BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

• 4 weeks later...

@47er I’ve just read that you attended the 1960 cup final? If you get the time can you give us a flavour of the day?

How did you travel down? Football special? Coach or car?
Where did you stand/sit? 

Id love to hear your account of the day or anyone else’s for that matter.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Gav said:

@47er I’ve just read that you attended the 1960 cup final? If you get the time can you give us a flavour of the day?

How did you travel down? Football special? Coach or car?
Where did you stand/sit? 

Id love to hear your account of the day or anyone else’s for that matter.

Sorry Gav--only just spotted this. My experience was exactly the same as Renrag's and I've spent the last 60-odd years trying to get over the disappointment of it. 

As a kid, I dreamed of going to Wembley to watch Rovers win the FA Cup just as my Dad had in 1928, a day he often talked about to me.

Like Renrag we went by special train---full of enthusiasm and hope, packed with Rovers fans all feeling the same way. We returned like a defeated army, full of dejection, hope crushed.

It was a cruel,cruel day, the worst of my life. In that heat we had no chance of surviving with 10 men which we were down to in the first 30 seconds, effectively anyway, with Dougan on one leg. Given that we also lost Whelan to a broken leg and McGrath scored an own goal that was one hell of a first half and I would happily have gone home there and then.

I sat high up in the stand, just left of the centre line with Rovers fans packed behind the goals to my left.

Had a perfect view of Dobing missing a sitter early on, the only chance I remember we had.

Profound effects for the club, thousands who couldn't get a ticket never set foot in Ewood again.

Then, as now, the Club was architect of its own disaster. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Gav said:

@47er @renrag

Thanks very much gents, great reads, appreciate you both taking the time.

Ive always thought getting to the final was the reward, whatever happens on the day I’d accept, but that clearly is very different in practice.

Absolutely, Gav. Just remember the Spurs fans who were "gutted" after we beat them in Cardiff. They had won a tougher game (on paper) in the semi-final 5-1(?). They expected to thrash us in the final, especially with us having so many good players unavailable through injury or suspension. No Short. No Tugay. We had to play Tiny Taylor at full back and Mark Hughes in midfield.

Now the 1960 cup run saw us scrape through the 4th round against Blackpool by the skin of our teeth. Then we proceeded to beat 3 of the best 4 teams in the league, Spurs, Burnley and Sheff Wed to get to the final. Wolves were the other of the 4 best teams. They would have won the cup and league double had it not been for Burnley becoming champions.

I was so proud of Rovers that year. The debacle of the final hurt that much more.

And, before anyone asks, me and my dad watched it at home on television.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just watched “ Fever Pitch - The Rise Of The Premier League “. Very interesting.

Love the bit when Jack starts to show interest with people around country not knowing where Blackburn is.

Brings it back to know how good it felt to be Champions of England!

• Like 1

It was interesting that many Utd fans and media outlets sighted Cantona jumping into the crowd at Palace as being the turning point in the title race when won it.

I'd say the Shearer injury against Leeds on the program last night handed the title to United, had Alan stayed injury free we'd have won it that season too.

Great days, they can't take away our memories and we will come again, once the Venkys sod off. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Gav said:

It was interesting that many Utd fans and media outlets sighted Cantona jumping into the crowd at Palace as being the turning point in the title race when won it.

I'd say the Shearer injury against Leeds on the program last night handed the title to United, had Alan stayed injury free we'd have won it that season too.

Great days, they can't take away our memories and we will come again, once the Venkys sod off. 

The Chicken Chokers and their apologists should be made to sit down and watch this series. So they can see just what they’ve destroyed. It wouldn’t do Mowbray any harm to watch it either.

• Like 3

utd did the double over us as well that season,both matches had shocking reffing,berg  sent off at ewood for a perfectly good tackle and shearer equalising at old trafford only to get it chalked off for a dubious push,it was clear the media and the premier league absolutely detested us for muscling in on utd`s patch,mind you,thats what the premier league was set up for,to keep the pesky smaller clubs like southampton,watford,forest etc ,all of who had been a thorn in the big clubs side in the 80`s,from ever challenging for the title again,slowly but surely it`s worked

• Like 2

Just watched it and as expected a ManUre homage.

I wonder how long they searched the archives for 3 thickos with no geographical knowledge of England? Not too long I suppose.

It confirmed my dislike for David Dein, Merson (what a feckin pleb!), Ferguson and all things red- except cars.

The Rovers bits were good, when they weren't insulting us, as was this shot which I screen grabbed. It is almost exactly the view I had from my Uncles scrap 'pen' entered from the top of Kirby Rd. I spent hours as a kid looking down at Ewood, dreaming, when I was supposed to be taking things apart. There weren't as many trees in the 60's though, it was a bit of a dump up there.

ewood Capture.JPG

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 9

On 07/09/2021 at 05:42, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember listening to the game on the radio and looking at my watch towards the end of that Utd v Sheffield Wed game. That’s when “ Fergie Time “ was invented.

7 minutes wasn't it? I remember that game vividly.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It is almost exactly the view I had from my Uncles scrap 'pen' entered from the top of Kirby Rd. I spent hours as a kid looking down at Ewood, dreaming, when I was supposed to be taking things apart. There weren't as many trees in the 60's though, it was a bit of a dump up there.

I had family that lived at Higher Croft and spent many hours in those fields dreaming of playing at Ewood one day. I used to watch the games from the hill when I was to young to attend and remember the scrap yard Asia.

Jumpers for goalposts 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Just watched it and as expected a ManUre homage.

I wonder how long they searched the archives for 3 thickos with no geographical knowledge of England? Not too long I suppose.

It confirmed my dislike for David Dein, Merson (what a feckin pleb!), Ferguson and all things red- except cars.

The Rovers bits were good, when they weren't insulting us, as was this shot which I screen grabbed. It is almost exactly the view I had from my Uncles scrap 'pen' entered from the top of Kirby Rd. I spent hours as a kid looking down at Ewood, dreaming, when I was supposed to be taking things apart. There weren't as many trees in the 60's though, it was a bit of a dump up there.

ewood Capture.JPG

It looks as if Ewood has been plonked in the middle of the countryside!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

The sad thing for me is, the two things that stick in my memory of Pederson are the missed header against Chelsea, and a dive at Arsesnal right in front of the Rovers fans. 

Not the two goals to beat Man Utd at Old Trafford or the last minute winner in front of the Dingles supporters at Ewood in the FA Cup?

Harsh.

• Like 4