BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Can we make the Playoffs?

We all need to get out of the mindset that finishing 6th is a return the the Premier League. Even IF we finished 6th — for the record I am convinced we won’t — we would have to beat two clubs that over a season have been better than us. Very unlikely, but I think a top 10 finish is a decent achievement even still. 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

- Financial worries gone

- Tosin stays another year

- We’d be able to have any of the European targets we wanted - they’d choose us over CH clubs

- Bumper crowds and some games against Burnley

- Venky’s probably come and watch a game, people would also probably be a little more forgiving

- Three years of parachute payments even if we got relegated, with the knowledge of how to NOT spend that money like last time (Danny Murphy, Dickson Etuhu)

Bliss. But I just don’t feel like it’s happening. Not this year.

We would need so many players. Last 2 times we went up we had squads I was confident could keep us up, and the second one nearly didn't!

Not this time! We would be so unprepared, Venkys would be expecting a gravy train, they'd stagger at what it would cost to put a credible team out.

Lenihan, Travis, Nyambe are potential Premier League players. I'm struggling after that! Can't count players on loan. Rothwell,Holtby and Rothwell are injured of course so they are potential players in a higher league subject to injury problems being sorted. However no certainty that they would be good enough. Holtby is injury-prone and Dack has to recover from a long-term injury

We'd have no strikers, none of the 5 are good enough and (it goes without saying), no wingers! No Matty, no Duffer, no Flitcroft.

TM up to this challenge you think?

Agree wth you ,I don't feel its happening this year either.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

Can I ask why my posts were deleted?

I was responding to a poster who said we are doing well in spite of Mowbray 

There was another where I responded to two posters who said that Mowbray doesn't want to get promoted 

A response would be great,because I haven't received any reason why. Seems like biased and one sided censorship to me. Very unnecessary. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I said in the summer (May) that the decision had been made to move Mulgrew, Smallwood and Graham out of the team. They had been told and the likes of Evans and Benno were also told that they needed to pick up their game to stay in the team which was going to evolve into a more technical based outfit.

The manager later came out publicly and stated the same. He’s stuck to his guns and the team are now playing how he wanted them to. If only we had Dack, Holtby and Evans fit now. I’d really fancy us going into those last 13 games.

Did I read somewhere that 7 wins will probably do it? If so then the season doesn’t hang on Saturday though a positive result would keep up the momentum.

A more technical based outfit---what's that mean? Gallagher as a "wide striker"? No-one up front who can head it? No-one to supply decent crosses from the bye-line  if he could?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

There was another where I responded to two posters who said that Mowbray doesn't want to get promoted 

A response would be great,because I haven't received any reason why. Seems like biased and one sided censorship to me. Very unnecessary. 

Its not one-sided believe me! I'm talking from experience!:unsure:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I can’t see any posts which have been hidden from you. How long ago are we talking here? I’ve only gone back 2 pages. 

13 minutes ago, J*B said:

We all need to get out of the mindset that finishing 6th is a return the the Premier League. Even IF we finished 6th — for the record I am convinced we won’t — we would have to beat two clubs that over a season have been better than us. Very unlikely, but I think a top 10 finish is a decent achievement even still. 

Yes...but usually it is the team on a run rather than the team who has been in the playoff positions all season that gets promoted. Considering where many of us, including myself, thought we'd finish then sixth would be an achievement.

I still worry about the fact we can go on a long negative run as much as a positive one

16 minutes ago, J*B said:

Of course, it would just be nice to get there for once. Will be a lottery we would likely lose but you never know.

Just now, J*B said:

I can’t see any posts which have been hidden from you. How long ago are we talking here? I’ve only gone back 2 pages. 

Might not be in this thread,although I thought it was. 2 posts from this morning. 

I went into my profile and I can see the one I made about needing to keep Lenihan available , but the other two I made aren't there. 

I think we’ll have a clear picture after the Swansea game. 
PNE have to play WBA and Fulham

Cardiff have Forest and Brentford

Bristol C have WBA and Millwall. 

Basically everyone is playing everyone around them so points will be dropped. 
If we can come out with 6+ points I’d be delighted. Expecting 4 though. 
Anything on Saturday for me is a bonus. 

