Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just to cheer us all up can I just remind everyone that it was on Easter Saturday 1963 that I saw the finest goal I’ve ever seen scored in the flesh.

The scorer was Bryan Douglas of course. The game was against West Brom at Ewood.

Here’s what Alf Thornton had to say about it in that evenings “ Last Sports “. -

 

“ At 80 minutes DOUGLAS brought the house down with a wonder goal such as only he of present day footballers can score. He picked the ball up on his wing at the half way line, shrugged off attempted tackles by Clark and Bannister, went inside at speed and beat Williams, Jones and Fairfax with beautiful body swerves as though they did not exist before crashing in a terrific drive.

The Rovers players dashed to congratulate him and the crowd gave him a standing ovation “.

I was right behind the goals at the Darwen End and I had a birdseye view of the run from start to finish. It really was an amazing goal and I consider myself really blessed to have been there to see it. Alf’s report doesn’t really do it justice to be honest. Dougie was at genius level with the ball at his feet.

There can’t be many of us left now that actually witnessed it, the gate was only 11,451 that afternoon.

This was the day after we’d beaten a good Sheffield Wed team 3-0 at Ewood in front of a gate of 14,361.

I was there. Riverside for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A personal, potted history.... walking through centre turnstile on riverside to a packed Ewood for the first time. Awestruck at the scarves, rattles. marching band. seeing Ronnie Clayton lea

Rovers fans have a lot to be thankful to Bill Fox for. An often forgotten figure in our ascendancy but the man who laid the foundations. While the rest of our traditional rivals were applying for re-e

I was just sat having a brew and sausage sandwich and my wife informed me that tomorrow is the third anniversary of her dad passing away aged 92. He was a 'hybrid' football supporter, following both R

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Out in my shed this afternoon, radio on....on come's Dorris Day with a classic:

"She wore, she wore, she wore a blue and white ribbon, she wore a blue and white ribbon in the merry month of May, and when I asked, her why she wore that ribbon, she said it's for The Rovers and we're going to Wembley......Wembley, Wembley, we're the famous Blackburn Rovers and we're going to Wembley. Wembley....."

If only, eh lads?....

one day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just to cheer us all up can I just remind everyone that it was on Easter Saturday 1963 that I saw the finest goal I’ve ever seen scored in the flesh.

The scorer was Bryan Douglas of course. The game was against West Brom at Ewood.

Here’s what Alf Thornton had to say about it in that evenings “ Last Sports “. -

 

“ At 80 minutes DOUGLAS brought the house down with a wonder goal such as only he of present day footballers can score. He picked the ball up on his wing at the half way line, shrugged off attempted tackles by Clark and Bannister, went inside at speed and beat Williams, Jones and Fairfax with beautiful body swerves as though they did not exist before crashing in a terrific drive.

The Rovers players dashed to congratulate him and the crowd gave him a standing ovation “.

I was right behind the goals at the Darwen End and I had a birdseye view of the run from start to finish. It really was an amazing goal and I consider myself really blessed to have been there to see it. Alf’s report doesn’t really do it justice to be honest. Dougie was at genius level with the ball at his feet.

There can’t be many of us left now that actually witnessed it, the gate was only 11,451 that afternoon.

This was the day after we’d beaten a good Sheffield Wed team 3-0 at Ewood in front of a gate of 14,361.

That attendance would have been 11,450 if I had not been standing on the Blackburn End.

Rovers were attacking the Darwen End. Dougie was playing at inside left and picked the ball up near the left touch line on the halfway line (in front of the Riverside). He went on a mazey run diagonally which brought him to the right side of their penalty area D. The WBA defenders expected him to pass the ball so were standing off him. All of a sudden he beat two defenders in the area and scored with a great shot.

I think this was the game when I took my transistor radio onto the match to listen to the second half commentary. In those days BBC Radio used to invite us to tune in at 4pm to listen to the second half commentary of one of the first division matches. They never told us which one. That day they made a mistake and said it would be Rovers v WBA. Hence I took my tranny to the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Out in my shed this afternoon, radio on....on come's Dorris Day with a classic:

"She wore, she wore, she wore a blue and white ribbon, she wore a blue and white ribbon in the merry month of May, and when I asked, her why she wore that ribbon, she said it's for The Rovers and we're going to Wembley......Wembley, Wembley, we're the famous Blackburn Rovers and we're going to Wembley. Wembley....."

