BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Owd Photos o’t’ Rovers

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2020/oct/03/graffiti-fishing-and-mr-whippy-unseen-photographs-from-footballs-yesteryear

Some belters here. Lots of recently discovered Rovers photos from 50's and 60's...and a few from some lesser teams.

Ally looks a bit cold!

Terrific - there is something evocative and authentic about black and white photos.

Thanks for sharing them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Terrific - there is something evocative and authentic about black and white photos.

Thanks for sharing them.

Pleasure - superb pics.

Most of us will come from a long line of Rovers fans so it's always a joy to see how things were when our parents/grandparents etc were supporting the mighty Rovers. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 4

On 15/03/2020 at 16:09, bazza said:

My dad turned 18 in 1920 so it would be a bit like me watching Rovers in 1961.

Unfortunately I don't know much about which games he watched. He spoke mostly about the current times (for me) i.e. 1951 to 1965 when he died. I don't even know whether or not he went to the 1928 cup final. I doubt it. He did have a very good friend who was a professional footballer and played for the Rovers around 1929 and later Burnley. I wish I had questioned him more about players like Crompton, Latheron, Healless and Ted Harper. 

Why have I never wandered down this particular Memory Lane before? ?

My Dad was born in 1908; so he'd have been too young to appreciate fully the two Division One titles and unfortunately died in 1984 so missed the more modern Glory Days. His memories of the teams of the 1920s were so vivid, he had the young me believing that Teddy Harper was still playing.

He couldn't afford a ticket for the '28 Final but his best pal went to that game. After the War, that best pal became my Godfather; and before he died, he gave me his 1928 ticket because he and his wife had no children of their own. It's still in a box somewhere; I must dig it out.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Pleasure - superb pics.

Most of us will come from a long line of Rovers fans so it's always a joy to see how things were when our parents/grandparents etc were supporting the mighty Rovers. 

Dead right. I remember being about seven or eight years old when my Mum told me she was only twelfth in my Dad's affections because there were eleven Rovers ahead of her.

That was in the days before substitutes, obviously!

• Like 4