BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

Funny how things stick in your mind. I was at the Hull City game, at Ewood, in April 1967 that Rovers won 4-1. I was with my uncle and we were sat on the front row of the Riverside stand. A couple of women had long, hand knitted blue and white scarves dangling down from the front row, next to us and a couple of Hull supporters on the terrace below were trying to nick the scarves by pulling them down. My uncle had a brolly and succeeded in leaning over and whacking them away and the scarves remained in Rovers’ hands lol.

F1B41C3D-D01A-4F99-86C0-C149A7E954B8.jpeg

• Like 7

The old Riverside looks more impressive than the new one. In the days when they used to allow such things, along with alot of other kids I used to sit on wooden benches in front of the wall on the Riverside. I was right behind Andy McEvoy when he rifled in the winning goal into the corner of the net against Charlton in the 1966-67 season (IIRC) and throwing the ball to Keith Newton for him to take a throw-in. Memories from 50 years so vivid yet events last year can't remember a thing

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Funny how things stick in your mind. I was at the Hull City game, at Ewood, in April 1967 that Rovers won 4-1. I was with my uncle and we were sat on the front row of the Riverside stand. A couple of women had long, hand knitted blue and white scarves dangling down from the front row, next to us and a couple of Hull supporters on the terrace below were trying to nick the scarves by pulling them down. My uncle had a brolly and succeeded in leaning over and whacking them away and the scarves remained in Rovers’ hands lol.

F1B41C3D-D01A-4F99-86C0-C149A7E954B8.jpeg

Smashing picture of the grand old Riverside.

• Like 2

• J*B unpinned this topic
On 16/01/2022 at 21:09, Friarsnig said:

One abiding memory though was at full time as the Rovers fans tried to make their way towards the exit tunnels - the crush was frighteningly tight and it became impossible to even lift your arms up. As the crowd from left and right merged together toward the exit my mate in front of me could see that a bloke with a lit cigarette between his lips was heading straight for him, unable to remove it. Inevitably they became squashed together face to face, the hot end of the lit fag finding its target right in the middle of my mate's chin. He sported a fine burn mark under his bottom lip for the next couple of weeks, and a couple more on his chest where the burning embers had fallen down inside the front of his t-shirt. 

I remember leaving the Blackburn End through the large exit to Nuttall Street and the crowd was so thick and crushed I was lifted off my feet and carried for about two metres. My feet didn't touch the ground. It was a weird feeling.

On 18/01/2022 at 22:47, 47er said:

I'm old enough to remember the day we scored 9 against Middlesborough at Ewood.

The fog that day was incredible. We were certain the game would be called off.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/13329937.record-breakers-thrilling-1954-55-season-just-start-blackburn-rovers-legend-bryan-douglas/

I was lucky to be there, too. My dad didn't always take me to Ewood but I was there for the 9-0, the 8-3 win v Bristol R when Briggs got his 7 and the 6-0 revenge win v Lincoln C.  I missed out on the 7-1 win over Spurs in Sept 1963 being in the process of travelling back by train from a holiday in Tarragona, Spain at the time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bazza said:

I remember leaving the Blackburn End through the large exit to Nuttall Street and the crowd was so thick and crushed I was lifted off my feet and carried for about two metres. My feet didn't touch the ground. It was a weird feeling.

I was lucky to be there, too. My dad didn't always take me to Ewood but I was there for the 9-0, the 8-3 win v Bristol R when Briggs got his 7 and the 6-0 revenge win v Lincoln C.  I missed out on the 7-1 win over Spurs in Sept 1963 being in the process of travelling back by train from a holiday in Tarragona, Spain at the time.

You missed the best Rovers performance in my lifetime.

• Like 3

On 22/01/2022 at 23:16, bazza said:

Part timer 😀

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

The old Riverside Terrace and Stand towered above the current excuse,double the height at least.

I do believe I witnessed my first ever Rovers game from those heights.

image.png.48fcd4e6274a01c2c1826971a83694f0.png

My first recollection of a Rovers match was sitting in the upper tier of the Riverside stand with my dad watching the 2nd leg of the 1959 F.A. Youth Cup final. My grandad was a steward there and made sure we had the best view, front row towards the Darwen End. I don’t remember the game itself, just the atmosphere with 28,500 fans cheering on the likes of Keith Newton, Mike England and Fred Pickering. For the Hammers they had future stalwart Harry Cripps and a couple of others who went on to play a vital part of England’s finest victory 7 years later, namely, Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst. We won the game 1-0 in extra time, giving us a 2-1 aggregate win, that after the Rovers ‘keeper making a vital penalty save early on.

Aah, the memories.......

Rovers team :- Griffiths, Wells, Pickering, England, Newton, Leach, Ratcliffe, Bradshaw, Jervis, Daly(scorer), Mulvey.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Riversider28 said:

My first recollection of a Rovers match was sitting in the upper tier of the Riverside stand with my dad watching the 2nd leg of the 1959 F.A. Youth Cup final. My grandad was a steward there and made sure we had the best view, front row towards the Darwen End. I don’t remember the game itself, just the atmosphere with 28,500 fans cheering on the likes of Keith Newton, Mike England and Fred Pickering. For the Hammers they had future stalwart Harry Cripps and a couple of others who went on to play a vital part of England’s finest victory 7 years later, namely, Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst. We won the game 1-0 in extra time, giving us a 2-1 aggregate win, that after the Rovers ‘keeper making a vital penalty save early on.

Aah, the memories.......

Rovers team :- Griffiths, Wells, Pickering, England, Newton, Leach, Ratcliffe, Bradshaw, Jervis, Daly(scorer), Mulvey.

Wells, Leach and Ratcliffe all ended up playing for my adopted town team of Rochdale. They did a Fred Pickering with Wells and moved him to centre forward from fullback. He started scoring goals for fun in the reserves and he was on the verge of getting picked to play there in the first team when he broke his leg. He never played again after that.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

I’m sure many of us will never forget this night out in Preston, one Jack Walker. A proper club run by proper footballing people, not a contract rebel in sight. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 6

35 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

we went bananas in the pub,p****d off all the bolton fans as well,they soon slunk off home😁

We went on the ale at lunchtime in penwortham, then caught the train into Preston and ended up in The Fox at Ewood after the game. 

Great day, promotions don’t come around that often as Blackburn Rovers fans, we should embrace them. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Aye, Arsenal away, pretty much filled the old Clock End, handed a beating, but good craic anyway… then went to Birmingham and beat them with a Duff masterclass a few days later. 

that duff goal was pure class ☺️we outclassed birmingham so badly they faltered and only just made the play offs