BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

You can change one result in Rovers' history....

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

I think some of his big money crap signings were the biggest reason. I've heard some of the established stars were less than impressed by what he was bringing in.

As for the other side of it it's true his methods were different. They got a good response in the beginning with some of the best football and fittest looking Rovers players I've seen. They couldn't keep it up though and he couldn't seem to put his finger on what was needed so just flogged them harder. Then he started desperately throwing the money about as plan b.

Started a lot of long lasting rot that did.

Yes this is true. I think this was one of my favourite Rovers teams. Flowers, Kenna, Hendry, Henchoz, (ahem) Croft, Flitcroft Sherwood McKinley, Duff, Gally, Sutton was a heck of a fantastic side. Perhaps our most underrated 11. 

Problem was bar Wilcox (who was often in this 11) the squad was poor. Tore Petersen, Anderson, Valary, Dahlin, the squad players weren't much kop whatsoever. 

In fact bar Henchoz, most of Roy's signings were pretty poor. Even before he flashed the cash. 

Edit - how did I forget Ripley? Another quality midfielder who started the season on fire. Shame there was no depth defensively or up front. Mind you our attempts to strengthen there didn't go so well. 

Edited by Blue blood
  • Like 2

• Backroom
On 15/04/2020 at 14:06, K-Hod said:

FA Cup Semi vs Chelsea, 7-1 at United and the 2-1 defeat at Bolton where we equalised, then they re took the lead directly from the kick off.

The latter two being Allardyces last games?

The Bolton one was a sickener, Holden with the goal I think 

14 hours ago, tomphil said:

A lot of Hodgsons over payed for trash wouldn't have looked out of place in the Kean/Anderson era.

Guy pissed tens of millions of Jacks cash straight down the pan.

I'd argue that given the circumstances his signings record was the worst of any Rovers manager. All that money and only Henchoz was a success.

I read an article in my paper years ago were Jim Smith was being interviewed. Regarding the Dailly signing he said a little bird had told him Rovers were sniffing around so he'd discussed a possible fee with his directors. The chairman had told him " Not a penny less than £2 million Jim ". He nearly fell off his chair when Roy Boy came straight out and offered £5 million !  Even then he talked the fee up another £250K !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd argue that given the circumstances his signings record was the worst of any Rovers manager. All that money and only Henchoz was a success.

I read an article in my paper years ago were Jim Smith was being interviewed. Regarding the Dailly signing he said a little bird had told him Rovers were sniffing around so he'd discussed a possible fee with his directors. The chairman had told him " Not a penny less than £2 million Jim ". He nearly fell off his chair when Roy Boy came straight out and offered £5 million !  Even then he talked the fee up another £250K !

The guy really didn't know the British market at all i remember the Dailly thing. Hodgson came out with something on the lines of iv'e seen a player today who i think would be great for us but will cost a lot of money. After we'd played them first game of the season, then up pops Dailly for about 5 million.

Him, Blake for about 4.5, Davies 7 million plus a few others so yes the worse business of any manager at Ewood with money to spend. Absolutely terrible in fact as even the vastly inexperienced Kidd got some quality in with the money he had. Awful as he was he still had to carry the can for a lot of Roys bad work.

Rovers 1 Coventry 2   late 1966-67 season

We were relegated from the old first division in 1965-66 and were pushing for promotion straight back up (no playoffs and only 2 promoted in those days)

Crunch game against promotion rivals Coventry (managed by Jimmy Hill) went badly wrong with Mike Ferguson sent off and a loss that effectively put us out of the race.

It had huge consequences. Rovers went on a downward path for the next 25 years and only got back to the top flight in the early 1990s, while Coventry won promotion and were in the first division for two decades.

I

23 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Sheff Weds a few seasons ago, I think we were 3 up or something. We had a cracking side at the time and a bit of momentum behind us. We drew in the end and lost momentum and the season pettered out. We should have finished in the play-offs that season.

That one or the Yeovil result. I think we had a similar result away at Watford to the Wednesday one not long after if I remember correctly.We really should of at least had a day at Wembley that season

Edited by Oldgregg86

55 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Rovers 1 Coventry 2   late 1966-67 season

We were relegated from the old first division in 1965-66 and were pushing for promotion straight back up (no playoffs and only 2 promoted in those days)

Crunch game against promotion rivals Coventry (managed by Jimmy Hill) went badly wrong with Mike Ferguson sent off and a loss that effectively put us out of the race.

