BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

2 hours ago, Gav said:

One for the older Rovers fans - Stoke City v Blackburn Rovers FA Cup 1961-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozjp18be1us

I remember it well. A Stoke fan tried to take the referee to court after the game for “ spoiling his enjoyment of the game “. It was on the news the Monday night after the game. Needless to say he didn’t get anywhere with the case.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gav said:

Thanks for that, Gav. 12 minutes of watching a cup-tie from 1962 was very informative. The pitches have improved dramatically but so has the quickness of the game. Lovely to watch Clayton, Douglas, Byrom, Pickering, McGrath and Woods again; not to mention Stanley Matthews.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember it well. A Stoke fan tried to take the referee to court after the game for “ spoiling his enjoyment of the game “. It was on the news the Monday night after the game. Needless to say he didn’t get anywhere with the case.

Yes, I was at that game too. Special train---so full we had to travel in the guards van reclining on sacks of stuff and parcels! Clear penalty as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gav said:

Interesting to see a young Keith Newton marking Sir Stanley, a crowd of 49,500, a 17 year old John Byrom, how tough a player Matt Woods was, a young Kenneth Wolstenholme commentating and Fred Pickering looking to take the penalty but then Duggie eventually taking  it.

The line-up looks to be: Else, Bray, Newton, Clayton, Woods, McGrath, Douglas, Lawther, Pickering, Byrom, Ratcliffe.

Barrie Ratcliffe was on the left wing and only played 30 odd games before moving on.

Ian Lawther, from Northern Ireland, was signed from Sunderland and played 60 odd games with around 20 goals (1 in 3).

This match took place in January 1962 and it is interesting to see the turnover of players from the disastrous 1960 Cup final when the team was: Leyland, Bray, Whelan, Clayton, Woods, McGrath, Bimpson, Dobing, Dougan, Douglas, McLeod.

Out of the 5 forwards only Duggie survived.

The team versus Stoke in January 1962 in that 4th Round FA Cup tie then developed into one of the best starting elevens to wear the famous blue and white, by the time they beat West Ham 8-2 at Upton Park on Boxing Day 1963. The team that day was: Else, Bray, Newton, Clayton, England, McGrath, Ferguson, McEvoy, Pickering, Douglas, Harrison.

Mike England replaced Matt Woods, Fergie replaced Duggie on the right wing, Duggie becoming more of an attacking inside left schemer, Andy McEvoy replaced Lawther and Mike Harrison replaced Barrie Ratcliffe.

Amazingly, Johnny ‘Budgie’ Byrne put West Ham 2-0 up early doors before goals from Pickering (3) McEvoy (3), Douglas, Ferguson meant an amazing turnaround. The return game at Ewood 48 hours later resulted in a 3-1 home defeat.

What would we give to see the whole 90 minutes of that win at Upton Park on video?

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

Interesting to see a young Keith Newton marking Sir Stanley, a crowd of 49,500, a 17 year old John Byrom, how tough a player Matt Woods was, a young Kenneth Wolstenholme commentating and Fred Pickering looking to take the penalty but then Duggie eventually taking  it.

The line-up looks to be: Else, Bray, Newton, Clayton, Woods, McGrath, Douglas, Lawther, Pickering, Byrom, Ratcliffe.

Barrie Ratcliffe was on the left wing and only played 30 odd games before moving on.

Ian Lawther, from Northern Ireland, was signed from Sunderland and played 60 odd games with around 20 goals (1 in 3).

This match took place in January 1962 and it is interesting to see the turnover of players from the disastrous 1960 Cup final when the team was: Leyland, Bray, Whelan, Clayton, Woods, McGrath, Bimpson, Dobing, Dougan, Douglas, McLeod.

Out of the 5 forwards only Duggie survived.

The team versus Stoke in January 1962 in that 4th Round FA Cup tie then developed into one of the best starting elevens to wear the famous blue and white, by the time they beat West Ham 8-2 at Upton Park on Boxing Day 1963. The team that day was: Else, Bray, Newton, Clayton, England, McGrath, Ferguson, McEvoy, Pickering, Douglas, Harrison.

Mike England replaced Matt Woods, Fergie replaced Duggie on the right wing, Duggie becoming more of an attacking inside left schemer, Andy McEvoy replaced Lawther and Mike Harrison replaced Barrie Ratcliffe.

Amazingly, Johnny ‘Budgie’ Byrne put West Ham 2-0 up early doors before goals from Pickering (3) McEvoy (3), Douglas, Ferguson meant an amazing turnaround. The return game at Ewood 48 hours later resulted in a 3-1 home defeat.

What would we give to see the whole 90 minutes of that win at Upton Park on video?

Ken Taylor was playing right back in the Stoke game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 47er said:

I've forgotten obviously but I didn't realise the crowd was so huge. I thought the standard of play surprisingly high, especially given the state of the pitch.

Given the state of the ball, boots and pitch the individual ball control in the old days was excellent. Especially from the forwards. Players could beat their opponents with ball skills in those days. Nothing like as much square passing, players were looking to get the ball forward ASAP. Lots of hours spent playing on the old cobbled streets with a tennis ball !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There’s a great Bryan Douglas goal in the other game on show v Spurs away.

Milk turned faster than Ronnie Clayton in the game against Wednesday.  Was he coming to the end in 1966 TS?

The Stoke game was my first as an away fan. My dad took me as an early 12th birthday present but I can’t remember how we travelled to Stoke. Must have been a coach. I remember the hype over Mathews playing though. 
1962 was also a memorable year as the first time a Rovers player appeared in Chile. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Milk turned faster than Ronnie Clayton in the game against Wednesday.  Was he coming to the end in 1966 TS?

When I did my back 35 odd years ago the osteopath/physio I consulted had been doing some work for Rovers in the mid 1960’s on a consultancy basis. He had rooms in Blackburn and Rochdale. We got to talking about the Sheffield Wed game. He told me that Ronnie had been suffering back trouble in the week before the game and he’d been having traction every day in an attempt to get him fit.

Traction, for those who don’t know, is were you get put in a rack like device and your body is pulled in two directions in an attempt to correct a disc problem. I speak from experience. I don’t think they do it now.

• Like 3

On 04/10/2021 at 15:56, oldjamfan1 said:

For anyone interested Mark Patterson’s book is being published next week. Available from here https://www.verticaleditions.com/

A7A9C2D4-030F-4DFA-AA06-E422FFC66F3B.jpeg

As an addition to this book, Patty has just done an Undr the Cosh podcast with plenty of Rovers anecdotes which can be found here 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

sheff wed fans all in the blackburn end and  rovers fans in the darwen end???whats all that about

Before 1960 Rovers fans used the Darwen End because it was covered. The Blackburn End was open to the elements. The money from the 1960 cup run was used to provide the cantilever roof over the Blackburn End.

• Like 3