BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

11 hours ago, den said:

Mike England scoring in a game many of us older fans talk about on here. Scoring against Spurs in that 7-2 win.

Looks like Dave Mackay in that photo to me. 

4771724A-A561-4349-A51D-07995E91AE7C.jpeg

From L to R Ron Henry, Mike England, Bill Brown ( goalkeeper ), unknown behind Bill Brown, could be Maurice Norman, Bobby Smith, Fred Pickering, Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay ( with the barrel chest ) Peter Baker.

Not many players in the area for a corner, only two Rovers,  and both full backs on the posts as was the way back then. Not that it did Spurs much good ! Nowadays it would just be a mass of players all trying to hold on to each other !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

16 minutes ago, den said:

I’ll just add, that this was at a time before Ramsey’s wingless wonders and before the game began to become very tactics based. Virtually every team played the same “WM” formation. Players were bought for their technical ability alone. Players were bought for that reason and were allowed to go on the park and do what they were good at. 

I think we'd evolved into a pretty loose 4-2-4 formation by then. One of the wing halves ( Mick McGrath usually ) playing a lot nearer to the centre half and the full backs who were out wide. Then one inside forward  ( Andy McEvoy ) playing  up front with the centre forward most of the time and the other inside forward ( Bryan Douglas ) dropping back into midfield to team up with the other wing half ( Ronnie Clayton ). Lots of teams were trying this way of playing in the light of Brazil's success with it in 1958 and 1962.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

From L to R Ron Henry, Mike England, Bill Brown ( goalkeeper ), unknown behind Bill Brown, could be Maurice Norman, Bobby Smith, Fred Pickering, Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay ( with the barrel chest ) Peter Baker.

Not many players in the area for a corner and both full backs on the posts as was the way back then. Not that it did Spurs much good !

I had decided on Maurice Norman too. Frank Saul distant centre? John White distant right or Dyson, Greaves would never be that near his sides goal

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I had decided on Maurice Norman too. Frank Saul distant centre? John White distant right or Dyson, Greaves would never be that near his sides goal

The images are too distant for me to see.

The Spurs team that day was -

Bill Brown.

Peter Baker, Ron Henry.

Danny Blanchflower, Maurice Norman, Dave Mackay.

Frank Saul, John White, Bobby Smith, Jimmy Greaves, Terry Dyson.

Only Cliff Jones missing out of the all conquering Spurs team, that's why Frank Saul was playing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hi Jim, just for accuracy - 

Rovers beat Arsenal 3-0, McEvoy 2, Byrom 1. We'd beaten them 2-1 in the League at Ewood the Saturday before.

I said my memory was hazy! Byrom definitely scored while he was limping though!

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The images are too distant for me to see.

The Spurs team that day was -

Bill Brown.

Peter Baker, Ron Henry.

Danny Blanchflower, Maurice Norman, Dave Mackay.

Frank Saul, John White, Bobby Smith, Jimmy Greaves, Terry Dyson.

Only Cliff Jones missing out of the all conquering Spurs team, that's why Frank Saul was playing.

That’s what made it special. That wasn’t some average side, it was a great side, although probably just past it’s brilliant best.

Boxing day we beat West Ham 8-2 away from home and if you have that West Ham line up I would be very interested TS. I’m sure that was a very talented side as well. Moore, Hurst, Sissons?

1 minute ago, den said:

That’s what made it special. That wasn’t some average side, it was a great side, although probably just past it’s brilliant best.

Boxing day we beat West Ham 8-2 away from home and if you have that West Ham line up I would be very interested TS. I’m sure that was a very talented side as well. Moore, Hurst, Sissons?

John Bond, Martin Peters?, Standen in goal?, Lampard?, Brian Dear, Billy Bonds, Redknapp, Brabrook, a few names that come to mind though might be too early for some of them. 

And we all know the score in the reverse fixture a few days later

57 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

John Bond, Martin Peters?, Standen in goal?, Lampard?, Brian Dear, Billy Bonds, Redknapp, Brabrook, a few names that come to mind though might be too early for some of them. 

And we all know the score in the reverse fixture a few days later

Jim Standen 

John Bond Peter Burkett

Martin Peters  Ken Brown Bobby Moore

Peter Brabrook Ronnie Boyce Johnny Byrne Geoff Hurst John Sissons

They made one change for the game at Ewood, dropping Martin Peters for Eddie Bovington who was an Aaron Moekona type. He followed Bryan Douglas everywhere and nulified our attacking play. The rest of the team played like drains as well, We'd got back into the game on the hour when we were 2-0 down to make it 2-1, We had a good ten minutes after that and we had the Hammers on the run for the first time in the game.

Then they scored a sloppy third goal and that was that.

