• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How do we know there is no urgency? 3 years ago.. Back 4 v Southend 2017 Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew (c), Williams,    All 4 players still at the club and 3 nailed on to start ag

West Bromwich Albion are Founder Members of the Football League, they’ve spent around 80 seasons as a top flight club (10 seasons more than us), they’ve also won numerous trophies. They are a historic

Don't take it personally. He might have had a drink. 

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Damien said:

If money isn’t there to buy or loan, I’d rather us utilise the academy and JRC across LB, RB and Wing. Bell has been... ok and we still have Williams. I’d rather not see us spunk our last pennies on players only to end up like Bolton and Wigan. 

We are comfortably mid table but with a little luck, we could sneak into the playoffs. 

IMO

Bell has been ok? There is a bit of money/leverage left to bring in someone permanently or a couple on loan as Mowbray mentioned. So im not sure it is a case of us "spunking our last pennies on players only to end up like Bolton and Wigan" which are 2 totally different situations. So there is no reason why we shouldnt have a left back at the end of the window and as soon as possible ideally even within Mowbrays adjusted comments about recruitment after seemingly a transfer meeting on Thursday that didnt go as well as expected.

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18734840.this-close---mowbray-feels-rovers-wont-far-away-year/

"While we've had amazing support, I feel we're almost on the cusp of having a pretty good team in this league this year but yet here we are, where in previous years we've been able to buy a £5m centre forward and a £6m striker, we are this close, yet this year because of Covid it's not there for us and I'm not sure we're right bang in the middle of it"

You shouldn't have wasted the money you did get, Tony.

First i am a fan of Mowbray but the sbove makes my head hurt when the striker is goal shy and neither play as centre forward when on the pitch ??

I'd also be wary of signing players given that del Williams has more goals than 11 million quid has bought ?

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

If you want an indication of how our window has gone, Preston are a full 61 pages ahead of us in their Summer Transfer Window thread.

I would expect us to finish above PNE given their apparent stagnation, but we all know that's not how it works in the real world.

Im not sure the number of pages in a transfer window thread on a respective forum is proof of the success of a window!

Ultimately we had many more holes to fill comparatively in that not only did they finish closer to the play offs but they also were less reliant on loans. We had no goalkeeper and a key centre back who had gone back.

I think they are one year ahead of us in terms of the cycle of their team, so we potentially have one extra year on them. They are in a situation now where they have Davies with a year to go on his contract and getting interest from other clubs, they have the same problem with Johnson and also Pearson although I dont know if he has got any interest. They might need to sell some and restart if they wont sign new deals.

I cant help but fear that we might get to a similar situation next summer if we dont go up. Armstrong, Lenihan and with his option Dack all have 2 years to run, and Nyambe only 1 year. It is probably going to be very difficult to get them to commit long term (although we must prioritise them urgently) but unless we can get them to sign or indeed get promotion (or at least close) it may be a case of having to sell some if not all of them next summer to get a fee for them. Luckily I think Travis is here for the next 3 years.

14 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

First i am a fan of Mowbray but the sbove makes my head hurt when the striker is goal shy and neither play as centre forward when on the pitch ??

I'd also be wary of signing players given that del Williams has more goals than 11 million quid has bought ?

Haha yeah probably best he doesn’t go there. Like hey look at all the cash I’ve blown in the past, wonder why there is no more.

Edited by Fraserkirky
1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Unless we are keeping Williams - still need cover at Centre Back - also need decent back up keeper.

I’m going purely off if it’s a choice between one signing or a few loans. If things change where we can bring two or three signings in then my comment is obsolete. I’d rather play Wharton if we are bobbling around midtable , maybe give magloire a game etc and re asses in summer. If we’re “in the mix “ then get the right players on loan to get us over the line

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Going off what Tony has said I think we need to spend the lot on a decent left back, see where we are in the next window and then if we are looking like we can sustain a play off place , go to India , show them how vital it is we don’t blow our best chance, ask them to sign a cheque or two (as we all know they never refuse) and get the quality in on loan to push us to where we need to be, if we are still mid table and inconsistent then save the begging bowl for the summer window and give some youth a chance if anyone is ready to step up or wee with the willy we have 

Thing is Gregg, there can be no begging bowl next summer. Our three year FFP cycle will be up and we will either have broken our budget for it or be very close.

I'm not sure on the specifics of the rules, but maybe you could argue that if we are just about inside it, we wouldn't get judged on it again for another season, meaning we could in theory have one last splurge and charge? But even assuming it works that way, can anybody really see the club, nevermind Venkys, taking that risk and massively over shooting the rules the next summer, getting sanctions for sure?

