BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Football League Suspended

16 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51934215

Championship clubs voted to finish the season.

How & when is something else.

"All 24 second-tier clubs held a video conference on Tuesday.

It followed a similar meeting on Monday when the current top six-placed clubs agreed in their desire to play remaining fixtures, a view supported by at least three other clubs".

I wonder if the other three clubs are those in the relegation places. So only 9 clubs from 24 voted to finish the season, I'm glad my club appears to have put the health of it's supporters, players and staff before any financial thoughts. 

It could be at least August (if not further away) that football resumes. If that were the case, the 2019-20 season could be finished by, say, the end of September.

I would then have a month’s break and start the 2020-21 season on 1 November but, for that season only, play a reduced number of games, perhaps 19 games by playing each other side only once, instead of twice. Any slack could be taken up by  improving the cup competitions (home and away legs for all) or other steps.

Id rather just finish this season almost certainly behind closed doors if at all possible or failing that, write off this season as null and void and have the full quota of games next season if at all possible. I would consider amalgamating seasons and having reduced fixtures in future seasons as the very last resort.

Saying that, I appreciate that in 10th place, my team hasnt got the same riding on it as teams going for titles, promotions or potentially being relegated. 

13 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

It could be at least August (if not further away) that football resumes. If that were the case, the 2019-20 season could be finished by, say, the end of September.

I would then have a month’s break and start the 2020-21 season on 1 November but, for that season only, play a reduced number of games, perhaps 19 games by playing each other side only once, instead of twice. Any slack could be taken up by  improving the cup competitions (home and away legs for all) or other steps.

Just remove the cup competitions next year - nobody takes them seriously anyway.

One real unknown for me in these unprecedented circumstances is will supporters lose interest and find other things to do with their time. At the moment it would be three weeks football free but the opinion seems to be that it will be much longer. As a club we have lost a lot of fans who originally boycotted but many have lost complete interest in the club (and football) and do other things with their money.

We really are in uncharted waters here from many perspectives and for lots of clubs it could be the sounding of the death knell. The EFL are simply making interest free loans available and whilst that will cover the short term the bigger picture is extremely worrying.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Just remove the cup competitions next year - nobody takes them seriously anyway.

True, well not until the later rounds anyway. The cup competitions do, though, bring much needed income to the L1 and L2 teams, especially when playing PL opposition. In the scenario I mention above, the FA Cup for example, could be an opportunity to bring together non league and league teams much earlier in the competition to potentially earn the non league boys further income. There’d be more chance of one of them ‘doing’ the Clarettes, as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

True, well not until the later rounds anyway. The cup competitions do, though, bring much needed income to the L1 and L2 teams, especially when playing PL opposition. In the scenario I mention above, the FA Cup for example, could be an opportunity to bring together non league and league teams much earlier in the competition to potentially earn the non league boys further income. There’d be more chance of one of them ‘doing’ the Clarettes, as well.

Aye,' Remember you're a Womble' seams an awful long time ago!

• Like 1

On 18/03/2020 at 18:04, Claytons Left Boot said:

That is my time scale also to cope with play offs etc.

I wonder if the EFL might consider for the 2020-21 the return of the old North/South Divisions from the past?

12 teams in each Division would only necessitate 22 matches which could be fulfilled before the end of May. The top team in each Division gets automatic promotion with the second and third placed teams involved in a play off for the third spot.

This is a very difficult situation where clubs futures are very much at stake. We need some careful decision making.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Aye,' Remember you're a Womble' seams an awful long time ago!

? I went to Turf Moor, Nick, with a few of my India Mills FC, Rovers supporting mates when they played Runcorn in 1981. We were in the away section of the Longside and it’s fair to say we went mental when Runcorn went one up. Unfortunately, the Clarettes eventually won 2-1. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

That is my time scale also to cope with play offs etc.

I wonder if the EFL might consider for the 2020-21 the return of the old North/South Divisions from the past?

12 teams in each Division would only necessitate 22 matches which could be fulfilled before the end of May. The top team in each Division gets automatic promotion with the second and third placed teams involved in a play off for the third spot.

This is a very difficult situation where clubs futures are very much at stake. We need some careful decision making.

Now that's a good idea I'd not thought of. Perhaps we need, at least for the next few seasons, to go back to the concept of regional divisions for the present Leagues One and Two.

Well thought-of, that man!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, arbitro said:

One real unknown for me in these unprecedented circumstances is will supporters lose interest and find other things to do with their time. At the moment it would be three weeks football free but the opinion seems to be that it will be much longer. As a club we have lost a lot of fans who originally boycotted but many have lost complete interest in the club (and football) and do other things with their money.

I wondered this at first. But I think we will miss the whole thing so much that when it comes back people will want to be a part of it still.

I'm a Rovers fan who was born in Blackpool and, even though in my mid-70s, still have mates - yes 2 of them! - from schooldays who were fans of Blackpool.

One of them lives in London, so can only really attend away games in the South of England; but the other still has an FY postcode and was a Regular at Bloomfield Road until the dreadful Owen Oyston - ironically an Older Boy of our old school than us two - began to be the subject of their equivalent of our protests against our owners.

My mate and his family changed the habits of a lifetime and stopped going to games. Once they achieved their aim, they returned to the fold and he and I sat side by side at the last 'Pool vs. Rovers pre-season Friendly.

Yes,  some of the Protesters found other things to do when they stopped going to games; and I couldn't tell you how their gates last season compared with the last pre-Protest season but you can see the hard core of fans - like my 73-year-old pal are back in the fold.

• Like 1

Next season will be a massive challenge now on and off the park make no mistake. The whole thing could be about to be turned on its head again. History tells us in hard economic times Blackburn is always one of the first to react to a downward spiral and is always one of the hardest hit areas.

Hopefully it'll blow over but i fear some hard times ahead again akin to the 80's unless Boris & co work some miracles to underpin the whole economy.