BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

1 hour ago, Ianrally said:

When I posted the pic I could not name the player between Eamon and Denis Law either. I don’t think that’s Derek Temple though. Having said that, at first glance I thought Denis Law was Tommy Gemmell.

There is a very near likeness. Tommy Gemmell smile with Dennis Law hair do.

50 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’m pretty sure that is Tommy Gemmell and not Denis Law. My immediate impression of the other mystery player was Bobby Moncur of Newcastle United.

It looks like Moncur too!

We need a copy of the match programme!

moncur Capture.JPG

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’m pretty sure that is Tommy Gemmell and not Denis Law. My immediate impression of the other mystery player was Bobby Moncur of Newcastle United.

I think you’re right with Tommy Gemmell, TS. My first guess for the other player was Terry Paine but Bobby Moncur seems to fit the bill.

Just to cheer us all up can I just remind everyone that it was on Easter Saturday 1963 that I saw the finest goal I’ve ever seen scored in the flesh.

The scorer was Bryan Douglas of course. The game was against West Brom at Ewood.

Here’s what Alf Thornton had to say about it in that evenings “ Last Sports “. -

“ At 80 minutes DOUGLAS brought the house down with a wonder goal such as only he of present day footballers can score. He picked the ball up on his wing at the half way line, shrugged off attempted tackles by Clark and Bannister, went inside at speed and beat Williams, Jones and Fairfax with beautiful body swerves as though they did not exist before crashing in a terrific drive.

The Rovers players dashed to congratulate him and the crowd gave him a standing ovation “.

I was right behind the goals at the Darwen End and I had a birdseye view of the run from start to finish. It really was an amazing goal and I consider myself really blessed to have been there to see it. Alf’s report doesn’t really do it justice to be honest. Dougie was at genius level with the ball at his feet.

There can’t be many of us left now that actually witnessed it, the gate was only 11,451 that afternoon.

This was the day after we’d beaten a good Sheffield Wed team 3-0 at Ewood in front of a gate of 14,361.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

Out in my shed this afternoon, radio on....on come's Dorris Day with a classic:

"She wore, she wore, she wore a blue and white ribbon, she wore a blue and white ribbon in the merry month of May, and when I asked, her why she wore that ribbon, she said it's for The Rovers and we're going to Wembley......Wembley, Wembley, we're the famous Blackburn Rovers and we're going to Wembley. Wembley....."

If only, eh lads?....

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just to cheer us all up can I just remind everyone that it was on Easter Saturday 1963 that I saw the finest goal I’ve ever seen scored in the flesh.

The scorer was Bryan Douglas of course. The game was against West Brom at Ewood.

Here’s what Alf Thornton had to say about it in that evenings “ Last Sports “. -

“ At 80 minutes DOUGLAS brought the house down with a wonder goal such as only he of present day footballers can score. He picked the ball up on his wing at the half way line, shrugged off attempted tackles by Clark and Bannister, went inside at speed and beat Williams, Jones and Fairfax with beautiful body swerves as though they did not exist before crashing in a terrific drive.

The Rovers players dashed to congratulate him and the crowd gave him a standing ovation “.

I was right behind the goals at the Darwen End and I had a birdseye view of the run from start to finish. It really was an amazing goal and I consider myself really blessed to have been there to see it. Alf’s report doesn’t really do it justice to be honest. Dougie was at genius level with the ball at his feet.

There can’t be many of us left now that actually witnessed it, the gate was only 11,451 that afternoon.

This was the day after we’d beaten a good Sheffield Wed team 3-0 at Ewood in front of a gate of 14,361.

I was there. Riverside for me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

"She wore, she wore, she wore a blue and white ribbon, she wore a blue and white ribbon in the merry month of May, and when I asked, her why she wore that ribbon, she said it's for The Rovers and we're going to Wembley......Wembley, Wembley, we're the famous Blackburn Rovers and we're going to Wembley. Wembley....."

If only, eh lads?....

one day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That attendance would have been 11,450 if I had not been standing on the Blackburn End.

Rovers were attacking the Darwen End. Dougie was playing at inside left and picked the ball up near the left touch line on the halfway line (in front of the Riverside). He went on a mazey run diagonally which brought him to the right side of their penalty area D. The WBA defenders expected him to pass the ball so were standing off him. All of a sudden he beat two defenders in the area and scored with a great shot.

I think this was the game when I took my transistor radio onto the match to listen to the second half commentary. In those days BBC Radio used to invite us to tune in at 4pm to listen to the second half commentary of one of the first division matches. They never told us which one. That day they made a mistake and said it would be Rovers v WBA. Hence I took my tranny to the game.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, darrenrover said:

If only, eh lads?....

Is that the same shed you brew your own ale in Darrenrover? Seems like you tried one too many 🤪

Just now, Riversider28 said:

Is that the same shed you brew your own ale in Darrenrover? Seems like you tried one too many 🤪

No, but funnily enough home brew is on the future agenda!

I’m offended to be honest, can’t wait to sample a couple of ‘proper pub scoops’ though when we’re all let of the leash! 💪😂

22 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

No, but funnily enough home brew is on the future agenda!

I’m offended to be honest, can’t wait to sample a couple of ‘proper pub scoops’ though when we’re all let of the leash! 💪😂

Sorry, darrenrover no offence meant 😔

• Like 1

Happy birthday Eamonn Rogers. 74 today.

Played for Rovers 1965 t0 1971.  177 appearances.  39 goals.

19 caps for Rep of Ireland. 5 goals.

You have to be good to play professional football but Eamonn was exceptional.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, bazza said:

His name is Eamonn Rogers,

He is the king of our land,

His hair hangs over his shoulders,

Tied up with a blue and white band.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bazza said:

He could have been whatever he wanted to be. I saw him play central midfield, behind the striker, defensive midfield, out on the wing, right full back - and he was great in all of those positions. A David Dunn who could tackle.