BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (A) - 12:30pm KO (Sat 22nd Feb 2020)

He has played a lot through the middle and been in the main ineffective there too. 

One thing that does puzzle me is that he is very technically limited, some changes ie Downing, Adarabioyo, Holtby and Armstrong playing central are all understandable in terms of the new tactics, Gallagher doesnt fit in at all. Johnson albeit with far more pedigree doesnt really fit in either.

46 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Surely there's a reason for that, and it's not just because our 5' 8" super striker is better at holding the ball up and scoring.

Who would you choose to play No. 9 between SG & AA?   

Weird argument this. AA was also bought to play CF but had to settle for a long period out wide because of the form of DG and BD. Now he’s had a chance and taken it.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that SG was bought as a CF not a wide forward. He’s having to bide his time too but it’s a fair assertion to suggest that he will be DG’s replacement and will challenge AA along with BB for that top spot going forward?

In answer to your question, I’m not insane, I would of course pick AA but we need more than one option and with DG all but done the SG is the most likely challenger. Surely?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He has played a lot through the middle and been in the main ineffective there too. 

One thing that does puzzle me is that he is very technically limited, some changes ie Downing, Adarabioyo, Holtby and Armstrong playing central are all understandable in terms of the new tactics, Gallagher doesnt fit in at all. Johnson albeit with far more pedigree doesnt really fit in either.

I don’t think he’s been played and trusted down the middle. His opportunities have been limited to the odd game, a half or the last 10 mins. He’s been used in that position like Armstrong who also struggled but has notably kicked on once he’s accepted as the main man.

I do agree with you regards SG technically. Looks average at best and very wooden though seems to have an absolute rocket of a shot.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I don’t think he’s been played and trusted down the middle. His opportunities have been limited to the odd game, a half or the last 10 mins. He’s been used in that position like Armstrong who also struggled but has notably kicked on once he’s accepted as the main man.

I do agree with you regards SG technically. Looks average at best and very wooden though seems to have an absolute rocket of a shot.

He was earlier in the season. Against Charlton, Fulham, West Brom, Reading, Luton, Forest, Birmingham, Preston, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Bristol City, Birmingham, Huddersfield and v Birmingham in the cup.

Not often seen that rocket of a shot either sadly.

5 hours ago, garnersfags said:

I knew that would flush out a couple of responses.

16 goals (more?) last season, 5 assists, but he was instrumental in 50% of our goals.  He has scored 51 goals in 123 appearances.  

If you go to a couple of games, or watch on the tele, you'll see how naturally comfortable SG is with the ball at his feet. He often finds himself in the centre forward position, but I genuinely haven't seen him show the potential to be a 20 goal a season striker. 

Exactly the same as his 1st spell, he scores a good goal every seven or eught games. 

What have you seen to indicate that he will be consistently successful up front at play-offs level? 

Speed & hard work aren't enough.

It flushed out responses because the absolute maximum DG has ever delivered for us, as good as he has been, is 22 goal contributions (assists and goals) and that was in League One. His other seasons have had 19, 16, and 7 (which was his half season). This season he has 3. He has never scored 20 goals in a season for us either, which is what you just said SG needs to be to replace him.

As much as I like DG and am unsure about SG, the claims you've made don't match the stats. It's also worth pointing out SG did a lot better goals wise in his first spell than this one (just over 1 in 4, versus just over 1 in 10 this time), so saying the spells are the same isn't true either.

The rest of your argument is fair enough, but where you've used actual numbers, you're way off, sorry.

Personally, I really can't tell yet whether he is going to come good, alright, or a total flop. I also think he should shave his head! He's a big lad and that floppy hair makes him look softer plus seems to get in the way a little. Go aerodynamic, go bully-boy! (Minor point and half joking, but it couldn't hurt)

I feel as though we're a lot better equipped this season defensively than last tbf, not just in terms of ability but mentally too. Of course there's been a few blips along the way like with any team, but last week as a prime example - I wasn't a nervous wreck expecting us to collapse.

