BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

On 05/12/2020 at 21:42, simongarnerisgod said:

how the **** did anyone head a football in those days without getting knocked out,even if you did head it correctly it must have killed a few hundred brain cells,i used to absolutely detest heading a ball,even with modern football`s it hurt

I remember my first year at Grammar School heading a sodden wet leather football in mid winter and how stunned I was.

I do however recall, again in midwinter, whilst avoiding a header the ball hitting my 'tackle' on the way down. Again a stunner. Pain flashback!

I avoided heading such balls as much as possible until the lighter weight water resistant Mitre ball came along.

Even then as a striker most headers were glances as I played as a second striker off a big lad.

Its called Football for a reason.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I used to head those old 'casies' all the time. Never did me any harm.

😵😵😵

What, lace up, lace down or both?

How do you edit a post in this new format ?  Why does every " improvement " actually take us  backwards on the site ?

I was going to edit my post above to say - " There was no diving back then, If somebody hurt you in a tackle you did your best not to show it. Divers make me sick, irrespective of who they play for. What they don't realise is they're killing the game for lots of people who came up in a diver free era. "

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bazza said:

No pussyfooting around with tackles either. Not a red or yellow card in sight. That's how the game should be played.

Speaking of, did Newell break his leg in that tackle? I was at the game but have no memory of it at all.

I do remember the FA Cup game the year after. They were top of the Championship or whatever division 2 was called back then and thought that they'd beat us. Cue a Roy Wegerle goal and a lot of mad Geordies. They charged down Nuttall St. after the game. 

The Darwen End was being done up too. It had no roof but still had the metal beams. One of their fans climbed up to the top of one.