BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

exactly, This is one of the problems with Modern day football. I highlighted John Egan and John O'Connell of football who drop down a level or 2 to play regular 1st team football and now look at the pair now playing regular premier league level football.  

Come on Chaddy, stop being naive.

You are insinuating Kipre is all about money and will be content to sit on the bench.

It's a wonderful opportunity for the lad to stake a claim at WBA to become a regular PL player and earn some big money.  Why on earth should he not do it after he's shown he's a very capable Championship defender.  If you are saying this lad isn't good enough for the PL then, IMO, Lenihan certainly isn't - I'd take Kipre over Lenihan every day of the week, he's a 'real' defender. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, rigger said:

Nothing beats playing! Take it from someone who can’t anymore.

The main assumption wrongly made is that Kipre would go there to make up the numbers. As if hes massively inferior to the other 3 centre backs they have. When in fact I think he would fancy his chances of not only playing first team football, but Premier League first team football and bettering himself. 

I think one or two have the blue and white blinkers on.

Thats before considering the fact that I can understand why thousands of pounds would be very hard to turn down!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

The main assumption wrongly made is that Kipre would go there to make up the numbers. As if hes massively inferior to the other 3 centre backs they have. When in fact I think he would fancy his chances of not only playing first team football, but Premier League first team football and bettering himself. 

I think one or two have the blue and white blinkers on.

Thats before considering the fact that I can understand why thousands of pounds would be very hard to turn down!

I think you’re right. Kyle Bartley and Hegazi and Ajayi are hardly world beaters, more journeymen than class centre halves. He’s got a chance of being first choice.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Unfortunately in our position with finances, we are a move behind getting the likes of kipre. We should’ve been getting him from Motherwell, not 2 years later when he is an established good quality champ centre back with prospect of going higher. We can’t compete with the top half of the champ/bottom half of the prem so we need to box more clever. Our recruitment team is currently pretty poor imo as the goalkeeping saga shows

I agree with parts of this but I'm curious as to why we cannot compete with the 'top half of the Championship'. Our own Chief Executive is on record as saying we are mid table on wages in this league. Our owners are allegedly billionaires eager to invest in the club hamstrung only by FFP. Derby have demolished those rules opening the doors to clubs to ignore them. We've just slashed £100,000 a month off the wage bill. So who in the Championship can we not compete with?

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Sharpe on the biggest u turn of recent times. Having yesterday nailed his colours to the deal being virtually done in less than 24 hours seemingly West Brom are now in the driving seat.

He mentions that personal terms may have been a stumbling block. That is strange because you would hope that Rovers would have worked out what he was after and whether we could pay it before making the bid and letting news of it out in the paper.

How’s it a u-turn of all time, when he reported it we were in prime position, fee and probably wages agreed, and then a premier club comes in with probably double wages, and when  Sharp found out he reported that.

Thats how it works, think you’re still in the Jack Walker era, when we just smashed everyone out of sight, and saying we should have gone in early with a 2 mil bid, nobody does that unless you’ve plenty of dosh, why didn’t WBA go in early, same reason, wait till they halve the fee.

• Like 2

Just over five weeks since our season ended at Luton and just two weeks until we start again!

So far, we've just one signing to show for all our recruitment planning and a new Euro scouting set-up.

It doesn't look good.

On paper, new goalie sounds half decent although there do seem to be some questions about his ability on crosses and even his temperament.  I'm happy to give the lad a chance and think he will be a big upgrade on Walton.

As for Kipre, hope he still comes and I believe he would prove to be a very good signing.  IMO, a far better defender than Lenihan.  However, it does beg the question as to why we've taken so long to make our move for the lad and could it not have been done and dusted at least two weeks ago before any other clubs got alerted.

See there's a bit more stuff on Twitter about the alleged Armstrong bid and it seems not from the 'phantom' journos!  See Sharpe hasn't responded to the latest stuff (despite being asked) and you do therefore wonder if a bid is in and been accepted.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Just over five weeks since our season ended at Luton and just two weeks until we start again!

