BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Clayton's left boot's got me going now, I've just took the top off a bottle of Desperado's and wet mi whistle!

How's about:

"We've won The Cup 3 Times on the run,

Champions of Division 1,

(da de da de da ???)...(I forget the middle bit)..

WE ARE THE BLACKBURN ROVERS!!"

But I'd draw the line with this ditty:

"Never give in, go out to win, forever will be our aim, Our name is ranked amongst the all time greats, never say die, we know the time will come to celebrate. For WE ARE The Rovers, we're proud of our colours, ever and ever and on to victory, for THE Rovers they'll be roaring, for THE Rovers we'll be scoring, whatever may come, by gum we'll make it a day!"

Never give in go out to win, forever will be our aim, and here's a song to help us along the way. Blackburn Rovers good old blue and white, for our namesakes to play is our delight. Whoever playing, we'll never be failing, in giving our best to test the rest at home or away . Our name is ranked etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

And then the song went na na na na ad nauseam during which we all bounced about like nutters 😁😁😁.

From that era John I don't remember too many individual songs for players - do you?

On the left wing we've got Tony Field. 

On the right wing Johnny Price.

For a king we've got Ken Furphy.

Now ain't that F@@king nice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

Never give in go out to win, forever will be our aim, and here's a song to help us along the way. Blackburn Rovers good old blue and white, for our namesakes to play is our delight. Whoever playing, we'll never be failing, in giving our best to test the rest at home or away . Our name is ranked etc.

.....among the all time greats, never say die we know the time will come to celebrate, for we are THE Rovers, We're proud of our colours, ever and ever and on to victory, Come on The Rovers ddddssssh (cymbal noise!)....

A and B sides rigger, we've missed our way in life pal!🤣🤣

Edited by darrenrover

3 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

.....among the all time greats, never say die we know the time will come to celebrate, for we are THE Rovers, We're proud of our colours, ever and ever and on to victory, Come on The Rovers ddddssssh (cymbal noise!)....

A and B sides rigger, we've missed our way in life pal!🤣🤣

Ever and ever and on to victory. For the Rovers we'll be scoring. For the Rovers they'll be roaring .We'll never give in bye gum, we'll make it our day. Come on the Rovers 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

Ever and ever and on to victory. For the Rovers we'll be scoring. For the Rovers they'll be roaring .We'll never give in bye gum, we'll make it our day. Come on the Rovers 

2-1 to you!

I'm a sore loser though! 😉👊🤝

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

And then the song went na na na na ad nauseam during which we all bounced about like nutters 😁😁😁.

From that era John I don't remember too many individual songs for players - do you?

Funny you should say that Tony, I was just trying to remember if we had one for Tony Field, and nothing came to mind. We did have “Sirrrr Roger Jones, Sirrrr Roger Jones, Rogerrrr” repeat a key lower.

I think most of the songs back then were tribal taunts to opposing fans, either singing our praises, denigrating theirs, “He shot, he missed, he must be fking pissed, (insert rival striker’s name), or threatening imminent violence!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Funny you should say that Tony, I was just trying to remember if we had one for Tony Field, and nothing came to mind. We did have “Sirrrr Roger Jones, Sirrrr Roger Jones, Rogerrrr” repeat a key lower.

I think most of the songs back then were tribal taunts to opposing fans, either singing our praises, denigrating theirs, “He shot, he missed, he must be fking pissed, (insert rival striker’s name), or threatening imminent violence!

who can forget the inimitable "you`re gonna get you`re ****** head kicked in" or the gentle ditty "you`re going home in an east lancs ambulance"i miss the days when you could remind the opposing player that his wife was rumoured to be  a bit of lady of easy virtue,remember the blackburn end giving the west ham striker tony morley loads of abuse after  his wife stabbed him in the backside over some alleged affair🤭

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

But we had one for Steve Kindon, John.....’Kindon’s wife is on the game again!’ Think there was another about him but can’t remember it. 😆

• Like 3

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

who can forget the inimitable "you`re gonna get you`re ****** head kicked in" or the gentle ditty "you`re going home in an east lancs ambulance"i miss the days when you could remind the opposing player that his wife was rumoured to be  a bit of lady of easy virtue,remember the blackburn end giving the west ham striker tony morley loads of abuse after  his wife stabbed him in the backside over some alleged affair🤭

and Stevie Kindon!

14 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

This made me laugh. I remember telling my sons about these sorts of chants a few years ago and one of them obviously decided to do some research and found a clip of an early 70s goal, scored by Tommy Hutchison for Coventry at Highbury (I think). When the ball hit the back of the net there was probably two seconds of absolute silence from the North Bank, followed immediately by 15,000 gooners singing "You're gonna get your fucking heads kicked in!". 

Was it Shilton that used to get "Does your wife know where you are?"

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

This made me laugh. I remember telling my sons about these sorts of chants a few years ago and one of them obviously decided to do some research and found a clip of an early 70s goal, scored by Tommy Hutchison for Coventry at Highbury (I think). When the ball hit the back of the net there was probably two seconds of absolute silence from the North Bank, followed immediately by 15,000 gooners singing "You're gonna get your fucking heads kicked in!". 

