Jump to content

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Worst I remember was a Rovers fan climbing over the wall at the Blackburn End and attacking the QPR goalkeeper, Phil Parkes I think it was. Circa 1967. We had some real idiots supporters then.

Another memory is standing on Blackburn station around the same time as a returning football special to Burnley was passing through. Their finest wer leaning out of the windows throwing missiles at anyone who happened to be standing on the platform, little old ladies and children alike. It was frightening and a miracle no one was hurt

The headline in the Telegraph the next day was 'Ewood's Night of Shame' with a picture (probably by Wally Talbot) of a young nutter trying to kick their goalie in the nuts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A personal, potted history.... walking through centre turnstile on riverside to a packed Ewood for the first time. Awestruck at the scarves, rattles. marching band. seeing Ronnie Clayton lea

Rovers fans have a lot to be thankful to Bill Fox for. An often forgotten figure in our ascendancy but the man who laid the foundations. While the rest of our traditional rivals were applying for re-e

I was just sat having a brew and sausage sandwich and my wife informed me that tomorrow is the third anniversary of her dad passing away aged 92. He was a 'hybrid' football supporter, following both R

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Speedie leapt like a salmon there & hung around for an age, fantastic technique! He really was superb for us in that 1 season, perhaps amongst the best players we've had who only spent one season here? Bellamy another.

If you had to pick just one player to thank for getting us back to the big time it'd have to be Speedie. Who did more ? What would he be worth today ? He was absolutely unquenchable in fighting spirit. When I say " It's what's beating under the badge that matters most " players like Speedie epitomise that will to win no matter what the score is. No such thing as a lost cause with players like him. Give us another Speedie up front with the team we've got now and I'd seriously fancy us to go up.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you had to pick just one player to thank for getting us back to the big time it'd have to be Speedie. Who did more ? What would he be worth today ? He was absolutely unquenchable in fighting spirit. When I say " It's what's beating under the badge that matters most " players like Speedie epitomise that will to win no matter what the score is.

I just checked, he scored 23 goals in 36 apps, a tremendous record, the most prolific spell of his career (albeit most of it having been spent in the top tier). Like you say he played like every game was his last, a real terrier of a striker who I bet most CBs hated playing against. 

I was sad when he left, it felt unfair and too soon, but that decision really can't be criticised & the plus side is he can now be considered an untarnished Rovers hero. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I once went to watch Rovers play at Oldham back in the 80's round about Xmas time. Seems like Boundary park only had one turnstile open for away fans so it took ages to get in - queuing up i heard a big shout -Rovers 1-0 up, then another - Rovers 2-0 up! Finally got in and dashed straight to the gents, having had the obligatory few pints, and heard another shout from our end... We won 3-0 (I think) and I never saw a goal!

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Elvis Biro said:

I once went to watch Rovers play at Oldham back in the 80's round about Xmas time. Seems like Boundary park only had one turnstile open for away fans so it took ages to get in - queuing up i heard a big shout -Rovers 1-0 up, then another - Rovers 2-0 up! Finally got in and dashed straight to the gents, having had the obligatory few pints, and heard another shout from our end... We won 3-0 (I think) and I never saw a goal!

boundary park had the worst away end in the whole football league before they tarted it up,open ended and bloody freezing when the wind blew

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

boundary park had the worst away end in the whole football league before they tarted it up,open ended and bloody freezing when the wind blew

That plastic bloody pitch and Andy Ritchie :angry:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Great cross there from Windy followed by an even better header from Speedie. They should show this clip to Brererton and Gallagher - that's how you jump for a ball.  Rovers undone by an alehouse ball for the equaliser.

Was it not Craig Skinner who crossed for Speedie? That goal epitomised everything you said about Speedie in another post. He was in his own half, involved in the early build up, yet was in their 6 yard box to score with the header. Incidentally, I thought Skinner looked the more likely prospect when he and Wilcox came into the team around the same time. Shows what I know

Edited by renrag
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

it was that fat git rick holden who i did`nt like,looked like a slob,ran like an overweight slob but he used to put absolutely evil crosses in,the ones which draw the keeper out but veer away from him,a strikers nirvana?

