BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Brilliant video .... thanks for posting

The legend that was Gerald Sinstadt......."here is a chance now for Oldham to make it 3-1......."

Don Martin was. such a fine player.  Better than Brereton.

Died in November 2009 aged 65. Too young

I remember him making his debut for us in a 0-0 draw with Norwich. Kevin Keelan had a blinder in goal for them.

Don was a very classy footballer who could play almost anywhere on the pitch. He wasn’t really a No 9 though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riversider28 said:

Whenever Gerald came to Ewood, he was always greeted by a chorus of “Sinstad’s a w*nker” by the Blackburn End faithful. Very unkind in my opinion.

Not really, given his exploits in ‘adult cinemas’, I’d say the Blackburn End were - for once - bang on the money on that one to be fair 😂

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember him making his debut for us in a 0-0 draw with Norwich. Kevin Keelan had a blinder in goal for them.

Don was a very classy footballer who could play almost anywhere on the pitch. He wasn’t really a No 9 though.

The Don had an abundance of what we would call ‘football intelligence’. I learnt a lot from watching him as a youngster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I was having a beer in the Saxon on the Friday before Rovers entertained WHU, Devonshire and all, with Gerald having dinner, I gave them some stick, to no avail 😢 80ish?

The Saxon, trying to bring class to Blackburn.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

The Don had an abundance of what we would call ‘football intelligence’. I learnt a lot from watching him as a youngster.

Yeah he was what I call an “ economical “ player. Everything he did was calm and measured, he was a really thoughtful player, nothing was rushed.

Wasn’t he the last player to score by charging the goalkeeper back over the goal line ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Seeing Garrett get sent off for a lovely sliding tackle made me think how much the game has changed. It's now played by superfit cissies.

Ronnie Clayton would have been sent off every game under present laws.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

A couple of extremely dubious penalties there against us...

Very dubious, even in todays football. Jimmy Hill, what a shit bag, he never had a good word for us. Showed what a good player Tony Field was, a quicker version of  Bradley Dack. I would have put my house on him scoring with that first half chance. What a great advertisement for the old Div 3 that game was. Eccles and Fazackerley must have been our youngest centre half pairing. When you watch that game and then todays football it’s like chalk and cheese, a completely different game. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Very dubious, even in todays football. Jimmy Hill, what a shit bag, he never had a good word for us. Showed what a good player Tony Field was, a quicker version of  Bradley Dack. I would have put my house on him scoring with that first half chance. What a great advertisement for the old Div 3 that game was. Eccles and Fazackerley must have been our youngest centre half pairing. When you watch that game and then todays football it’s like chalk and cheese, a completely different game. 

Indeed. I was marvelling at the weight of pass that both Mecky and Tony Parkes consistently played up to the likes of Hutchins, Endean and Field. Especially taking into account the state of the pitches back then too. Superb players.

16 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Indeed. I was marvelling at the weight of pass that both Mecky and Tony Parkes consistently played up to the likes of Hutchins, Endean and Field. Especially taking into account the state of the pitches back then too. Superb players.

I liked how everybody was looking to get the ball forward at the first opportunity.  The game was more spread out then, there was room for the midfield players to work.  Todays it’s all bunched up in the middle.

• Like 1

I was there too, as I suspect were @arbitro @Claytons Left Boot and @USABlue to name but three. Fabulous to see Jones, Faz, Mecky, Field and Napier in their pomp.

Things I miss about football: pitches seemingly twice as big as they are now, mud, barrel-chested players, sideburns, tackles, Sir Roger’s woollen gloves.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Thinking about it - then the ball was played in front of players most of the time for them to run on to. Now it’s played directly to players much more, consequently they’re taking it stood still and they still need two touches.

Your so right and it makes me spit when you see a player with yards of virgin grass in front of him and the pass is made directly to him instead of in front of him. What silly term is this called in the modern coaching manual ? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What a good team that was ....... players full of character. Don't you think that 3rd division team would wipe the floor with most Championship teams now and beat the present day Rovers side? They might get done for pace in some areas but the skill level was so much higher

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ianrally said:

Your so right and it makes me spit when you see a player with yards of virgin grass in front of him and the pass is made directly to him instead of in front of him. What silly term is this called in the modern coaching manual ? 

A shit ball !

• Like 1