SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Our starting eleven could be

Hilton

Bennett, Mulgrew, Wharton, Bell

Rankin-Costello, Davenport, Evans, Rothwell 

Holtby Brereton

Subs: Buckley, Carter, Williams, Brennan, Lyle Taylor, Chapman, Johnson. 

If Dack, Armstrong, Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis and Gallagher will be sold along with Tosin, Downing, Samuel, Graham and Walton leaving. 

Edited by neophox

3 minutes ago, neophox said:

Hilton

Holtby Brereton

If Dack, Armstrong, Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis and Gallagher will be sold along with Tosin, Downing, Samuel, Graham and Walton leaving. 

Jesus christ neophox, I don't think anybody is suggesting it will get that bad!!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, neophox said:

Hilton

Holtby Brereton

What. June 2016 revisited?

IMO, a damning state of affairs:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18580317.dont-assume-anything---mowbray-rovers-contract-plans/

I think Mowbray is paving the way - I would give you very, very short odds on his last two 'options' here:

“Whether we can do that because we have some budget to go and buy some players, or whether we need to create some budget by letting players go and using their salary levels, or whether we have to cut the budget and promote some young players.”

You draw your own conclusions.

There is something in this because he always starts dropping these hints this time of year. A few weeks down the line he usually totally contradicts himself though.

Won't stop him retaining his favourite under achievers either.

Some clues in there as to how he operates and how this set up is that boil my piss a bit  'It's not about us it's about them'.

The guy needs to go and replace Gordon Taylor he's so concerned about keeping every footballer in wages regardless of whether they are any use whatsoever to this clubs aspirations. "I spend owners money wisely" - but i'll keep on all sorts of not up to the job bodies because we like them and don't want them left out in the big wide world but they can go if they've sorted themselves a better deal elsewhere.

Honestly - f### ### !!!    He talks of trying to improve but will not ruthlessly use all his resources for the alleged common goal. Then we'll be a few quid short again when it comes to wages for a decent goalie or defender because Uncle Tony prefers to share the pot around his lesser lights. 

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 6

"Mowbray says he hasn’t made any promises to those whose deals are up for renewal, and can’t without knowing his budget for next season from owners Venky’s."

I know they have other considerations at the moment but the continued lack of forward planning , communication and genuine interest from the owners always puts us at a disadvantage. I am sure they don't run their other business interests like this. Why do they bother?

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Mercer said:

IMO, a damning state of affairs:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18580317.dont-assume-anything---mowbray-rovers-contract-plans/

I think Mowbray is paving the way - I would give you very, very short odds on his last two 'options' here:

“Whether we can do that because we have some budget to go and buy some players, or whether we need to create some budget by letting players go and using their salary levels, or whether we have to cut the budget and promote some young players.”

You draw your own conclusions.

I'd be delighted if we had to promote young players. You can bet your bottom dollar though that the only reason Mowbray is hoping for a decent budget is so that he can hand out new deals to the out of contract players whereas in reality Downing is the only one who should possibly be under consideration.

And even he with the best will in the world isn't of the quality now that would get us promoted, but hopefully would be a solid squad option for twelve more months.

23 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

just my opinion and based on that Mowbray wanted this European scouting network in place. So surely its time we used to make signings from otherwise it is a waste of time. 

Have to say that in my time of watching football, the standard of goalkeeping has never been worse. 

Every game I watch seems to have a howler or two, and I am convinced it is due to the way managers now want keepers to be better with their feet than their hands. 

Just keep the ball out of the bloody net! 

Oh for big Brad. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tugayisgod said:

Have to say that in my time of watching football, the standard of goalkeeping has never been worse. 

Every game I watch seems to have a howler or two, and I am convinced it is due to the way managers now want keepers to be better with their feet than their hands. 

Just keep the ball out of the bloody net! 

Oh for big Brad. 

Yes the standard of keeper over the last 10 years as gone alot worse. 

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd be delighted if we had to promote young players. You can bet your bottom dollar though that the only reason Mowbray is hoping for a decent budget is so that he can hand out new deals to the out of contract players whereas in reality Downing is the only one who should possibly be under consideration.

And even he with the best will in the world isn't of the quality now that would get us promoted, but hopefully would be a solid squad option for twelve more months.

we will need a bit of luck this summer in transfer dealings, Hopefully the owners give us a little something to work with, or Player sales of Josh King could help, If this side is to push on we may need to sacrifice an asset to help

Is woodman on loan at Swansea? Would take him over Walton next season

Rhodes instead of graham who will have his transfer fee to Sheffield weds fully amortised in the summer so Sheffield weds can now offload for free without writing any further value off and affecting ffp. 

