Jump to content

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I remember that goal from the time, didn’t he beat half the team just like he did for us against someone (Barnsley?)

I was surprised years ago in an LT Tony Parkes Remembers feature he said the rest of the dressing room couldn’t stand Field, too greedy. I wonder if Armstrong is getting a bit of that.

I don't recall Field being a particularly " go it alone " type of striker. Certainly not in the way that Armstrong can be with his " shoot from anywhere" attitude.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A personal, potted history.... walking through centre turnstile on riverside to a packed Ewood for the first time. Awestruck at the scarves, rattles. marching band. seeing Ronnie Clayton lea

Rovers fans have a lot to be thankful to Bill Fox for. An often forgotten figure in our ascendancy but the man who laid the foundations. While the rest of our traditional rivals were applying for re-e

I was just sat having a brew and sausage sandwich and my wife informed me that tomorrow is the third anniversary of her dad passing away aged 92. He was a 'hybrid' football supporter, following both R

Posted Images

I saw Tony Field play a few times for Sheffield United in the same team as Tony Currie....or am I imagining it? Memories play tricks. Anyway, you have to hand it to Furphy for getting him to play for us, never gave less than 100% though I'm surprised he wasn't popular with his team-mates. Goalscorers have to be selfish though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I saw Tony Field play a few times for Sheffield United in the same team as Tony Currie....or am I imagining it? Memories play tricks. Anyway, you have to hand it to Furphy for getting him to play for us, never gave less than 100% though I'm surprised he wasn't popular with his team-mates. Goalscorers have to be selfish though. 

Tony Currie played with him at Sheffield along with players like Bill Dearden, Alan Woodward, Keith Eddy, John Colquhoun and Jim Brown and not to mention the ex Rovers like Bradford, Garbett and Speight (maybe Endean too). There was also a County cricketer called Ted Helmsley if I remember correctly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, arbitro said:

Tony Currie played with him at Sheffield along with players like Bill Dearden, Alan Woodward, Keith Eddy, John Colquhoun and Jim Brown and not to mention the ex Rovers like Bradford, Garbett and Speight (maybe Endean too). There was also a County cricketer called Ted Helmsley if I remember correctly.

 That was a very good team, post Len Badger and Alan Birchehall (another ex Rover). Ted Hemsley played for Worcestershire I think, like Philip Neal, another footballer-cricketer. Those lads don't exist any more at elite level, more's the pity. Imagine being good enough to earn a living at football and cricket? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jim mk2 said:

 That was a very good team, post Len Badger and Alan Birchehall (another ex Rover). Ted Hemsley played for Worcestershire I think, like Philip Neal, another footballer-cricketer. Those lads don't exist any more at elite level, more's the pity. Imagine being good enough to earn a living at football and cricket? 

Balderstone and Cumbes were two more who were professional footballers and cricketers. Wasn't Cumbes a wicketkeeper and goalkeeper?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimmy Cumbes, Lancashire lad who played in goal for Aston Villa. Balderstone played in the first division for Carlisle United and batsman for Leicestershire IIRC. Neal played for Lincoln City at left back (saw him play at Turf Moor). There were others going back - Denis Compton was the most famous footballer/cricketer

Link to post
Share on other sites

Botham played a couple of football games for Scunthorpe as well didn't he?

Andy Goram was a fair cricketer. I played against him a few times at cricket and football and as a youth he was actually a better cricketer than he was a footballer to be honest. At least, he was bang average in the footie games I played against him in anyway. At cricket, he was an all rounder who batted left handed and bowled right arm medium, as well as keeping wicket sometimes. He had trials for Lancs but didn't quite make the grade.

He represented Scotland at both sports, the only person to do so. The Scotland games were mainly in the 50 over cup games (B&H?)

Edited by oldjamfan1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Botham played a couple of football games for Scunthorpe as well didn't he?

Andy Goram was a fair cricketer. I played against him a few times at cricket and football and as a youth he was actually a better cricketer than he was a footballer to be honest. At least, he was bang average in the games I played against him in anyway. At cricket, he was an all rounder who batted left handed and bowled right arm medium, as well as keeping wicket sometimes. He had trials for Lancs but didn't quite make the grade.

He represented Scotland at both sports, the only person to do so. The Scotland games were mainly in the 50 over cup games (B&H?)

