BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No one has suggested that we have Fisher as number 2 goalkeeper. I think I am the only one to question the rumour, and my main doubt is whether we should spend a fee of our limited resources on a sub, rather than just picking up a freebie, maybe someone like Rob Elliott. I would be surprised if they sold him for the price you mentioned.

In terms of quality, I am sure he would be fine, although I am not sure that Boro fans are overly arsed that he might be going.

I also would be surprised to see him leave his hometown club where he is sub to come here again to be sub. I doubt we would be giving him a big wage and Kaminski will be here for a couple of years so where is the opportunity for him to play and justify moving? 

In terms of resources, an experienced keeper like Elliott probably commands a larger wage and maybe signing on fee, negating the savings on a fee, and for someone who wouldnt be a saleable asset and would need replacing in a year or two.

However, I agree there doesn't seem much incentive from his end to move, other than maybe a little more money. He probably isn't on much there at all as a breakthrough young goalie, unless he signed a new deal since breaking through. I guess there's also the fact Kaminski is new here and we may not find him satisfactory, which would give the kid an opening. If he rates his ability he will expect to take advantage of any opportunity.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But Pears is 3rd choice and was only on bench cos of their other keeper injury. 

So does he want to be back playing under 23's football? 

I'm sure he does want play and I would want to play. If he came here he would be challenge for number 1 spot and pushing Kaminski for his spot. Luetwiler never challenge Raya or Walton for the number 1 jersey when here. Pears would IMO. Kaminski might be number 1 at the minute but I want to see number 2 pushing the number 1 for jersey not just happy with sitting on the bench earning a big wages

Also IMO Pears fee and wages would be less than Elliott's wages IMO. Does anyone know what Elliott's wages was at Newcastle?

I dont think hes gonna play much at either club so he will be upgrading from sitting in the stand to sitting on the bench, and potentially from playing for the reserves weekly to playing a cup game or 2.

Elliotts wage at Newcastle is irrelevant. His current wage is zero. As I said, no point speculating about unknown wage demands.

Would be happy enough with Pears but im skeptical about the potential fee in light of our defensive needs and also am confused as to why he would come and find the irony of you lambasting others for going to clubs to sit on the bench yet when its a player coming here you put a positive spin on it to be rather amusing.

26 minutes ago, rigger said:

I am not excusing our awful defenders. But by playing the high press the way we do, does not give them any cover from midfield.

It's really ballsy move by Mowbray. Straight out of Klopps "heavy metal football" playbook.

Level of fitness to make it work is extreme. But I definitely prefer it to last year's initial "lump it to Gallagher on the wing" tactics which were rubbish.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not every player needs resale value, he wont develop much sat on the bench and any wage discussion is purely speculative.

Not really.

I know how much Rob Elliot (circa £15k a week) was on at the Toon and how much he would want to move on.

Pears on the otherhand has talent, will become a better keeper and challenge Kasinski and would be overall vastly cheaper (circa £3k-£4k a week) than Elliot a player I advocated a week or two ago. He would also give us an option got years to come whilst Elliot has a short expiration date in playing days.

18 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

A free transfer so that the money can be spent where it is needed most, on the defence. The likes of Luke Steele, Lee Camp, Jordan Archer all have plenty of Championship experience and are available on frees.

Luke Steele isn't as good as Pears.

Lee Camp isn't as good as Pears.

Jordan Archer is as good, but will be on at least 3 times the wages.

Free transfers aren't always as cheap as deals where fee's are paid.

As I said above. A deal for Rob Elliot or Jordan Archer would likely cost more than a deal for Pears over the course of 2 seasons when you factor in resale and potential development.

In a perfect world Jordan Archer would come in on reduced wages to challenge Kasinski. But I think he wouldn't come in unless assured 1st team football.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Not really.

I know how much Rob Elliot (circa £15k a week) was on at the Toon and how much he would want to move on.

Pears on the otherhand has talent, will become a better keeper and challenge Kasinski and would be overall vastly cheaper (circa £3k-£4k a week) than Elliot a player I advocated a week or two ago. He would also give us an option got years to come whilst Elliot has a short expiration date in playing days.

As I said above. A deal for Rob Elliot or Jordan Archer would likely cost more than a deal for Pears over the course of 2 seasons when you factor in resale and potential development.

In a perfect world Jordan Archer would come in on reduced wages to challenge Kasinski. But I think he wouldn't come in unless assured 1st team football.

It's a second choice keeper who cares about resale value and if he is going to sit on the bench most of the time then his value isn't exactly going to sky rocket. All I want from a reserve keeper is someone with some experience who can comfortably fill in and who can also if needed give Kaminski some advice should he at any point struggle to adapt to the Championship. Leutiwler was ideal for the role in League 1 and I think someone like Camp or Steele would be ideal for the role this and probably next season, by which point hopefully one of the young keepers we already have on our books will hopefully be ready for the first team squad.

