BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

My first thought at the mention of El Greco was, Big round windows.

9177825.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

Not El Greco but the top of the ramp, 60's modern.

ecbfaa9a74fc1fc417576279f88550f1.jpg

Edited by Gav
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, renrag said:

Remember that well. It was the day Derek Leaver (of the Ewood pie shop) and Chris Anderson made their Debuts. Watching Anderson that day, could well have been a trailer for what we were going to see consistently from Bryan Douglas a few years later. However his lifestyle let him down and I believe he ended up playing for Lion brewery. He turned the City left back (Eric Westwood?) inside out and won 3 penalties. Two were missed by Les Graham and we thought Bill Eckersley had missed the 3rd when it hit the wall at the Darwen end, but it had broken the net.

Years later I met Les Graham, when he was managing Newport County and they couldn’t buy a goal at the time.
The conversation went:-                    
LG Where are you from                         
me Near Blackburn             
LG Oh I used to play for them          
me I know, I remember Bert Trautman saving two penalties             
LG Bloody hell don’t tell this lot, they’ll never let it drop after the bollockings I’ve been giving them

The ball would have weighed a ton by then. He did well to get it as far as Trautmann !

I'd just started playing men's football at about 16 and ten stone wet through. I remember playing on the right wing on a really waterlogged pitch, the ball was getting heavier and heavier by the minute. With about five minutes to go the ball came right across from the left skidding along the ground. I'd come inside and the ball was about 10  yards out giving me a good half of the goals to aim at. I gave it everything I'd got and it was like kicking a cannonball.  The goalie got a hand to it but the weight of the ball knocked his hand right back and the ball trickled in over the line. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

how the **** did anyone head a football in those days without getting knocked out,even if you did head it correctly it must have killed a few hundred brain cells,i used to absolutely detest heading a ball,even with modern football`s it hurt

I remember having to head back a long kick from out of the opposing keepers hands one day when we'd been playing in the snow. It came down like a mortar shell. Without a word of a lie I saw stars !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

7 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i remember when you used to be able to walk through the precinct during the night,remember some idiot left a load of trolleys outside a shop once ,it was a mana from heaven for  groups of drunken lads,everyone was having trolley races down the ramp☺️

On the way to the Clarence

3 hours ago, rigger said:

On the way to the Clarence

clarence was well before my time,we used to cut through the precinct to get to toffs/tbar before heading to the flesh pit that was mr g`s☺️.blackburn used to be absolutely kicking on a weekend in the early 90`s to the middle 2000`s,every pub was busy,never much trouble either

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 12:38, oldjamfan1 said:

That’s pretty much how I always remember Blackburn town centre Gav

Great slide down there when wet! Didn't care much for El Greco myself, used to hide round the corner downstairs at Kenyon's Buttery, nursing a potato pie, peas and gravy.

On 05/12/2020 at 10:37, AllRoverAsia said:

I recently downloaded The Bert Trautman Story and watched it, for the first time, this afternoon.

It had match action of Rovers v City at Ewood on 15th November 1950. We won 4-1 and Trautman saved 2 penalties.

Great shots of a packed Ewood, a Division 2 game with a crowd of 37,594

I also found this game on YouTube ..... note the commentators description of our shirt..... just sayin LoL

"Viewers of that also liked this" type thing...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Keeper_(2018_film)

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 14:42, simongarnerisgod said:

how the **** did anyone head a football in those days without getting knocked out,even if you did head it correctly it must have killed a few hundred brain cells,i used to absolutely detest heading a ball,even with modern football`s it hurt

I remember seeing Bobby Langton hit a thunderbolt of a shot which John Charles, the Leeds Utd centre half, stopped with his head. The ball landed on the Darwen End roof. Charles didn't bat an eyelid.

• Like 1

Anecdotal tale but a relative of the great Alex James told me that in the 1930s Arsenal used to soak the match ball in a bucket of water before the match.

From the kick off they would tap the ball back to the Arsenal centre half who would then hoof it in the air downfield towards the head of the opposing centre half with the aim of knocking him out!

• Like 1

On 05/12/2020 at 10:37, AllRoverAsia said:

I recently downloaded The Bert Trautman Story and watched it, for the first time, this afternoon.

It had match action of Rovers v City at Ewood on 15th November 1950. We won 4-1 and Trautman saved 2 penalties.

I also found this game on YouTube ..... note the commentators description of our shirt..... just sayin LoL

Thanks for that. I was 7 and a half years old at the time. I cannot remember whether or not my dad took me to that particular game. He may have done. We used to sit in Stand B of Nuttall Street stand. But those players were the first ones I remember. Patterson in goal, Les Graham, Jackie Wharton, Eddie Crossan and that blond-haired Anderson on the right wing. Didn't they play well against City. They usually struggled; very inconsistent.

Glad to hear the commentator call our colours correctly. They had to be meticulously spot on in those days.

• Like 2

I remember Langton smacking one in during the warm-up at the Darwen End. It hit a 6 or 7 year old kid flush in the face!

Kids were sitting on little benches against the wall in those days.

The kid was carried off by an ambulance man and he was definitely striking!

On 05/12/2020 at 21:37, AllRoverAsia said:

I was at that game! Aged 3! Have no memory of it whatsoever but my Dad told me about it-----several times!

• Like 2

Always used to try and get over the wall at the Riverside and sit on one of those little benches. The game was so different to watch at pitch level - absolutely loved it.

Highlights were throwing the ball to Sir Keith Newton for a throw-in and being right behind Andy McEvoy's as he struck a right footed screamer into the bottom corner for the winner v Charlton in about 1967

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

I remember Langton smacking one in during the warm-up at the Darwen End. It hit a 6 or 7 year old kid flush in the face!

Kids were sitting on little benches against the wall in those days.

The kid was carried off by an ambulance man and he was definitely skriking!