Jump to content

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Gav said:

OCTOBER 25 - 1969: John Connelly of Blackburn Rovers (right) goes past Leicester City goalkeeper Peter Shilton during a Football League Division Two match at Ewood Park.

gettyimages-1227785058-2048x2048.jpg

I remember that game well for the wrong reasons though: It was the first time I recall football supporter violence at a game:

I was only 8 years old at the time but I can still distinctly remember a gang of Rovers' fans (Hells Angel types, long hair and leather jackets with motifs on the back) wading in and knocking seven bells out of their Leicester counterparts on The Darwen End. 

I believe that we had quite a reputation back then (Harry The Dog!)

During the first half I'd been wandering about The Darwen End collecting discarded coffee cups: when I'd got 40 empties, I went to the kiosk in the corner, at The Nuttall Street side of the stand, handed them in and got 2 free brews: one for my Dad and the other for my Grandad (The deal was a free brew for 20 empty coffee cups).

Whilst I was wandering about, I'd spotted a few people spitting on the floor (disgusting I know) and when I got back to our barrier, handed the coffees over, I 'snecked up' and gobbed. Problem was my aim was poor and it landed on an unsuspecting gentleman's back who was stood in front! Crack!!... I got a bloody good back hander off my Dad on the ear, was told to go and apologise and wipe it off his back with my Dad's handkerchief. I'd no choice but to do as he asked.....

Then it all 'kicked off'!.....

It was all character building but suffice it to say, I remember that game well!

Edited by darrenrover
Additional detail
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A personal, potted history.... walking through centre turnstile on riverside to a packed Ewood for the first time. Awestruck at the scarves, rattles. marching band. seeing Ronnie Clayton lea

Rovers fans have a lot to be thankful to Bill Fox for. An often forgotten figure in our ascendancy but the man who laid the foundations. While the rest of our traditional rivals were applying for re-e

34 years ago today was one of my happiest days as a Rover, when we defeated then first division Charlton 1-0 at Wembley to win the Full member's Cup. Nice to see Colin Hendry posting on Facebook about

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

Such great away days 👍

Oh for those days of 1-0 wins.

But today it’s about the performance, not the result. 🤔

I was at Uni in North Carolina then, my Mum and Dad went to Saltergate that day. Only recently my Dad recalled he had to take Mum shopping en route in the morning, in order to convince her to make the trip with him.

Me, I'd subscribed for an annual subscription for 'Sports Pink' to be mailed to me weekly and it used to appear in my mail box religiously on the Monday, some 9 days after the Saturday game over a week prior! (Alf Thornton was my hero!)

Imagine that in this day and age: having to wait 9 days to see how we'd gone on!?

I used to paper my room with the cuttings from the newspaper. I distinctly remember one where we'd played Chelsea and I was proud as punch because there were almost 16,000 on Ewood!

Bloody great memories, I love this thread.

Edited by darrenrover
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/03/2021 at 16:47, Gav said:

Blackburn Rovers footballer Don Martin takes a walk to the shops with his child on December 31, 1968

 

2gettyimages-1227656821-2048x2048.jpg

Not too far from Ewood. That's Bolton Road, just coming up to Ewood WMC. Don was probably nipping in for a quick pint and one of his 'lucky' fags.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/03/2021 at 05:25, darrenrover said:

I was at Uni in North Carolina then, my Mum and Dad went to Saltergate that day. Only recently my Dad recalled he had to take Mum shopping en route in the morning, in order to convince her to make the trip with him.

Me, I'd subscribed for an annual subscription for 'Sports Pink' to be mailed to me weekly and it used to appear in my mail box religiously on the Monday, some 9 days after the Saturday game over a week prior! (Alf Thornton was my hero!)

Imagine that in this day and age: having to wait 9 days to see how we'd gone on!?

I used to paper my room with the cuttings from the newspaper. I distinctly remember one where we'd played Chelsea and I was proud as punch because there were almost 16,000 on Ewood!

Bloody great memories, I love this thread.

I was living and working in the newly named Zimbabwe. My son and I had to rely on one column on the back page of the Sunday newspaper which had the British football results and league tables. We were amazed and delighted to find out Chesterfield 0 Rovers 1 and the other one Colchester Utd 0 Rovers 1. The last day of one season we couldn't understand why Bradford City v Lincoln City had been abandoned. We heard nothing of the fire.

My mate in Clitheroe used to cut out all the match reports and other news about Rovers and every 6 weeks or so he would post them to me for hours of reading over and over again.

