BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

6 minutes ago, den said:

Cold at Football? You want to try beach casting from Rosall when the snows blowing into your face.

Thats cold.

are they still bashing the cod at rossall??never caught much there and moved to the gynn wall at blackpool,though not been for a few years tbh,price of black lug is a bit steep these days,unless you dig your own (f**k that for a lark!!)

6 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

are they still bashing the cod at rossall??never caught much there and moved to the gynn wall at blackpool,though not been for a few years tbh,price of black lug is a bit steep these days,unless you dig your own (f**k that for a lark!!)

?

don’t know to be honest. I doubt there’s much Cod around nowadays. Certainly not the 30 pounders that used to get caught from the boats off Clevelys.

(sorry for being off topic). 

Rochdale away in the old 3rd Division, early 1970's. Rovers fans stood behind one goal. Rochdale scored and ran off to re-start - however the netting wasn't properly pegged down and someone fished the ball out and passed it on to Birdy. He gave  it to Sir Roger Jones with a big wink - Roger then called over the ref and said it didn't go in because it's just been handed back to me by the crowd: Ref disallows it!  Rochdale players proceed to go bonkers and the ref sends one (or even two) off. Someone must have fessed up eventually as he later re-allowed the goal and then let the sent-off player(s) back on! The ref was genuinely Courtneyesque - I've never seen one get so many things wrong in one game. Bloody good laugh, though.

Anyone else remember this? The more I think about it about it, the more it seems like a surreal dream

Edited by Elvis Biro
grammar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Elvis Biro said:

Rochdale away in the old 3rd Division, early 1970's. Rovers fans stood behind one goal. Rochdale scored and ran off to re-start - however the netting wasn't properly pegged down and someone fished the ball out and passed it on to Birdy. He gave  it to Sir Roger Jones with a big wink - Roger then called over the ref and said it didn't go in because it's just been handed back to me by the crowd: Ref disallows it!  Rochdale players proceed to go bonkers and the ref sends one (or even two) off. Someone must have fessed up eventually as he later re-allowed the goal and then let the sent-off player(s) back on! The ref was genuinely Courtneyesque - I've never seen one get so many things wrong in one game. Bloody good laugh, though.

Anyone else remember this? The more I think about it about it, the more it seems like a surreal dream

Yes I was at that game, it was only about my 4th ever away game (the first three being Oldham, Notts County and Halifax)

2 hours ago, Elvis Biro said:

Yeah I was there, chaos reigned for about 10 minutes.

I remember being at a Rochdale v Brighton table topping Div 4 game, just think about that now. Early on in the game there was an almighty goal mouth scramble at the far end from me. The ball ended up in the net and the Rochdale players were celebrating a goal. The Brighton players went mad and drew the refs attention to the fact that part of the net wasn't attached to the cross bar and the ball had actually fallen into the goal through the gap !

So he disallowed the goal, cue the Rochdale players going mad. In all the chaos somebody notice the linesman was still flagging. The ref goes over, has a chat, comes back and awards ---- a penalty ! Apparently a Brighton player had handled the ball in the goal mouth scramble. Cue Brighton going mad again. Eventually Rochdale take the pen and score. It was a really feisty game, in the second half the Brighton centre half and Rochdale's centre forward had a stand up fight / come wrestling match and ended falling over the boundary wall and into the crowd.

Anybody else at that Bolton V  Rovers game were the ref got the time wrong and took everybody off about 15 minutes early ?  This was in spite of that big clock on the main stand at Burnden Park. We were all stood about wondering what was going on when after about five minutes or so the players came back out putting their kit on. Some had obviously jumped in the shower because their hair was soaking wet !  We were losing 2-1 at the time so I thought we might get a draw when we got started again but it stayed 2-1.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Gav said:

Thanks for your efforts in converting/posting these Herbie, very much appreciated. 

That pass was sublime as you say and a Wilcox header :o

Thanks so much, but for absolute clarity, these latest ones are from @FootyArchives1 on Twitter, I’m just posting these. I contacted the guy when he posted a Rovers video on YouTube & it turns out he lived in the Blackburn area at that time & bought club videos etc. I don’t have much pre-Premier League & what I have I’ve digitised already so these are adding to the collection nicely. It’s brought back some great memories I must say.

I have some 1995/6 & 96/7 ones to digitise but I’ll wait until 91/2 is finished.