It had huge consequences. Rovers went on a downward path for the next 25 years and only got back to the top flight in the early 1990s, while Coventry won promotion and were in the first division for two decades.

I

It was 0-1 Jim. I was in the " Hake Boat "  in town after the game queuing up for fish and chips. There were a few Coventry fans in front of me who were cock a hoop and looking forward to playing in the old First Division. I wasn't impressed with how Coventry played that day. They looked very average and basically parked the bus even against 10 men. I remember thinking " You'll be straight back down again ". How wrong I was - they had about 30 years at top level in spite of being near the bottom of the league most of the time.

We'd some really good players then but the management was past their sell by date. Jimmy Hill would have walked that league with our players.

16 hours ago, tomphil said:

I think some of his big money crap signings were the biggest reason. I've heard some of the established stars were less than impressed by what he was bringing in.

As for the other side of it it's true his methods were different. They got a good response in the beginning with some of the best football and fittest looking Rovers players I've seen. They couldn't keep it up though and he couldn't seem to put his finger on what was needed so just flogged them harder. Then he started desperately throwing the money about as plan b.

Started a lot of long lasting rot that did.

I'll argue that the rot started the day Dalglish went upstairs. Harford was a great coach but never a number 1. I was surprised that he lasted so long. Rovers should have gone all out in the summer of 1995 by buying 3 or 4 quality internationals and securing a top manager. Jack Walker's loyalty got the better of him.

Having said that I agree with you that Hodgson did contribute. Here are all his signings;

17 June 1997

DF

Stéphane Henchoz

24 June 1997

DF

Patrick Valéry

8 July 1997

FW

Martin Dahlin

8 July 1997

FW

Anders Andersson

1 August 1997

GK

John Filan

8 September 1997

DF

Tore Pedersen

10 September 1997

GK

Alan Fettis

10 February 1998

DF

Callum Davidson

21 May 1998

MF

Jimmy Corbett

9 July 1998

FW

Kevin Davies

21 August 1998

DF

Christian Dailly

26 October 1998

MF

Oumar Kondé

30 October 1998

FW

Nathan Blake

11 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'll argue that the rot started the day Dalglish went upstairs. Harford was a great coach but never a number 1. I was surprised that he lasted so long. Rovers should have gone all out in the summer of 1995 by buying 3 or 4 quality internationals and securing a top manager. Jack Walker's loyalty got the better of him.

Having said that I agree with you that Hodgson did contribute. Here are all his signings;

17 June 1997

DF

Stéphane Henchoz

24 June 1997

DF

Patrick Valéry

8 July 1997

FW

Martin Dahlin

8 July 1997

FW

Anders Andersson

1 August 1997

GK

John Filan

8 September 1997

DF

Tore Pedersen

10 September 1997

GK

Alan Fettis

10 February 1998

DF

Callum Davidson

21 May 1998

MF

Jimmy Corbett

9 July 1998

FW

Kevin Davies

21 August 1998

DF

Christian Dailly

26 October 1998

MF

Oumar Kondé

30 October 1998

FW

Nathan Blake

That is a horrific list both on the cheap and expensive. 

2 good signings - Filan and Henchoz, 1 unluckily to get injured in Davidson. The rest - urgh. TM has a much better record than that and I don't think transfers are his strongest suit. My word Roy got it so very badly wrong. 

22 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

2 good signings - Filan and Henchoz, 1 unluckily to get injured in Davidson. The rest - urgh. TM has a much better record than that and I don't think transfers are his strongest suit. My word Roy got it so very badly wrong. 

Add in that 1995 title winners Le Saux, Berg, Ripley, Hendry, and Pearce all left under his watch as well as the talented Bohinen. That's a lot of experience gone.

Hodgson was, and still is, a talented manager - I'll forgive his England mess. Maybe the Rovers job came a year or two too early for him.