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Snap, my first post for months is missing. BTW, mine was the one was saying inspite of Mowbray.

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

A more technical based outfit---what's that mean? 

He means Tony thinks he is Pep Guardiola and is trying to get us playing a possession game. Have to say we had most of the possession yesterday and apart from the first 15 minutes made Charlton look very poor. 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Might not be in this thread,although I thought it was. 2 posts from this morning. 

I went into my profile and I can see the one I made about needing to keep Lenihan available , but the other two I made aren't there. 

Could be a technical thing. To be honest we are winging it with no tech support nowadays, there’s all sorts of errors and updates needed in the website. 

It was interesting listening to a group of Charlton fans on the train after the game. They were very disappointed after their Forest result but were very impressed with Rovers, thought we "did a job" on them, liked Armstrong and our "rock solid" defence and thought we would make the playoffs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Snap, my first post for months is missing. BTW, mine was the one was saying inspite of Mowbray.

Ah ok, maybe it is a technical issue so. 

I mean you are entitled to that opinion and me mine. Neither of us were being rude or anything. 

Anyway, I don't think that's fair. I mean you can't just not take into account his signings, motivation or tactics and say that we are doing well in spite of him. If we were doing badly I have no doubt it would be on Mowbray. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ah ok, maybe it is a technical issue so. 

I mean you are entitled to that opinion and me mine. Neither of us were being rude or anything. 

Anyway, I don't think that's fair. I mean you can't just not take into account his signings, motivation or tactics and say that we are doing well in spite of him. If we were doing badly I have no doubt it would be on Mowbray. 

Really? why?

His transfer dealings are hit and miss. In league one, he tried forcing a three man defence on us, then after signing attacking players he changed tactics to defend against a right back from Oldham. I can't remember why but he basically he had to go to a formation that the supporters wanted and he gained success. Then upon winning promotion changed formation again.

This season his insistance on playing Gallagher out wide has destroyed his big signing's confidence and only injury to the player has forced him to abandon it.

So yes, I maintain we in the position despite him rather than because of him.

• Like 1

This new argument about Rovers doing well currently "BECAUSE WE HAVE INJURIES" is absolutely comical.

If ever there was proof required that no matter what happens there will be pelters thrown at Mowbray look no further. If I remember when we went on our 6 out of 7 winning run (have I got that run right?) we were told: "Mowbray has finally listened to the fans", essentially because he played Rothwell. Then when that run continued it was luck, we weren't performing and we were winning "in spite of Mowbray's tactical cluelessness". Now we are still on a good run it's because of the injuries and Mowbray's hand being forced.

We were winning whilst Gallagher played out wide and we are winning since he's been injured. I'm in absolute agreement that we need a proper set of wingers to allow Gallagher to go more centrally but it hasn't happened yet. However, here we are, with all our squads deficiencies sitting close to the play offs and having a decent season. There are a few posters on here that need to remember it can't be both ways; if Mowbray is at fault for the bad, he is at fault for the good too. You can't have it both ways.

Mowbray has had untold amount of criticism on here for his signings, press conferences, mannerisms, ability to keep a dressing room etc etc but them same people are mysteriously missing as soon as there's reason to give credit or, in the more frustrating cases, go into absolute overdrive trying to talk down any praise.

"We are were we are in spite of Mowbray" is a dumb thing to say. Sorry if that offends. If that is the case then all of the bad runs we have been on is also not the fault of Mowbray's. He picks the team, he picks the tactics and he is judged on results.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Really? why?

His transfer dealings are hit and miss. In league one, he tried forcing a three man defence on us, then after signing attacking players he changed tactics to defend against a right back from Oldham. I can't remember why but he basically he had to go to a formation that the supporters wanted and he gained success. Then upon winning promotion changed formation again.

This season his insistance on playing Gallagher out wide has destroyed his big signing's confidence and only injury to the player has forced him to abandon it.

So yes, I maintain we in the position despite him rather than because of him.

You are leaving out and conveniently ignoring so many other aspects of management. I mean going back to a game against Oldham to try and downplay this season is a real leap. 

