Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The thing is, unless we sign a Kipre, an Ayala or a Van Der Hoorn, all of which seem unlikely, I fear that we are very unlikely to get someone as good as Adarabioyo, who himself was part of a defence that conceded 63 goals. So I think it will take far more than a centre back replacement to fix our defensive problems.

We need 2 centre backs really, at least one of whom has to be dominant in the air. I know Mowbray wants players who can play it out from back but that may be a luxury we cannot afford. When Lenihan misses games, we lose games because none of our other centre backs could head and lead, so we need to avoid that being a risk, especially considering Lenihans injury record. Naby Sarr seems to have been mentioned but he seems to be one who brings the ball out but often has concentration problems, if we signed him in addition to another more conservative defender, then that could be better. 

We need Kaminski to be a success, he cant afford to make loads of mistakes like Walton. We could do with an experienced number 2 who can step in should Kaminski be struggling, which will be difficult to find.

We need to prioritise signing a left back, Bell has shown time and time again that he is miles away from the standard we need and any improvement is a myth. We need to sign a left back of quality ASAP. The importance of competent full backs shouldnt be underestimated, our points per game with and without Nyambe and with and without Cunningham last season shows that. Downing also had a decent spell at LB too. Bennett and Bell at full back will lead to us conceding goals and losing games and Rankin Costello is not a full back either. The important thing is full backs that are good defensively, again, ones flying forward setting up goals too are a bonus.

As an aside, Naby Sarr seems to have progressed at Charlton but even at the end Bowyer seemed to trust an ageing journeyman in Jason Pearce more to start games. 

Edited by roversfan99
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do we know there is no urgency? 3 years ago.. Back 4 v Southend 2017 Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew (c), Williams,    All 4 players still at the club and 3 nailed on to start ag

West Bromwich Albion are Founder Members of the Football League, they’ve spent around 80 seasons as a top flight club (10 seasons more than us), they’ve also won numerous trophies. They are a historic

Don't take it personally. He might have had a drink. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

With the prem comes money though.

I bet they would. I don't know whether Kipre has been offered regular first team football, but the rumour mill would have us believe Baggies have him on the hook and are waiting for alternatives. That would make you think they believe there's better out there, and if he does sign it is simply a case of them not finding anyone else. It all screams of being unwanted.

I can only speak from what little we hear on the outside though

I’ve no doubt that he’ll be offered more money but I’m confident that’s secondary to the opportunity to play in the PL. Would you choose regular game time in a mid table Champ team or the opportunity at playing in the PL? It’s hardly a guarantee that he’ll be offered the chance to play at that the highest level again. Can’t blame him for holding out and I really don’t think money is the issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He might just have said i want a chance at a Prem club and that's WBA but if not and no other big club jumps in Blackburn Rovers is my first choice.  Or at least that's what his agent will be telling everyone and the player himself probably.

So other than sit tight and hope it comes off there's not a lot else they can do apart from drop it altogether and run the risk of missing it if your scenario does eventually play out.

Plan B is almost certainly a loan punt on another young PL center half they probably have a list and will just grab whoever they can at the death if it comes to that.

Like the keeper thing we shouldn't really be in this situation in the first place there's been plenty time and good players knocking around for it to be addressed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't really think this is "modern football" - its perfectly reasonable and logical that he would want to play at the highest level possible. If you were in his shoes (putting loyalty to Rovers to one side) I am sure you would feel the same way.

 

8 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I’ve no doubt that he’ll be offered more money but I’m confident that’s secondary to the opportunity to play in the PL. Would you choose regular game time in a mid table Champ team or the opportunity at playing in the PL? It’s hardly a guarantee that he’ll be offered the chance to play at that the highest level again. Can’t blame him for holding out and I really don’t think money is the issue.

I will always say that I'll never criticise a player for wanting to play at a higher level. I'm only making the point that, going by reports, Kipre isn't really wanted there and is a second resort. As a player I wouldn't want that, unless of course there's another benefit to it. Which there is - money.