Yeah he was a master at it. He'd get half a stride on the full back and boom, over would go a really deceiving bender of a cross. He was as good as any winger you care name at getting a cross in and he never wasted any.  Grealish did exactly the same thing the other night for England. When you see some of the crossing at Ewood nowadays I find myself shaking my head !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, renrag said:

Was it not Craig Skinner who crossed for Speedie? That goal epitomised everything you said about Speedie in another post. He was in his own half, involved in the early build up, yet was in their 6 yard box to score with the header. Incidentally, I thought Skinner looked the more likely prospect when he and Wilcox came into the team around the same time. Shows what I know

Yeah you're right it was Craig Skinner who put that far post ball in. The cross field ball from Wilcox ? out to him was a gem as well. The incident at the end summed Speedie up. He picked up a ball in the centre circle, fed the winger then busted a gut to get on the end of the cross, diving in where the boots are flying most of the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking about Speedie and Sunderland, I recall him getting sent off for fighting with Armstrong, Sunderland's centre back whilst playing for Chelsea? Coventry at Roker?

Midweek sports special? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ernie Hannigan - another one who missed his way. He was a bag of tricks.

Talking about Howard Kendall, he was about the same age as me and I recall feeling really envious of him when he was playing in the Cup Final as a very young player.

Fast forward a couple of years and I was stood right behind him when he was taking a throw in playing for Everton in a pre season friendly at Rochdale. I was near enough to see the bald spot appearing on the back of  his head, I wasn't quite so envious after that !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure if this has been posted here before or whether I might have even posted it myself in the past, but the below link is from the archives of Great Harwood FC and is an extremely detailed look at the career of Bryan Douglas. I imagine it has more information on Duggie than anything else on the internet.

For someone like myself who wasn't born until after he retired, but listened so often to my Grandad talking about him, it is a fascinating read. My Grandad was born in 1915 and died in 1994 which means he was born a year after we won the 1st Division title and died a year before we won it again. He started watching Rovers in the early '20s and I last went with him in 1993. He saw them all but thought Duggie was easily the best. So many stories.

 

http://www.greatharwoodtown.co.uk/bryandouglas.html

 

 

 

Edited by Colt Seavers
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, den said:

A personal, potted history....

walking through centre turnstile on riverside to a packed Ewood for the first time. Awestruck at the scarves, rattles. marching band.

seeing Ronnie Clayton leading rovers out of the tunnel.  First sight of Bryan Douglas. Orange ball. 
Rattle .... my dad made mine. He was a joiner. It was effin huge - embarrassing. 
 

Seeing Brian Clough the player. Check out his goal scoring record, it’s absolutely phenomenal .

watching the likes of Pele in the World Cup. Charlton best Law. Bobby Moore. Gordon Banks while still at Leicester. My mate played with Banks at the end of Banks’s career. My mate played right back in front of Gordon but Banks only had his left eye so never saw my mate ( he said).

16 year old Trevor Francis. Fantastic. Tony Green at Blackpool, one of the most skilful players I ever saw. Garrincha. Lineker, Keegan, Tommy Smith. Dalglish the player. Thierry Henry. Howard Kendall at PNE making his debut in 64 against forest in cup and going on to FA cup final. Alex Dawson. Ernie Hannigan. Bobby Lawton. 
 

Jimmy Greaves. Alan Gilzean. 
 

Best rovers forward line ever... Ferguson McEvoy Pickering Douglas Harrison. 
 

Fred Else. Keith Newton - the most stylish of all full backs. Played for England in 70 World Cup. Woods. England - first saw him playing at right half. Could play anywhere. Mick McGrath. Tony Field. Dumper Endean. Beamo. Don Martin. Eamonn Rogers. Hird, Bailey and Wagstaffe in same team. 
 

The two best results we ever had IMO. 8-2 away at West Ham and 7-2 thrashing of Spurs at Ewood both in same season.

Duggie passing the ball from a penalty. 

queing outside Old Trafford when turnstile doors slammed shut. Ground full. 
 

promotion from division three. Rovers 5 Plymouth 2.