This thread is now my favourite on the forum by a country mile. ?

I recently moved house, I’ve got plenty of  Rovers videos, they’ve been in the shed, probably knackered, late 80’s onwards.

I’ll dig them out, see what I’ve got. 

Edited by Gav

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah I was there, chaos reigned for about 10 minutes.

I remember being at a Rochdale v Brighton table topping Div 4 game, just think about that now. Early on in the game there was an almighty goal mouth scramble at the far end from me. The ball ended up in the net and the Rochdale players were celebrating a goal. The Brighton players went mad and drew the refs attention to the fact that part of the net wasn't attached to the cross bar and the ball had actually fallen into the goal through the gap !

So he disallowed the goal, cue the Rochdale players going mad. In all the chaos somebody notice the linesman was still flagging. The ref goes over, has a chat, comes back and awards ---- a penalty ! Apparently a Brighton player had handled the ball in the goal mouth scramble. Cue Brighton going mad again. Eventually Rochdale take the pen and score. It was a really feisty game, in the second half the Brighton centre half and Rochdale's centre forward had a stand up fight / come wrestling match and ended falling over the boundary wall and into the crowd.

Anybody else at that Bolton V  Rovers game were the ref got the time wrong and took everybody off about 15 minutes early ?  This was in spite of that big clock on the main stand at Burnden Park. We were all stood about wondering what was going on when after about five minutes or so the players came back out putting their kit on. Some had obviously jumped in the shower because their hair was soaking wet !  We were losing 2-1 at the time so I thought we might get a draw when we got started again but it stayed 2-1.

I was at that Notlob match. We were on our way back to the station when someone shouted 'They've come back on again' and we all ran back in. Still lost though.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Elvis Biro said:

I remember the incident, but not the details.

44 minutes ago, rigger said:

I remember the incident, but not the details.

I can't think of another example of were a player that had been sent off and actually left the pitch was brought back on again by the ref. The sending off could only have been for verbal abuse of the officials and that hadn't gone away had it ? Just because the disallowing of the goal was an error didn't mean the sending off was. It was total chaos for about ten minutes until it all got sorted out. I think we lost that game.

On 12/10/2020 at 08:43, Gav said:

I recently moved house, I’ve got plenty of  Rovers videos, they’ve been in the shed, probably knackered, late 80’s onwards.

I’ll dig them out, see what I’ve got. 

I had my Rovers video tapes converted to DVD. But since Venkys turned up I haven't had the heart to watch them.:(

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I find it really difficult to watch film of Rovers back in our recent heyday. It just reminds me of how far we've fallen.The Chicken Chokers have robbed me of that pleasure.

Exactly how I fail. Jack should have left a lasting legacy but its all been thrown away.

His own family complicit too. :o

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I find it really difficult to watch film of Rovers back in our recent heyday. It just reminds me of how far we've fallen.The Chicken Chokers have robbed me of that pleasure.

Me too..like wedding photos after the funeral!

For me, it is harder to watch the Souness/Hughes eras because we could and should have easily been at that level now.

In some ways, I can accept we couldn't be challenging for the title etc...

• Like 1

Before anybody accuse me of being a glory hunter I get loads of pleasure from the little snippets that Herbie posts. I still enjoy watching Rovers from that era. I suppose we're back in the same position now but we weren't £200 million in debt then. Even when we hadn't got a pot to pee in I never lost faith that we would be back in the big time. There was something about Rovers then that has been almost completely lost in my opinion.

Sorry about the font, my lap top fancied a change. Yesterday it came out with a new one, when I was editing a post it just started deleting the letter in front of the one I was correcting ! Try writing when that happens !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

That's exactly how I feel. Watching the mighty Rovers drop into Div 3 for the first time in their history in 1971 was gut-wrenching - but at least it was for purely football reasons: we were skint (so were the vast majority of other clubs), we'd made some rotten managerial choices, couldn't hang on to our better players. It was a bitter pill to swallow but fair dos - we couldn't blame anybody but ourselves. So we had to dig deep and remember that 'We've won the cup three times on the run, been champions of division one" as we used to sing when we  visited those 3rd tier shitholes for the first time.

At least then we were all in it together - club, fans, board, the whole town. That's the worst thing that these people have done - disconnected me from my club, our club. I don't think it can ever have been like this in the 135 years before they took over.

God damn their eyes.

• Like 8