• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A personal, potted history.... walking through centre turnstile on riverside to a packed Ewood for the first time. Awestruck at the scarves, rattles. marching band. seeing Ronnie Clayton lea

Rovers fans have a lot to be thankful to Bill Fox for. An often forgotten figure in our ascendancy but the man who laid the foundations. While the rest of our traditional rivals were applying for re-e

34 years ago today was one of my happiest days as a Rover, when we defeated then first division Charlton 1-0 at Wembley to win the Full member's Cup. Nice to see Colin Hendry posting on Facebook about

Posted Images

On 12/10/2020 at 08:43, Gav said:

I recently moved house, I’ve got plenty of  Rovers videos, they’ve been in the shed, probably knackered, late 80’s onwards.

I’ll dig them out, see what I’ve got. 

I had my Rovers video tapes converted to DVD. But since Venkys turned up I haven't had the heart to watch them.:(

12 hours ago, Elvis Biro said:

19th Century Fox, we used to call him.

Still have him back as opposed the current shower of shit, however.

But he was spot on when he forecast how it would be generally detrimental to football, when the Premier League was being proposed.

51 minutes ago, 47er said:

I had my Rovers video tapes converted to DVD. But since Venkys turned up I haven't had the heart to watch them.:(

I find it really difficult to watch film of Rovers back in our recent heyday. It just reminds me of how far we've fallen.The Chicken Chokers have robbed me of that pleasure.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I find it really difficult to watch film of Rovers back in our recent heyday. It just reminds me of how far we've fallen.The Chicken Chokers have robbed me of that pleasure.

Exactly how I fail. Jack should have left a lasting legacy but its all been thrown away.

His own family complicit too. :o

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Me too..like wedding photos after the funeral!

For me, it is harder to watch the Souness/Hughes eras because we could and should have easily been at that level now.

In some ways, I can accept we couldn't be challenging for the title etc...

Before anybody accuse me of being a glory hunter I get loads of pleasure from the little snippets that Herbie posts. I still enjoy watching Rovers from that era. I suppose we're back in the same position now but we weren't £200 million in debt then. Even when we hadn't got a pot to pee in I never lost faith that we would be back in the big time. There was something about Rovers then that has been almost completely lost in my opinion.

Sorry about the font, my lap top fancied a change. Yesterday it came out with a new one, when I was editing a post it just started deleting the letter in front of the one I was correcting ! Try writing when that happens !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

That's exactly how I feel. Watching the mighty Rovers drop into Div 3 for the first time in their history in 1971 was gut-wrenching - but at least it was for purely football reasons: we were skint (so were the vast majority of other clubs), we'd made some rotten managerial choices, couldn't hang on to our better players. It was a bitter pill to swallow but fair dos - we couldn't blame anybody but ourselves. So we had to dig deep and remember that 'We've won the cup three times on the run, been champions of division one" as we used to sing when we  visited those 3rd tier shitholes for the first time.

At least then we were all in it together - club, fans, board, the whole town. That's the worst thing that these people have done - disconnected me from my club, our club. I don't think it can ever have been like this in the 135 years before they took over.

God damn their eyes.

16 hours ago, Gav said:

I wish we had more footage of the promotion celebrations under Kendall at the start of the piece.

Must be available somewhere, Granada Tv footage with Elton Welsby.

Didn’t Rovers post some footage on their site when they did the Tony Parkes tribute last season ? ?

4 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Here we go....it was TP’s birthday...the kid in the bottom right hand corner taking photos at 25 seconds in is me...& here is one of the photos...?

67161730-3583-4DDF-A37D-4CB5F929F095.jpeg

I remember that game well, we lost 2-1 to Bury. Two things stick in my mind, their centre forward Steve Johnson ? got two really good goals. Also the pitch was really dusty and it was a very swirlingly windy day. As a consequence the referee had to keep stopping the game to get his hankie out to remove grit from the players eyes.

The game at Bury a day or two earlier was the real celebration.

The promotion celebration match under Gordon Lee was a 0-0 draw with Wrexham, not the greatest game I ever went to !

31 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Didn’t Rovers post some footage on their site when they did the Tony Parkes tribute last season ? ?

Fantastic Herbie, I was on the Riverside that day.

As Tyrone says the Bury game away was the clincher, 10,000 Rovers fans, never seen any footage of that sadly.

25 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember that game well, we lost 2-1 to Bury. Two things stick in my mind, their centre forward Steve Johnson ? got two really good goals. Also the pitch was really dusty and it was a very swirlingly windy day. As a consequence the referee had to keep stopping the game to get his hankie out to remove grit from the players eyes.

The game at Bury a day or two earlier was the real celebration.

The promotion celebration match under Gordon Lee was a 0-0 draw with Wrexham, not the greatest game I ever went to !

You and I must’ve gone to the same barber!

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sorry about the font, my lap top fancied a change. Yesterday it came out with a new one, when I was editing a post it just started deleting the letter in front of the one I was correcting ! Try writing when that happens !

Isn’t that a Two Ronnies sketch....? ?

2 hours ago, Elvis Biro said:

That's exactly how I feel. Watching the mighty Rovers drop into Div 3 for the first time in their history in 1971 was gut-wrenching - but at least it was for purely football reasons: we were skint (so were the vast majority of other clubs), we'd made some rotten managerial choices, couldn't hang on to our better players. It was a bitter pill to swallow but fair dos - we couldn't blame anybody but ourselves. So we had to dig deep and remember that 'We've won the cup three times on the run, been champions of division one" as we used to sing when we  visited those 3rd tier shitholes for the first time.

At least then we were all in it together - club, fans, board, the whole town. That's the worst thing that these people have done - disconnected me from my club, our club. I don't think it can ever have been like this in the 135 years before they took over.

God damn their eyes.

Now in three it doesn't bother me,

cus we are the Blackburn Rovers

21 minutes ago, Gav said:

That looks like Birdy 2 at the front of the queue in the 2nd picture. Next to the guy who is anticipating Covid 30 years ahead of everyone else.