No point anybody mentioning the potential loopholes around it either, we are late enough into these processes to know that Venkys have no stomach for that. It would take them years to arrange at their pace too.

In essence, the league's rules will be dictating our budget from next summer on. That may even be the real source of limitation this summer too. It's not like we won't be aware of how close we are to it even before covid came along.

Really, it's this season or practically start all over again and sell to buy from then on. This is the last time we could really roll the dice on spending to go up. We clearly aren't. 

Playing hypothetical, assuming TM has approx 1.5m to play with, which is not an unreasonable guess. 

If he needs say minimum of 2 players, ie a lb and either keeper back up or Travis cover, a signing on fee of £200,000 - £250,000  per player should leave enough for salaries of around £10,000 pw which again is probably about where Rovers are. 

Or is that too simplistic? 

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure the number of pages in a transfer window thread on a respective forum is proof of the success of a window!

Ultimately we had many more holes to fill comparatively in that not only did they finish closer to the play offs but they also were less reliant on loans. We had no goalkeeper and a key centre back who had gone back.

I think they are one year ahead of us in terms of the cycle of their team, so we potentially have one extra year on them. They are in a situation now where they have Davies with a year to go on his contract and getting interest from other clubs, they have the same problem with Johnson and also Pearson although I dont know if he has got any interest. They might need to sell some and restart if they wont sign new deals.

I cant help but fear that we might get to a similar situation next summer if we dont go up. Armstrong, Lenihan and with his option Dack all have 2 years to run, and Nyambe only 1 year. It is probably going to be very difficult to get them to commit long term (although we must prioritise them urgently) but unless we can get them to sign or indeed get promotion (or at least close) it may be a case of having to sell some if not all of them next summer to get a fee for them. Luckily I think Travis is here for the next 3 years.

Agreed. We have a Category One youth system, proficient Under 23's team and superb training facilities so that new and improved players come through our ranks to replace those lost. Preston simply don't have this luxury. It's why we'll succeed over them in the future in my opinion.

30 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Playing hypothetical, assuming TM has approx 1.5m to play with, which is not an unreasonable guess. 

If he needs say minimum of 2 players, ie a lb and either keeper back up or Travis cover, a signing on fee of £200,000 - £250,000  per player should leave enough for salaries of around £10,000 pw which again is probably about where Rovers are. 

Or is that too simplistic? 

Who comes in for £200,000-250,000 that's good enough to be a squad player? You could maybe pick up a Marcus Maddison on a freebie to come and sit on the bench, but I can't see him enjoying that. Not many cheap/free players around that actually add any real quality to our squad.

Edited by JoeH
23 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Thing is Gregg, there can be no begging bowl next summer. Our three year FFP cycle will be up and we will either have broken our budget for it or be very close.

I'm not sure on the specifics of the rules, but maybe you could argue that if we are just about inside it, we wouldn't get judged on it again for another season, meaning we could in theory have one last splurge and charge? But even assuming it works that way, can anybody really see the club, nevermind Venkys, taking that risk and massively over shooting the rules the next summer, getting sanctions for sure?

No point anybody mentioning the potential loopholes around it either, we are late enough into these processes to know that Venkys have no stomach for that. It would take them years to arrange at their pace too.

In essence, the league's rules will be dictating our budget from next summer on. That may even be the real source of limitation this summer too. It's not like we won't be aware of how close we are to it even before covid came along.

Really, it's this season or practically start all over again and sell to buy from then on. This is the last time we could really roll the dice on spending to go up. We clearly aren't. 

Well this helps my arguement that if the taps are turned off we need to give as many of the youth lads ( that are good enough) minutes in a season we won’t get promoted to find out who is good enough and get them as much experience as possible Ready for next to give us the best chance of survival, raising the price of our assets and going into a season as relatively prepared as possible in any scenario 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I dont agree. I think we can be mid table IF we avoid any more injuries and IF our key men do the business.

However if we continue to sustain injuries or key men lose form our lack of depth and options is alarming and will probably see us struggle.

Even if we were in with a chance of the play offs, should we really be relying on luck to potentially 'sneak into' the play offs? Or should we be aiming higher and trying to take luck out of the equation as much as possible?

So you think the loss of Downing ,Tosin and Walton will make us relegation candidates if we lose any through injury?

The rest of the departures hardly played.

