BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

To put it simply there seems to be 2 reasons to use loans.

Add extra quality/ competition to an established squad to achieve promotion (i.e. Leeds/ West Brom/ Fulham)

or

Plug holes where you can't find/ afford (or aren't permitted to sign) permanent players in order to survive or finish mid table (i.e. QPR/ Blackburn) 

It's hard to justify the latter as a good way to run a business, although yes as fans it's nice to get to watch better quality players. If this summer is spent loaning players to plug the same holes as last year, we won't achieve promotion and won't be any closer next year... but we will still have spent a significant amount of money.

If we are serious about promotion then we need to sign and loan players now. We have a "bigger than most" task already because of last summers failures, let's not make it a yearly thing.

I'm hoping to see some good permanent signings over the next couple of weeks from England and abroad, otherwise the manager and his scouts need to go. In my opinion the same finish as last year with more permanent players would be progress but I want more, including loans that aren't just to keep us ticking over.

Today we are miles off and need to start demonstrating some new ideas.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-goalkeeper-iversen-transfers-18752422.amp

This article mentions that talks for Phillips have fizzled out, with Charlton demanding a fee of 800k plus.

800k? Just fucking pay them and have done with it if that's true. The lad is 25 and just had the second best shot-stopping ratio in the league. If we think he is good enough, we are talking less than 100k a year for him for the rest of his career to have the position potentially sewn up. And quite possibly a profit of course. I think we'd all be happy to get him at that price, especially if we were still looking for further competition there.

Someone ought to tell Tony and Waggott that he's a young striker they'd soon have the cheque book out then.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Richard Oakley said:

Yes @chaddyrovers Mowbray told us we needed 2 goalkeepers, LB and CB this time last year. Not even Nixon is that slow on the uptake. Where's this idea that we're in for a first team goalscoring forward come from? Gallagher played as a front man or of 2, we'd have the proven goalscorer we need.

Chaddy won't let you bad mouth nixon. He hangs off his every word. He's the gullible type , which is nixons target audience!!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://sport-90.de/hamburger-sv-und-blackburn-rovers-an-philipp-hofmann-dran

Unsure how reputable this is, it needs translating too but a link to Hofmann.

https://www.mylondon.news/sport/football/transfer-news/brentford-boss-what-went-wrong-13219230

Also a bit on why things didnt go right at Brentford, including that he wasnt physically in good shape.

Would be a weird one, maybe agent talk. Last season he scored quite a few goals, before then, not so many, he is a target man so not really fitting in with Mowbrays supposed "vision" and he would cost a decent fee. Would also potentially mean Armstrong out wide, unless he is going.

Anyone know enough German to figure out what this says. Looking at the other article he could be one to avoid. 

Nothing wrong with loan signings if they are to help us progress. They are often the key to successful promotion sides. Even back in 2001, for all the young talent we had available we still brought Mahon and Berkovic in on loan through the season to give us an extra bit of quality. Especially Berkovic during that run in.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-goalkeeper-iversen-transfers-18752422.amp

This article mentions that talks for Phillips have fizzled out, with Charlton demanding a fee of 800k plus.

800k? Just fucking pay them and have done with it if that's true. The lad is 25 and just had the second best shot-stopping ratio in the league. If we think he is good enough, we are talking less than 100k a year for him for the rest of his career to have the position potentially sewn up. And quite possibly a profit of course. I think we'd all be happy to get him at that price, especially if we were still looking for further competition there.

This was precisely my thinking when I read that! There's a fair chance its all nonsense I suppose, but if its true and the quoted price is £800k then we are either brassic or clueless. How little do they expect a club to charge for an established championship goalkeeper with age on his side? 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

does`nt exactly show ambition does it,if it`s true that is

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Probably not because they'll be stuck behind another new raft of loan players in the pecking order!

I remember Madame saying soon after taking over the Club that they couldn't understand why players were owned rather than leased or loaned and we're seeing that increasingly here now.

I think Joe H is absolutely spot on regarding the question of loans. Years ago they were used relatively sparingly, not to form the core of your business. You just need one or two to put the icing on the cake, but only after  you've completed your permanent business and ideally the loanees should be absolutely stellar players way above the level of the rest of the side and beyond what you could afford on a permanent basis. The perfect example of this at Rovers was the sensational signings of Archibald and Ardilles on loan which would be roughly equivalent of bringing in Aguero and David Silve now, so obviously that sort of thing is a different matter entirely.

