BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what Mowbray says in regards to transfers it often turns out complete twaddle. It's like he doesn't really know what's going on but with our owners and the way transfer windows work things can change by the hour. So sometimes he probably doesn't know where things are at.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

He has to go with the loans unless we get some incoming cash Josh. Because we need a keeper as bad as we need a LB and he’s saying we can only buy one.

It would appear, reading what Mowbray has said about transfers, that Venkys have approved either one more player in on a transfer or a couple in on loans. The article didn't read like money in from sell-ons would change his transfer budget.

If Ryan Manning is the LB, we're set to sign, we should. For this stage of the season, including the U23s, our injury list is more than a little alarming. We've what, 10 players injured?

Mowbray did talk about wanting a second goalkeeper, a second CB, a CM and CF. Win at Derby and/or more injuries and Mowbray may have a chance of getting more from Venkys, though I wouldn't count my chickens.

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Couple of people on Twitter linking us with Luke Garbutt. Not a bad CV but doesn’t look to have played at a higher level than league one for a good couple of seasons. We can surely do better.

Who?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

What I don’t understand is why we now only have money for one permanent signing/two loans? Does that mean; that if we had signed Kipre for £900k, that our business was done for the window with him and Kaminski? Surely that’s complete bollocks? Where’s the Kipre transfer fee gone?

We don’t really know what Ayala deal looks like, Maybe he was given a steady wage to keep him in place with current wage structure and the rest made up with a signing on bonus, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

He has to go with the loans unless we get some incoming cash Josh. Because we need a keeper as bad as we need a LB and he’s saying we can only buy one.

I don't see how that is true.

GK - got a first choice now, hopefully decent and not let us down so far. Keepers are rarely injured. Backups inexperienced. Don't rate Fisher so far but he or others could prove sufficient. Emergency keeper loans might still be a thing?

LB - first choice is undeniably not good enough (which some would consider putting it very lightly) and having a regular detrimental effect on the team. Has occasional injury troubles. Best backups are a RM who would have to move from his main position or a CB who has shown he is decent at CB and just as bad as Bell it worse when played LB. 

Much rather recruit where we definitely have a problem than where we might have a problem. Obviously we could do with both.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

I don't see how that is true.

GK - got a first choice now, hopefully decent and not let us down so far. Keepers are rarely injured. Backups inexperienced. Don't rate Fisher so far but he or others could prove sufficient. Emergency keeper loans might still be a thing?

LB - first choice is undeniably not good enough (which some would consider putting it very lightly) and having a regular detrimental effect on the team. Has occasional injury troubles. Best backups are a RM who would have to move from his main position or a CB who has shown he is decent at CB and just as bad as Bell it worse when played LB. 

Much rather recruit where we definitely have a problem than where we might have a problem. Obviously we could do with both.

Just opinions...the manager appears to believe that a a back up keeper is every bit as needed as a lb

Edited by Paul Mani

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Just opinions...the manager appears to believe that a a back up keeper is every bit as needed as a lb

Yes and the manager's belief in that regard is terrifying. Opinions sure but can you not logically lay out, like I did, why a potential weakness is a bigger concern than a definite weakness?

The fact you mostly just told me what the manager believes is making me think you're forming your opinion based on his, you see.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Three loans makes sense if they’re all players capable of starting. If we’re loaning squad players then just sign a proper left back. 

He’s usually quite ambitious in the loan market tbf...and I do think we are now at the position where a couple of top loans would tip us over!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

What I don’t understand is why we now only have money for one permanent signing/two loans? Does that mean; that if we had signed Kipre for £900k, that our business was done for the window with him and Kaminski? Surely that’s complete bollocks? Where’s the Kipre transfer fee gone?

On a third years salary for Ayala? 

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yes and the manager's belief in that regard is terrifying. Opinions sure but can you not logically lay out, like I did, why a potential weakness is a bigger concern than a definite weakness?

The fact you mostly just told me what the manager believes is making me think you're forming your opinion based on his, you see.

Not at all...I was just trying to make sense of what he said. Tbf he watches Fisher etc, he knows whether or not he / they can fill in for Kaminski?  

My belief is that we need a LB and a GK equally as much. So my opinion appears to be different from yours and the managers...hence why I said ‘opinions’

Either way, what I or you think has no real relevance.

Bringing in a few late loans was always in the pipeline as the late solution to recruitment.

Why?

Because that's what we have done every year and it is how they want to operate. 

I dont think that's suddenly changed in the last few weeks.

Mowbray may want to get permanents but it seems he can't.

Still need another GK, CB, LB and CM to come in and not doing so will leave us short.

Doing them on loan is just kicking it down the road until next summer when we face the same issues and probably other positions to fill as well if Nyambe walks and we have to sell one or two.

• Like 1

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Former Everton full back. Been out on loan from them since day dot, just been released at 27. Not played above league one level for yonks. Hopefully we’re after much better.

Sorry I was being flippant based on this 

https://talksport.com/football/724787/everton-carlo-ancelotti-confused-luke-garbutt-released/amp/

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
27 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Former Everton full back. Been out on loan from them since day dot, just been released at 27. Not played above league one level for yonks. Hopefully we’re after much better.

Think the joke went over your head there Gavlar!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

In the current market Arma is a £20m+ player and if he carries on scoring every week I can see someone bidding that before the end of this window...

Dack, even after his injury is worth £10-15m because he’s that good.

I wouldn’t be against us selling either so long as there was a plan to buy two or three good players (£2-5m) which would improve us overall.

That's what should have happened when Rhodes was sold but that money seemed to vanish.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's what should have happened when  was sold but that money seemed to vanish.

That’s the worry. Though both TM and Swag have talked about ‘selling a Maddison’ and then reinvesting and going up the season after...so fingers crossed