BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Didn't I answered this sort of question before about Marshall age! Do you think my answer has change?

and what is that based on that Fox is better than Bell and Williams? Fox was part of the defence that conceded 7 against us. 

Well you will only know whether we signed better than Fox and Chester after the Transfer window closes

On that basis, you wouldn't want any of these five (Stegen, Semedo, Pique, Lenglet, Alba) who were Barca's defence when Bayern stuck eight in.............!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Mercer beat me to it with his original response but surely there's a difference between relatively low cost signings who don't quite get you over the line and signings in the £5-£7m price range who completely tank.

For what it's worth, I still have reasonably high hopes for Brereton (albeit probably under a different manager) but Gallagher is a write off imo. And what makes it all the more galling is that we already knew there was no way in the world he was a £5m player from his previous time here!

I agree. My comment was debunking the notion the cash would still have been there had he not spent it. Of course he could have spent it better, my view at the start of last season was those two signings working out or not would determine our season, which they did - 25 goals from them and we’d have been in the playoffs for sure. But with Dack and Armstrong having worked out in spades, the idea that any decent manager can get four signings in a row right is hardly born out by history. Hughes did it for us then signed nothing but duds for years after. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Nobody has disputed that we don’t play with wingers and that our full backs provide width. You haven’t pointed out anything to anybody they didn’t already know, you have used this point as an argument as to why signing a winger would be a bad idea. Whenever anyone mentions a winger you regurgitate that line again and again as if it is and must be completely set in stone that we can’t possibly have a wide midfielder. Other people question the fact. You are so eager to form all your opinions based on what Mowbray will most likely do, he’s become infallible in your mind.

What it really highlights is that we go into games with no balance whatsoever. Nyambe is often expected to do the work of three players (see below). I know you are going to go on about his lack of goals and assists (how many corners has he ever gone up for by the way), completely ignoring the fact that he is probably the best player we have for getting us up the pitch, or the fact that he often runs the length of the pitch, overtaking whichever striker is playing in front of him while they stand around dawdling on the edge of the box. 

12FB8DD6-1662-40CF-BDCF-D5A1EEAD97A0.jpeg

Exactly. To be a little more simplistic, we scored more goals than 2 of the play off sides, interestingly neither of which was Cardiff who had the least possession. That was without Dack for half of the season, we have 2 goalscorers. We again let in over 60 goals, a bottom half standard defence. Who could possibly conclude that the problem with one of our defenders is that he cant attack well enough!

He does need to get better going forward. That cross v Swansea was something hes never done before, although he was far more threatening bursting forward than he had been prior to this season. If he had someone in front of him who could stretch teams then as you say there wouldnt be as much reliance on him and if he was more conservative, the centre back on his side would also be less likely to be exploited.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/garry-monk-reveals-why-keiren-westwood-isnt-training-sheffield-wednesday-plus-update-sam-hutchinson-2873580%3famp

Article from June saying that when asked for more information on Westwood, Monk replied, “He has a shoulder injury… He was nursing that before all this. Speaking to the medical guys, he is coming more and more back to full health now, but In terms of his return to fitness, I think he is still a little bit of a way off that.”

If he is injured then theres no point.

That was June as you said

Just now, Tugayisgod said:

That was June as you said

Monk said he was "a way off" full fitness. I think fans were sceptical if he was actually injured. Mentioned on their forum:

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/291846-westwood-wanted-by-blackburn-despite-his-‘injuries’/

Their fans have a high opinion of him. A lot of discussion about off the field, wages, disputes etc. More than half seem to think he should be number 1 (Wildsmith and Dawson who we were linked with seem to be not up to it) but a few seem to think that people are living in the past and are keen to point out that he made mistakes this season. Mention of his "presence" in goal which is something unfamiliar to a Rovers keeper anytime recently.

I do struggle to see how we can afford them wages if they are genuinely 30k a week, thats 1.5m that would need making up. Even if you say offered 14k a week plus 200k signing on fee, which would also equate to 1.5m, that would be over a 2 year period rather than 1. If we had to pay a fee on top of that, it seems a real push.