Going to a formation the supporters wanted? Sorry to break it to you,but he doesn't do what supporters want and to even attempt to do so would be impossible as the fan base wants different things. 

To say we are doing well in spite of him is ludicrous in my opinion. He's not perfect and makes mistakes,but you are going to far with that statement

Can I ask, if we were doing badly,would it all be on him? I suspect it would. It's just interesting that you paint the picture that doing well now is in spite of him, yet if we were doing badly it would all be on him. I think you are gone too far down the anti Mowbray rabbit hole. You ain't the only one to be fair. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

This new argument about Rovers doing well currently "BECAUSE WE HAVE INJURIES" is absolutely comical.

If ever there was proof required that no matter what happens there will be pelters thrown at Mowbray look no further. If I remember when we went on our 6 out of 7 winning run (have I got that run right?) we were told: "Mowbray has finally listened to the fans", essentially because he played Rothwell. Then when that run continued it was luck, we weren't performing and we were winning "in spite of Mowbray's tactical cluelessness". Now we are still on a good run it's because of the injuries and Mowbray's hand being forced.

We were winning whilst Gallagher played out wide and we are winning since he's been injured. I'm in absolute agreement that we need a proper set of wingers to allow Gallagher to go more centrally but it hasn't happened yet. However, here we are, with all our squads deficiencies sitting close to the play offs and having a decent season. There are a few posters on here that need to remember it can't be both ways; if Mowbray is at fault for the bad, he is at fault for the good too. You can't have it both ways.

Mowbray has had untold amount of criticism on here for his signings, press conferences, mannerisms, ability to keep a dressing room etc etc but them same people are mysteriously missing as soon as there's reason to give credit or, in the more frustrating cases, go into absolute overdrive trying to talk down any praise.

"We are were we are in spite of Mowbray" is a dumb thing to say. Sorry if that offends. If that is the case then all of the bad runs we have been on is also not the fault of Mowbray's. He picks the team, he picks the tactics and he is judged on results.

Well said. 

Nothing to add apart from I notice certain posters who are extremely vocal and critical when we lose, are noticeably quite when we win. You would almost think they enjoy moaning more than giving praise.

• Like 2

Having a decent goal difference is certainly helpful and serves as decent evidence that we are where we deserve to be in the league! I also don't think any of the teams above us (maybe excluding WBA) are home and hosted so it's all to play for. 

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well said. 

Nothing to add apart from I notice certain posters who are extremely vocal and critical when we lose, are noticeably quite when we win. You would almost think they enjoy moaning more than giving praise.

To be fair mate it’s a lot easier to talk about where you think we went wrong or what we could do different rather than yup great result, played well. Same again next game. Which is why losses will go pages more than wins 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are leaving out and conveniently ignoring so many other aspects of management. I mean going back to a game against Oldham to try and downplay this season is a real leap. 

Going to a formation the supporters wanted? Sorry to break it to you,but he doesn't do what supporters want and to even attempt to do so would be impossible as the fan base wants different things. 

To say we are doing well in spite of him is ludicrous in my opinion. He's not perfect and makes mistakes,but you are going to far with that statement

Can I ask, if we were doing badly,would it all be on him? I suspect it would. It's just interesting that you paint the picture that doing well now is in spite of him, yet if we were doing badly it would all be on him. I think you are gone too far down the anti Mowbray rabbit hole. You ain't the only one to be fair. 

I used the Oldham game as an example, other examples of that season is using Chapman at home and battering Portsmouth then changing the following week against Wigan and going defensive. He concentrates too much on the opposition's strengths rather than ours. Even the most pro Mowbray supporter has to admit he has his favourites which can be detrimental to the team.

Maybe I am being over citical in saying that it is despite him and he has made good signings but nobody can call him a tactical genius. Inspirational managers make bold changes which change games, do things that you,as a supporter, cannot see and inspire by their sheer presence. Can you say that about Mowbray?

Likewise watching the team when it is struggling, you think what will Mowbray will do to change it round. We all think well thats us beat then. It is not all down to him obviously but he is paid to lead and inspire. I just keep thinking if we had a manager that inspires then we could be in a higher position. 

• Like 2