Jump to content

Rovers - Gençlerbirliği UEFA Cup 2003 Highlights


Recommended Posts

We really battered them at home, could have scored five there and should have gone through if it weren't for bad finishing and excellent goalkeeping from their guy. Speaking of goalkeeping, Friedel doesn't exactly cover himself in glory for their first goal in the away tie, even though it's a good finish.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, why are you bringing up this total embarrassment of a result? Did my best to forget the whole thing happened.

That said, I've just watched it anyway lol. I don't think I've ever seen a goal live a more charmed life.

Edited by bluebruce
Link to post
Share on other sites

Amoruso, forgot about him but the sight of him trailing behind a striker through on goal (their third in the first leg) was a very a familiar sight that season.

Genclerbirligi. Larissa. We certainly had some odd European ties and defeats. Thankfully when I think back of our European adventures in the 2000s it’s usually Salzburg, Wisla Krakow, Feyenoord etc that come to mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, frosty said:

Amoruso, forgot about him but the sight of him trailing behind a striker through on goal (their third in the first leg) was a very a familiar sight that season.

Genclerbirligi. Larissa. We certainly had some odd European ties and defeats. Thankfully when I think back of our European adventures in the 2000s it’s usually Salzburg, Wisla Krakow, Feyenoord etc that come to mind.

None of those defeats were more humiliating than Trelleborgs though.

Amoruso was a total snail. Tough and great in the air but couldn't run. However, I still remember him bizarrely beating Michael Owen in a foot race once and wondering if I'd briefly slipped into an alternate dimension.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Sorry, why are you bringing up this total embarrassment of a result? Did my best to forget the whole thing happened.

That said, I've just watched it anyway lol. I don't think I've ever seen a goal live a more charmed life.

I never saw those goals back in 2003, only read about them, and this showed up in my Youtube feed. Besides, it's an interesting reminder of a bygone, yet not that distant era, where we signed respected players and developed several prospects of our own, for the world stage rather than the English second tier.  

Lots of blasts from the past as well. Classy players like Jansen och Cole, workers like Flitcroft, Emerton and Thompson, and just plain odd signings like Baggio and Gresko. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Commondore said:

I never saw those goals back in 2003, only read about them, and this showed up in my Youtube feed. Besides, it's an interesting reminder of a bygone, yet not that distant era, where we signed respected players and developed several prospects of our own, for the world stage rather than the English second tier.  

Lots of blasts from the past as well. Classy players like Jansen och Cole, workers like Flitcroft, Emerton and Thompson, and just plain odd signings like Baggio and Gresko. 

Thompson was a bit classy as well though. I loved that lil guy. Arte et Labore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.