Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread


Recommended Posts

On 10/06/2024 at 08:16, Upside Down said:

Probably my favourite period of Rovers.

Solid mid table Premier League team and could challenge for Europe when we were on form.

We could have beaten anyone in the world on our day back then.

We could have taken the game to anybody back then. It was all about intent and it started from the top. John Williams wanted to win, which is why he bought winners to the club in Souness and Hughes. Everybody was on the same page and Rovers were a reflection of both of those managers whilst they were in the hot seat. Not afraid of anybody and we would go with a no fear approach against the big clubs. Yeah, we would lose against those sides sometimes due to their extra quality, but we'd almost always give them a fright. We had Samba telling us that Drogba and Anelka didn't like coming to Ewood because it was always a tough fight for them. That speaks volumes.

Mowbray worrying about an Oldham right back and Eustace bricking it against Millwall, Plymouth and the like is absolute rubbish, not befitting of this football club. It has only become a thing due to these owners and that slime ball of a CEO. That's how far we have fallen under these tossers. Yet some still say 'be careful what you wish for'. Those people need to find some bloody shame and ask themselves where their standards have gone.

Anyway, take a look at the clip below. Going to Stamford Bridge as a newly promoted club and showing no fear. We should have had two penalties and won the game as a result:

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

We could have taken the game to anybody back then. It was all about intent and it started from the top. John Williams wanted to win, which is why he bought winners to the club in Souness and Hughes. Everybody was on the same page and Rovers were a reflection of both of those managers whilst they were in the hot seat. Not afraid of anybody and we would go with a no fear approach against the big clubs. Yeah, we would lose against those sides sometimes due to their extra quality, but we'd almost always give them a fright. We had Samba telling us that Drogba and Anelka didn't like coming to Ewood because it was always a tough fight for them. That speaks volumes.

Mowbray worrying about an Oldham right back and Eustace bricking it against Millwall, Plymouth and the like is absolute rubbish, not befitting of this football club. It has only become a thing due to these owners and that slime ball of a CEO. That's how far we have fallen under these tossers. Yet some still say 'be careful what you wish for'. Those people need to find some bloody shame and ask themselves where their standards have gone.

Anyway, take a look at the clip below. Going to Stamford Bridge as a newly promoted club and showing no fear. We should have had two penalties and won the game as a result:

 

One hundred percent.

Although just add a caveat there, this was Chelsea pre Abramovich.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

One hundred percent.

Although just add a caveat there, this was Chelsea pre Abramovich.

True. Though they still had some very handy players in Zola, Hasselbaink, Gudjohnsen and Lampard out there. We did scare Jose's Chelsea a couple of times too. I remember Mourinho saying that their 1-0 win at Ewood in Feb 2005 was their most important one that season. His celebration at the end said it all. They had to scrap like mad that night to beat us. Bellamy scoring twice at the Bridge in 2005 to level the game from 2-0 down worried them for a bit too, before their quality told in the end.

My point is more about the mentality, despite us losing some of those games. Both Souey and Hughes had that intent and I loved how they instilled that 'no fear' attitude in our sides. It certainly wound up the likes of Wenger, Rafa and a few more.

Something that sticks in my mind is hearing Hughes speak a day before Rovers went to Old Trafford. At that time almost every away side that visited OT, apart from a couple of the title contenders, would go 4-5-1 there and just hope for a point.

This was Hughes before the game: "They (Utd) are a fantastic side, but we have quality too and we want to give them something to worry about. We'll be going there to attack and to try and win the game".

24 hours later - Having gone 4-4-2, playing Tugay and Savage in CM, Bellamy and Dickov upfront:

Man Utd 1-2 Rovers - MGP brace. First win there in 43 years.

Mentality. A manager who wants to win, a manager who isn't scared and who transmits that to his players.

We'll find one of those managers again when all of these tossers have departed.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Anyway, take a look at the clip below. Going to Stamford Bridge as a newly promoted club and showing no fear. We should have had two penalties and won the game as a result:

 

Great days, the season after we went there and won fairly comfortably too. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

True. Though they still had some very handy players in Zola, Hasselbaink, Gudjohnsen and Lampard out there. We did scare Jose's Chelsea a couple of times too. I remember Mourinho saying that their 1-0 win at Ewood in Feb 2005 was their most important one that season. His celebration at the end said it all. They had to scrap like mad that night to beat us. Bellamy scoring twice at the Bridge in 2005 to level the game from 2-0 down worried them for a bit too, before their quality told in the end.

My point is more about the mentality, despite us losing some of those games. Both Souey and Hughes had that intent and I loved how they instilled that 'no fear' attitude in our sides. It certainly wound up the likes of Wenger, Rafa and a few more.

Something that sticks in my mind is hearing Hughes speak a day before Rovers went to Old Trafford. At that time almost every away side that visited OT, apart from a couple of the title contenders, would go 4-5-1 there and just hope for a point.