Edited by Ewood Ace

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think hes gonna play much at either club so he will be upgrading from sitting in the stand to sitting on the bench, and potentially from playing for the reserves weekly to playing a cup game or 2.

Elliotts wage at Newcastle is irrelevant. His current wage is zero. As I said, no point speculating about unknown wage demands.

Would be happy enough with Pears but im skeptical about the potential fee in light of our defensive needs and also am confused as to why he would come and find the irony of you lambasting others for going to clubs to sit on the bench yet when its a player coming here you put a positive spin on it to be rather amusing.

Well you don't know that for the same reasons @bluebruce posted, But he would be putting pressure on him to performance and keep performing something we didn't have with Luetwiler pushing either Walton or Raya here. Do you accept this point? 

Surely it better playing part of the 1st team squad than at his age being number 3 or 4 keeper playing under 23's football. 

My Elliott question was a general question to see if anyone knew or any idea. 

Pears isn't just coming to sit on the bench but challenge Kaminski for that number 1 jersey in the team. Thats the difference. Look at Arsenal number 3 Matt Macey age 26 who is happy there and earning a wage at his age. He never played a game for them. Look at Martinez at Arsenal who wants to leave First team football and not happy at being a number 2. Or our number 1 Kaminski who wanted to leave his club in Belgium to come and play for us. Yes he has to perform to keep the shirt and having competition for that jersey helps increase performances IMO. 

13 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's really ballsy move by Mowbray. Straight out of Klopps "heavy metal football" playbook.

Level of fitness to make it work is extreme. But I definitely prefer it to last year's initial "lump it to Gallagher on the wing" tactics which were rubbish.

I love to see us play this way. But the fitness side of things really comes in if you loose the press and the midfield has to get back to cover the defence. Dolan has shown he is adept at this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Not really.

The wages are guesses but one thing that is a fact is that Elliott is earning less than Pears at the moment!

Im not sure there would be much development either sitting on the bench week in week out. I dont necessarily think that resale value needs to be a priority of a sub keeper, just someone who can come in and be dependable as and when required.

In terms of standard though, Pears would probably be as good a number 2 goalkeeper as we could get and I would be content as long as it doesnt hinder us affording competent defenders.

Archer isnt very good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

It's a second choice keeper who cares about resale value and if he is going to sit on the bench most of the time then his value isn't exactly going to sky rocket. All I want from a reserve keeper is someone with some experience who can comfortably fill in and who can also give Kaminski some advice should he at any point struggle to adapt to the Championship. Leutiwler was ideal for the role in League 1 and I think someone like Camp or Steele would be ideal for the role this and probably next season, by which point hopefully one of the young keepers we already have on our books will hopefully be ready for the first team squad.

Two flaws with your thinking 

One- The owners are looking at resale value. Signings are investments and not stop-gaps

Two- Surely we want players who can challenge the dominant starters?

• Like 1

Just now, RovingRover said:

Two flaws with your thinking 

One- The owners are looking at resale value. Signings are investments and not stop-gaps

Two- Surely we want players who can challenge the dominant starters?

You are never going to get much if any of a resale value from a second choice keeper, take Leutwiler as an example a cheap back up signing but we still made a loss on him. I'd rather get a steady experienced back up option on a free and spend money on positions where we have no dominant starter i.e. Centre back, Left back.

1 minute ago, Bohinen 22 said:

You’re spot on mate. New keeper in a new country, making his debut. Needs support and encouragement and not one pat on the back for a better save than that clown Walton made all last season. Pathetic response from teammates. Indicative of the gutless players we have. Maybe he shouts a little too much at them and they don’t like it. Like I said pathetic.

You only need to look at the players when ever we concede a goal no one rallying the players they just all walk back to their positions with their heads down. We are lacking any really strong characters and have far too many weak ones.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

You are never going to get much if any of a resale value from a second choice keeper, take Leutwiler as an example a cheap back up signing but we still made a loss on him. I'd rather get a steady experienced back up option on a free and spend money on positions where we have no dominant starter i.e. Centre back, Left back.

That's the flaw.

You need a keeper to challenge. Not a keeper to just sit there and come on when called upon.

I went Kasinski to feel like the No.2 keeper is breathing down his neck so he is on his toes to keep form.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

You only need to look at the players when ever we concede a goal no one rallying the players they just all walk back to their positions with their heads down. We are lacking any really strong characters and have far too many weak ones.

Arsenal just got £20m for their second choice keeper. However I agree that the priorities are for LB and CB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

A free transfer so that the money can be spent where it is needed most, on the defence. The likes of Luke Steele, Lee Camp, Jordan Archer all have plenty of Championship experience and are available on frees.

The handful of games I’ve seen archer play he was immense. Be more than happy with him