9 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Given the sort of fees I've seen in recent weeks regarding how much a loan really costs, I'd much-rather we brought in one permanent signing, than spend potentially more on a loan signing or two.

Thinking about loans we’ve had...

If we could get a Cunningham, Tosin, Reed and a keeper I’d say we’d be all set to go for promotion. 

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do we know there is no urgency? 3 years ago.. Back 4 v Southend 2017 Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew (c), Williams,    All 4 players still at the club and 3 nailed on to start ag

West Bromwich Albion are Founder Members of the Football League, they’ve spent around 80 seasons as a top flight club (10 seasons more than us), they’ve also won numerous trophies. They are a historic

Don't take it personally. He might have had a drink. 

Posted Images

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Thinking about loans we’ve had...

If we could get a Cunningham, Tosin, Reed and a keeper I’d say we’d be all set to go for promotion. 

Crazy thing is, we could have had all those now if we had played our cards better last summer.

32 minutes ago, unsall said:

Amazing how everyone thinks Armstrong is a 20 mil player now, quite a lot on here thought we overpaid for him, I didn’t, thought it was a good buy and we need to give TM a bit of credit for it.

If you actually go through the team there are some serious assets now,hopefully we can keep them and push on for promotion... 

Agreed

Arma - 20 million

Dack - 15 million

Travis - 10 million

lenihan - 5 million

nymabe - 5 million 

Dolan - 5 million 

Thats about 60 million worth of assists there I reckon. Of course a lot of those values rely on tying down players to long term contracts, but aside from maybe travis I feel those values are realistic. In the cases of Arma, Dolan and even Dack they could even go up 5 million further each with a successful season. 

In terms of where we currently are at with incoming, I think we should go all out to secure a quality perm left back. A loan would just put us in the same position next summer. I’m happy with where we are at in the centre back department. The emergence of Williams means we have 3 decent experienced CBs, with 2-3 emerging young ones to provide cover. We do need a back up keeper for sure, however I would rather gamble of the fitness of Kaminski than risk a season of bell as first choice. In terms of midfield and attack, Whiteman and Jozwiak would of been the dream, but we probably have enough to get by, and both departments have started the season extremely well. 

The start of the season has been so encouraging, we have looked like a promotion worthy side at times, but there is important work to be done in the market if we are to sustain that. 

On a side note, are the people who suggested that someone had signed sticking with that knowledge? Are we waiting until Monday to announce? Or are we assuming that ‘the source’ got it wrong?

Edited by TruRover
10 hours ago, 47er said:

If he scores the winner at Deepdale he'll be a legend at 18!

Seriously what were Preston thinking of?

Clearly, Dolan is a very exciting talent.

To me, there are two points:

• You have to give these you lads a chance - they are not kids at 20, 21, 22, 23 upwards as Mowbray has historically and persistently stated and managed upon.  PNE didn't give the lad a chance and the rest will be history.
  • As I've said on this MB on countless occasions, those with real potential and talent batter down that first team door irrespective of how young they are.  We have a legion of 'youngsters' in the 20 to 23 year old range who many on here refer to as 'good prospects' - IMO, a good many of them wont be good enough for the Championship and they should be moved on.

Football is a simple game and very often the facts are black or white.

Said it before, no need to worry about Dack leaving right now. No club will be taking a punt on him for big bucks until they’ve seen him play again.

Couple of people on Twitter linking us with Luke Garbutt. Not a bad CV but doesn’t look to have played at a higher level than league one for a good couple of seasons. We can surely do better.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

And Tyrhys Dolan had only played Under 18’s football but he’s set the world on fire and nobody can deny his ability and potential.

Lewis Thompson would definitely do a better job than Bell for me.

Nail on head.

As I posted a few minutes ago, if you never give the lads a chance...................................

6 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Said it before, no need to worry about Dack leaving right now. No club will be taking a punt on him for big bucks until they’ve seen him play again.

Couple of people on Twitter linking us with Luke Garbutt. Not a bad CV but doesn’t look to have played at a higher level than league one for a good couple of seasons. We can surely do better.

yeah, spent last two seasons on loan in league One - 27 now too, so I dont think this is one we should be looking at.