52 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

17 June 1997

DF

Stéphane Henchoz

24 June 1997

DF

Patrick Valéry

8 July 1997

FW

Martin Dahlin

8 July 1997

FW

Anders Andersson

1 August 1997

GK

John Filan

8 September 1997

DF

Tore Pedersen

10 September 1997

GK

Alan Fettis

10 February 1998

DF

Callum Davidson

21 May 1998

MF

Jimmy Corbett

9 July 1998

FW

Kevin Davies

21 August 1998

DF

Christian Dailly

26 October 1998

MF

Oumar Kondé

30 October 1998

FW

Nathan Blake

One of the best players he signed in my opinion was Perez for about 3 million but he didn't know what to do with him so another wasted.

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Add in that 1995 title winners Le Saux, Berg, Ripley, Hendry, and Pearce all left under his watch as well as the talented Bohinen. That's a lot of experience gone.

Hodgson was, and still is, a talented manager - I'll forgive his England mess. Maybe the Rovers job came a year or two too early for him.

Funnily enough looking back it all looks horrific - terrible transfers, letting good players go. But I can't remember feeling like he'd royally screwed it up at the time or that it wasn't "our" team. (In fact his first season team is one of my favourites.) Perhaps it was because he had a good start? Or maybe it's hindsight? Or maybe because I was a kid? 

But given what he inherited and the youngsters coming through and the finance available it was a huge mess. 

2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

I reckon the average manager will get 50% of their  signings right. Really good managers get about 75% to 80% signings right. Hodgson's figures were terrible.

Just catching up, football seems a long time ago.

I'm with Leonard on this one. Whilst I don't recognise the fact that Steve Twat ever existed, let alone managed  our great institution, that fateful day on NY eve 2011 when Ferguson had disciplined Rooney etc for their Christmas boozing, and his depleted side let us win 3-2 at the theatre of shite. He was one loss away from being kicked into the long grass. He would have been toast. 

Didn't we go on to lose 7-1 at the Arse in the New Year. I've never forgiven Ferguson either!

Whilst the Loons would probably have fucked up a new appointment, he would have gone, and a fighting chance of surviving in the PL.

I was at the Chelsea semi, gut wrenching, but I got over it. The above still irritates to this day!

45 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

He was one loss away from being kicked into the long grass. He would have been toast. 

Do you think? Personally I think that job was Kean’s for as long as he wanted it. He wasn’t being judged on results. If they didn’t sack him after consecutive home defeats that December to West Brom and Bolton, leaving us with 10 points from 17 games, I doubt they’d have got rid after a defeat at Old Trafford. 

If however that’s true and he was on the brink before we went to Anfield and Old Trafford that Christmas, then yeah I wish we’d have got thumped in them both.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

17 June 1997

DF

Stéphane Henchoz

24 June 1997

DF

Patrick Valéry

8 July 1997

FW

Martin Dahlin

8 July 1997

FW

Anders Andersson

1 August 1997

GK

John Filan

8 September 1997

DF

Tore Pedersen

10 September 1997

GK

Alan Fettis

10 February 1998

DF

Callum Davidson

21 May 1998

MF

Jimmy Corbett

9 July 1998

FW

Kevin Davies

21 August 1998

DF

Christian Dailly

26 October 1998

MF

Oumar Kondé

30 October 1998

FW

Nathan Blake

Hodgson also signed;

Darren Peacock

Sebastien Perez

and Dario Marcolin on loan

Just now, frosty said:

Do you think? Personally I think that job was Kean’s for as long as he wanted it. He wasn’t being judged on results. If they didn’t sack him after consecutive home defeats that December to West Brom and Bolton, leaving us with 10 points from 17 games, I doubt they’d have got rid after a defeat at Old Trafford. 

If however that’s true and he was on the brink before we went to Anfield and Old Trafford that Christmas, then yeah I wish we’d have got thumped in them both.

If the club had any semblancy of normal he'd have gone after that Bolton loss just before Christmas. It was an atrocious performance against a local rival who also happened to be fighting relegation. The atmosphere was nasty too.

1 minute ago, frosty said:

I remember the time well. the only time I've wished a Rovers loss. I'm ashamed, but hated the fucker. A decent Manure win, yes it was toxic, he would have gone.

Just now, speeeeeeedie said:

If the club had any semblancy of normal he'd have gone after that Bolton loss just before Christmas. It was an atrocious performance against a local rival who also happened to be fighting relegation. The atmosphere was nasty too.

That's my point, it was an accumulation of total vitriol towards him, the football was dire. A 5-0 defeat.....yet Sir Alex put out dross. Bastard!