Last season I think we lined up with

Captain Flappy

Bennett   Lenihan   Rodwell  Bell

Assuming we line up the same as last week its obvious who the weak link is but I don't want to be overly critical as the lad still grafts.

We know better than anyone their keepers biggest weaknesses and will hopefully look to exploit them all game. Get Downing firing them balls in.

If we want to make another comparison with this fixture last time we really REALLY did need to win there we did, sadly the final outcome wasn't the one we wanted.

I haven't been this nervously excited for a game for a long time.

Aye, it was probably some of the League 1 run in games.

End of the day, I don’t expect us to be in the play off shake up every year, but in 8 years we’ve not spent a single weekend (discounting the early weeks of 2012/13) in the top 6.

Just a bit of excitement and meaningfulness to fixtures in the run in can do wonders for us fans.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

It did last season.

No, it didn’t. It was significant but the performances of the lads and manager and their inability to effect the 11 games or whatever that we went without a win was what killed us.

On Saturday we fight with everything we have for 3pts. If we are beaten then we have to hope that the players and Mowbray don’t feel like it’s the turning point. That they put the game to the back of their minds, whatever the score and get to winning the 6 or 7 more games they need to meet the collective goal.

Edited by Paul Mani

49 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

On Saturday we fight With everything we have for 3pts. If we are beaten then we have to hope that the players and Mowbray don’t feel like it’s the turning point. That they put the game to the back of their minds, whatever the score and get to to winning the 6 or 7 more games they need to win.

Surely no hope is required if the result's not a season-changer? Stop contradicting yourself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

You have to wonder if it is true or is someone trying to panic people into buying ?

Suspect it will be true. A relatively small allocation, large portion of Southern Rovers based fans, last trip to Griffin Park. Think each previous occasion we've sold out or gone close.

Just save it in the archives for when dingles go on about support. 800 at Southampton last Saturday lunchtime, 1600 at Brentford with Rovers this.

• Like 1

The Dingles have gotten into the same lull with attendances/away followings that we had in the mid 00's.

The novelty of being a fairly comfortable top flight side has worn off, and the ones I know sometimes even say how boring it is turning upto games that you just know you have no chance of winning etc.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Amo said:

Surely no hope is required if the result's not a season-changer? Stop contradicting yourself.

There’s no contradiction.

The result on Sat ISN'T a season changer. It’s a chance to gain 3pts. The fact of the matter is that we can lose three on the trot and still get into the playoffs with a run of wins. It’s the seven wins and three draws which matter most over a 13 game season for us now.

BUT considering there are people on here hell bent on the idea that Sat is a ‘must win’ game, the point I was making is that I personally hope the manager and players feel more pragmatic about the situation and possibilities regardless of the score, rather than hanging their hat on Saturday and feeling the season is over if we don’t win. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

The Dingles have gotten into the same lull with attendances/away followings that we had in the mid 00's.

The novelty of being a fairly comfortable top flight side has worn off, and the ones I know sometimes even say how boring it is turning upto games that you just know you have no chance of winning etc.

Mark. So true is the statement above...

46 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I remember that feeling well.

17 hours ago, garnersfags said:

I knew that would flush out a couple of responses.

16 goals (more?) last season, 5 assists, but he was instrumental in 50% of our goals.  He has scored 51 goals in 123 appearances.  

If you go to a couple of games, or watch on the tele, you'll see how naturally comfortable SG is with the ball at his feet. He often finds himself in the centre forward position, but I genuinely haven't seen him show the potential to be a 20 goal a season striker. 

Exactly the same as his 1st spell, he scores a good goal every seven or eught games. 

What have you seen to indicate that he will be consistently successful up front at play-offs level? 

Speed & hard work aren't enough.

Wait ,wait, you said Graham was responsible for 30 goals some seasons, what you write above doesn't match that. 

Saying he has strengths than SG doesn't is fair enough, but that,s not what you initially said.