying they'll accept UK vaccinated tourist by mid May 2021 but that doesn't mean UK Government will allow anyone to go. At the moment its not illegal to book a holiday, just illegal to travel. 

Too early to say if this is a good idea, the ball has to start at some time and the travel companies/hotels will need notice. Fingers crossed that over the coming weeks number of deaths & cases will fall dramatically but we aren't there yet.

We had a Villa booking deferred from last July in Cyprus - Just booked the flights, hopefully things will have calmed down as losing the villa is more expensive than losing the Flights.

The Italians are well within their rights to block the exports of vaccines.

Italy is currently at the beginning of a massive 3rd wave and already has about 100,000 people dead. The pandemic is non-existent in Australia with next to zero cases.

Why should Italians die to protect Australians from a disease they have little risk from currently? It’s like wanting a starving man to give an obese man his last morsel of food. 

Australians were saying they were in no rush to begin their vaccination programme as they handled the pandemic so well. So they can wait a bit more!