BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Yes, think you're right there. Is NW the blond in the bottom photo?

I think so, but not sure. I'd like it to be because one of the Rovers -mad mates I used to go to Ewood with was Neil Wilkinson's cousin and I have very fond memories of him shouting 'Come on our Neil!' every time he got near the ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elvis Biro said:

I think so, but not sure. I'd like it to be because one of the Rovers -mad mates I used to go to Ewood with was Neil Wilkinson's cousin and I have very fond memories of him shouting 'Come on our Neil!' every time he got near the ball.

It’s Jeff Whalley

CF832B05-3227-403E-9BF7-D2B69B2B5715.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bazza said:

It was one or the other. I really don't know. Was the Mecca on St Peter Street between Mincing Lane and Darwen Street? If so this pub was on Darwen St.

I think the Wheatsheaf was Ken Pilling's pub on Mincing Lane. I'm pretty sure the one you are thinking of was the George (at the bottom of Mincing Lane, where it joined Darwen Street). I looked it up in a 1951 Street directory of Blackburn and surrounding area which I inherited from an uncle of mine. Great book, has every address and lists occupant and their occupation. Anyone want to know who lived in their house in 1951, just give me a dm. Please form an orderly queue, however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

If you look to Keith's left shoulder it looks like an opponent in a yellowish kit.

We played Watford away on the 27th of Sept 1969, shortly before Keith left for Everton.

Team that day -

Blacklaw. 

Newton, Coddington, Mulvaney, Wilson.

Metcalfe, Rogers, Knighton, Hill.

Connelly, Martin.

Connelly got both goals in a 2-0 win

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

You’re right Herbie, someone has replied saying it’s Palace and that’s the Arthur Wait Stand just starting to be built in the background, November 1968.

If anyone is on Facebook, the Football Stadia and Grounds site is superb. Brings back loads of great memories.

16th Nov 1968. lost 1-0.

Blacklaw

Newton, Coddington, Sharples, Wilson.

Metcalfe, Martin, Rogers, Connelly.

Fryatt, Darling.

sub for Darling - Calloway. 

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

16th Nov 1968. lost 1-0.

Blacklaw

Newton, Coddington, Sharples, Wilson.

Metcalfe, Martin, Rogers, Connelly.

Fryatt, Darling.

sub for Darling - Calloway. 

Difference between that team and the one from 3 - 4 years earlier that was top of the old First Division for a time!

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We play Hull away in 1966-67, 67-68 and 68-69 whilst Keith was at Ewood.

I remember going to Boothferry Park in 68/9 with my Dad and Grandad, courtesy of Keith Newton. It was the first time I remember standing in an 'enclosure' at the side of the pitch, rather than behind the goals. I was 7 years old at the time.

The other distinct memory I have of being stood in a similar place on the terraces, was at the Baseball Ground for an FA Cup Tie, when Derby County were in their pomp. Charlie George scored for them, I think we lost 0-3. It was the first time I was worried about being a Rovers fan away and can recall the small alleyways, between Rolls Royce factories, leading to the ground). How many Rovers fans were there that day? 6,000 to 8,000+, I'd guess.

Keith Newton lived on Knowsley Road West in Wilpshire at the time. He and Ronnie Clayton were good mates with my Dad (Clayton's Left Boots' parents were also in the same circle of friends). I'm ashamed to admit now that once he became a Dingle, he also gave us tickets for the FA Cup Semi-Final at Hillsborough, Newcastle v The 'Shower of Shite'. Fortunately 'Super Mac' spared my blushes and bagged a brace to reach the final.

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

The other distinct memory I have of being stood in a similar place on the terraces, was at the Baseball Ground for an FA Cup Tie, when Derby County were in their pomp. Charlie George scored for them, I think we lost 0-3. It was the first time I was worried about being a Rovers fan away and can recall the small alleyways, between Rolls Royce factories, leading to the ground). How many Rovers fans were there that day? 6,000 to 8,000+, I'd guess.

Keith Newton lived on Knowsley Road West in Wilpshire at the time. He and Ronnie Clayton were good mates with my Dad (Clayton's Left Boots' parents were also in the same circle of friends)

I went to the Derby cup tie as well, think we lost 3-1 and they had won the league the previous year if I remember correctly. There were 40 Rovers coaches on our coach park near the ground and I was told there were another 40 somewhere else. We took a huge following and were given the whole of the side under that concrete stand (where the Derby singers usually stood). It seemed pitch black under there and the roof was so low you could almost touch the steelwork above.

