16 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think that's in the first season back in the old First Division. Arsenal at home Oct 25th 1958.

Players from the bottom - Matt Woods, Mick McGrath, Ken Taylor, Harry Leyland, Ronnie Clayton.

Att 37,747. Won 4-2,  scorers - Dobing 3, MacLeod 1.

Team -

Harry Leyland.

Ken Taylor, Bill Eckersley.

Ronnie Clayton, Matt Woods, Mick McGrath.

Bryan Douglas, Peter Dobing, Tommy Johnston, Roy Vernon, Ally MacLeod.

Those were the days, it seems light years away from where we are now.

You’re right! The two mascots pictured walked round the perimeter track together a few times before the game. The Arsenal mascot was carrying the board with sign writing, which said something like We Arsenal supporters wish to welcome Blackburn Rovers back to the First Division. A lovely gesture and he was applauded from every side of the ground.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A personal, potted history.... walking through centre turnstile on riverside to a packed Ewood for the first time. Awestruck at the scarves, rattles. marching band. seeing Ronnie Clayton lea

Rovers fans have a lot to be thankful to Bill Fox for. An often forgotten figure in our ascendancy but the man who laid the foundations. While the rest of our traditional rivals were applying for re-e

34 years ago today was one of my happiest days as a Rover, when we defeated then first division Charlton 1-0 at Wembley to win the Full member's Cup. Nice to see Colin Hendry posting on Facebook about

Posted Images

"Hark now hear THE Rovers sing, the Burnley ran away and WE will fight for ever more because of Boxing Day!"

Not seasonal granted but those that know will get the message!

WE ARE The Rovers!!!

One of my favourite sporting images from an almost namesake.

It embodies everything that I consider to have been sorely lacking at Ewood Park for years: "Look like you want to play for THE Rovers!!

Martin Keown.jpg

1975, CHAMPIONS!

Note Derek Keighley in the background, his son is one of US.

I'm in the melee somewhere, can you spot yourself?.....

156825703_10208166260470499_7319940297631761798_n.jpg

Edited by darrenrover
2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

1975, CHAMPIONS!

I am at the corner of the Blackburn end.

3 hours ago, darrenrover said:

1975, CHAMPIONS!

I was chatting to Gordon Lee's son the other day. Gordon is still alive and well into his late 80s and itching to get on the golf course. He has very fond memories of his time at Rovers.

4 hours ago, darrenrover said:

1975, CHAMPIONS!

I was on the Riverside that night. I had to leave at the final whistle to catch my last bus home.

It still irks me that Mowbray thought scenes like this weren't worth playing for and the title of " Champions " wasn't worth trying for.

I knew then he wasn't the man to lead my team into the future.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was on the Riverside that night. I had to leave at the final whistle to catch my last bus home.

It still irks me that Mowbray thought scenes like this weren't worth playing for and the title of " Champions " wasn't worth trying for.

Yep it crossed my mind then too, although to be fair it took another 12 months before I had decided for definite that he wasn't the right man.

It might have only been the third division, but unless you are one of the elite clubs, how many times do you get to see your team win a league title? It should have been pursued and cherished.

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

my thoughts exactly, should have annihilated league 1 by 10/15 points,we had by far the best squad in the division,we played with the choke in though all season,i first started to have doubts when pne beat us 4-1 and we looked completely unprepared,the final straw was at huddersfield christmas 2019,bullied off the park by a limited but determined side and we did nothing to try and match them,there is nothing more annoying to a fan as lack of effort,both player and manager have been guilty of both,multiple times

OCTOBER 25 - 1969: John Connelly of Blackburn Rovers (right) goes past Leicester City goalkeeper Peter Shilton during a Football League Division Two match at Ewood Park.

gettyimages-1227785058-2048x2048.jpg

Love this pic, you don't see many pics from this side of the ground, Infirmary in the distance also. 

Blackburn Rovers supporters queueing for tickets outside Ewood Park for the FA Cup 5th Round tie between Blackburn Rovers and Manchester City in Blackburn, England, circa February 1969

1gettyimages-1227684279-2048x2048.jpg

Blackburn End during the Football League Division Two match between Blackburn Rovers and Carlisle United at Ewood Park on October 12, 1968 

3gettyimages-1226594474-2048x2048.jpg

Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United, league match at Ewood Park, Saturday 3rd April 1965. Half time score 0-0. Manchester United and Blackburn Rovers fans change ends.

4gettyimages-952032452-2048x2048.jpg

5gettyimages-952032104-2048x2048.jpg

6gettyimages-952032044-2048x2048.jpg

What a marvellous stand the Riverside was... and its replacement looked outdated about two years after it was opened.

Edited by Mattyblue
1 hour ago, Gav said:

Love this pic, you don't see many pics from this side of the ground, Infirmary in the distance also. 

Blackburn Rovers supporters queueing for tickets outside Ewood Park for the FA Cup 5th Round tie between Blackburn Rovers and Manchester City in Blackburn, England, circa February 1969

1gettyimages-1227684279-2048x2048.jpg

Anyone remember the ground capacity at that time? There were over 40,000 on for that game.

6 minutes ago, den said:

Anyone remember the ground capacity at that time? There were over 40,000 on for that game.

the official capacity in the late 60`s early 70`s was close to 47,000,i remember reading it some old football annual,the safety at sports ground act of 1975 and the arrival of the football hooligan cut capacity at every ground in the country,i definately remember it was 30000 in the early 80`s then 25,000 in the middle 80`s and the just over 20000 in the early 90`s

43 minutes ago, Gav said:

1982/83 Season

7gettyimages-1228845746-2048x2048.jpg

Some great memories here - thanks Gav.

I noticed there is only fifteen players on the first team squad picture. Compare that to the mega sized squads we see now.

On 05/03/2021 at 09:09, oldjamfan1 said:

I was chatting to Gordon Lee's son the other day. Gordon is still alive and well into his late 80s and itching to get on the golf course. He has very fond memories of his time at Rovers.

Gutted, when Lee left....like a bereavement!

On 05/03/2021 at 09:34, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It rankled with me too. All those fans at The Valley...then that team selection...

3 hours ago, Gav said:

OCTOBER 25 - 1969: John Connelly of Blackburn Rovers (right) goes past Leicester City goalkeeper Peter Shilton during a Football League Division Two match at Ewood Park.

gettyimages-1227785058-2048x2048.jpg

I was at that game, we played really well that day, I thought we were going up after that.

Won 3-1 in front of a good crowd of 15,362. Scorers Ken Knighton, Brian Hill, John Connelly. Maybe that photo is Connelly in the act of scoring ? Eamon Rogers played right back in an emergency and looked a natural.

Team

Blacklaw

Rogers, Hunter, Mulvaney, Wilson.

Connelly, Metcalfe, Knighton, Hill

Martin, Darling.

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was at that game, we played really well that day, I thought we were going up after that.

Won 3-1 in front of a good crowd of 15,362. Scorers Ken Knighton, Brian Hill, John Connelly. Maybe that photo is Connelly in the act of scoring ? Eamon Rogers played right back in an emergency and looked a natural.

Team

Blacklaw

Rogers, Hunter, Mulvaney, Wilson.

Connelly, Metcalfe, Knighton, Hill

Martin, Darling.

That was the first game , I ever saw .