If only, eh lads?....

Is that the same shed you brew your own ale in Darrenrover? Seems like you tried one too many 🤪

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Riversider28 said:

Is that the same shed you brew your own ale in Darrenrover? Seems like you tried one too many 🤪

No, but funnily enough home brew is on the future agenda!

I’m offended to be honest, can’t wait to sample a couple of ‘proper pub scoops’ though when we’re all let of the leash! 💪😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in mi shed, radio on and UB40...

”wise men say, only fools rush in, but I can’t help falling in love with you.....The Rovers, The Rovers.👏👏👏”!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

No, but funnily enough home brew is on the future agenda!

I’m offended to be honest, can’t wait to sample a couple of ‘proper pub scoops’ though when we’re all let of the leash! 💪😂

Sorry, darrenrover no offence meant 😔

Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy birthday Eamonn Rogers. 74 today.

Played for Rovers 1965 t0 1971.  177 appearances.  39 goals.

19 caps for Rep of Ireland. 5 goals.

You have to be good to play professional football but Eamonn was exceptional.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bazza said:

Happy birthday Eamonn Rogers. 74 today.

Played for Rovers 1965 t0 1971.  177 appearances.  39 goals.

19 caps for Rep of Ireland. 5 goals.

You have to be good to play professional football but Eamonn was exceptional.

His name is Eamonn Rogers,

He is the king of our land,

His hair hangs over his shoulders,

Tied up with a blue and white band.

Edited by rigger
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bazza said:

Happy birthday Eamonn Rogers. 74 today.

Played for Rovers 1965 t0 1971.  177 appearances.  39 goals.

19 caps for Rep of Ireland. 5 goals.

You have to be good to play professional football but Eamonn was exceptional.

He could have been whatever he wanted to be. I saw him play central midfield, behind the striker, defensive midfield, out on the wing, right full back - and he was great in all of those positions. A David Dunn who could tackle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rigger said:

His name is Eamonn Rogers,

He is the king of our land,

His hair hangs over his shoulders,

Tied up with a blue and white band.

Did I actually stand on the Riverside singing that ditty? The things we forget, eh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gav said:

Bolton away 1977, a loss, but some great footage.

I bet a few on here went to this.

 

I wasn’t at that game.
 

Just look at the state of the pitch yet teams could get you out of your seat with the football they played on pitches like that.   I watched the City - Chelsea semi final on a billiard table surface yesterday and it took me all my time to stay awake. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I drove into Sheffield earlier today and driving past Hillsborough park I see 2 lads wearing the Blue and White halves loud and proud. I have to admit I've seen Rover shirts here before, could be the same lads.

This site has turned into a cauldron of misery, but when you drive into 3rd city and see Rover shirts, everything in the world is great again, lets face it, we could be Wednesday 😟

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/04/2021 at 21:07, rigger said:

Never forget!

Aye, was it you that ripped the ear of my Steiffe?  A quick chuck to the left side o' t' Riverside just after half time against Port Vale and he came back with only one ear and left leg hanging on by a thread!...Absolute animals left side of centre, no bloody respect for man nor bear!

Memories lads eh, simple things?

Let's fecking get that spirit back! (Young 'uns won't have a scooby doo!)

WE ARE The Rovers!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Aye, was it you that ripped the ear of my Steiffe?  A quick chuck to the left side o' t' Riverside just after half time against Port Vale and he came back with only one ear and left leg hanging on by a thread!...Absolute animals left side of centre, no bloody respect for man nor bear!

Memories lads eh, simple things?

Let's fecking get that spirit back! (Young 'uns won't have a scooby doo!)

WE ARE The Rovers!!!

This was before my time darrenrover, but I ended up in the late 90's being mates with a founder member of the burnley suicide squad, long story by the way, but a cracking bloke to be honest.

He asked me what the **** are they doing tearing a bear to bits on the riverside? Is that all you soft ***s can manage? 😂

I had no idea what he was on about, but told him my dad was part of the 60's and early 70's mobs that spanked you home and away,

"They had to put up fences up at Ewood to keep you safe"

He was having non of it but, but great banter.

Tell us more about this bear.

 @darrenrover

Edited by Gav
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.