The likes of Tosin and Cunningham were decent maybe even very good players but not that sensational that they completely transformed our fortunes as witnessed by our defensive record and another extremely disappointing League finish. It also really annoys me when players are brought in on loan to pad out the squad and then either are hardly ever used or utilised simply to sit on the bench like Mo Barrow, Chapman, Palmer and even Reed at various points over the years. What's the point in that and what must the Academy lads think when their chance is blocked in this manner?

And look at the situation now the loanees have gone back. We have no keeper, one centre half and no decent left back. How can that be viewed as anything else but regression? As Joe says, it matters not really whether you finish 7th or 20th as long as you're making progress towards the following season but what would we have been better doing, loaning the players and finishing 11th or giving the likes of Wharton and another youngster at LB a season's experience going forward and finishing 18th?

I'd say obviously the latter. It's a no brainer for me, I cant even understand why it's up for debate.

Thank you for formulating this in a way I massively struggled to do so. Excellent post.

11 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Anyone know enough German to figure out what this says. Looking at the other article he could be one to avoid. 

It doesn’t matter what it says. If he comes we have to judge him on how he plays for us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Spot on. If he's the one you want, pay the fee and have done with it.

This pattern of missing out on targets because we're seemingly unrealistic about how much the selling Club will ask for or are unaware of how much players are on seems to be a recurrent theme and smacks of lack of professionalism and foresight. As does the apparent policy of hoping Clubs will suddenly cut asking prices for no apparent reason or do you a favour and loan you a player AND pay most of his wages at the last minute.

Probably demonstrates how bare the coffers actually are if we cant manage either a fee of around 800k for a permanent deal or a loanee on relatively high wages.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Reading on my laptop it allowed me to directly translate, here is the bit mentioning us (With some hilarious translation)

In addition, there should now also be a request from England. Blackburn Rovers is traded as a possible buyer in the transfer market rumor mill. The club from the 2nd division (Championship) ended the season in 12th place and is apparently looking for reinforcements in the attack.

Philipp Hofmann would be such a man, because last season he helped keep KSC in the 2nd division with his 17 goals . So he knows where the gate is and that has now apparently been heard on the island.

23 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Nothing wrong with loan signings if they are to help us progress. They are often the key to successful promotion sides. Even back in 2001, for all the young talent we had available we still brought Mahon and Berkovic in on loan through the season to give us an extra bit of quality. Especially Berkovic during that run in.

Yep, like I said, in that instance it was the "icing on the cake" that little bit extra to get us over the line.

We only have five elevenths of a cake! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rigger said:

It doesn’t matter what it says. If he comes we have to judge him on how he plays for us.

Absolutely I agree. I would back him as I still continue to back Brereton, in the vain hope he actually comes good. Just wondered how concrete the reportcomes across in English, or whether it was the German answer to Alan nixon talking bollocks. 

At the risk of being chastised for using data, I posted a comparison of our Squad Age vs Playing Time against Preston North End under the same metrics on social media. You can see just how dispersed we are, with young players pre-peak getting a lot of game time, and a huge chunk in the bottom right for players in the post-peak stage of their careers.

Preston boast a very even side, with older and younger players getting less game time, and the players in their supposed "prime" filling out most of the apps. Those central right based white dots speak volumes about where their squad is currently sitting at vs where the Rovers squad currently sits.

Bearing in mind that Rovers are set to lose three blue dots from this list, in central-ish areas, it doesn't make for amazing viewing if the goal is long-term planning.

212150493_PrestonvsBlackburn.thumb.png.44d4548748ff94726490023a2204726b.png

Whilst having a big chunk of players sat in the pre-peak section for Rovers isn't a bad thing, there's always the unpredictability of whether they will or won't succeed as Championship footballers. See Joe Rankin-Costello, John Buckley and so-forth. In 2019/20 we had twice as many players on the books in their "post-peak" phase than Preston North End did. 

This of course becomes even more fascinating when you look at the spending habits of both sides. Preston have spent a total sum of £1.9m in the last calendar year. They have continued with their development of younger players and seen them transition into the "Peak" section. Spending less than a third that Rovers spent, Preston finished two places better off in the final 2019/20 Championship standings. 

