BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I can't really comment from his time at Gillingham, didn't see it.

What I do know is Dack scores the vast majority of his goals in the box. Hes a poacher really. I can't see how that meshes with him running miles around the centre of the pitch manically closing down in a 3 man midfield. 

Ideally he operates in a free role within the 3.  That may mean no Holtby.  Running with  the ball  from deep or arriving late in the box.  As Briansol mentioned. Dack wasn't good as a false 9 up top.  Just didn't work. 

That's if TM sticks with 433.  He may well tinker things!

50 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I just can't see any manager wanting Dack in a middle 3 when he scores so many goals.  Reckon when everyone's fit/bought it will be something like :

Kaminski

Nyambe.   Lenihan.    Ayala.  Cunningham?

Travis.  Holtby.  Johnson

Dolan.     Dack.   Armstrong.

Subs : Pears?, Williams, Rothwell, Evans, JRC, Gallagher, Brereton

Decent team that. Though it has to be said a bit weird. 

12m in strikers on the bench - sounds good at least ???

• Backroom

Interesting that nobody has signed Marcus Maddison yet. As far as I can tell he's still without a club. Wonder what's stopping somebody from signing him? Is his attitude really that bad? That or his agent is making ridiculous wage demands.

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Which is kinda funny as I suspect he would be better further up. Has all the tools to be an Nzonzi type player, defensively he is solid but not convinced yet he is ever going to be truly top drawer at stopping the ball landing in the net. Has a lot to learn, but he can really slice a defence from deep if he was a DM.

I agree, he does have the tools to be a quality DM, fans at WBA said the same the season before too. Just fairly sure I have read that he sees himself as a CB and nothing else.

59 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

12m in strikers on the bench - sounds good at least ???

That is a decent team but how many times would injuries disrupt it? Middle 3--Travis injured, Holtby and Johnson injury prone and Johnson's form is very erratic.

We don't know in what shape Dack will be (no pun intended!) and as you point out, we haven't got Cunningham as yet.

However i do agree that if that team turned out regularly we'd do quite well.

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

Interesting that nobody has signed Marcus Maddison yet. As far as I can tell he's still without a club. Wonder what's stopping somebody from signing him? Is his attitude really that bad? That or his agent is making ridiculous wage demands.

Is he good enough for the championship? Too expensive for league one sides with the wage cap ?

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

Odd isnt it? Obviously a good L1 player but struggled at Hull in the Championship (though they were in freefall having lost their two best players). Probably a combination of all the above. Probably thinks he deserves a Championship club/wedge but not many takers due to wage demands/attitude. His ego probably wouldnt allow him to drop back down to L1 and there is also the wage cap. 

• Backroom
Just now, Beanie01289 said:

Is he good enough for the championship? Too expensive for league one sides with the wage cap ?

I was under the impression there were a few Championship clubs interested - you'd think on a free someone would take a punt, as his wages surely wouldn't be that high. Goes without saying it's a very bad time to become a free agent with COVID having a major financial impact on all EFL clubs and the salary cap being imposed in L1 & L2. 

• Backroom
Just now, JacknOry said:

Odd isnt it? Obviously a good L1 player but struggled at Hull in the Championship (though they were in freefall having lost their two best players). Probably a combination of all the above. Probably thinks he deserves a Championship club/wedge but not many takers due to wage demands/attitude. His ego probably wouldnt allow him to drop back down to L1 and there is also the wage cap. 

He only ended up appearing 7 times for Hull and from recollection didn't look very impressive when we played them either. I thought he'd find a club fairly quickly but something is obviously amiss there. Don't think we'll be seeing him at Rovers regardless!

33 minutes ago, DE. said:

A few weeks ago I saw he was calling himself the most unwanted man in football or something, and basically tweeting a reminder that he is still a footballer. He sounded pretty desperate to get set back up with a club, so presumably his agent is making things difficult (which I'd call 'time to get a new agent' if I were him). You do wonder if he has managed to develop himself a bit of a reputation as trouble or something on the grapevine.

