BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

On 27/10/2021 at 08:51, arbitro said:

A really enjoyable listen. Is there a part two?

Very good that.

Little story about Mark. Probably around 2000 maybe 2001, my lad was doing a bit of weekly football training in Farnworth, near Bolton. He would have been about 11 years old. All the Dads who stayed to watch, used to have a chat, about various things. Most of them were Bolton fans and all knew, I was a Rovers fan.

One week when I arrived, one of the Dads saw me getting out of the car and said, the usual coach, isn’t here today, we have an ex Bolton player, so you won’t be happy will you?

I got into the changing room and who should the coach, be but Mark. I used to play in the same side, up to being about 14 so know Mark pretty well. All the Dads wondered what was going on, when we renewed acquaintances and swapped numbers. Not one of them knew, he was ex Rovers too and a Rovers fan.

I go along with his terrier story too by the way. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

The days when Rovers boasted a World Cup winner & a guy on loan from Barcelona in their ranks. This side really deserved promotion. Look out for Tim Parkin, Jimmy Quinn & Roy Wegerle (clean forgotten this...) in the Swindon side.

Just wonderful memories those.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

The days when Rovers boasted a World Cup winner & a guy on loan from Barcelona in their ranks. This side really deserved promotion. Look out for Tim Parkin, Jimmy Quinn & Roy Wegerle (clean forgotten this...) in the Swindon side.

I got badly injured in a pre season friendly that year. The unexpected bonus being that I was able to go to just about every game that season. It was one of my favourite seasons of watching the Rovers. That unbeaten run was fantastic. 
“We’ll take more care of you, Archibald”

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I got badly injured in a pre season friendly that year. The unexpected bonus being that I was able to go to just about every game that season. It was one of my favourite seasons of watching the Rovers. That unbeaten run was fantastic. 
“We’ll take more care of you, Archibald”

was it 23 unbeaten league games??,agreed it was a brilliant season,the first season my friends and i were allowed to go on our own,the home against against villa was a particular highlight,a packed blackburn end ,archibald and garner destroying them😇

• Like 3

I was at this game. We took my then 85 year old great, great uncle with us. He had lived in Wiltshire since the 1930s but still followed Rovers. Swindon was only down the road for him so it was really good to take him along. He gave me a bundle of stuff from the 1928 FA cup victory which he had attended. I treasure it to this day.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

I was at this game. We took my then 85 year old great, great uncle with us. He had lived in Wiltshire since the 1930s but still followed Rovers. Swindon was only down the road for him so it was really good to take him along. He gave me a bundle of stuff from the 1928 FA cup victory which he had attended. I treasure it to this day.

That’s what supporting a team like Rovers is all about, handed down from generation to generation. Something that the likes of our owners and many more owners will never, ever understand. 

• Like 2

What a great listen - thanks Andy. It's a very open, honest account from Mark without any embellishments as any Darreners know. It was also quite poignant when he spoke about his dad and his passing. I remember his mum,  dad and brothers and they were a proper working class family,  something Mark has never forgotten. I hope the book sales do him proud. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

What a great listen - thanks Andy. It's a very open, honest account from Mark without any embellishments as any Darreners know. It was also quite poignant when he spoke about his dad and his passing. I remember his mum,  dad and brothers and they were a proper working class family,  something Mark has never forgotten. I hope the book sales do him proud. 

My dad worked with his dad Tony. It was a terrible shock when KP passed away and Patty isn’t much younger now than Keith was when he died, which is a sobering thought. 
Sales seem to be going very well, which is great. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

a billy whitehurst podcast would be fantastic😆,love to see a garner one as well

• Like 3

On 27/10/2021 at 05:46, bazza said:

Before 1960 Rovers fans used the Darwen End because it was covered. The Blackburn End was open to the elements. The money from the 1960 cup run was used to provide the cantilever roof over the Blackburn End.

When did Rovers stop fans changing ends at half time?