Preston head into 2020/21 with a solid back four, a high standard pairing at CB in Bauer and Davies, and a set of first team goalkeepers. They haven't had to break the bank to manage this, they have simply set their targets, gone after the players they wanted and got deals over the line nice and early. They picked up Patrick Bauer on a cheaper deal mainly because they acted more swiftly and shrewdly than the rest of the market (which included us). They managed a Scott Sinclair loan which really helped them push on this season, and with his contract up they'll likely grab him on a free for the new season too which is some very shrewd management. 

I'm not saying that Preston, only two places above us, are a God like entity we should be striving to replicate. We have a far superior set up at Brockhall, with better facilities, coaching and a far superior youth development program. Preston don't even boast an Under 23's team and have just lost their entire Under 18's crop. There are certainly areas however, most importantly their transfer policies and their ability to sign players in their peak, that we should definitely be trying to emulate if we're to succeed going forward.

Just now, JoeH said:

At the risk of being chastised for using data, I posted a comparison of our Squad Age vs Playing Time against Preston North End under the same metrics on social media. You can see just how dispersed we are, with young players pre-peak getting a lot of game time, and a huge chunk in the bottom right for players in the post-peak stage of their careers.

Preston boast a very even side, with older and younger players getting less game time, and the players in their supposed "prime" filling out most of the apps. Those central right based white dots speak volumes about where their squad is currently sitting at vs where the Rovers squad currently sits.

Bearing in mind that Rovers are set to lose three blue dots from this list, in central-ish areas, it doesn't make for amazing viewing if the goal is long-term planning.

Whilst having a big chunk of players sat in the pre-peak section for Rovers isn't a bad thing, there's always the unpredictability of whether they will or won't succeed as Championship footballers. See Joe Rankin-Costello, John Buckley and so-forth. In 2019/20 we had twice as many players on the books in their "post-peak" phase than Preston North End did. 

This of course becomes even more fascinating when you look at the spending habits of both sides. Preston have spent a total sum of £1.9m in the last calendar year. They have continued with their development of younger players and seen them transition into the "Peak" section. Spending less than a third that Rovers spent, Preston finished two places better off in the final 2019/20 Championship standings. 

Preston head into 2020/21 with a solid back four, a high standard pairing at CB in Bauer and Davies, and a set of first team goalkeepers. They haven't had to break the bank to manage this, they have simply set their targets, gone after the players they wanted and got deals over the line nice and early. They picked up Patrick Bauer on a cheaper deal mainly because they acted more swiftly and shrewdly than the rest of the market (which included us). They managed a Scott Sinclair loan which really helped them push on this season, and with his contract up they'll likely grab him on a free for the new season too which is some very shrewd management. 

I'm not saying that Preston, only two places above us, are a God like entity we should be striving to replicate. We have a far superior set up at Brockhall, with better facilities, coaching and a far superior youth development program. Preston don't even boast an Under 23's team and have just lost their entire Under 18's crop. There are certainly areas however, most importantly their transfer policies and their ability to sign players in their peak, that we should definitely be trying to emulate if we're to succeed going forward.

Good post.

I have commented in the past many times that the way forward would have been to add one or two peak age performers to go straight into the first eleveneach transfer window but to me it seems Mowbray is most averse to that idea and will generally only bring in "ones for the future" he can put on the back burner for a year or two or one last pay day types so he is not upsetting or dislodging the established players already at the Club.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Great post. 

What makes this all the more galling a s we are producing quality youth. Raya, Nayambe, Lenihen and Travis are all solid championship players, and the current crop, whilst early days, also look rather talented. In light of this type of output in terms of quality we really should be having a solid squad as a fair bit of work has been done already. Am sure PNE would love to produce the quality of youth we do on a regular basis. 

It also shows the myth of the slow build as a fair number of the older players won't be around for us in a slow build. 

22 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

Even those who have supported Mowbray have to realise that the gig is up.

You do know he hasn’t actually said that yet has he?

If we want to get heated about made up things how about this -

TM - “Delighted that Lionel Messi has signed for us, his boyhood idols. Now he just needs to learn how to play the wide forward role from young Ben and then if he gets his chance, I’m sure that he’ll do his best to take it.”

• Like 1

Since arriving he hasn’t ever been under any particular pressure to sell players - Raya being the only notable departure in three and a half years. That in itself is a very nice position for a manager of a club with our means to be in.

He had the biggest wage bill in League one.

On promotion he committed to deals worth £10 million on young forwards 

Last summer he spent £5 million more on another.

Do we still get outspent by some other clubs in this league on both fees and wages? Without doubt, but ‘he’s had no money’ ? Do me a favour!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3