BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The false claim that we can't compete with half the division.

No we can compete with half the division, the bottom half. You said top half. Stop moving the goalposts!

Anyway, North End are paupers FFS! They have to sell every summer. North End aren't Villa, Watford, Stoke etc etc etc. We spend less than the average wage in this division. 15 teams spend more than us on wages; Look at the Leftwinger chart again. Some of those teams spend double what we do. 

AND AGAIN YOU SAID TOP HALF, NOT HALF THE DIVISION. YOU THINK WE CAN COMPETE WITH EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

54 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Think your mad if you believe we are on equal footings with a good 10-12 of the clubs in the league. 

Wycombe, Luton, Rotherham, Barnsley, Preston, Millwall, Coventry, Birmingham, QPR, Sheffield Wednesday. There's 10 that we can compete with just of the top of my head.

• Like 3

Reading? Brentford?

Give it a year and you can add Huddersfield, Swansea and Cardiff.

Give it 2 years and you can add Norwich and Bournemouth once they've adjusted to life at this level 

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Reading? Brentford?

Give it a year and you can add Huddersfield, Swansea and Cardiff.

Give it 2 years and you can add Norwich and Bournemouth once they've adjusted to life at this level 

You do realise those team will be replaced by 3 more coming down from the Prem, loaded with Parachute payments. That's happens every year! FFS man, give it up.

You moan about Venky's but the only reason we're buying BB and SG etc is because they're taking on the debt. You can't have it both ways. 

Our Revenue is bottom half in the Championship. WE can't compete. The only thing keeping us going is Venky share issues.

And no this isn't a defence of Venky's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

They could afford to sign Bauer on his apparently astronomical wages so maybe we can't compete with North End?

We offered more money than them by all accounts, but he wanted to play 1st team football which Tony the genius didn't promise!! 

Their wage bill is £3m less than ours a year. Their revenue is also £3m less. QED. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Our Revenue is bottom half in the Championship. WE can't compete. The only thing keeping us going is Venky share issues.

Wow. The voice of optimism. 

Our wage bill, losses and income all suggest otherwise.

End of discussion from me. I'll be wondering why we don't just shut the club down if that sort of talk carries on

• Backroom
31 minutes ago, Butty said:

I’ve seen Rovers fans on Twitter questioning why he’d go there instead of here, like seriously it’s not even a debate, 

This.

I usually get all sorts of hurt and disappointment when we lose out on an exciting transfer option.

This one is more of a shrug shoulders and move on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Our Revenue is bottom half in the Championship. WE can't compete. 

You yourself have just acknowledged that we can compete with the 10 clubs I mentioned in my previous post. And in that I didn't mention the likes of Reading, Brentford, Huddersfield and Swansea.  So we can quite easily compete in this division, clubs who supporters should be saying they can't compete are sides like Luton and Wycombe. Plenty of sides have been promoted over the last few who you would have probably classed as not being able to compete for examples the likes of Cardiff, Huddersfield, Norwich and Sheffield United. The one thing we are really missing is a manager to cleverly work the market and to get that extra 5% out of his team. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Silas said:

This.

I usually get all sorts of hurt and disappointment when we lose out on an exciting transfer option.

This one is more of a shrug shoulders and move on.

Yeah, it bites a bit being so close but what is there to moan about here really? Another club came in for him that happens to be a league higher that can offer more money. I do think the Sharpe article didnt help matters - got everyone excited that we are spending money on a defender for the first time this generation. 

• Like 1

Other teams in the division sell their players. Mowbray hasn't had to sell. We operate a strict wages policy, so it's not that we can't compete, but that we won't. It would increase the losses.We could match West Brom's wage offer to Kipre. Some policies are meant to be broken for the right player. Of all Kipre's prospective centre back partners, who is the best? I'd go with Lenihan.

Derby County are unique. They sell their ground for twice its book value.Then they sell it again, this time on a lease back. Their owner must have slipped the football team the ground back, whilst no one was looking.

Brentford's money ball approach only works as long as suitable replacements for players that are to be sold can be sourced.That isn't the case this year.

To add to @Ewood Ace's list: Bristol City, Reading, Middlesborough, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Swansea, Barnsley, Stoke, Brentford (I note Ewood Ace has already added to his list in other posts)

Forest, Watford, Norwich, Bournemouth, Derby, Forest's owner has issues hanging over him from Greece. Watford probably need to sell before deciding whether to use transfer money on wages.Bournemouth have sold and could use that money to bring in players. Norwich looks to have brought in all the players they want and so are unlikely to be competing with us for players. There has to be a limit to the number of times Derby can sell its ground to cover wages.

• Like 4

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Yeah, it bites a bit being so close but what is there to moan about here really? Another club came in for him that happens to be a league higher that can offer more money. I do think the Sharpe article didnt help matters - got everyone excited that we are spending money on a defender for the first time this generation. 