League cup score line ... first division rovers 0 Workington 5. Kit Napier playing for Workington. Crowd 5000.

buying platform ticket at Leyland then getting on train. Jumping off train at Mill Hill before it stopped in station because we had no ticket. Jumped over fence.

Shearer. 
 

Venkys. Steve Kean. Killed it for me but they will NEVER take away fantastic memories.

Hopefully all you guys will have the same great memories when you get older.

 

Sorry for quoting the whole piece, but this is tremendous den :tu:

Superb.

I hope you can give us a bit more detail when you can find the time.

Matthews v Douglas? 

Edited by Gav
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gav said:

Sorry for quoting the whole piece, but this is tremendous den :tu:

Superb.

I hope you can give us a bit more detail when you can find the time.

Matthews v Douglas? 

When football resumed after WW2, Matthews would be in his early 30’s and a year or so later signed for Blackpool. I was taken to see him play a few times as a youngster, and saw him play as a teenager when he would be approaching 40, so I don’t know if I saw him at his best. He was a unique right winger, magical with the ball at his feet and a wizard at dribbling. He rarely moved more than a couple of yards from the touch line, consequently, when it came to scoring, he averaged just over a goal a season.
 

Bryan Douglas, in my biased opinion, was a much more talented all round footballer. He could beat a man by cutting in or going wide. He was sometimes accused of holding the ball too long, but a ball from Douglas would arrive at a teammate at exactly the right moment. I don’t recall him ever making a hospital pass. He was one of the most tactically aware players I have seen and was equally comfortable on the right wing or inside left and averaged around 10 goals a season. He made a huge contribution in the development of players like Pickering, McEvoy and Byrom and to their goal scoring records. In my opinion, the only English player I would put ahead of Douglas is the Preston plumber, who really was something else.

Edited by renrag
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gav said:

Talking about Speedie and Sunderland, I recall him getting sent off for fighting with Armstrong, Sunderland's centre back whilst playing for Chelsea? Coventry at Roker?

Midweek sports special? 

It was Gary Bennett who he fought and it was a proper, no holds barred scrap. They started fighting on the touchline and ended up toppling into the crowd. The referee gave them both a severe talking to ???.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speedie did absolutely nothing wrong there! A good, strong full blooded shoulder charge between both players, but then Bennett's response was completely one sided, Speedie didn't retaliate one little bit!  Don't get me wrong, he was a spikey character & I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a back story to the incident in the game previously, but he was entirely innocent of anything in that clip!

The same can't be said of Lee or Hunter though...

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Speedie did absolutely nothing wrong there! A good, strong full blooded shoulder charge between both players, but then Bennett's response was completely one sided, Speedie didn't retaliate one little bit!  Don't get me wrong, he was a spikey character & I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a back story to the incident in the game previously, but he was entirely innocent of anything in that clip!

The same can't be said of Lee or Hunter though...

Yes I thought that. Bennett got them both sent off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Speedie did absolutely nothing wrong there! A good, strong full blooded shoulder charge between both players, but then Bennett's response was completely one sided, Speedie didn't retaliate one little bit!  Don't get me wrong, he was a spikey character & I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a back story to the incident in the game previously, but he was entirely innocent of anything in that clip!

The same can't be said of Lee or Hunter though...

I think Speedie went in targeting Bennett’s knee, knowing that he had just returned after a while out with a knee injury. It should have been a yellow for Speedie and a red for Bennett, but referees often give the same sanctions to both players in those situations

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, renrag said:

I think Speedie went in targeting Bennett’s knee, knowing that he had just returned after a while out with a knee injury. It should have been a yellow for Speedie and a red for Bennett, but referees often give the same sanctions to both players in those situations

The referee was Dave Allison from Lancaster who was my coach for several years. He was what was termed then as a players referee, quite liberal in his style who generally managed games without too many problems. It was before all the mandates were given and laws changed in an attempt to bring consistency.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The third Celtic V Racing Club  World Club Championship highlights are probably the most violent although Chile V Italy in the 1962 World Cup got a bit lively.

The Chile v Italy game was nicknamed The Battle of Santiago which shows the kind of game it was, i think there's highlights of it on youtube

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.