10 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Luke Garbutt isn’t an upgrade on Bell trust me. And that’s saying something.

What I don’t understand is why we now only have money for one permanent signing/two loans? Does that mean; that if we had signed Kipre for £900k, that our business was done for the window with him and Kaminski? Surely that’s complete bollocks? Where’s the Kipre transfer fee gone?

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

What I don’t understand is why we now only have money for one permanent signing/two loans? Does that mean; that if we had signed Kipre for £900k, that our business was done for the window with him and Kaminski? Surely that’s complete bollocks? Where’s the Kipre transfer fee gone?

Ayala's wages and signing on fee mostly I expect. 

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what Mowbray says in regards to transfers it often turns out complete twaddle. It's like he doesn't really know what's going on but with our owners and the way transfer windows work things can change by the hour. So sometimes he probably doesn't know where things are at.

Edited by tomphil
1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

He has to go with the loans unless we get some incoming cash Josh. Because we need a keeper as bad as we need a LB and he’s saying we can only buy one.

It would appear, reading what Mowbray has said about transfers, that Venkys have approved either one more player in on a transfer or a couple in on loans. The article didn't read like money in from sell-ons would change his transfer budget.

If Ryan Manning is the LB, we're set to sign, we should. For this stage of the season, including the U23s, our injury list is more than a little alarming. We've what, 10 players injured?

Mowbray did talk about wanting a second goalkeeper, a second CB, a CM and CF. Win at Derby and/or more injuries and Mowbray may have a chance of getting more from Venkys, though I wouldn't count my chickens.

23 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Who?

16 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

We don’t really know what Ayala deal looks like, Maybe he was given a steady wage to keep him in place with current wage structure and the rest made up with a signing on bonus, 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

He has to go with the loans unless we get some incoming cash Josh. Because we need a keeper as bad as we need a LB and he’s saying we can only buy one.

I don't see how that is true.

GK - got a first choice now, hopefully decent and not let us down so far. Keepers are rarely injured. Backups inexperienced. Don't rate Fisher so far but he or others could prove sufficient. Emergency keeper loans might still be a thing?

LB - first choice is undeniably not good enough (which some would consider putting it very lightly) and having a regular detrimental effect on the team. Has occasional injury troubles. Best backups are a RM who would have to move from his main position or a CB who has shown he is decent at CB and just as bad as Bell it worse when played LB. 

Much rather recruit where we definitely have a problem than where we might have a problem. Obviously we could do with both.

Just now, bluebruce said:

I don't see how that is true.

GK - got a first choice now, hopefully decent and not let us down so far. Keepers are rarely injured. Backups inexperienced. Don't rate Fisher so far but he or others could prove sufficient. Emergency keeper loans might still be a thing?

LB - first choice is undeniably not good enough (which some would consider putting it very lightly) and having a regular detrimental effect on the team. Has occasional injury troubles. Best backups are a RM who would have to move from his main position or a CB who has shown he is decent at CB and just as bad as Bell it worse when played LB. 

Much rather recruit where we definitely have a problem than where we might have a problem. Obviously we could do with both.

Just opinions...the manager appears to believe that a a back up keeper is every bit as needed as a lb

Edited by Paul Mani
3 minutes ago, Tormund said:

Barry Douglas on loan would do for me.

Yeah, he seems to be cursed. Been promoted twice (Wolves/Leeds) then finds himself replaced in the PL. 

Would take him, perm or loan at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Just opinions...the manager appears to believe that a a back up keeper is every bit as needed as a lb

Yes and the manager's belief in that regard is terrifying. Opinions sure but can you not logically lay out, like I did, why a potential weakness is a bigger concern than a definite weakness?

The fact you mostly just told me what the manager believes is making me think you're forming your opinion based on his, you see.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Three loans makes sense if they’re all players capable of starting. If we’re loaning squad players then just sign a proper left back. 

He’s usually quite ambitious in the loan market tbf...and I do think we are now at the position where a couple of top loans would tip us over!

29 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

On a third years salary for Ayala?