BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Not the two goals to beat Man Utd at Old Trafford or the last minute winner in front of the Dingles supporters at Ewood in the FA Cup?

Harsh.

I was not being harsh, I was making a statement of fact, as it is for me. I was a great fan of Pederson, but those two events I mentioned are the ones that stick in my mind.

18 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Not the two goals to beat Man Utd at Old Trafford or the last minute winner in front of the Dingles supporters at Ewood in the FA Cup?

Or the left foot bullet from a Kuqi cross and that right wing corner to Tugay, both against Fulham?

• Like 2

On 09/09/2021 at 09:23, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He comes across as a very humble and level headed guy. Two great feet, all those years of practice paid off for him, he was genuinely two footed. You can’t say that about lots of players today.

He used to send my blood pressure through roof with his inability to beat the first man seemingly every time he took a corner, what was he doing on the training ground?

But a great club servant. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gav said:

He used to send my blood pressure through roof with his inability to beat the first man seemingly every time he took a corner, what was he doing on the training ground?

I remember him hitting viciously inswinging corners on a low trajectory just under the crossbar with pace , that caused keeper and defenders real problems.  Obviously there was no room for error.  His critics picked up on the errors.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, den said:

I remember him hitting viciously inswinging corners on a low trajectory just under the crossbar with pace , that caused keeper and defenders real problems.  Obviously there was no room for error.  His critics picked up on the errors.

Maybe your memory is better than mine den, or you sat in the posh seats and all this took place at the Darwen End.

I spoke to a Man Utd fan recently who told me Pedersen scored most of his goals from free kicks, actually he scored a few, but he was poor from set pieces in the main.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gav said:

Maybe your memory is better than mine den, or you sat in the better seats and all this took place at the Darwen End.

I spoke to a Man Utd fan recently who told me Pedersen scored most of his goals from free kicks, actually he scored a few, but he was poor from set pieces in the main.

Shows what Utd fans know. Don't count many free kicks in this - 3 or 4?

• Like 5

14 hours ago, JacknOry said:

He scored some great goals, nobody in our squad has that level of ability now, sadly.

Theses old clips eh? They manage to make you proud of what we were and distraught at what we have become---at the same time!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 2

Definitely taken for granted but how we could use somebody with an ounce of his quality now. Top lad too. 

He could place shots with either foot but I love how he loved to just smash it hard as he could at the keepers face - he got so many doing that.

22 hours ago, JacknOry said:

A superb player in his pomp, a good lad and not a minute's trouble and a devoted Rover

Lost a yard or two of pace as you'd expect in his final years and some people had a downer on him which he didn't deserve. 

I remember a match at Bolton in which the overweight and ineffectual Benni McCarthy was giving Pedersen all sorts of stick. Lots of players would have chinned McCarthy but Pedersen just took it

Hope he's doing well and making the most of the money he made in the game

• Like 4

On 10/09/2021 at 18:30, Gav said:

Maybe your memory is better than mine den, or you sat in the posh seats and all this took place at the Darwen End.

Just had a look and 8 of his 35 goals for Rovers were direct free-kicks.

I actually think he was very good on set pieces in the earlier years, but these got worse over the years.

He scored 3 direct free-kicks in 06/07 - followed by 4 in total over the next 6 seasons.

I reckon he was at his peak between about 2005 and 2008 for us.

Really enjoyed that. A fantastic episode. They've never liked the fact we went and won it, so not surprised they tried to go with the money angle.

Those really were two diabolical refereeing decisions in our games against that lot that season. Never a penalty, let alone a red for Berg and there was no foul from Shearer for the goal at Old Trafford.

On another note, the game needs more mavericks like Cantona. I miss the days of the characters and the flair players like Ginola, Ruel Fox, Bergkamp, Zola and so on. It's all too rigid these days.

9 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Really enjoyed that. A fantastic episode. They've never liked the fact we went and won it, so not surprised they tried to go with the money angle.

Those really were two diabolical refereeing decisions in our games against that lot that season. Never a penalty, let alone a red for Berg and there was no foul from Shearer for the goal at Old Trafford.

On another note, the game needs more mavericks like Cantona. I miss the days of the characters and the flair players like Ginola, Ruel Fox, Bergkamp, Zola and so on. It's all too rigid these days.

Yeah, they made out like nobody else had ever bought a top player.

10 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

That's how I remember those days too. The little Juninho fella at Boro, Klinsman, Di Canio, Asprilla, and Kanu could add to your list above. The Premier League did create the best league in the world but back then it was a splattering of the best foreign footballers. Preferred it then to how it is now by a country mile.

Edited by JacknOry