BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

18 hours ago, Gav said:

Rovers vrs Liverpool FA Cup 1983 at a packed Ewood which looks superb and what a Liverpool side.

Brilliant.

Rag tag Rovers v. the best team in England. 

How old does everybody look? Players, fans, the lot. There has to be a psychological explanation for it. I was a young kid in 1983, I am years older now than anyone who was on the pitch yet they all seem old.

17 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Brilliant.

How old does everybody look? Players, fans, the lot. There has to be a psychological explanation for it. I was a young kid in 1983, I am years older now than anyone who was on the pitch yet they all seem old.

Tell you what stuck me speeeeedie, the lack of colour in the crowd, beige and black coats, the red, white and blue Rovers scarves on Riverside stand out a treat in this beige throng of people.

28 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Brilliant.

https://twitter.com/80sAging?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Great Twitter account on your very point!

19 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Wow. Hello 1983! 

I can't tell you how long I've been hoping to see that match again. What a blast from the past. £2.20 on the turnstiles but this was an all ticket affair with police limiting the crowd to around 23 thousand. 

Sgt Alan Holt outside the ground with his megaphone,  adverts for Cowies and a veteran Norman Bell miscontrolling the ball up front. Terry Gennoe still in his late 20's and a young raw David Mail (he later became an old raw David Mail) struggling to control the Liverpool number 7 who I don't remember hearing from again.

Souness typically brutal, this time against his old Spurs roommate and Branagan with a couple of trademark rough tackles. Garner showing that he was playing in the wrong division and no sign of Barker or Keeley who I would have wanted in my starting lineup for very different reasons in a fixture like this. 

I would have been 11 years old, standing on the wall at the front of the Riverside, clinging onto the railings and making sure not to jump off into the huge overflowing river of piss beneath my feet. During the ten minute half time break I would have bought a packet of spearmint sold in a blister pack and only seen at Rovers. I would then quickly check that the usual assortment of interesting characters were knocking about as I liked to every home match. These included the jam jar bottomed glasses man, sweary man and one legged man. I would then excitedly tell my Dad and Grandad about Garner's sublime goal in great detail before wading back through the piss.

With this being a televised match against a superior team, I would watch us lose valiantly and therefore set a pattern for the decade ahead.

Really chuffed to finally see this again!

The smell of Bovril and Woodbines drifting across the terraces...lovely warm memories.Golden.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Tell you what stuck me speeeeedie, the lack of colour in the crowd, beige and black coats, the red, white and blue Rovers scarves on Riverside stand out a treat in this beige throng of people.

There were lots of things that struck me. I see all sorts of old footage but that video somehow has more in it.

They don't look at all physically like modern day footballers.  

The way the keepers booted it. 

Windy Miller's job to get as wide as possible and cross it.

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

There are some frighteners in there. Blimey.

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

The smell of Bovril and Woodbines drifting across the terraces...lovely warm memories.Golden.

my dad always took us in the blackburn end,i can remember the waft of stale beer,hot pies,cigar smoke, the waft of urine from those disgusting toilets and men shouting swear words that were certainly non pc🙂,loved it

• Like 1

I had my first legal pint before that Liverpool game.

I watched the game from the Darwen End with the scousers as my mate was an LFC fan and we wanted to stand together (he won the toss!) and by God it took me all my willpower not to celebrate when Garns opened the scoring. 

That was the second time in 3 or 4 years we ran a great Liverpool side close in the FA Cup.

Wonderful memories.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Not the greatest footage, Rovers V Newcastle in Isle of Man 1986

2-2 27th July 1986.

Rovers Team

O’Keefe

Branagan, Keeley, Fazackerly, Rathbone

Miller, Barker, Sellers, Patterson

Quinn, Garner.

subs not used  Gennoe, Mail, Ainscow, Brotherston, Diamond

Scorers Quinn 2.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

2-2 27th July 1986.

Rovers Team

O’Keefe

Branagan, Kelley, Fazackerly, Rathbone

Miller, Barker, Sellers, Patterson

Quinn, Garner.

subs not used  Gennoe, Mail, Ainscow, Brotherston, Diamond

Scorers Quinn 2.

I think that was the tour when Patty had just got married about 3 weeks earlier and 'forgot' to ring his missus for three days ha ha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I think that was the tour when Patty had just got married about 3 weeks earlier and 'forgot' to ring his missus for three days ha ha.

I was thinking exactly the same when Tyrone posted the team, was Tony Christie in the crowd that day? Supporting Newcastle no doubt 😄

Anyone of a certain vintage who hasn't listened to the Mark Patterson podcast should do so, excellent stuff. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gav said:

I was thinking exactly the same when Tyrone posted the team, was Tony Christie in the crowd that day? Supporting Newcastle no doubt 😄

Anyone of a certain vintage who hasn't listened to the Mark Patterson podcast should do so, excellent stuff. 

If you could bring back one player in that team at the height of their powers to play for us now, who would it be ? I think I’d have to go for Garner but Sellers and Barker will have their fans.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you could bring back one player in that team at the height of their powers to play for us now, who would it be ? I think I’d have to go for Garner but Sellers and Barker will have their fans.

This might be controversial, but Fazackerly installed as captain at the heart of the defence, to lead this young side down the home straight would be my choice. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gav said:

Yeah he was and yes indeed, if you haven't seen the Undr the Cosh featuring Patty you can find it on YouTube - its a two parter. Happy days!

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we were talking generally it would be Garner but if it was specifically to help this team I'd go for Faz, Gennoe or Barker, all class acts.

24 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

If we were talking generally it would be Garner but if it was specifically to help this team I'd go for Faz, Gennoe or Barker, all class acts.

Does this team need Garner? Brereton is banging them in.

Based on last week I'd have Baz Rathbone. If not, I'd have Barker in midfield. The current back 3 are pretty solid.

50 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Does this team need Garner? Brereton is banging them in.

Based on last week I'd have Baz Rathbone. If not, I'd have Barker in midfield. The current back 3 are pretty solid.

Playing him in goal? 

• Like 1

Shamelessly nicked from a local Facebook site. April 1960, a month before the FA Cup final. What would this team be worth today? Millions  upon millions..

Bryan Douglas, Ronnie Clayton, Dave Whelan, Mick McGrath, Matt Woods, Peter Dobing, Derek Dougan, Ally MacLeod, Louis Bimpson, John Bray, Eddie Thomas,  Harry Leyland.

9B801A7F-7C32-4509-BA51-F59EB0BBBEF6.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Shamelessly nicked from a local Facebook site. April 1960, a month before the FA Cup final. What would this team be worth today? Millions  upon millions..

Bryan Douglas, Ronnie Clayton, Dave Whelan, Mick McGrath, Matt Woods, Peter Dobing, Derek Dougan, Ally MacLeod, Louis Bimpson, John Bray, Eddie Thomas,  Harry Leyland.

9B801A7F-7C32-4509-BA51-F59EB0BBBEF6.jpeg

Just look at the boots ! How did they play in those, they’re more suited to working in a foundry.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just look at the boots ! How did they play in those, they’re more suited to working in a foundry.

Wooden nailed-in studs or metal? I got my first football injury aged 11 from a lad wearing his dad's boots. A nail from one of the studs was sticking out and gave me a nasty gash down the leg. "An old-fashioned injury" the schoolteacher said. 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Too right. Players wore Adidas in the 1958 World Cup but it wasn’t until the 1962 competition that the style of Adidas boots morphed into the more modern version and what became the ‘industry standard.’