I would also take Kieran Ohara the young goalie released by Man Utd, him and Hilton to battle for no. 2. Two caps for EIRE already and about 100 league one And two appearances. Including player of the year at Macclesfield. Played forty times last year at burton. 6.3 tall too so he has the height, I hope we can at least trial him.

Woodman

Ohara Or Macgilvan from Pompey 

Hilton 

Would be a uplift on our current keepers and probs cost the same?

George tanner released too, think we were linked in January? Ethan Hamilton too who also did well at Bolton.

Edited by Scotland1

If Graham and Dack as a partnership isn't going to make a return (whether Graham leaves, Dack leaves or we just don't go that way anymore), I can't see why 4-2-3-1 would make a return either.

The real question is that if 4-3-3 is the new way forward to get the best out of Rothwell, Armstrong, Travis and Davenport... then how does Dack slot in?
Do you go for it and play him a striker and see how he gets on, or drop him deeper into the middle three and he's Downing's natural replacement?

Just now, JoeH said:

If Graham and Dack as a partnership isn't going to make a return (whether Graham leaves, Dack leaves or we just don't go that way anymore), I can't see why 4-2-3-1 would make a return either.

The real question is that if 4-3-3 is the new way forward to get the best out of Rothwell, Armstrong, Travis and Davenport... then how does Dack slot in?
Do you go for it and play him a striker and see how he gets on, or drop him deeper into the middle three and he's Downing's natural replacement?

It makes no sense to move away because our best player is a number 10, ie Dack. Graham or no Graham, you cant be playing your best player out of position. Hes tried and struggled in the false 9 role just as Holtby did. He is never a central midfielder in a million years, he is a goalscorer.

Holtby is also important and again is a number 10. As is Buckley.

• Like 1

Just now, JoeH said:

Quite simple really because it gets our most dangerous goal threat in his best and most effective position.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Kind of agree I prefer 4-4-2 , 4-3-3 4-5-1 4-2-3-1 are all the same formation with attacking and defending and all are prone to pace out wide and counter attacks.

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It makes no sense to move away because our best player is a number 10, ie Dack. Graham or no Graham, you cant be playing your best player out of position. Hes tried and struggled in the false 9 role just as Holtby did. He is never a central midfielder in a million years, he is a goalscorer.

Holtby is also important and again is a number 10. As is Buckley.

Big question where does Dack fit into this 4-3-3 formation if that's going to be the way we set up next season

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Is woodman on loan at Swansea? Would take him over Walton next season

I would also take Kieran Ohara the young goalie released by Man Utd, him and Hilton to battle for no. 2. Two caps for EIRE already and about 100 league one And two appearances. Including player of the year at Macclesfield. Played forty times last year at burton. 6.3 tall too so he has the height, I hope we can at least trial him.

Woodman

Ohara Or Macgilvan from Pompey 

Hilton 

We were to link to O'Hara a couple of weeks ago. 

Woodman has 12 months left on his contract. Plus Bruce has signed Mark Gillespie from Motherwell to be 3rd choice next season so don't know where he fits in. If he was available I would imagine Swansea would want him. He knows Cooper very well from under 19's days with England

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Big question where does Dack fit into this 4-3-3 formation if that's going to be the way we set up next season

Woodman has 12 months left on his contract. Plus Bruce has signed Mark Gillespie from Motherwell to be 3rd choice next season so don't know where he fits in. If he was available I would imagine Swansea would want him. He knows Cooper very well from under 19's days with England

Not seen the Ohara links but hope we take a look, thanks.

Dack doesn’t, hes gone for me. He’s not signed his contract he’s fit end of August. Time to listen to offers so we ensure we get some money for him rather than zero. He’s 12mths left under contract.

Edited by Scotland1

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Simple. We dont play 433 when it doesnt suit our best player.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Dack doesn’t, hes gone for me. He’s not signed his contract he’s fit end of August. Time to listen to offers so we ensure we get some money for him rather than zero.

Linked a couple of weeks ago. 

Dack has 12 months left his contract with 12 months club option. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Simple. We dont play 433 when it doesnt suit our best player.

Will Dack be here by then? 

5 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Dack doesn’t, hes gone for me. He’s not signed his contract he’s fit end of August. Time to listen to offers so we ensure we get some money for him rather than zero.

Don't agree, give him a pay rise until the summer 21 and go for promotion with him. He only cost 750k anyway.  We need quality to get promoted. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Don't agree, give him a pay rise until the summer 21 and go for promotion with him. He only cost 750k anyway.  We need quality to get promoted. 

He’s no intention of signing that is pretty clear. Wanted a moved to wba before his injury.

if chaddy is correct that the club has another option then that’s a game changer but I’ve seen nothing official to suggest so Maybe one for the LET paper to ask Tony? We were going to sell in January for the ffp calculations before his injury. Now with COVID this could actually help keep him.

Edited by Scotland1