I'm not painting him out to be a bad guy but the fact remains that Baggies beat us at both situations - they can offer more money, and they can offer a higher division. With all that in mind it's no doubt he's going to them, although I would argue that he'd play more football here and likely get a move up as a regular starter, to a team that wants him, rather than playing second fiddle and a second option like currently.

Link to post
Share on other sites

With a loan, I think it would only even potentially be acceptable if it was with a permanent signing aswell, and also if it was a player at a bigger side who ultimately would be better than what else we could afford.

For example, Lindsay is 5th or 6th choice at Stoke, we dont want to be loaning players like that. Conversely, if Adarabioyo became available, or someone similar, then as 1 of 2, sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Seems pretty obvious West Brom are stringing Kipre along. If I was him I'd tell them to do one.

Really, TiG? Don't you really mean, "As a Rovers' fan, I really hope he'll tell West Brom to do one."??

Put yourself in his boots and you're a young-ish footballer, currently on the books of a League One club which is in administration, and a  Premier League club and one from the Championship are competing for you to join one or other of them. And, as far as we know, each is promising more money than your present club is likely to be able to pay you.

Surely in those circumstances as that young footballer, you'd sit back and let your agent negotiate the best financial package for you, even if it meant being a squad member at the Premier League club. I'm fairly sure I would, if I were his age.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Where is this from?

Lindsay would be a far cry from Kipre and is not a player that I would be particularly excited about but at least I suppose that would involve not putting all of our eggs into one basket when we have numerous positions to sign.

Sharpe openly said that we had gone down the line with two permanent, uk based players and a potential loan in the cb position last week.

looks like moves for Lindsay and possibly Sarr have been ongoing alongside Kipre...

Re Lb - Bryan Oviedo anyone? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Sharpe openly said that we had gone down the line with two permanent, uk based players and a potential loan in the cb position last week.

looks like moves for Lindsay and possibly Sarr have been ongoing alongside Kipre...

Re Lb - Bryan Oviedo anyone? 

I’d take Oviedo. Where’s he at now? I’m sure I saw him on tele not long back in a European game but he was playin winger not wing back. 
 

Left footed, been at Everton and attack minded - sounds a good fit for a Mowbray full back. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I’d take Oviedo. Where’s he at now? I’m sure I saw him on tele not long back in a European game but he was playin winger not wing back. 
 

Left footed, been at Everton and attack minded - sounds a good fit for a Mowbray full back. 

He’s at Copenhagen 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, m1st said:

Really, TiG? Don't you really mean, "As a Rovers' fan, I really hope he'll tell West Brom to do one."??

Put yourself in his boots and you're a young-ish footballer, currently on the books of a League One club which is in administration, and a  Premier League club and one from the Championship are competing for you to join one or other of them. And, as far as we know, each is promising more money than your present club is likely to be able to pay you.

Surely in those circumstances as that young footballer, you'd sit back and let your agent negotiate the best financial package for you, even if it meant being a squad member at the Premier League club. I'm fairly sure I would, if I were his age.

I have no problem if Kipre wants to go to West Brom. If I were him I would do the same. Seems an agreement has been reached between the 2 parties. 

My issue is with the way West Brom are treating him, he is obviously not their 1st choice and are apparently still looking at other alternatives. 

If they want him, sign him and stop pissing him about. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fairly random suggestion. Dont think he would need to quarantine coming from Denmark but no idea on availability. 

Read an article last week from Lewis Morgan who was at Sunderland with him, who claimed that he regularly feigned injury when he couldnt be arsed:

https://www.footballtransfertavern.com/sunderland-afc-news/sunderland-lewis-morgan-slams-bryan-oviedo/

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

West Brom think they can do better than Kipre, but it's as though they want him to hang around until they can't find anyone else. He could be in with a chance of higher wages, but not sure the reluctance from them is a great first impression. If I was Kipre, I'd be looking at sorting things out with a club that does want you and can still pay a reasonable wage.