He can't be judged off a handful of games at a struggling club. It takes time to settle to a better league. He did score a goal too. Player-wise I'd certainly still have a look at him if the wages were cheap, he boasted fantastic stats for years just a league below, seems impossible that he doesn't have at least something to offer at this one.

Edited by bluebruce

• Backroom
Just now, bluebruce said:

A few weeks ago I saw he was calling himself the most unwanted man in football or something, and basically tweeting a reminder that he is still a footballer. He sounded pretty desperate to get set back up with a club, so presumably his agent is making things difficult (which I'd call 'time to get a new agent' if I were him). You do wonder if he has managed to develop himself a bit of a reputation as trouble or something on the grapevine.

He can't be judged off a handful of games at a struggling club. It takes time to settle to a better league. Player-wise I'd certainly still have a look at him if the wages were cheap, he boasted fantastic stats for years just a league below, seems impossible that he doesn't have at least something to offer at this one.

We both know that as soon as TM saw all of those tattoos Maddison's name was hastily scrubbed from the shortlist. 

12 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

He can't be judged off a handful of games at a struggling club. It takes time to settle to a better league. He did score a goal too. Player-wise I'd certainly still have a look at him if the wages were cheap, he boasted fantastic stats for years just a league below, seems impossible that he doesn't have at least something to offer at this one.

yup just read that - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/marcus-maddison-says-hes-received-18756502

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I just can't see any manager wanting Dack in a middle 3 when he scores so many goals.  Reckon when everyone's fit/bought it will be something like :

Kaminski

Isn't it funny - we all watch the same team each week, but my side would be massively different to yours.

I'd do something like:

Pre-Dack

Travis, Holtby, Rothwell

JRC, Armstrong, Brereton

Post-Dack

Travis, Holtby, Rothwell

Dack

Brereton, Armstrong.

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Isn't it funny - we all watch the same team each week, but my side would be massively different to yours.

I'd do something like:

Pre-Dack

Travis, Holtby, Rothwell

JRC, Armstrong, Brereton

Post-Dack

Travis, Holtby, Rothwell

Dack

Brereton, Armstrong.

Always surprised how underrated JRC is. He's our best left back, right back and right wing player imo.

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Post-Dack

Travis, Holtby, Rothwell

Dack

Brereton, Armstrong.

This is the exact front 6 I think was the plan. Its really nicely balanced as well. Travis and Rothwell provide the legs, and Holtby growing into the new midfield general role. Brereton and Armstrong need to get a partnership going here.

Edited by Fraserkirky

6 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Kaminski

Too many players not out of position for TM to pick that side. Not much hold up play in that front 3 though. 

4 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Always surprised how underrated JRC is. He's our best left back, right back and right wing player imo.

Better at right back than Nyambe? No chance

Best left back? Possibly, Bell is naff but he is left footed. JRC isnt great defensively.

Right wing? Only have a couple of games playing there to judge him but he didnt exactly set the world alight playing there. Hasn't created much from the wing in the first team.

7 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I was listening to an old podcast (Undr the Cosh) and they had Gary Roberts on. Very candid but what a bellend. Drink, drugs and gambling were his only vices - and he has no regrets “because he really enjoyed himself” he explained it as he took another swig from a pint that was stored below the table (I’m guessing it was on a tray of six given he was a 10-20 can kind of guy). It does open your eyes to some of the “characters” in the game who literally piss away their talent. I sometimes think that fans should be told why players are dropped as it might provide a different perspective on managers’ personnel decisions.

And I’m not saying Maddison has any such vices just that you never know because the ‘football family’ always keeps these things in-house - maybe because they are a big part of the problem. Pressure, youth, and money are a bad combination without good advice. All footballers under 21 should get ‘pocket money’ and some kind of investment fund instead of huge wages.

5 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Mowbray says his best position is outside left.

He's not better than Nyambe and how you can make that claim after seeing him a grand total of no times (?) in a competitive match at RB I just don't know?

• J*B unpinned this topic
  • Herbie6590 unfeatured this topic