5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He says we got no money but then says we can bring in 1 permanent signing or a couple of loans. Dont think Mowbray wants to say much about transfers today. 

He says we would know from our number 1 target the answer before today game. So we will see. 

We still need a left back and Back up keeper in

If those are genuinely Mowbray's comments and assuming he has been accurately quoted over the last few weeks then I think he needs testing for drugs because it makes no sense.

The only logic behind those comments are that he is trying to dampen expectations and make people believe we are skint as part of his transfer strategy.

We have other positions in greater need than LB? Where?

What happened to the domino effect and moving onto the next incoming after Ayala?

Now we are so hard up that we are having to sacrifice some positions? If so I sure hope Ayala is the missing piece of the jigsaw to make it worthwhile.

His comments are completely inconsistent with those he has made previously.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do we know there is no urgency? 3 years ago.. Back 4 v Southend 2017 Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew (c), Williams,    All 4 players still at the club and 3 nailed on to start ag

West Bromwich Albion are Founder Members of the Football League, they’ve spent around 80 seasons as a top flight club (10 seasons more than us), they’ve also won numerous trophies. They are a historic

Don't take it personally. He might have had a drink. 

Posted Images

Thought dominos of signing(s) coming after Ayala, allegedly ambitious player(s).

would be happy with a perm LB, perhaps a loan CM and maybe a forward but these latter two might hold our own players’ development back.

hearing Brewster being touted as a target for perm to Sheffield. If Pool is not willing to sell him, could make a good loan. Still plenty of players like Tosin etc in limbo

14 minutes ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

Thought dominos of signing(s) coming after Ayala, allegedly ambitious player(s).

would be happy with a perm LB, perhaps a loan CM and maybe a forward but these latter two might hold our own players’ development back.

hearing Brewster being touted as a target for perm to Sheffield. If Pool is not willing to sell him, could make a good loan. Still plenty of players like Tosin etc in limbo

Even if they don't manage to sell Brewster they will end up losing him to a Prem team ,he has interest, Sheffield United would buy or loan him and he has already shown he can do it at Championship level 

Got no problem pleading poverty during the window especially with FFP sanctions threatening.

I know a 5-0 romp is not a day to judge your left back but I felt Bell's limitations during the stroll in the park became very clear.

Bell had the freedom of the Riverside. It was clear Ainsworth told the right side of his defense not to worry about leaving Bell in acres of space. He didn't use it to hurt them at any time all game. 

This totally convinced me of the urgent need for a new left back.

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

Look, people can criticise, mock and disbelieve. I think going forward I’ll be saying nothing, people love to shut down anyone who shares anything they’ve heard.

I get why people can feel conned, but I only posted what I’d been told. I don’t take any enjoyment from transfers being delayed, transfers going wrong or being given false info, I don’t know why people think that would be done from posters purposefully.

I was extremely careful only to share what I knew/was told and nothing more, I never gave a name because I didn’t know one. I’ll be saying nothing more on it, and anyone else who feels like having a jibe or a dig can cope with being ignored.

No criticism from me Joe - fans forum is exactly for the type of chat you brought. Many thanks for sharing it.
Seems there's so much complexity to signing a new player that we're not aware of and nothing is ever straightforward.

IMO Mowbray is a very cagey operator, keeps cards close to his chest and only shares what he wants people to know.

5 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

I think quite the opposite. Tony seems to be now thinking LB is not a priority signing now unfortunately.

Hmm...I’ve reflected on what he said and I don’t think that’s the case. Hes saying is that he only has enough now to buy one player OR loaned two or three...if that’s the case then he actually can’t buy Manning because the squad needs a 2nd choice keeper more. His thought process being we have a first team LB and the likes of JRC or Bennett to cover but if Kaminski gets injured we’re literally down to Fisher.

Either way, I hope he’s bluffing because we need a LB and a Keeper minimum. The sales of King and Raya should release some more money as will any internal sales...wonder if someone might come and snatch Dack on the last day? If Ollie Watkins is worth £28m surely Dack’s worth £10-15m even coming off a bad injury? He’s every bit as effective as Benhrama, Watkins etc in the Championhip...wouldn’t surprise me!

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Hmm...I’ve reflected on what he said and I don’t think that’s the case. Hes saying is that he only has enough now to buy one player OR loaned two or three...if that’s the case then he actually can’t buy Manning because the squad needs a 2nd choice keeper more. His thought process being we have a first team LB and the likes of JRC or Bennett to cover but if Kaminski gets injured we’re literally down to Fisher.

Either way, I hope he’s bluffing because we need a LB and a Keeper minimum. The sales of King and Raya should release some more money as will any internal sales...wonder if someone might come and snatch Dack on the last day? If Ollie Watkins is worth £28m surely Dack’s worth £10-15m even coming off a bad injury? He’s every bit as effective as Benhrama, Watkins etc in the Championhip...wouldn’t surprise me!

I would think Armstrong is more of a candidate for a substantial, late bid.

2 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Yeah, he’s the obvious one mate and the most likely. I just don’t think they’d let him go right now unless they got silly money - like the Watkins sale...£25m+

Edited by Paul Mani
4 minutes ago, martonrover said:

It would seem there's already a £10m bid in for him, stinking out the place. If he stays injury free and in the striker spot then 20+ goals this season is highly likely. At the going rate for talented young strikers that bid would have to be doubled you would have thought - especially as he's English. 

