10 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

For sure! And before anyone says we are looking at past players through gimmer-rimmed rose tinted specs, Mick Heaton could have played our current first team squad single handed, and beaten ten balls of sh1t out of the lot of em, just with his attitude and gumption.

Sounds like an idea for a gloom lifting thread coming on - smallest players to play for Rovers' first 11...

Andy (I'll knee you in your bollox when you're 90) Crawford springs to mind - all 3'7" of him ...

Alan Wright, Ben Arentoft 

Edited by rigger
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A personal, potted history.... walking through centre turnstile on riverside to a packed Ewood for the first time. Awestruck at the scarves, rattles. marching band. seeing Ronnie Clayton lea

Rovers fans have a lot to be thankful to Bill Fox for. An often forgotten figure in our ascendancy but the man who laid the foundations. While the rest of our traditional rivals were applying for re-e

I was just sat having a brew and sausage sandwich and my wife informed me that tomorrow is the third anniversary of her dad passing away aged 92. He was a 'hybrid' football supporter, following both R

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Johnny Price is still one of my all time favourites!

If he had his feet together, you could still nutmeg him between his knees!

On 23/02/2021 at 19:07, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well we had Martin Britt, who had been a top prospect, who we'd signed the previous season but he came with a serious knee injury which finished his career before Xmas of that year. We signed Alan Gilliver, who came with a big reputation, but unbeknown to Rovers he had disc problems. To sign Gilliver we sold Byrom. Neither of Britt or Gilliver hit the heights, all the while Byrom was banging them in for Bolton. He was past his best when he came back to Rovers.

West Ham knew Martin Britt was a crock, and I think Rovers did too, but we still signed him, £25,000 IIRC though I might be wrong, a fortune at the time.  He'd obviously done his cruciate (a wonky knee they used to call it) which was career ending then but would be routine surgery now. Britt was a good player. I remember seeing Gilliver sitting in the Nuttall St stand injured more often than he played.    

11 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

West Ham knew Martin Britt was a crock, and I think Rovers did too, but we still signed him, £25,000 IIRC though I might be wrong, a fortune at the time.  He'd obviously done his cruciate (a wonky knee they used to call it) which was career ending then but would be routine surgery now. Britt was a good player. I remember seeing Gilliver sitting in the Nuttall St stand injured more often than he played.    

Martin Britt was destined for the top. He'd scored a hat trick in the youth cup final playing against Livepool when Tommy Smith was his direct opponent. He'd done his knee before he came to Rovers otherwise West Ham would have never let him go. Apparently it was so bad he could only jump for headers off one leg. There's a very sad photo of Britt stood with a walking stick in Blackburn Town centre looking completely lost. It must have been a soul destroying experience for a young bloke.

Gilliver had a disc problem that eventually needed a disc fusion. Not really recommended for an athlete but it was a last resort. Even after that he always gave 100% and compared with the two strikers Mowbray has bought he was another Marco Van Basten.

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Martin Britt was destined for the top. He'd scored a hat trick in the youth cup final playing against Livepool when Tommy Smith was his direct opponent. He'd done his knee before he came to Rovers

The question must be why did Rovers sign him? 

11 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Some players just seems to hit it off everywhere. Who can ever forget his perfect cross that MGP volleyed in.

4DA5B306-8F78-487D-9131-731FF4854F5C.jpeg

i liked kuqi,he was an effective target man who always put 100% in,my mates dad though absolutely detested him for some reason,he called him an slow,clumsy pudding (that`s the printable version!!)

13 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Rare Rovers pics on Ebay - For Sale and Wanted - BRFCS.com - By Blackburn Rovers fans, for Blackburn Rovers fans.

Thread there ^ with old Rovers pictures for sale on ebay.

This one is an absolute belter....

Ronnie-Clayton-Of-Blackburn-Rovers-Leads-The-Team-Out-OLD-FOOTBALL-PHOTO

I think that's in the first season back in the old First Division. Arsenal at home Oct 25th 1958.

Players from the bottom - Matt Woods, Mick McGrath, Ken Taylor, Harry Leyland, Ronnie Clayton.

Att 37,747. Won 4-2,  scorers - Dobing 3, MacLeod 1.

Team -

Harry Leyland.

Ken Taylor, Bill Eckersley.

Ronnie Clayton, Matt Woods, Mick McGrath.

Bryan Douglas, Peter Dobing, Tommy Johnston, Roy Vernon, Ally MacLeod.

Those were the days, it seems light years away from where we are now.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think that's in the first season back in the old First Division. Arsenal at home Oct 25th 1958.

Players from the bottom - Matt Woods, Mick McGrath, Ken Taylor, Harry Leyland, Ronnie Clayton.

Att 37,747. Won 4-2,  scorers - Dobing 3, MacLeod 1.

Team -

Harry Leyland.

Ken Taylor, Bill Eckersley.

Ronnie Clayton, Matt Woods, Mick McGrath.

Bryan Douglas, Peter Dobing, Tommy Jognston, Roy Vernon, Ally MacLeod.

Those were the days, it seems light years away from where we are now.

What was the crowd?