So far, we've just one signing to show for all our recruitment planning and a new Euro scouting set-up.

It doesn't look good.

On paper, new goalie sounds half decent although there do seem to be some questions about his ability on crosses and even his temperament.  I'm happy to give the lad a chance and think he will be a big upgrade on Walton.

As for Kipre, hope he still comes and I believe he would prove to be a very good signing.  IMO, a far better defender than Lenihan.  However, it does beg the question as to why we've taken so long to make our move for the lad and could it not have been done and dusted at least two weeks ago before any other clubs got alerted.

See there's a bit more stuff on Twitter about the alleged Armstrong bid and it seems not from the 'phantom' journos!  See Sharpe hasn't responded to the latest stuff and you do therefore wonder if a bid is in and been accepted.

I presume you will show on here the "stuff on twitter" about Armstrong that is more genuine to the extent that you have concluded that a bid may have been accepted...

4 minutes ago, unsall said:

How’s it a u-turn of all time, when he reported it we were in prime position, fee and probably wages agreed, and then a premier club comes in with probably double wages, and when  Sharp found out he reported that.

Thats how it works, think you’re still in the Jack Walker era, when we just smashed everyone out of sight, and saying we should have gone in early with a 2 mil bid, nobody does that unless you’ve plenty of dosh, why didn’t WBA go in early, same reason, wait till they halve the fee.

Thursday afternoon the Telegraph headline is that a deal is almost done and Sharp was on twitter denying any issues or West Brom bid. By Friday morning they are in pole position and Rovers might struggle to match his personal demands.

That's a U turn. 

When did I say we should have gone in early with a £2 million bid?

Patterns emerging here. Interest in players leaks out via the Telegraph and then the deal doesn't happen. Assombalonga, Bauer, Kipre, Darlow, Atsu. 

I'll reserve judgement until the first game of the League season but we havent done anywhere near enough as yet and excuses won't earn us points next year

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I agree with parts of this but I'm curious as to why we cannot compete with the 'top half of the Championship'. Our own Chief Executive is on record as saying we are mid table on wages in this league. Our owners are allegedly billionaires eager to invest in the club hamstrung only by FFP. Derby have demolished those rules opening the doors to clubs to ignore them. We've just slashed £100,000 a month off the wage bill. So who in the Championship can we not compete with?

In terms of finances and reputation I would say we are now looking at mid table of the champ, so any team from our position upwards from the table last season and the three that came down and you have a pretty good marker.

when we go toe to toe with a transfer with one of them we usually don’t come out on top

we are where we are, we need to get some luck with recruitment and pluck some gems from abroad or down the league chain or have a manager that’s way more savvy than other champs managers to get out this league- currently we don’t look to have either weapon in our arsenal 

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Thursday afternoon the Telegraph headline is that a deal is almost done and Sharp was on twitter denying any issues or West Brom bid. By Friday morning they are in pole position and Rovers might struggle to match his personal demands.

That's a U turn. 

Patterns emerging here. Interest in players leaks out via the Telegraph and then the deal doesn't happen. Assombalonga, Bauer, Kipre, Darlow, Atsu. 

I'll reserve judgement until the first game of the League season but we havent done anywhere near enough as yet and excuses won't earn us points next year

You forgot the goalkeeper that was coming who ended up back in Jockland.

56 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Come on Chaddy, stop being naive.

You are insinuating Kipre is all about money and will be content to sit on the bench.

It's a wonderful opportunity for the lad to stake a claim at WBA to become a regular PL player and earn some big money.  Why on earth should he not do it after he's shown he's a very capable Championship defender.  If you are saying this lad isn't good enough for the PL then, IMO, Lenihan certainly isn't - I'd take Kipre over Lenihan every day of the week, he's a 'real' defender. 

Be honest, you've never seen Kipre play?