I'd gone in the main stand for the first time with a City supporting pal and his older brother.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Jim Standen 

John Bond Peter Burkett

Martin Peters  Ken Brown Bobby Moore

Peter Brabrook Ronnie Boyce Johnny Byrne Geoff Hurst John Sissons

They made one change for the game at Ewood, dropping Martin Peters for Eddie Bovington who was an Aaron Moekona type. He followed Bryan Douglas everywhere and nulified our attacking play. The rest of the team played like drains as well, We'd got back into the game on the hour when we were 2-0 down to make it 2-1, We had a good ten minutes after that and we had the Hammers on the run for the first time in the game.

Then they scored a sloppy third goal and that was that.

I'd gone in the main stand for the first time with a City supporting pal and his older brother.

Typical Rovers after a great result in the previous game. I bet there was a good crowd too. I didn't see it fortunately but can remember the incredulity among teachers at school

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

I was just sat having a brew and sausage sandwich and my wife informed me that tomorrow is the third anniversary of her dad passing away aged 92. He was a 'hybrid' football supporter, following both Rovers and The Dingles when they were at home on alternate weeks from just before the outbreak of WW2 to his last full season in 1975. He claims he was probably the only person inside Turf Moor in 1960 to cheer all six goals as Rovers clawed back a 3 goal deficit in the last 15 minutes to earn a replay at Ewood which we won of course. He went to odd games afterwards with us, most notably at Goodison Park in 1995 sat in The Gladys Street End amongst the scousers (what a fun day that was when my eldest lad took his coat off to reveal a Rovers shirt underneath!) and at Old Trafford when we beat the red rats (I think Pederson scored the winner?).

On his 90th birthday in 2015 I managed to arrange a day at Brockhall for us both, which we spent with the First Team squad. Rovers were absolutely brilliant that day and made such a fuss of him. He was a Royal Marine Commando in WW2 and drove a landing craft onto Sword Beach on D-Day, he never ever spoke of his experiences until that day at Rovers. All the players, coaching staff and Gary Bowyer crowded round him for up to an hour whilst he told his captivating story. He and I couldn't thank everybody connected with BRFC enough, it really was a brill. day.

Here's a trio of snaps of Ken (RIP) that I took of him on the day; one proudly stood on the touchline ball in hand, one sat in the gaffers chair and finally a couple of a Marine.

Anyway, I've just been reminded that I've got 'pots to wash' so toodle pip.

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

FatherKen.jpg

Before Covid I was visiting an ex workmate who had been in the Marines in WW2. He just passed 100 this autumn. He was a Bren gunner and he ended up in the English Channel when his landing craft was sunk at Dieppe. He got picked up by a passing destroyer after about an hour of staying afloat. When he got back to the UK they wanted to take the cost of the missing Bren gun out of his pay !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Typical Rovers after a great result in the previous game. I bet there was a good crowd too. I didn't see it fortunately but can remember the incredulity among teachers at school

Attendance 28,990. I was a paper lad then and on the morning of the game I remember a cartoon on the back of the " Express " or " Mail " showing a bloke selling cricket style scorecards outside Ewood Park !

2 minutes ago, renrag said:

Another aggregate gate which you won’t find in the record books. 1959 Rovers v Burnley in the FA Cup, at 0-0 the match was abandoned at half time with a 53,000 sell out. It was rearranged for the following Wednesday with a gate of around 44,000. The dingles won 2-1 after Dobing scored first. And we had to pay full price for both games

That sort of thing happened a lot. I remember going to a Rochdale V Tranmere top of the table game around Christmas time. It was really foggy, you couldn't see much further that half way to the half way line when they kicked off, They gave it about 20 minutes then called it off. Tranmere had scored down the other end allegedly. No refunds of course.

6 hours ago, 47er said:

I was there too. At the end of the game Danny Blanchflower lined his players up in a guard of honour and clapped us off.

It didn't happen at Crystal Palace yesterday!

In those days footballers and the fans were very appreciative of a good game. Around 1961 or 62 Spurs came to Ewood and beat us 4-1. There was a large crowd, all Rovers fans (well 95%), who stayed to the end and applauded both teams off the field; what was known as a standing ovation.

The only other time I saw this happen was after a 0-0 draw with West Bromwich Albion; a cracking match.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

“The manager signed him & picked him...he’s accountable for this...” etc & so on...

I was stood right behind that shot, it still hurts now....

Bull and Mutch for Wolves were a great partnership, scored bags or goals, but neither made it in the top flight, but Bull played for England as a second division player, not many have done that over the years. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gav said:

I was stood right behind that shot, it still hurts now....

Bull and Mutch for Wolves were a great partnership, scored bags or goals, but neither made it to the top flight, but Bull played for England as a second division player, not many have done that over the years. 

From memory Bull stuck with Wolves even though he was picked for England and in the 2nd division.

You don't see that now either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Keith Hill eh, the first overlapping centre half. 

What do you think our current team would play like on a pitch like that ?

Matt Dickens ! He went on loan to Rochdale and is still reckoned to be the keeper in their worst ever loans team.

We’d have been better off with Charles Dickens...big things expected of him...

• Like 6