I don’t remember Keith Newton as being part of that circle of friends, Nick. Only Ronnie but memories fade over time! I do remember going camping, en masse, in the Lake District, would have been 1966. We all climbed Red Pike, near Kirkstone Pass and, unsurprisingly, Ronnie was first to the top.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I went to the Derby cup tie as well, think we lost 3-1 and they had won the league the previous year if I remember correctly. There were 40 Rovers coaches on our coach park near the ground and I was told there were another 40 somewhere else. We took a huge following and were given the whole of the side under that concrete stand (where the Derby singers usually stood). It seemed pitch black under there and the roof was so low you could almost touch the steelwork above.

I don’t remember Keith Newton as being part of that circle of friends, Nick. Only Ronnie but memories fade over time! I do remember going camping, en masse, in the Lake District, would have been 1966. We all climbed Red Pike, near Kirkstone Pass and, unsurprisingly, Ronnie was first to the top.

Got to know Keith through the parents of a lad I was at school with, who lived across the road from him. He's now probably the best dentist in Clitheroe at the end of Waddington Road. Both the dad of the lad and Ronnie, were both newsagents, hence I think the initial connection.

I pass by your Mum and Dads grave most mornings Mark, when I'm taking the dog for a walk. I always say 'Hi' and remember your dad as being a real card, made everyone laugh and a fantastic jazz pianist to boot.

They can't take away our memories can they? I'm loving this thread,,,,,

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

5th Rnd, Feb 26th 1977

Rovers team-

Bradshaw

Fazackerly, Keeley, Hawkins, Wood.

Hird, Metcalfe, Waddington, Parkes.

Byrom, Mitchell.

Sub - Taylor. Goal - Colin Todd og

What a strange team - full of centre halves - looks like we went for a draw.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

5th Rnd, Feb 26th 1977

Rovers team-

Bradshaw

Fazackerly, Keeley, Hawkins, Wood.

Hird, Metcalfe, Waddington, Parkes.

Byrom, Mitchell.

Sub - Taylor. Goal - Colin Todd og

What a strange team - full of centre halves - looks like we went for a draw.

It's later than I thought initially Tyrone, I though 73/74ish. Daft really because I knew Jim Smith was manager at the time, I should have known better!

You're right about centre halves though, there's potentially 5 there!

Poor front 2 also, Bobby Mitchell and an ageing John Byrom would hardly have put the fear of god into the League Champions!

Edited by darrenrover

12 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

It's later than I thought initially Tyrone, I though 73/74ish. Daft really because I knew Jim Smith was manager at the time, I should have known better!

Poor front 2 also, Bobby Mitchell and an ageing John Byrom would hardly of put the fear of god into the League Champions!

I take my hat off to anyone who went to watch that team.

Never mind 5 at the back that looks like 6 at the back

Hird, Fazackerly, Keeley, Hawkins, Waddington, Wood.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

42 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Poor front 2 also, Bobby Mitchell and an ageing John Byrom would hardly have put the fear of god into the League Champions!

I remember my dad telling me he took a big bottle of champagne to one game at the baseball ground, thousands of Rovers fans went. We lost, the champagne never got drunk, I'm certainly not an old chip off the block because I'd have demolished it before we got past Crewe!

1977 FA Cup seems a bit late to be sneaking bottles of champagne into the ground, but it looks like the only option.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

I pass by your Mum and Dads grave most mornings Mark, when I'm taking the dog for a walk. I always say 'Hi' and remember your dad as being a real card, made everyone laugh and a fantastic jazz pianist to boot.

Thanks for that Nick! I’m surprised we never went to any games together in the mid to late 60s. Not sure if you remember Alan Bates and his family. Mad keen Rovers fans, Alan worked with my dad before he moved to the Leeds area through work. My dad was never keen on football and it was Alan who took me to my first away match, a win at Bury in 1967. I also got taken to Everton for the 3rd round FA Cup tie when we lost 2-0, in 1972. That was with Bill Cocker (RIP) and his two lads, Simon and Tim? 

Like you say, Nick, they can’t take away our memories. Mostly painful during the first 26-27 years I followed the lads but every now and again you had a great day out, usually away in the cup!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I remember my dad telling me he took a big bottle of champagne to one game at the baseball ground, thousands of Rovers fans went. We lost, the champagne never got drunk, I'm certainly not an old chip off the block because I'd have demolished it before we got past Crewe!

1977 FA Cup seems a bit late to be sneaking bottles of champagne into the ground, but it looks like the only option.

Bloody Hell Gav, you've surprised me there: I always thought you were a similar age to me for some reason! 😉🤣

I went to that game , I think Bailey , Wagstaffe and someone else got injured in a bad tempered match at Blackpool the week before...