The thing is, the Pears article was very similar, and then the rumour just sort of faded away. Wouldnt be surprised if the same happened here.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I do struggle to see how we can afford them wages if they are genuinely 30k a week, thats 1.5m that would need making up. Even if you say offered 14k a week plus 200k signing on fee, which would also equate to 1.5m, that would be over a 2 year period rather than 1. If we had to pay a fee on top of that, it seems a real push.

The thing is, the Pears article was very similar, and then the rumour just sort of faded away. Wouldnt be surprised if the same happened here.

If Monk wants him away from the squad they might give him a golden handshake to aid his departure.

I know circumstances are different than last summer but Bradley Johnson must have been on a fair wedge at Derby ,he wouldn't have been on the same money here surely

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

If Monk wants him away from the squad they might give him a golden handshake to aid his departure.

I know circumstances are different than last summer but Bradley Johnson must have been on a fair wedge at Derby ,he wouldn't have been on the same money here surely

Suppose again, it was a case of being able to spread the wage over 2 years rather than 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont enjoy watching sub par players because they make us as a team worse and are big contributors in us conceded over 120 goals in 2 years. By that reasoning, Walton, Brereton, Leutwiler, Mulgrew, Bennett etc were all equally important too.

The entire squad is at fault for goals conceded. Whether it was Raya or Walton, Nyambe or Bennett at full, etc. 

The squad is responsible for the league we got over the last 3 seasons as well as Mowbray and his staff

The main priority for the defence is to stop conceding so many goals. Why is the main "need" for him to assist?

Cos the way we play under Mowbray we need our full backs contributing with goals and assists? 

You could say that about why did we need Mulgrew contributing with goals and assists when he is a centre back? what you change now?

Lets hope the wide striker idea is knocked on the head because not only do Gallagher and co not contribute from that position (he got a measly 6 league goals, 2 in the last 2 games playing central, one at Preston central, one as a sub v Stoke central, one v Swansea from central and one when 4 up and v 10 men at Sheffield Wednesday when he had gone more central, hes a limited striker but a totally worthless wide player) but they place additional and unreasonable reliance on full backs to compensate for that, especially when our full backs are not capable of doing that.

Rather than looking for strikers who might be less ineffective as wide men, we should adopt the novel idea of signing wide men. They dont have to be like Ripley and Wilcox types, just players who want to play wide. Sign players who affect games positively there and not only is that a benefit, but we can be more conservative and solid with our use of full backs.

Have you look at the players that were suggested by Andy Watson and @JoeH? what do you think of those suggestions?

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I mention this a couple of hours about Westwood's wages being a problem and you never raised about how we would match them. why not?

If he wants to play and come here he will have to take at least 60% for us to even considering us signing him. 

The Pears article was by Teesside live wasn't it? the same owners at Lancs Live, so the journalists from both papers would have talked about what they know? Can't imagine Pears going anywhere until Warnock signs a keeper if we are still interested

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

why signing a winger would be a bad idea.

Well would he play under Mowbray? Probably not

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

What it really highlights is that we go into games with no balance whatsoever. Nyambe is often expected to do the work of three players (see below). I know you are going to go on about his lack of goals and assists (how many corners has he ever gone up for by the way), completely ignoring the fact that he is probably the best player we have for getting us up the pitch, or the fact that he often runs the length of the pitch, overtaking whichever striker is playing in front of him while they stand around dawdling on the edge of the box. 

Nyambe going forward isn't going enough going forward. You want your full back provide assists each season? 

His crossing is woeful and final ball not good enough. Alot of work to do for us plus in his final year of his contract

Runs the length of the pitch but no end product? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

The entire squad is at fault for goals conceded. Whether it was Raya or Walton, Nyambe or Bennett at full, etc. 

The squad is responsible for the league we got over the last 3 seasons as well as Mowbray and his staff

Cos the way we play under Mowbray we need our full backs contributing with goals and assists? 

You could say that about why did we need Mulgrew contributing with goals and assists when he is a centre back? what you change now?

Have you look at the players that were suggested by Andy Watson and @JoeH? what do you think of those suggestions?

I mention this a couple of hours about Westwood's wages being a problem and you never raised about how we would match them. why not?

If he wants to play and come here he will have to take at least 60% for us to even considering us signing him. 