There's also an interesting suggestion from Nixon that West Brom might not be offering the high wages that you'd think...

What I was trying to say but said much more eloquently. 

In any walk of life I'm not sure this is an employer/situation you want to be in! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tomphil said:

He might just have said i want a chance at a Prem club and that's WBA but if not and no other big club jumps in Blackburn Rovers is my first choice.  Or at least that's what his agent will be telling everyone and the player himself probably.

So other than sit tight and hope it comes off there's not a lot else they can do apart from drop it altogether and run the risk of missing it if your scenario does eventually play out.

Plan B is almost certainly a loan punt on another young PL center half they probably have a list and will just grab whoever they can at the death if it comes to that.

Like the keeper thing we shouldn't really be in this situation in the first place there's been plenty time and good players knocking around for it to be addressed. 

There's a saying in College Football recruiting (where 17/18 year olds commit to a college during their senior year of high school - but can only make it 'official' in December / February [there are two signing periods] - in the meantime they get recruited by everyone and their brother) "if you're looking, we're looking". 

I'd keep the offer on the table for Kipre, but I'd be pursuing other options too. If we find someone else and that eats into / uses the Kipre transfer money - fine, he's left without a place at Ewood. Can't be left holding our dicks hoping WBA find someone better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, m1st said:

Really, TiG? Don't you really mean, "As a Rovers' fan, I really hope he'll tell West Brom to do one."??

Put yourself in his boots and you're a young-ish footballer, currently on the books of a League One club which is in administration, and a  Premier League club and one from the Championship are competing for you to join one or other of them. And, as far as we know, each is promising more money than your present club is likely to be able to pay you.

Surely in those circumstances as that young footballer, you'd sit back and let your agent negotiate the best financial package for you, even if it meant being a squad member at the Premier League club. I'm fairly sure I would, if I were his age.

Depends if you're ambitious or not I guess. 

I suspect he backs himself to go to WBA and win a starting role - at 23 going there to just be a backup is a baffling decision. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Wondering if there's a possibility of Kipre going to West Brom, and then being loaned out to a Championship club straight away. He'd end up with the wages that he hoped for, with the game time that he wants, and West Brom would have made a cheap signing that could be Premier League-ready next season or, should they be relegated back to the Championship, a ready-to-go first-teamer.

The issue would be on what the two clubs want there. WBA likely do want a stronger squad option who might really challenge for the shirt, and we likely want to stop pissing about in the loan market for this key position. I don't think WBA are looking at this one as just an investment or they could have done it already.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tugayisgod said:

QPR also signed Rob Dickie.

Good signing

Don't know him from Adam to be honest, but 2.5 million seems like a lot in the current climate for a defender who has never played above L1 level. Must be highly rated if he's going for that amount. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve seen Naby Sarr’s name mentioned today, if Kipre doesn’t happen I wouldn’t be against us signing him. Extremely popular with Charlton supporters. He’s not technically gifted but he’s 6 foot 5 and is a solid defender, forget playing out from the back, Toisin was amazing on the ball but for me the first thing you want from a Centre half is for them to win tackles and head the ball away, Sarr is capable in that regard I believe. Free agent as well so it’s a no brainer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Butty said:

I’ve seen Naby Sarr’s name mentioned today, if Kipre doesn’t happen I wouldn’t be against us signing him. Extremely popular with Charlton supporters. He’s not technically gifted but he’s 6 foot 5 and is a solid defender, forget playing out from the back, Toisin was amazing on the ball but for me the first thing you want from a Centre half is for them to win tackles and head the ball away, Sarr is capable in that regard I believe. Free agent as well so it’s a no brainer. 

From reading around twitter it seems more the opposite. Good at playing out from the back but a liability defensively. Who knows though. I'd rather it your way round I must say

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.