BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

17 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Based on percentages, I think. I am sure early Graham Taylor and Basset at Wimbledon had a similar approach ...I think it came from a statistical approach by Charles Hughes, whoever he was

As a youngster I had a football coaching book which I think was by Charles Hughes. How to do the basics properly when trapping, tackling, shooting, heading etc.

The fundamental was how to get your body correctly positioned so your body weight (or foot or head etc) was to your benefit.

It stood me in good stead although the bit on sliding tackles from behind is perhaps no longer PC. LoL.

He was in his FA coaching position an early developer of 'long ball' but I cant recall that being a major feature in the book but I was learning the game in 2-3-5 times so it most probably was there and I could hit a long PASS to a player in my team.

The advice that stands out was to get the head over the ball when shooting from distance and correct foot contact. I scored loads from distance* and majority on target, our strikers should read that chapter.

* TBF I played at a level where if on target you really were in with a chance.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

As a youngster I had a football coaching book which I think was by Charles Hughes. How to do the basics properly when trapping, tackling, shooting, heading etc.

The fundamental was how to get your body correctly positioned so your body weight (or foot or head etc) was to your benefit.

It stood me in good stead although the bit on sliding tackles from behind is perhaps no longer PC. LoL.

He was in his FA coaching position an early developer of 'long ball' but I cant recall that being a major feature in the book but I was learning the game in 2-3-5 times so it most probably was there and I could hit a long PASS to a player in my team.

The advice that stands out was to get the head over the ball when shooting from distance and correct foot contact. I scored loads from distance* and majority on target, our strikers should read that chapter.

* TBF I played at a level where if on target you really were in with a chance.

I think I played against someone who had read that book ARA :-).  I am 6`3" and 17 stone. I went for an upright 50:50 challenge with this young lad who I thought would snap in half. It was like tackling a brick wall. I thought it was a one off but same again next time. All down to how you position your body/legs.

• Like 1

I'm sure Charles Hughes was behind the POMO concept. It was essentially to get the ball quickly in Positions of Maximum Opportunity. At that time quite a few managers bought into it. God knows what the likes of Guardiola and Klopp would make of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PerthBlues said:

I think I played against someone who had read that book ARA :-).  I am 6`3" and 17 stone. I went for an upright 50:50 challenge with this young lad who I thought would snap in half. It was like tackling a brick wall. I thought it was a one off but same again next time. All down to how you position your body/legs.

A pal of mine was playing inside forward for Stockport Boys when Nobby Stiles was playing for Manchester Boys. They played directly against each other on several occasions and my pal said Nobby was in that class as a tackler. They both joined United at the same time but my pal had a bad knee injury that caused him to have to give up the game. With today's surgery he may have been OK but back then it was a finisher.

42 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'm sure Charles Hughes was behind the POMO concept. It was essentially to get the ball quickly in Positions of Maximum Opportunity. At that time quite a few managers bought into it. God knows what the likes of Guardiola and Klopp would make of it.

Well if you can knock a 50+ yard PASS across the pitch or down the wing to a team mate you often, strangely enough, find your team in an advanced attacking position.

Even in the Guardiola tippy tappy era players like De Bruyne and our own Holtby stand put because they can do that, as can all the good players IF allowed to.

58 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I never had a bone break when playing football but saw plenty. I never was involved in one either,

Most caused by poor weight distribution when making or being tackled or trying to pull out of a tackle.

A couple of really horrible leg breakers by deliberate over the top and a few more simply by the foot being stuck in mud and body weight doing the rest, I recall one of the latter sounding like a rifle had been fired.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

4 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Well if you can knock a 50+ yard PASS across the pitch or down the wing to a team mate you often, strangely enough, find your team in an advanced attacking position.

Even in the Guardiola tippy tappy era players like De Bruyne and our own Holtby stand put because they can do that, as can all the good players IF allowed to.

I remember Harry Bassett (I think) saying if the top teams go long it's a pass but if Wimbledon did it was a long ball. Perception is huge in football and sometimes a reputation just sticks.

• Like 2

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I never had a bone break when playing football but saw plenty. I never was involved in one either,

Most caused by poor weight distribution when making or being tackled or trying to pull out of a tackle.

A couple of really horrible leg breakers by deliberate over the top and a few more simply by the foot being stuck in mud and body weight doing the rest, I recall one of the latter sounding like a rifle had been fired.

Similarly I've seen a few leg breaks and the noise is like you say, a rifle shot. The players however weren't screaming and shouting. I'm told it's an immediate shock that kicks in and masks the pain temporarily. I broke my femur in a car crash and I only realised when I could feel the bone protruding through my jeans.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

When I broke my leg it sounded just like someone had stamped on a dry branch. You could presumably hear it all around the ground. I remember watching a Rugby League game were the ball carrier was tackled around the legs and another player jumped on his back gripping his arms. The lad fell forward like a falling tree. One of the other players was running in to complete the tackle. By pure bad luck the forehead of the tackled player struck the shin of the lad running in. You could hear the crack 60 yards away over the noise of the crowd.

Just now, arbitro said:

Similarly I've seen a few leg breaks and the noise is like you say, a rifle shot. The players however weren't screaming and shouting. I'm told it's an immediate shock that kicks in and masks the pain temporarily. I broke my femur in a car crash and I only realised when I could feel the bone protruding through my jeans.

The first time I did mine I got up onto my feet. I couldn't really walk or put real weight on my leg and the bottom half of my leg was just numb This was a midweek match. It shows how daft I was, when the trainer came on to have a look the first thing I said was " Do you think I'll be OK for Saturday ? "

• Like 1

20 hours ago, den said:

Beck was loved by north Enders Speeeeeeedie. 
The days of “the gentry” down at Deepdale.

I remember them well. 

A good mate of mine was a PNE fan, I used to go and watch them now and again. 

As I said the football wasn't anything to write home about but the fans were able to entertain themselves. They were quite imaginative.