I always thought Botham's appearances for Scunthorpe were a publicity stunt. He was too big and cumbersome for a footballer (Alec Stock politely suggested he should stick to cricket)

Apparently the Neville brothers were excellent cricketers too, particularly Phil. Would have made it as a pro. Mr Red Nose put a stop to his cricket

Edited by jim mk2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I always thought Botham's appearances for Scunthorpe were a publicity stunt. He was too big and cumbersome for a footballer (Alec Stock politely suggested he should stick to cricket)

Apparently the Neville brothers were excellent cricketers too, particularly Phil. Would have made it as a pro. Mr Red Nose put a stop to his cricket

I haven't read it in years but from his autobiography I have a hazy recollection that Botham had trials all over the place at football, so I don't think it was a publicity stunt. Agree that he wasn't the slimmest but in those days he wouldn't have been alone. Larry Lloyd was a similar build.

I'll tell you a Rovers player that was good enough to play first class cricket - Chris Sutton. Classy batsman.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I'll tell you a Rovers player that was good enough to play first class cricket - Chris Sutton. Classy batsman.

Mike England was very good too - left hand bat I think

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't there an annual cricket match between East Lancs and a Rovers XI during the close season? If memory serves Rovers would import a couple of Lancashire League professionals to bolster them. It is one of them events that have gone as footballers don't tend to live in the locality and jet off for several weeks as soon as the season has ended. Maybe the more intense contracts would also forbid it for fear of injury.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andrew-flintoff-phil-neville-cricket-18101504.amp

In terms of sporting all rounders someone called Max Woosnam played footy for Man City, chelski and England. He won Olympic gold and silver in tennis at the 1920 Olympics. Won a doubles title at Wimbledon. Captained the Davis cup team. Had a 147 break in snooker. Made a century at Lords.

Then our own A. N. Hornby. Think he’s the only person to captain England for both rugby and cricket (captain of the side who lost to Australia which led to the ashes). Played for Lancashire. Plus arguably his greatest achievement turned out for Rovers a few times. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Wasn't there an annual cricket match between East Lancs and a Rovers XI during the close season? If memory serves Rovers would import a couple of Lancashire League professionals to bolster them. It is one of them events that have gone as footballers don't tend to live in the locality and jet off for several weeks as soon as the season has ended. Maybe the more intense contracts would also forbid it for fear of injury.

There used to be a charity game between Rochdale AFC and Rochdale Hornets RLFC. It was 40 minutes football then 40 minutes rugby league ! Can you imagine that taking place now ? Some of the rugby league lads were really good footballers having had trials at the top North West clubs. One or two of the footballers looked like good rugby league players in the making also. It was really entertaining and good fun.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to post
Share on other sites

Peter Dobing was on Lancashire’s books. Don’t think he played a first class match but came on as a sub fielder in a roses game.

Going further back, ex Rover Henry Horton had a long first class career with Hampshire and went on to be a first class umpire

Edited by renrag
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Tony Currie played with him at Sheffield along with players like Bill Dearden, Alan Woodward, Keith Eddy, John Colquhoun and Jim Brown and not to mention the ex Rovers like Bradford, Garbett and Speight (maybe Endean too). There was also a County cricketer called Ted Helmsley if I remember correctly.

He'd have been in his element at Bramall Lane as they were still playing county cricket there then.

Speaking of BL, an old geezer (ie a bit older than me) I know from my local and a big cricket man told me he saw Don Bradman play at the Lane for the Aussies V Yorkshire. Talk about legends...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought Jimmy Cumbes was a bowler.

You could well be right Tyrone. I had it in my mind that there is some synergy between wicketkeeping and goalkeeping and it was Cumbes who put it there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, arbitro said:

You could well be right Tyrone. I had it in my mind that there is some synergy between wicketkeeping and goalkeeping and it was Cumbes who put it there.

Yes, he was a bowler. From a long line of good Lancashire home-grown bowlers.... Statham, Lever, Shuttleworth, Allott, Anderson, Chapple, Mahmood.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

 

My 11th birthday! There’s an electrical shop in Clitheroe with a framed picture of Shearer rising at the back post for that header in the front window.

Sadly not for sale 😫.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

 

Tim saying to Beardsley -

“If you score against us tonight Peter, I’ll rearrange your face”

”In that case”, says Peter, “I’m going to try and score a hat trick”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.