BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

2 hours ago, bazza said:

I know a chap who claims to have played for Rovers reserves in the 50s and/or 60s. He never made it to the first team. Hence his name is not in the history books. I wonder if you, Mr Shoelaces, or anyone else has heard of him.

His name is Kevin Livesey. He left football, took up tennis, became a tennis coach and has lived in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia for many years.

Sorry, the 50’s is before my time and I’ve never seen his name mentioned in any stuff from the 60’s. That doesn’t mean he didn’t play. For example 29 players played for that reserve team in the photo in that season.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

David Holt was a centre half who came up through the ranks. He played 5 first team games towards the end of the 1965-66 relegation season and 5 more at the beginning of the following season. I think he came from the North East and I think he packed the game in as a young player to get a proper job.

Martin Hall was a reserve right back who never made it into the first team.

Could line up like this -

Jones.

Hall, Mulvaney, Holt, Wilson.

Horrey, McGrath, Rogers.

Blore, Anderson, Jones

I had it in my head that Roland* Horrey was a forward TS. Maybe not though. It’s  56 years ago.

* think his name was Roland. I saw him play quite a number of times for the reserves. 

2 hours ago, den said:

I had it in my head that Roland* Horrey was a forward TS. Maybe not though. It’s  56 years ago.

* think his name was Roland. I saw him play quite a number of times for the reserves. 

Yes, you’re correct, he was a right winger den. He came down from the North East at roughly the same time as David Holt, Dick Mulvaney and Billy Wilson.

I’ve just watched the clip that was posted in the Birmingham thread of the Souness promotion season. I forgot just how good Matt Jansen was he had it all could score with his head, tap ins, running at defenders from distance and one on one. Player of the season in a team with Dunn and Duff in it. 

The word clinical applies to him. Armstrong would not be fit to lace his boots his anticipation and reading of the game is a pleasure to watch always right place right time.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Boroblue said:

I’ve just watched the clip that was posted in the Birmingham thread of the Souness promotion season. I forgot just how good Matt Jansen was he had it all could score with his head, tap ins, running at defenders from distance and one on one. Player of the season in a team with Dunn and Duff in it. 

The word clinical applies to him. Armstrong would not be fit to lace his boots his anticipation and reading of the game is a pleasure to watch always right place right time.

He could take it around the keeper if he had to. He needs to show Armstrong how to do that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Boroblue said:

he was a complete striker was jansen,quick,two footed,aware,good with his head and a great finisher,i remember a crucial game at the reebok,circa 2001 when he went clear,put their keeper on his arse with a dummy and walked it into the net,f*****g fabulous,even my dad,who is`nt one to start singing and shouting went beserk!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

On 21/05/2021 at 23:01, simongarnerisgod said:

he was a complete striker was jansen,quick,two footed,aware,good with his head and a great finisher,i remember a crucial game at the reebok,circa 2001 when he went clear,put their keeper on his arse with a dummy and walked it into the net,f*****g fabulous,even my dad,who is`nt one to start singing and shouting went beserk!!!!!!!!

One of my favourite ever Rovers goals that one. If I remember rightly it was on Sky on a Friday night.

Not the best quality, but 5:40 - absolute genius! Enjoy!

• Like 3

cheers  for putting that on,it was bloody freezing that night as well😊,caught the train from chorley and it was rocking with rovers fans,jobsworth ticket collector got the hump when his appeal to keep the noise down did`nt exactly have the desired effect,not sure he knew exactly what was going on because he threatened to have us thrown off when we reached horwich parkway😄

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I thinks that’s Peter Dobing nearest the ball but not sure who the other two Rovers players are.

Left is either Vernon or Douglas. Middle is either Ken Taylor or Tommy Johnstone.

Looks like McGrath or Dave Whelan in the background.

I think it's Douglas, Johnstone, Whelan.

I think The Valley held about 75 thousand in those days.

And the Charlton player could be either Eddie Firmani or George Robledo.

Couldn't have been Robledo. He played for Newcastle Utd.

Edited by bazza

7 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Charlton Athletic away on 26th April 1958 and Rovers win 4-3 to return to the Top Flight. A photo I’ve not knowingly seen before and one Infound recently on Facebook.

I was 26 days old, still in Queens Park on an incubator, so couldn’t make the game..😆

8136CEEA-F883-47D5-AA0E-06657B27F935.jpeg

Part-timer! 

On 31/05/2021 at 20:15, renrag said:

I went to that game with a RAF mate and spent the weekend at his place in Rutherglen. Douglas was unplayable and when we got back home, his dad was apoplectic and raged “We’ve put up with Matthews all these years and now you’ve got bloody Douglas”. The headline on the back page of the Scottish Sunday Express just said “BLACK DOUGLAS”

I remember that headline. Duggie played them off the park and my Scottish relatives thought Douglas was better than Matthews. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...