BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

30 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

You can't have seen much of him play.

Seen loads. I have access to a very powerful scouting tool and it pulls hours of content for players and teams across the whole of Europe. He'd definitely be better than what we have IMO

47 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We are going nowhere under Waggott and Mowbray.

One minute they are telling Venkys to put their wallets away and the next they have a strict wage structure that is putting payers off joining. Luckily only the wrong kind of players. :rolleyes: 

We are sadly, going down

Just now, JoeH said:

Seen loads. I have access to a very powerful scouting tool and it pulls hours of content for players and teams across the whole of Europe. He'd definitely be better than what we have IMO

He's a cart horse. He even looked out of place against the Czech Republic's 3rd 11 the other night.

5 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

We are sadly, going down

I thought it was a fight for relegation from day one? Now we're just going down? What a difference a few days makes!

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

@JHRover There you go. We do have a salary cap as stated to you a few weeks ago. That's why we can't compete with the 'top half' of the division. If it wasn't self-imposed our losses would be even greater. 

So we lose nearly £20 million each and every year whilst failing to compete with the 'top half' of the league on wages? Something doesn't add up then.

Does pointless contract extensions to Graham, Smallwood, Samuel, Hart etc. fall within the 'cap'?

What about the £90,000 a week on wages saved since last season?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I never believed the one about telling them to put their wallets away. It was just company man, blowing smoke up Indian a**** stuff. I don't believe the evolution or the new style of play stuff either. Going nowhere, then the inevitable slide...

I think TM and Waggott have run out of trust. 

Exactly, it seems like every window we are told that we didnt even spend our budget and there was money left over. Then comes the new window and its same ole.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Can you please send it to Tony?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OssyLad said:

Get a grip lad, we could end up like Bolton and Bury any day if venkys decide to pull the plug. Which I hope won’t be soon. I’d rather us be sensible in the market rather than go all out and end up shit creek due ffp. Most Rovers fans these days need to pull there heads out of the sand. We can’t compete anymore. Our fan base is shocking for one and 2 we don’t have the appeal anymore

its all down to venkys and how badly they got advised and slowly but surely they’re trying to put it right, but it’s gonna take time 

Sometimes I just wish it would happen. 

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

So we lose nearly £20 million each and every year whilst failing to compete with the 'top half' of the league on wages? Something doesn't add up then.

Does pointless contract extensions to Graham, Smallwood, Samuel, Hart etc. fall within the 'cap'?

What about the £90,000 a week on wages saved since last season?

I just pointed out the existence of the wage cap, something you questioned a few weeks.

Not really sure of the relevance of your points here to that issue. The salary cap Waggott talks about appears to relate to a cap on individual players wages, it doesn't relate to the wage budget for the whole club. 

How I see our needs, in order, all TM and SW's bluster aside. I'm going to avoid using the hyperbole of '8 minimum' and all that stuff I've seen.

Absolutely Imperative

1. CB - has to be the number one objective, as this is the one position we are still definitively weaker in the starting 11 last season. Bell is awful and we need better (see number 2), but we had him or other makeshift LBs all season, the only one of which is gone is Downing. Cunningham is gone too but only featured for 9 or 10 games before injury. Tosin played nearly all season, was one of our better players, and with him gone we are just outright worse at CB unless we bring someone in. It also sounds like we can get good money for Del and save a bit on Mulgrew's wage, but there's no point doing these without bringing in at least one, quality CB.

2. LB - goes without saying we need better than Bell, better than Bennett wedging in there, and need to be using JRC in his proper position (it also remains to be seen how long he could be an effective stop-gap there for). But for the reasons stated in number 1, this is the second priority. Definitely needs to happen though.

Very Important

3. Back up GK - the only reason this isn't in the 'absolutely imperative' section is because it's not unknown at all for a GK to be fit and available all season. So, we might get away with it if we don't bring someone decent in to mostly warm the bench. I'm really not comfortable with the risk though, plus we don't know if Kaminski will satisfy our need for consistent quality here anyway and may need effective competition to keep him on his toes, or for if his form drops badly, or if he breaks Lenihan's penis. The youth goalies are yet to demonstrate they could be relied on for a 10-game streak without our first choice goalie.

4. Back up CB - you always get game time out of a third-choice CB, and it's important they can fill in effectively and not gift goals to the opposition. Arguably we have one already, I don't think Williams is the worst cover at CB (horrendous at LB though), but if the claim (from the LT was it?) that we might get 7-figures for him is true, I'm sure we can replace with better value as he isn't too consistent there. We have a clutch of young centre halves who have all shown promise at some point or another, but none have proven enough that they can be relied on consistently yet. Partly because of that, it would be good to let one or two of them out on loan, and we'll need to sign 2 CBs this summer for that to be wise. We'll need experience to call upon, on not too much of a wage, and if one of the young lads takes the bull by the horns then great. I've put this below a back up GK because the GK only needs one injury to utterly expose us, but here we have more options.