I wrote a letter to the LET about this and about the Rovers. I even voted Glen Keeley player of the year. It got published. A few days after, there was a cartoon in the LET which showed a bill board with "Rovers supporter in Rhodesia votes Keeley player of the year" written on it. Underneath was written, "He must have had a good pair of binoculars". 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t know if this has been posted before. You could challenge the keeper in those days and a wonderful goal from Noel - The King Of Ewood Park. Our undersoil heating was a bit patchy as well 😄

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bazza said:

I was living and working in the newly named Zimbabwe. My son and I had to rely on one column on the back page of the Sunday newspaper which had the British football results and league tables. We were amazed and delighted to find out Chesterfield 0 Rovers 1 and the other one Colchester Utd 0 Rovers 1. The last day of one season we couldn't understand why Bradford City v Lincoln City had been abandoned. We heard nothing of the fire.

My mate in Clitheroe used to cut out all the match reports and other news about Rovers and every 6 weeks or so he would post them to me for hours of reading over and over again.

I wrote a letter to the LET about this and about the Rovers. I even voted Glen Keeley player of the year. It got published. A few days after, there was a cartoon in the LET which showed a bill board with "Rovers supporter in Rhodesia votes Keeley player of the year" written on it. Underneath was written, "He must have had a good pair of binoculars". 

Brilliant bazza: We've all so many fantastic stories to tell, there's gotta be a book in there, surely?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, bazza said:

I was living and working in the newly named Zimbabwe. My son and I had to rely on one column on the back page of the Sunday newspaper which had the British football results and league tables. We were amazed and delighted to find out Chesterfield 0 Rovers 1 and the other one Colchester Utd 0 Rovers 1. The last day of one season we couldn't understand why Bradford City v Lincoln City had been abandoned. We heard nothing of the fire.

My mate in Clitheroe used to cut out all the match reports and other news about Rovers and every 6 weeks or so he would post them to me for hours of reading over and over again.

I wrote a letter to the LET about this and about the Rovers. I even voted Glen Keeley player of the year. It got published. A few days after, there was a cartoon in the LET which showed a bill board with "Rovers supporter in Rhodesia votes Keeley player of the year" written on it. Underneath was written, "He must have had a good pair of binoculars". 

The LET had another story about you from back then.  Your mum said you didn't know Rovers had been relegated.  This was followed by a Tipping's Topic cartoon which showed a yokel and said they still didn't know in Tockholes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Brilliant bazza: We've all so many fantastic stories to tell, there's gotta be a book in there, surely?

For my sins, amongst everything else I'm currently on with, I'm preparing a site in my back garden for a greenhouse and a decent sized veg plot. In the middle of my proposed veg plot is a Rhodendron and 2 Camellia bushes, all long established. I was going to leave them all in but then thought sod it, they've got to come out, so out came the chainsaw and big axe: I made mincemeat of the Rhodendron and white Camellia in a matter of minutes. I was about to set about the final pink Camellia and stopped myself. I thought "shit, I can't destroy 'Speedie', it's of sentimental value"!

I bought it as a twig for a couple of quid from a garden centre in Plymouth in 1992 when my Dad and I were killing time having arrived early for the match.

Obviously Speedie went on to score a hat-trick and secured our place in the play offs (hence my naming of the bush)

No way could I cut him down!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roving Mick said:

The LET had another story about you from back then.  Your mum said you didn't know Rovers had been relegated.  This was followed by a Tipping's Topic cartoon which showed a yokel and said they still didn't know in Tockholes.

We were relegated???

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/03/2021 at 19:30, Stonesrick said:

Such great away days 👍

Oh for those days of 1-0 wins.

But today it’s about the performance, not the result. 🤔

Struggling remembering this but I think the original game was called off due to a frozen pitch. About a dozen of us travelled over in a Ford Transit van. The Snake Pass was covered in snow, we inched along, stopped for a p!ss break, I jumped over a wall into a field and sank up to my waist in snow. Later on, we found the game had been called off. We diverted to Rotherham as they were at home, only to then get a puncture and miss that game as well. We had earlier had a few beers in Owd Bett’s above Rochdale so we’re were happy enough. 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Struggling remembering this but I think the original game was called off due to a frozen pitch. About a dozen of us travelled over in a Ford Transit van. The Snake Pass was covered in snow, we inched along, stopped for a p!ss break, I jumped over a wall into a field and sank up to my waist in snow. Later on, we found the game had been called off. We diverted to Rotherham as they were at home, only to then get a puncture and miss that game as well. We had earlier had a few beers in Owd Bett’s above Rochdale so we’re were happy enough. 😆

Last time I was in the “ Owd Betts “ Ellery Hanley was in a quiet corner with someone who may or may not have been his wife. He was maintaining a pretty low profile until I said “  How’s it going Ellery ? “ as I was leaving.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Last time I was in the “ Owd Betts “ Ellery Hanley was in a quiet corner with someone who may or may not have been his wife. He was maintaining a pretty low profile until I said “  How’s it going Ellery ? “ as I was leaving.

not the best person to annoy tbh😅

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of seeing Didier Drogba trying to sneak a Las Vegas escort out of his room at Caesars Palace.