Not sure why people seem so convinced that Kipre will be stuck on the bench at WBA, although if he takes the attitude that his is going to be, then he will. But I suspect he will look at West Brom's centre back options and think that with his ability there is no reason why he can't dislodge them

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, JHRover said:

That's a U turn. 

Sharpe can only go on what he’s heard, Rovers in pole position and after It went to press, found out WBA are interested so obviously had to give the update.Thats an update, would have been a u- turn if what he said that Rovers were  favourites was completely wrong, but was right at the time.

Re 2 mil bid apologies realise you meant WBA could have, but even a premier team have to try and get a cut price deal, but looks like Duffy was first choice.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Everybody with parachute payments for a start. 

Not necessarily. Parachute payments are there to soften the blow of adjusting to much lower income, not to blow other clubs away financially. Bournemouth's parachute cash will be all earmarked for existing players on big money that they need to be rid of before making signings.

Even if it did, how many of those clubs are there? 

Watford, Norwich, Stoke and Bournemouth. Swansea and Huddersfield are skint. Who else? 

Just now, JHRover said:

Not necessarily. Parachute payments are there to soften the blow of adjusting to much lower income, not to blow other clubs away financially. Bournemouth's parachute cash will be all earmarked for existing players on big money that they need to be rid of before making signings.

Even if it did, how many of those clubs are there? 

Watford, Norwich, Stoke and Bournemouth. Swansea and Huddersfield are skint. Who else? 

We have a wage cap that will be lower than half the clubs in the Championship. We can't compete with any of them.

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

We have a wage cap that will be lower than half the clubs in the Championship. We can't compete with any of them.

These were supposedly the average salaries by club in the Championship in 2018/19. 

No surprises that Villa and Norwich got promoted looking at that - but Sheffield United massively over-achieved.

No surprises who got relegated as well with Rotherham, Bolton and Ipswich amongst the lowest.

Brentford and Sheffield United prove you can compete with a lower wage budget, but as a general rule of thumb, the more you pay out in wages, the higher up the league you will finish.

15 clubs paid higher average wages than Rovers.

EVD_uooU0AEkMlU?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 3

Squad sizes will have some bearing on that plus don't forget Downing, Graham, Mulgrew, Evans in our squad to name a few will be on good championship money. Then there's Sam Gallagher and Armstrong so all is not as it seems we pay more to some players than other clubs can afford. It's balanced by a lot of younger ones on a lot less i'd wager.

So looking at those names and their pay you'd expect a bit of bang for your bucks.

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

We've just slashed £100,000 a month off the wage bill. So who in the Championship can we not compete with?

This assumes Venkys have authorised the same budget as last year, which seems unlikely in the global climate. On top of that, we've a big black hole in sponsorship money as it stands, which you'd expect based on previous official comments about the amount, would comfortably be a six figure sum

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Your source for this wage cap and how it compares to others?

Care to name me the 12+ clubs in this league we can't compete for on wages?

By my count there are 8 clubs receiving parachute cash. Including Middlesbrough who are in their final year of it and Swansea and Huddersfield who are struggling financially. Cardiff are another who don't spend big.

I would hope we can compete with everyone else in this division. If we can't then what exactly do Venkys bring to the party and why are we losing the neck end of £20 million a year whilst all these other clubs lose a fraction of that?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Your source for this wage cap and how it compares to others?

Care to name me the 12+ clubs in this league we can't compete for on wages?

By my count there are 8 clubs receiving parachute cash. Including Middlesbrough who are in their final year of it and Swansea and Huddersfield who are struggling financially. Cardiff are another who don't spend big.

I would hope we can compete with everyone else in this division. If we can't then what exactly do Venkys bring to the party and why are we losing the neck end of £20 million a year whilst all these other clubs lose a fraction of that?

Think your mad if you believe we are on equal footings with a good 10-12 of the clubs in the league. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Think your mad if you believe we are on equal footings with a good 10-12 of the clubs in the league. 

So why are we losing £20 million a year to not even be able to compete with half the second division?

Seems like a mystery to me.

• Like 2