Was it Shilton that used to get "Does your wife know where you are?"

Tommy Hutch - he was a real handful . Blackpool got him from the Scottish lower leagues for peanuts.  I remember Eamon Rogers playing against him as an emergency right back and more than holding his own. That tells you what a versatile player Eamon was.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Tommy Hutch - he was a real handful . Blackpool got him from the Scottish lower leagues for peanuts.  I remember Eamon Rogers playing against him as an emergency right back and more than holding his own. That tells you what a versatile player Eamon was.

His name is Eamon Rogers,

He is the king of our land,

His hair hangs over his shoulders,

Tied up with a blue and white band.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Don't know if you recall Tyrone but around the same time 1968/1969 Tommy Hutchinson gave Keith Newton the runaround. I went to both matches, one of which was the infamous "ammonia" incident.

The programme on the left was 7th October 1968, the one on the right 18th August 1969.

Always felt that with the 1969 team we were just a couple of players short of mounting a promotion challenge.

2112476545_blackpoolvrovers.thumb.jpg.0b6560b25ff3715f0a7fe4a061ee473c.jpg

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

That 1969 team is the first one I can recite in my sleep. Hill, Mulvaney and Blacklaw were the weak links IMO.

Just beat me to it John. I would have probably said Don Martin as well. Not knocking him because, overall, he was quite good for us but just not prolific enough. Can’t remember too much about Adam Blacklaw to be honest but in August 1969 he was only 31 years old and should have been only just past his peak. Perhaps with the culture at that time, booze, smoking and no proper understanding of nutrition etc., they peaked a few years earlier than they do now, hence Burnley releasing him when they did. But, yes, replace those three or four with quality and we would have probably gone back up.

Edited by Claytons Left Boot
Wording

29 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Just beat me to it John. I would have probably said Don Martin as well. Not knocking him because, overall, he was quite good for us but just not prolific enough. Can’t remember too much about Adam Blacklaw to be honest but in August 1969 he was only 31 years old and should have been only just past his peak. Perhaps with the culture at that time, booze, smoking and no proper understanding of nutrition etc., they peaked a few years earlier than they do now, hence Burnley releasing him when they did. But, yes, replace those three or four with quality and we would have probably gone back up.

On reflection Mark, I agree with you on the Don. He was good for 10-15 goals but after that we struggled for another prolific scorer. Blacklaw was very hefty, not bad, but Sir Roger coming a year earlier would’ve made a difference.

Newton, Hunter, Wilson, Knighton, Meccy and Eamon were all top notch.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

Don't know if you recall Tyrone but around the same time 1968/1969 Tommy Hutchinson gave Keith Newton the runaround. I went to both matches, one of which was the infamous "ammonia" incident.

The programme on the left was 7th October 1968, the one on the right 18th August 1969.

Always felt that with the 1969 team we were just a couple of players short of mounting a promotion challenge.

2112476545_blackpoolvrovers.thumb.jpg.0b6560b25ff3715f0a7fe4a061ee473c.jpg

Yes Brian Hill was a lightweight, I never really saw him have a good game. Don Hutchins was another left winger who left you longing for the likes of Mike Harrison.  I liked Don Martin but I always thought he would have been better playing off a centre forward rather than leading the line himself. Adam Blacklaw was on the way down in more ways than one. Having said that, Newton and Wilson were the best full back pairing in that league and better than some in the First Division.

Alan Hunter was the best centre half in the Division and I'd give a lot to have Ken Knighton and Eamon Rogers in our midfield now. Meccy was on the way up and John Connelly still had goals in his game although his blistering pace had gone. Our coaching was old hat, somebody like Malcolm Allison would have sorted the job out.

Looking at Blackpool, Green and Hutchison were great players as was Alan Suddick, a real class act in midfield.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

is this the same tommy hutchison who scored at both ends in the 81 cup final??,love to ask him why he moved for hoddles free kick,it was going miles wide

Yes, he was a really good winger in his day, fast and tricky. He had a trick were he'd deliberately over run the ball then bring it through with his trailing leg. I've never seen anybody else do it. The defender would hesitate thinking Tommy had lost the ball, he'd be past them before they realised he hadn't. Even watching from the stands he did me every time !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

On 31/01/2021 at 19:51, Exiled in Toronto said:

To the tune of Son of the Father..

Oh, Tony, Tony,

Tony, Tony, Tony Tony, Tony Field

Kit Napier- Bastardising the Stretford End's song for Bryan Kidd ...K-IT-O ..KITO

• Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 20:16, simongarnerisgod said:

I think that was before the reorganisation of the NHS - I always heard it as F******g ambulance though I prefer your version - just needs a mission statement after along the lines of 'patient professional and caring ' or some such twaddle

• Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 21:46, Claytons Left Boot said:

But we had one for Steve Kindon, John.....’Kindon’s wife is on the game again!’ Think there was another about him but can’t remember it. 😆

Wasnt that Stevie Kindon walks on water tra la lala lah the b*****d sank ?