2007'ish - 20,000 Ricky Hatton fans travelled to Las Vegas to watch the fight against Mayweather, the place was packed with Hatton fans and most never slept for 5 days.

5am in the morning, around 50 of us singing in the bar, the lift opens and Didier Drogba walks out with a beautiful women dressed in lingerie, not an usual sight in Vegas to be honest, but she was with Didier, that drew attention. 

You can imagine the scene, as he hurriedly drags her back into the lift and starts pressing the buttons, but its to late, the singing and shouting has started, the cameras are going wild, Didier joins in .........Only 1 Didier Drogba, only 1 Didier Drogba.......

He walks the lady to the taxi, comes back and puts $5000 bar tab on his room, has a shot of Tequila then off to bed, we manged to spend on his room until about 7am......bet the waiters got a decent tip that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIdfaNa4JKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kortGZ_gqeg

Edited by Gav
Link to post
Share on other sites

Billy Wilson, Keith Newton and Ronnie Clayton "in the trenches" as Rovers prepare to face Sheffield Wednesday at Ewood Park in March 1966.

Presume this was the FA Cup match which we lost?

 

 

billy.jpg

Edited by jim mk2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon Garner February 1988. Blackburn Rovers 3-2 Aston Villa League Match Division Two.

I was on Blackburn End that day and I've never seen it so packed, the Riverside was being redeveloped, when the 3rd goal went in complete bedlam.

 

11gettyimages-675990422-2048x2048.jpg

Edited by Gav
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jimmy Quinn surrounded by fans during an end of season pitch invasion following the Canon League Division Two match between Blackburn Rovers and Wolverhampton Wanderers at Ewood Park on May 11, 1985 Blackburn Rovers finish in 5th place in Division Two in spite of a 3-0 win.

 

12gettyimages-1228747568-2048x2048.jpg

13gettyimages-1228747582-2048x2048.jpg

Edited by Gav
Link to post
Share on other sites

English Punk and New Wave musician Captain Sensible of the group the Damned, performs at King George Hall, Blackburn, 11/26/1981.

 

14gettyimages-1264304625-2048x2048.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Screenshot_20210320-075501_Twitter.thumb.jpg.83672ee186828164f23a04e649a563e2.jpg Pete de Freitas and Les Pattinson rocking up at King Georges Hall on their motorbikes for an Echo And The Bunnymen gig 15th July 1983 .Pictures taken at the back of the Hall as they do a bit of maintenance on their bikes before they do the gig ..like rock stars do ..

Screenshot_20210320-075521_Twitter.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gav said:

Jimmy Quinn surrounded by fans during an end of season pitch invasion following the Canon League Division Two match between Blackburn Rovers and Wolverhampton Wanderers at Ewood Park on May 11, 1985 Blackburn Rovers finish in 5th place in Division Two in spite of a 3-0 win.

 

12gettyimages-1228747568-2048x2048.jpg

13gettyimages-1228747582-2048x2048.jpg

That was the only time I took my eldest son to Ewood. He’d be about 11 and he spent the whole game just looking around the ground and hardly watched the football at all.

He’s never been interested much in football.

I took his younger brother to an end of season game a few seasons later and he’s been hooked ever since.

We’re both trying really hard to maintain my grandson’s interest in the club but given the rubbish on display recently it’s not easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gav said:

Simon Garner February 1988. Blackburn Rovers 3-2 Aston Villa League Match Division Two.

I was on Blackburn End that day and I've never seen it so packed, the Riverside was being redeveloped, when the 3rd goal went in complete bedlam.

 

11gettyimages-675990422-2048x2048.jpg

I’m in that picture somewhere in the DE Enclosure - got a hailstorm of coins at the end from the Villains in the Darwen End. Cracking game though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

 Screenshot_20210320-075501_Twitter.thumb.jpg.83672ee186828164f23a04e649a563e2.jpg Pete de Freitas and Les Pattinson rocking up at King Georges Hall on their motorbikes for an Echo And The Bunnymen gig 15th July 1983 .Pictures taken at the back of the Hall as they do a bit of maintenance on their bikes before they do the gig ..like rock stars do ..

Screenshot_20210320-075521_Twitter.jpg

I went to that gig but obviously didn't get there as early as you did.

Sadly Pete De Freitas died a couple of years later when he crashed his Ducati - maybe the very bike in the picture.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.