This was Hughes before the game: "They (Utd) are a fantastic side, but we have quality too and we want to give them something to worry about. We'll be going there to attack and to try and win the game".

24 hours later - Having gone 4-4-2, playing Tugay and Savage in CM, Bellamy and Dickov upfront:

Man Utd 1-2 Rovers - MGP brace. First win there in 43 years.

Mentality. A manager who wants to win, a manager who isn't scared and who transmits that to his players.

We'll find one of those managers again when all of these tossers have departed.

I loved Zola. He was first rate. That backheel goal he scored 🤌

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I loved Zola. He was first rate. That backheel goal he scored 🤌

Top drawer player. I remember he made his debut for Chelsea at Ewood in 1996. We have seen some players at Ewood over the years. Not only in the Rovers sides, but amongst the opposition too. Zola, Cantona, Henry, and more. Great to see us go into battle against some of the best and come out on top a few times too.

I think the last 14 years have caused some people to forget what the game is about and what Rovers are about. It is not this weak, cowardly iteration that these owners have brought about. Never. The club is currently a reflection of them and their lapdogs. Their PR machine and their agent buddies can try and spin it all they like about how "generous" they are and how they "don't get the respect they deserve". Absolute agenda driven bullshit that is. Taking a club from 10th place in the Premier League to this deserves no respect. Zero.

Edited by SuperBrfc
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I see Tommy Banks has died. He was just before my time but I’ve heard lots about him  ! RIP Tommy.

I think that might make Bryan Douglas the oldest surviving England international.

Apparently the oldest surviving England international is Colin McDonald b Oct 1930, then Ken Brown b Feb 1934, then Bryan b May 1934. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, Colin MacDonald was a top class keeper until he broke his leg, playing for England I believe. Ken Brown a decent steady centre half at West Ham but I think he only got one cap. How our Matt Woods never got an England cap when the likes of Brown did is a bit of a mystery.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great bit of footage here of our game away at Notts County in FA Cup 1992. The Speedie incident was classic, him leathering the ball out of the ground after being sent off.

If memory serves me right, both our game and dingles at Derby were called off on the Saturday due to frost. The police had put suggested routes for fans to travel all over the local press to avoid it kicking off, I think they staggered the midweek games over 2 nights.

 

 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gav said:

Great bit of footage here of our game away at Notts County in FA Cup 1992. The Speedie incident was classic, him leathering the ball out of the ground after being sent off.

If memory serves me right, both our game and dingles at Derby were called off on the Saturday due to frost. The police had put suggested routes for fans to travel all over the local press to avoid it kicking off, I think they staggered the midweek games over 2 nights.

 

 

I was at that game facing the camera. Speedie tried to nut 3 different players before landing one on the 4th 😂

Edited by Exiled in Toronto Mk2
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/06/2024 at 20:13, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

I was at that game facing the camera. Speedie tried to nut 3 different players before landing one on the 4th 😂

Yes I was stood on the side terrace also Exiled.

Notts Country were in the division 1 at the time, was Warnock the manger? They were relegated as we went up, just missing out on making the Premiership which came in the following season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

There have been great teams over the years but Brazil 1970 are the best for me. 

Many wouldn't argue with that Ian.

The Spain team that won The World Cup in 2010 are probably the best team I've ever seen:

Iker Casillas (c), Sergio Ramos, Gerard Piqué, Carles Puyol, Joan Capdevila, Sergio Busquets, Xabi Alonso Xavi Andrés Iniesta Pedro David Villa Jesús Navas Cesc Fàbregas Fernando Torres

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

brazil 1982 for me,got done by a bunch of italian animals and their own attacking instincts😩

At least the Italians went on to stop the Germans winning it,little me watching my first World Cup thought Schumacher had killed Battiston here and the ref didn't even give a free kick,he gave a goal kick.You could get away with anything back in those days.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Darrenbot said:

At least the Italians went on to stop the Germans winning it,little me watching my first World Cup thought Schumacher had killed Battiston here and the ref didn't even give a free kick,he gave a goal kick.You could get away with anything back in those days.

 

shocking that😒,epic world cup was spain 82 though,northern ireland beating spain in valencia.hungary winning 10 nil against el salvador,zico,eder,falcao and socrates,the disgrace of gijon,robson scoring after 20 seconds,england going out after not losing a game,maradona disgracing himself

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

brazil 1982 for me,got done by a bunch of italian animals and their own attacking instincts😩

The Italians took a leaf out of the book of their mates from 20 years earlier, known as the battle of Santiago

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Ianrally said:

The Italians took a leaf out of the book of their mates from 20 years earlier, known as the battle of Santiago

 

A bit lively wasn’t it. David’s picked on the wrong player in Sanchez, he’d been a boxer in his youth.

Racing Club v Glasgow Celtic was a bit of a war as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.