Would Be Nice If Funds Allow

5. Striker - unless we find a terrific bargain, or loads of money comes in from King, Raya, Cairney, this would probably be best as a loanee. We've made our investments here and for better or worse we need to try to hone them. Real quality and guaranteed goals is likely to cost too much for the buget, and if we do have another 5 million or so around (yeh right) I'd rather direct nearly all of that at the defence. I suppose there might be some steady journeyman striker on a free somewhere, like DG was when we got him. But this isn't a major priority area despite BB and SG failing to delight us, as we didn't really struggle for goals last season and are only missing the 4 goals in 38 from DG and the 2 in 15 from DS. Dack hopefully won't miss half the season, which should cover those in itself, and I have a feeling BB and SG will score more than last season (but probably still not set the league alight). We do also have Vale and Butterworth on the fringes, might be good un's, might be crud un's.

6. Back up RB - not majorly fussed about this one, but it'd be nice to feel like there is no chance of EB lining up at full back. Nyambe is prone to the odd twinge and short layoff, but he does at least seem to be the first pick there now, and I'm happy with him. JRC would be an able deputy but it looks like we're going to need him further up the pitch when we can. Don't see much sense in a loan here unless it's almost free, but if we could find a good young cheap RB with promise, especially one with versatility, it'd be nice. Still question marks over Nyambe signing a deal after all.

7. Anything else if sufficient quality at a good deal. I know some people insist we need wingers, but we don't play with them, and aren't happy with our CM options, but we have nine million of them. I'm confident based on how we did last season that if we just fix up that crappy defence we should be good to launch a serious playoff fight if TM doesn't sabotage it with barmy selections. A few less pathetic capitulations and we'd have been right up there. We also have a mostly young squad, many of whom should be better after another year of experience and growth. That isn't to say that another player of real quality in pretty much any area couldn't propel us to

So I'd say we absolutely must be signing those top 2, and doing everything in our power to get the next 2. If we end up with 3 of that 4, so be it, it happens, but anything less is unacceptable and unlikely to see us progress. I don't really like that SW is already talking as if 4 might be the ceiling. Seems every summer we water down expectations for numbers after starting high.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 9

28 minutes ago, OssyLad said:

Get a grip lad, we could end up like Bolton and Bury any day if venkys decide to pull the plug. Which I hope won’t be soon. I’d rather us be sensible in the market rather than go all out and end up shit creek due ffp. Most Rovers fans these days need to pull there heads out of the sand. We can’t compete anymore. Our fan base is shocking for one and 2 we don’t have the appeal anymore

its all down to venkys and how badly they got advised and slowly but surely they’re trying to put it right, but it’s gonna take time 

‘Shocking fanbase’

’Venky’s trying to put it right’

Divide and conquer was never so easy...

• Like 6

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I just pointed out the existence of the wage cap, something you questioned a few weeks.

Not really sure of the relevance of your points here to that issue. The salary cap Waggott talks about appears to relate to a cap on individual players wages, it doesn't relate to the wage budget for the whole club. 

did I question the existence of a wage cap? When?

I questioned the statement 'we can't compete with half this league'

Irrespective of Waggott's hot air i refuse to accept that a club owned by billionaires losing £20 million a year and by the CEOs own admission rank average on wages paid out 'cannot compete'

Anyway, let's not start this debate off again.

On 28/08/2020 at 15:21, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

We have a wage cap that will be lower than half the clubs in the Championship. We can't compete with any of them.

On 28/08/2020 at 15:52, JHRover said:

Your source for this wage cap and how it compares to others?

Care to name me the 12+ clubs in this league we can't compete for on wages?

By my count there are 8 clubs receiving parachute cash. Including Middlesbrough who are in their final year of it and Swansea and Huddersfield who are struggling financially. Cardiff are another who don't spend big.

I would hope we can compete with everyone else in this division. If we can't then what exactly do Venkys bring to the party and why are we losing the neck end of £20 million a year whilst all these other clubs lose a fraction of that?

@JHRover

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

And how it compares to others which is the relevant part for the 'we can't compete' stuff?

Again, I'm answering the question you just asked. You did question the existence of a wage cap and I've provided the evidence. The 'we can't compete' stuff has already been discussed at length and related to our overall wage budget which is one of the lowest in the league.