BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

2 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I thought it was Mick Heaton?

I thought that as well. Trying the new technique of flying towards the ball.

Here's your choices -

Bradshaw

Heaton, Waddington, Fazackerly, Hutchins.

Metcalfe, Martin, Parkes,

Napier, Endean, Field.

Sub - Not used.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

Was looking for something else (see Watford game thread) and came across this picture which I have not seen before. A beauty of a away kit with the white patch red rose badge.

link :

Bristol Rovers away 12/3/ 1974 Lost 3-0

6191511237_c9b1946895_c.jpg

Was that the era of Smash and Grab (Warboys and Bannister) for Bristol ?

47 minutes ago, rigger said:

Was that the era of Smash and Grab (Warboys and Bannister) for Bristol ?

It was Jack. I used to be so envious of them for having two regular goal scorers like them. They always seemed to score against us too.

Edited by arbitro

On 23/02/2021 at 14:29, perthblue02 said:

Was looking for something else (see Watford game thread) and came across this picture which I have not seen before. A beauty of a away kit with the white patch red rose badge.

link :

Bristol Rovers away 12/3/ 1974 Lost 3-0

6191511237_c9b1946895_c.jpg

Looks like the current Ewood pitch, only a bit better.

Mick Heaton. Mighty dynamo - about 5'3" at full stretch.. Faz looking suitably shocked...

Edited by WIR Second Coming
Dopey bastard

27 minutes ago, rigger said:

5'3" of winning mentality.

For sure! And before anyone says we are looking at past players through gimmer-rimmed rose tinted specs, Mick Heaton could have played our current first team squad single handed, and beaten ten balls of sh1t out of the lot of em, just with his attitude and gumption.

Sounds like an idea for a gloom lifting thread coming on - smallest players to play for Rovers' first 11...

Andy (I'll knee you in your bollox when you're 90) Crawford springs to mind - all 3'7" of him ...

1 minute ago, WIR Second Coming said:

For sure! And before anyone says we are looking at past players through gimmer-rimmed rose tinted specs, Mick Heaton could have played our current first team squad single handed, and beaten ten balls of sh1t out of the lot of em, just with his attitude and gumption.

Sounds like an idea for a gloom lifting thread coming on - smallest players to play for Rovers' first 11...

Andy (I'll knee you in your bollox when you're 90) Crawford springs to mind - all 3'7" of him ...

Johnny Price is still one of my all time favourites!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Alan Wright, Ben Arentoft 

Edited by rigger

On 23/02/2021 at 19:07, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well we had Martin Britt, who had been a top prospect, who we'd signed the previous season but he came with a serious knee injury which finished his career before Xmas of that year. We signed Alan Gilliver, who came with a big reputation, but unbeknown to Rovers he had disc problems. To sign Gilliver we sold Byrom. Neither of Britt or Gilliver hit the heights, all the while Byrom was banging them in for Bolton. He was past his best when he came back to Rovers.

West Ham knew Martin Britt was a crock, and I think Rovers did too, but we still signed him, £25,000 IIRC though I might be wrong, a fortune at the time.  He'd obviously done his cruciate (a wonky knee they used to call it) which was career ending then but would be routine surgery now. Britt was a good player. I remember seeing Gilliver sitting in the Nuttall St stand injured more often than he played.    

11 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

West Ham knew Martin Britt was a crock, and I think Rovers did too, but we still signed him, £25,000 IIRC though I might be wrong, a fortune at the time.  He'd obviously done his cruciate (a wonky knee they used to call it) which was career ending then but would be routine surgery now. Britt was a good player. I remember seeing Gilliver sitting in the Nuttall St stand injured more often than he played.    

Martin Britt was destined for the top. He'd scored a hat trick in the youth cup final playing against Livepool when Tommy Smith was his direct opponent. He'd done his knee before he came to Rovers otherwise West Ham would have never let him go. Apparently it was so bad he could only jump for headers off one leg. There's a very sad photo of Britt stood with a walking stick in Blackburn Town centre looking completely lost. It must have been a soul destroying experience for a young bloke.

Gilliver had a disc problem that eventually needed a disc fusion. Not really recommended for an athlete but it was a last resort. Even after that he always gave 100% and compared with the two strikers Mowbray has bought he was another Marco Van Basten.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Martin Britt was destined for the top. He'd scored a hat trick in the youth cup final playing against Livepool when Tommy Smith was his direct opponent. He'd done his knee before he came to Rovers

The question must be why did Rovers sign him?