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It would seem there's already a £10m bid in for him, stinking out the place. If he stays injury free and in the striker spot then 20+ goals this season is highly likely. At the going rate for talented young strikers that bid would have to be doubled you would have thought - especially as he's English. 

Agreed, and the one thing about Venkys is they usually hold out for a higher fee.

Obviously, we want Armstrong to stay, and even if we did get offered silly money for him, it would be useless to us if we sell him at the death on deadline day.

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I'd be rejecting that £10m bid if it was for either Arma or Dack. 

The fees that people pay these days is obscene for players of similar/lesser quality.

They are both vital to our team so if anyone wants them, they need to pay the silly fees we see everywhere else.

Just now, martonrover said:

Agreed, and the one thing about Venkys is they usually hold out for a higher fee.

Obviously, we want Armstrong to stay, and even if we did get offered silly money for him, it would be useless to us if we sell him at the death on deadline day.

Yeah, it would be silly to let him go unless we do a Brentford and have a quality replacement lined up for a fraction of what we sell him for. He's a natural finisher. A bit like Dack. 

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

The fees that people pay these days is obscene for players of similar/lesser quality.

They are both vital to our team so if anyone wants them, they need to pay the silly fees we see everywhere else.

Exactly, look at the fees Brentford hold out for an eventually get. Why let AA go for 10 mil this season when if he scores 20+ goals he would be worth double or even triple that when you consider the fees the likes of Watkins have attracted. 

Dack is getting older so his value will eventually start to subside, so at one point we will have to consider selling him if we want value, either that or he helps get us promoted.

Edited by JacknOry
Just now, davulsukur said:

In the current market Arma is a £20m+ player and if he carries on scoring every week I can see someone bidding that before the end of this window...

Dack, even after his injury is worth £10-15m because he’s that good.

I wouldn’t be against us selling either so long as there was a plan to buy two or three good players (£2-5m) which would improve us overall.

High quality LB- we have so much talent coming through from the Academy now that anything else is in the nice to have category.

As for sales, thankfully the Prem window closes before our's and before any Managers are getting desperate.

I just hope the Raya and King deals get done pronto.

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

U23 is not the same as competitive league football, but my comment was not specifically about him as I have never seen him, I just think considering our problems in that position and his inability to ever make a squad, it is safe to say that he wont be in the managers thoughts in the near future.

And Tyrhys Dolan had only played Under 18’s football but he’s set the world on fire and nobody can deny his ability and potential.

Lewis Thompson would definitely do a better job than Bell for me.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Is it still the case that you can use an emergency loan if your keeper gets injured outside of the window? I would be going down that route. Fisher on the bench and then an emergency loan if we need to call on a keeper due to injury.

5 minutes ago, philipl said:

High quality LB- we have so much talent coming through from the Academy now that anything else is in the nice to have category.

As for sales, thankfully the Prem window closes before our's and before any Managers are getting desperate.

I just hope the Raya and King deals get done pronto.

I can’t see King and Raya not being sold soon tbh. Neither are even featuring in match day squads.

Great point about the Prem window closing first. That should give us the time to reinforce the squad if we sell AA. I can see Dack going to a Bournemouth or Watford who need to get back out of the league and will have parachute payments plus sales of assets cash sat in their pocket.

Weirdly, we could end up with substantial funds at the back end of the window. Hope we’ve got the right level of targets lined up just in case.

45 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

In the current market Arma is a £20m+ player and if he carries on scoring every week I can see someone bidding that before the end of this window...

Dack, even after his injury is worth £10-15m because he’s that good.

I wouldn’t be against us selling either so long as there was a plan to buy two or three good players (£2-5m) which would improve us overall.

Can't see teams buying Dack until Jan earliest.

From what we've seen so far, most people would say we are only a couple of quality signings away from genuine play off/promotion material. 

However, I think the Travis injury may have panicked him.

I've always been an advocate of permanent over loan signings.

Yet, surely now is the time for the 'expensive loan' quality to push us over the line - but it seems like he's had his fingers burnt.

Alternatively, this is the time he goes to Venkys and cashes in all his 'credit" for an extra few million.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
9 minutes ago, J*B said:

Three loans makes sense if they’re all players capable of starting. If we’re loaning squad players then just sign a proper left back. 

He has to go with the loans unless we get some incoming cash Josh. Because we need a keeper as bad as we need a LB and he’s saying we can only buy one.

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Can't see teams buying Dack until Jan earliest.

From what we've seen so far, most people would say we are only a couple of quality signings away from genuine play off/promotion material. 

However, I think the Travis injury may have panicked him.

I've always been an advocate of permanent over loan signings.

Yet, surely now is the time for the 'expensive loan' quality to push us over the line - but it seems like he's had his fingers burnt.

Alternatively, this is the time he goes to Venkys and cashes in all his 'credit" for an extra few million.

I agree. Two or three ‘Reed’ or ‘Tosin’ level loans for a LB, GK and CM and we’re pretty much all set to go for a top six push.

I think we’ll loan a LB, get a freebie GK and then buy a CM when cash gets freed up at the end of the window.