Yeah, I think it hurts us all more because we are so desperate for some fresh blood at the back.

We're basically the guy dying of thirst crawling across the Sahara desert, and people keep holding cups of water in front of us.......... and then pouring them into the sand. It sucks!

But this guy has, I assume, been out of his native country since he was 17, trying to forge a career. (Leicester City youth set up).

That's pretty committed stuff. And you do that to try and get to the top. So, if you finally have the chance to play in the top league in the World, you grab it with both hands. 

Nothing we can do to stop this kind of stuff......other than get back into that top league again ourselves. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

It didn't get me excited.

I'm saving that for when we actually part with the pounds and not pre publicise it in detail to anyone that may be remotely interested in the same player.

Odd that as we had somehow cultivated a history as a club of keeping quiet whilst never actually doing so.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Who would people prefer, Lindsay or Kipre, if they had to choose ?  Is Lindsay still an option btw ?

Based on current reputation & perceived value, I'd prefer Kipre. If we went for Lindsay and could get a tune out of him, he could be a shrewd signing. 

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Wow. The voice of optimism. 

Our wage bill, losses and income all suggest otherwise.

End of discussion from me. I'll be wondering why we don't just shut the club down if that sort of talk carries on

Our income is poor, our wage bill too high for it, and our losses pretty worrying, as a result of the first two. Our losses don't show a club with tons of spending power, they show a club who is already overspending and needs to cut back, as the shedding of so much from the wage bill reflects.

To imply our losses mean we should go out throwing money around is counter-intuitive in the extreme, sorry JH. I do think you're a smart, eloquent poster, and like everyone else I want us in the big time again ASAP, but in this case you're just miles off. The only question is whether Venkys can, and should (in terms of the stability of the club and meeting FFP, not in terms of obligation) throw a load of money at it to go up this year, and in that area I'm tempted towards yes. Big gamble though.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It didn't get me excited.

I'm saving that for when we actually part with the pounds and not pre publicise it in detail to anyone that may be remotely interested in the same player.

Odd that as we had somehow cultivated a history as a club of keeping quiet whilst never actually doing so.

Very strange for Sharpe to advertise to other interested parties that we were in advanced talks. Why not wait until it was signed and sealed. Maybe give impression that we were buying when we weren’t but why would they do that? No season tickets sales to worry about yet. All rather confusing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

As for Kipre, hope he still comes and I believe he would prove to be a very good signing.  IMO, a far better defender than Lenihan.  However, it does beg the question as to why we've taken so long to make our move for the lad and could it not have been done and dusted at least two weeks ago before any other clubs got alerted.

See there's a bit more stuff on Twitter about the alleged Armstrong bid and it seems not from the 'phantom' journos! 

I wouldn't most of the rumours on twitter are BS. There is few people on there claiming to north west reporters or journalist. So if there is a reliable source on twitter who has linked Armstrong to another club can you please post them?

How much of Kipre have you seen? and what type of defender is he and what are are best attributes? 

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Who else is hearing strong rumours of Armstrong to Newcastle for 10 million? If we look at Eze, surely he's worth the same... If true. 

What rumours and where from?

2 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Is Lindsay still an option btw ?

Yes still available. But if we are signing Sarr then we wont need Lindsay. 

Just now, bluebruce said:

Our income is poor, our wage bill too high for it, and our losses pretty worrying, as a result of the first two. Our losses don't show a club with tons of spending power, they show a club who is already overspending and needs to cut back, as the shedding of so much from the wage bill reflects.

To imply our losses mean we should go out throwing money around is counter-intuitive in the extreme, sorry JH. I do think you're a smart, eloquent poster, and like everyone else I want us in the big time again ASAP, but in this case you're just miles off. The only question is whether Venkys can, and should, throw a load of money at it to go up this year, and in that area I'm tempted towards yes. Big gamble though.

I didn't think our income was 'poor'. I thought it was competitive. Not big but certainly no reason why it should be lower than many others in this league.

I've been over many times that these owners are at least in part responsible for our income levels due to their mismanagement and neglect, which includes years of not taking commercial and sponsorship seriously and allowing thousands of fans to become alienated.

So I suppose in a way I accept things aren't great, but I don't believe that is natural but rather created by poor management and shouldn't be an excuse. It isn't that this club cannot compete at this level as history shows we can. It continues today with us being one of a small number not to sell tickets.

Either way for whatever reason Venkys appear comfortable pumping £15 million a year in. Whether you like that or not or want it to continue or not as long as it does this club can compete in the Championship. 

I find it ludicrous that anyone would argue 'we can't compete' whilst surrounded by Barnsley, Wycombe and Luton and owned by billionaires

12 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Who would people prefer, Lindsay or Kipre, if they had to choose ?  Is Lindsay still an option btw ?

Lindsay myself. Very handy on the ball at Barnsley, but arguably need Kipre more, so good in the air. Happy with either though of course. Happy with Roy Cropper at this stage.