23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The thing is mate those stats could have come from a hell of a  lot of our recent games. We don't convert  enough shooting opportunities/chances into goals. There's a reason for that.

100% agree pal. We need to convert. But my reply was to a person who claimed we don’t make chances.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do we know there is no urgency? 3 years ago.. Back 4 v Southend 2017 Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew (c), Williams,    All 4 players still at the club and 3 nailed on to start ag

West Bromwich Albion are Founder Members of the Football League, they’ve spent around 80 seasons as a top flight club (10 seasons more than us), they’ve also won numerous trophies. They are a historic

Don't take it personally. He might have had a drink. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well until recently we were trying to become a possession based, play it out from the back, style team. With out much success in my opinion. That appears to have changed with the signing of Ayala and the pursuit of Kipre  Neither of those are noted for their passing ability. None of the existing centre halves at the club are any better in that respect.  My main criticism of Mowbray is that he's never really come up with a way of playing that suits the players we have at the club, most of whom are his signings. It was only the very basic long ball to Graham bringing Dack into play that seemed to work.

I await with baited breath our latest change of style.

The goalkeeper is good with his feet and starting moves.In my opinion pre season and the 3 competitive matches we have played we are still playing a passing game but moving the ball much quicker and forward more often rather than all the sideways passing we did last season 

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Did we create any good chances aside from the second for Armstrong? Many were speculative. Even on Tuesday, the chance quality was poor for all the passing betweem Lenihan and Williams. Bar Armstrong, we are looking blunt across the frontline and succeptible on the counter.

What I call a chance is the sort of opening were you think -" Bloody hell, we should have scored there, that was a sitter ". Not the sort of opening were when the ball goes wide of goal you think - " That was a good effort ".

59 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Doesn't really hold any water that argument. Managers get replaced by better managers and suddenly the goals against start drying up and the team starts winning - yet the same players are on the pitch. 

Mowbray has decided to play in a way that leaves us open at the back. That is just how it is. He will live or die by how that pans out results-wise this season.

And nobody would complain we were boring if we won 1-0 every week. That's just a silly argument. 

Of course it holds water. 

Every single goal we concede isn't a direct result of being 'left open at the back'. Of course it can leave you exposed if you aren't organised, but there's been far, far more issues than just that. We haven't even got an organised back line a lot of the time, the defending on set pieces is suspect.

Of course he's partly to blame for this, he picks the players and signs new ones (or doesn't in recent seasons).

The key to the defence improving like so many things in life, is at least 'fixing the basics'. Hopefully with better personnel in place that will happen but the jury is sat firmly in the waiting room for now ready to cast their verdict.

Last roll of the dice for me for Tony, he's had longer than a lot of managers would have been given to sort the defence, in the interest of early season optimism I'm hoping he can nail it this time.

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

We haven't even got an organised back line a lot of the time, the defending on set pieces is suspect.

That comes from the manager and coaches. Set-piece drills until it's perfect. It's the same issues at Rovers for the last three seasons, can't defend crosses, can't defend set-pieces, and exposed down the flanks. Nothing to do with the players, and everything to do with the manager and how he sets the team up. 

We'll see how we do first 10 games of the season. Hopefully B'mouth was a one-off for this season and we are a lot tighter at the back. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

That comes from the manager and coaches. Set-piece drills until it's perfect. It's the same issues at Rovers for the last three seasons, can't defend crosses, can't defend set-pieces, and exposed down the flanks. Nothing to do with the players, and everything to do with the manager and how he sets the team up. 

It does, but they aren't in the pitch with them, you can see time and time again how pissed off he is because someone has defended like a schoolboy. If you think things can't change with better players in place then so be it.

Just now, Ossydave said:

It does, but they aren't in the pitch with them, you can see time and time again how pissed off he is because someone has defended like a schoolboy. If you think things can't change with better players in place then so be it.

Mowbray treats them like schoolboys, so it's no real surprise they act like it, from time to time. Mowbray micromanages everyone and everything on the pitch. If he doesn't tell someone to organise the defence, they won't.

Sure better players help, but it's down to Mowbray and I don't see him changing.

8 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

We'll see how we do first 10 games of the season. Hopefully B'mouth was a one-off for this season and we are a lot tighter at the back. 

The thought that goes through my head when I see us concede goals is that they are the sort of goals you see in pre-season friendlies. Nobody is really busting a gut to get a tackle in, throwing themselves into a block to prevent a shot or a cross coming in, risking a clash of heads to prevent a header etc.  Nobody at the back seems to be too put out when we go a goal down.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The thought that goes through my head when I see us concede goals is that they are the sort of goals you see in pre-season friendlies. Nobody is really busting a gut to get a tackle in, throwing themselves into a block to prevent a shot or a cross coming in, risking a clash of heads to prevent a header etc.  Nobody at the back seems to be too put out when we go a goal down.

Nobody marshals the defence. We can have 3 men around 1 bloke and 2 others are free. No leadership on the pitch (or off it).

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The thought that goes through my head when I see us concede goals is that they are the sort of goals you see in pre-season friendlies. Nobody is busting a get to a tackle in, throwing themselves into a block to prevent a shot or a cross coming in, risking a clash of heads to prevent a header etc.  Nobody at the back seems to be too put out when we go a goal down.

There's certain ruthlessness that the team lacks that possibly is representative of Mowbray. He is an idealist, wants his teams to play a certain way, keep possession, control midfield etc. The aesthetics seem to matter as much to him as the end result. In fairness to him he is closer to realising his own style now, as we do seem to control the ball more and we've now introduced the high-press to win the ball back quicker. I think we'll look a lot better this season and play some good stuff. I just don't think it will translate into enough clean sheets to get in the top 6, because I think the same weaknesses will exist at the back. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Wonder if we will look to sign Whiteman now that Trav is injured for the foreseeable? 

I have an inkling that we will now pursue him

It would seem odd to meet twice, our star midfielder goes injured, and we don't put the bid in.  Just the numbers i would think

20 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

What are we looking at fee wise for Manning? Last year of his deal isn’t he. £500k?

My mate who is a QPR fan said £5m had been mooted. But he also said Eze was off to Palace for £28m so definitely has a habit of exaggerating figures. In saying that I would say 500k is definitely on the low side. I'd be thinking he would still be about £1.5m at least.

21 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

What are we looking at fee wise for Manning? Last year of his deal isn’t he. £500k?

Depends how many are in for him.

I reckon we will spend money on a LB and a GK and get loans for CM, CB and that will be it.

How many loans can we get? If we can get a third maybe a loan striker. Although that would be a stunning indictment of Brereton and Gallagher.