The Pears article was by Teesside live wasn't it? the same owners at Lancs Live, so the journalists from both papers would have talked about what they know? Can't imagine Pears going anywhere until Warnock signs a keeper if we are still interested

They arent all equally to blame because they are players of different abilities. 

"The way we play under Mowbray" can you please stop saying this. A lot of people dont think that Mowbrays way works 100%. His full backs have never really scored or assisted during his time here and we have always been reliant on central players to get us goals. Graham, Dack, Armstrong when he moved central and Mulgrew. Wide striker potential targets? No thanks. 2 full backs who dont offer much going forward asked to provide the width with strikers on the wings? No thanks. Do you think we should play with 2 attacking full backs (that would need to be signed first because they arent here) and 2 strikers out wide? I suspect another "ive told you before!" answer will greet this question and you will again dodge giving your own opinion and repeat that Mowbray needs attacking full backs as he doesnt play with wingers which we know.

Mine is that Nyambe DOES need to improve going forward, but his main priority should be being part of a defence that concedes less, with a natural wide player in front of him providing width rather than another season of Gallagher there.

Mulgrew scored 10 goals the season before last and was roundly and deservedly criticised because he couldnt defend anymore so that isnt true.

Hard to see anyone taking such a big pay cut. Whether we pretend that we would not be willing to do nothing at work for twice the money or not. Any compromise could come around a 2 year deal, or even a golden handshake fron Wednesday. So he would still get the same money.

6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Ahhh, I see it’s been confirmed by the LET and Sheffield examiner that we’ve made inquiries for Westwood. Odd considering ‘it’s obvious’ that Mowbray doesn’t know his budget!? ???

He didnt until much later than he should have, hence the frustration after the last game of the season and somewhat backed up by no transfer business to date. People are right to point out that our dickhead owners always put us at a disadvantage.

Rich Sharpe said "he will check it out" so just from the Sheffield examiner at the moment, and nothing concrete, just an enquiry so doesnt prove much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

On the whoscored.com website the ratings for these and a couple of goalkeepers last season were :

David Raya   6.68

Christian Walton 6.63

David Marshall   6.47

Keiran Westwood     6.41

And ???

The midtable messiah with his wealth of wisdom sold the top one on yur list for 3 million because they had a strop with each other.

Waltons gone back, he would probably have had higher ratings than Raya if he hadn't thrown the towel in like the manager & team post lockdown.

As for the other 2 our manager wouldn't have the bollocks to sign either even if he was granted the wages and they phoned up to say it was their life's ambition to come to Ewood.  Though strangely enough if either was under him at Boro or Coventry he'd probably suddenly conjure up a 1 year 20 grand per week deal !!!

That's where we are at. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Ahhh, I see it’s been confirmed by the LET and Sheffield examiner that we’ve made inquiries for Westwood. Odd considering ‘it’s obvious’ that Mowbray doesn’t know his budget!? ???

We made an enquiry but Wednesday said that they weren't giving him away for nothing so that was the end of the conversation.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well would he play under Mowbray? Probably not

Nyambe going forward isn't going enough going forward. You want your full back provide assists each season? 

His crossing is woeful and final ball not good enough. Alot of work to do for us plus in his final year of his contract

Runs the length of the pitch but no end product? 

If Mowbray came out and said “We don’t need a dedicated goalie. We can have rush keepers. Everyone will have a turn, and we will change after every goal” every right thinking person would be up in arms. You’d say “Well we don’t play with a keeper” and dismiss out of hand anyone suggesting we Should sign one.

You have completely proven my point with your reply.

• Like 6

Just now, Miller11 said:

If Mowbray came out and said “We don’t need a dedicated goalie. We can have rush keepers. Everyone will have a turn, and we will change after every goal” every right thinking person would be up in arms. You’d say “Well we don’t play with a keeper” and dismiss out of hand anyone suggesting we Should sign one.

You have completely proven my point with your reply.

Bit OTT. 

If a manager doesn’t play wingers it is pointless him signing them. Chaddy has half a point with that one. Problem is, he plays the wrong type of wide player, and then expects his full back to do the work of a winger. It might work if you have world class full backs a la Liverpool but when you have Bell and Nyambe whipping a ball in it is all a bit frustrating. 

Also makes Chapman a strange one. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 1