Rankin Costello seems to have taken to championship football, Buckley improving with every game, Improvement with Brereton, the emergence of Dolan.Dack, Evans and Gallagher to  to come back from injury.

I agree we are a few short of a sustained promotion challenge but the squad as it is will finish in the top half 

10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

So you think the loss of Downing ,Tosin and Walton will make us relegation candidates if we lose any through injury?

The rest of the departures hardly played.

Rankin Costello seems to have taken to championship football, Buckley improving with every game, Improvement with Brereton, the emergence of Dolan.Dack, Evans and Gallagher to  to come back from injury.

I agree we are a few short of a sustained promotion challenge but the squad as it is will finish in the top half 

Potentially yes. We are a side that goes from one extreme to the other. At times we can test anyone and outplay sides with great football. We can have runs of 4 or 5 games where we produce good results but we can just as easily go 5 games without a win and struggle by leaking goals.

We aren't a side that will grind out 0-0s or narrow 1-0 wins. Mowbray just doesn't have that approach in his locker. It will be all about trying to outplay and outscore opposition teams. I think sides like the Millwalls, Birminghams etc. with managers used to absorbing pressure will relish playing us.

I think it is too early to talk about relying on Dolan or Brereton. Whilst the signs may be positive so far it is very early days. The Championship is a long hard season usually for the tried and tested.

If we continue as we are i think we are likely to be anywhere between 12th and 18th. Lose a few to injury or sales and that could very easily drop to lower than 18th. It doesn't take much to happen in this league.

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We aren't a side that will grind out 0-0s or narrow 1-0 wins. Mowbray just doesn't have that approach in his locker. It will be all about trying to outplay and outscore opposition teams. I think sides like the Millwalls, Birminghams etc. with managers used to absorbing pressure will relish playing us.

Hang on. Are you saying Mr Cautious has been converted between seasons and has emerged as Mr Positive (or Mr Reckless if you prefer).

Doesn't compute with me, against everything he's done since he's been here. Mowbray would love it if we won games 1-0, he's just not able to achieve it.

47 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Agreed. We have a Category One youth system, proficient Under 23's team and superb training facilities so that new and improved players come through our ranks to replace those lost. Preston simply don't have this luxury. It's why we'll succeed over them in the future in my opinion.

We have no reason not to have a slight advantage over Preston long term, we have better infrastructure and a bit more money, so cant argue with that.

Preston were slightly ahead of us last season as the league table proved, and we lost much more in the summer, we had no keeper, Adarabioyo went back, Downing and Graham left. Our academy prospects havent really changed in terms of emergence solely this summer, Lenihan and Nyambe a key role, as does Travis although his injury is a blow, Rankin Costello is a squad filler for me, Buckley on the fringes too. Then again, we have signed a keeper, although we dont really know how good he is yet. We have signed a proven centre back. Plus a raw talent as a bonus wildcard. And of course, Preston seem likely to be vulnerable to losing players. Not that it really matters as a direct comparison unless we are directly competing for a top 6 place.

My point was more about our current squad situation in terms of contracts, and it going against the idea of a slow build. Most people seem to feel that we are destined for mid table, me included. I fear that we might have to do a bit of a restart if we dont go up this season however. If we get to the end of the season, we dont go up and Armstrong, Dack, Lenihan and Nyambe havent signed new deals, we might have to sell the first 3 (and potentially take a tribunal fee for the last) then it may be the start of a reset, and probably time for a new manager to go again. I just hope we can at least get some of them signed up, and/or of course get promoted!

15 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Kevin McDonald available on a free transfer from Fulham. Would be all over that if the wages arnt too much. Can play in central midfield and at CB and has two promotions in 3 seasons with Fulham. 

Looks like he's hardly played the past couple of seasons, has he been injured?. A no for me regardless, don't need another B. Johnson with no re-sale value and legs half gone.

I think earlier posts suggesting that Manning and other money signings depend on Raya/King deals getting over the line are spot on. It could potentially drag on until the end of the window but hopefully there's good news coming. We have a good mix of youth and experience in our current squad, and are only missing one or two pieces to the puzzle in order to challenge for promotion.

30 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Surely FFP rules have now been thrown out? Without benevolent owners pumping money into clubs to keep them afloat, many are likely to go bust. 

They haven't been changed so far.

1 hour ago, TruRover said:

Kevin McDonald available on a free transfer from Fulham. Would be all over that if the wages arnt too much. Can play in central midfield and at CB and has two promotions in 3 seasons with Fulham. 

All over that. Fantastic player at this level.